Author Topic: Kobe-wan!  (Read 7853 times)

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Kobe-wan!
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2005, 05:22:27 PM »
To compare 2 completely different positions to attempt to draw the conclusion you drew is simply another example of manipulating statistics to make them dance on the head of a pin Skander, and it certainly takes the intangibles out of the equation, JoMal’s assessment regarding head to head comparisons is spot on.

No one denies Dirk’s offensive skill, although I would submit that his effectiveness is at least in part due to the fact that he needs setting up more than just “occasionally”, he is not nearly as effective if left to initiate his own plays, indeed, he becomes somewhat vulnerable, hence the outside jumpers. I would hardly characterize Dirk as an above average defender, not even an average one, his rebounds come to him in the flow of the game and his height advantage, NOT because he is aggressive on the boards, he has never been accused of such a thing. I wonder who in their right mind would put him on a defensive level of Duncan, Garnett, Kirilenko, Shaq, Brand, O’Neal, Ben Wallace or a couple of others who inspire at least concern about how to compensate for their defense on the court.

Kobe on the other hand is a 3-time all defense player and he is KNOWN as a very good, very above average defender and clearly a top 5 offensive player, Dirk is, despite Skander’s statistical tap-dance, simply too one dimensional to qualify as top 5, you could make an argument for top 10 (I would argue that), top 15 is more in the ballpark.

Dan

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Kobe-wan!
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2005, 05:24:13 PM »
And BTW, I virtually NEVER use emoticons, I prefer logic.
 :up:  :rolleyes:  :cheers:  
Dan

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Kobe-wan!
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2005, 05:27:59 PM »
And WOW, they do not defend each other, so what head to head matchup would matter. Kobe had a great night while Dirk did not. Dirk's team did not win the matchup, but Kobe's game had little to do with how Dirk played and vice versa.

I was just being a bastard to Skandelous, didn't have time to debunk his points and stats.

And I'm being lazy right now as well cuase I should have begun my assault on the Kings to justify my points about Dirk, Kobe, Mavs and Lakers.  It's only logical.
That's true enough, but it is too late now. If you started in on the Kings, it would just make you look defensive and arguementative instead of the voice of reason :hail:  we have all come to expect from you, instead of the lazy, "OH, YEAH" poster you try to be. :crazy:  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Kobe-wan!
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2005, 05:30:40 PM »
I guess we can agree to disagree LOL.

We can at that.  In the meantime, I have some pretty pictures for you to enjoy.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo;_ylt=AlZ..._dna107&prov=ap

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo;_ylt=AvP...camb102&prov=ap

Now that's patrolin'  

:up:
DOOOOOOOOOD!

You're killing me with the Yahoo links today.  That makes 3 links to things I wanted to check out but cannot because I blocked Yahoo sports company wide.

:bash:  <--im on the left and the right.  We dont have a bash your own head smiley.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 05:31:19 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Kobe-wan!
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2005, 06:09:09 PM »
To compare 2 completely different positions to attempt to draw the conclusion you drew is simply another example of manipulating statistics to make them dance on the head of a pin Skander

How you non-chalantly wrap my statistical research, my coherent analysis, and the subsequent explanation of my observations and personal opinions garnered through years of playing and watching this game into a concise response drawing up the idea of dancing, the inconsequential image of a head of a pin, all while throwing the word "manipulating" is very impressive.  Empty but quite impressive.

Intangibles will be omni-present and never taken into full account.  The "intangibility" of intangibles also lends analysis upon their observation to be somewhat anecdotal, easily seen through personal opinion or bias.  That is why I try hard to draw conclusions upon numbers and facts, knowing full well they don't tell the whole story.  Taking comfort that they at least tell the same story.

I wonder who in their right mind would put him on a defensive level of Duncan, Garnett, Kirilenko, Shaq, Brand, O’Neal, Ben Wallace or a couple of others who inspire at least concern about how to compensate for their defense on the court.

I would consider those mentioned above as outstanding defensive players, far from the above-average category I place Dirk in.  So someone would have to be "out" of their right mind to mention Dirk along those names defensively.  By the same token, someone would have to be "out" of their mind to mention Dirk Nowitzki alongside Zack Randolph, Primoz Brezec, Marc Jackson, Lee Nailon, Tim Thomas and other truly one-dimensional players.

Kobe on the other hand is a 3-time all defense player and he is KNOWN as a very good, very above average defender and clearly a top 5 offensive player, Dirk is, despite Skander’s statistical tap-dance, simply too one dimensional to qualify as top 5, you could make an argument for top 10 (I would argue that), top 15 is more in the ballpark.

Kobe's superiority to Dirk defensively gives LESS of an advantage to his team as a five-man unit than does Dirk's superiority to Kobe offensively.  If you measure greatness of players with emphasis on team success AS WELL AS individual merit, then I maintain Dirk has more of a right to be included in the Top 5 best players in the league than Kobe.      

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Kobe-wan!
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2005, 06:10:01 PM »
You're killing me with the Yahoo links today. That makes 3 links to things I wanted to check out but cannot because I blocked Yahoo sports company wide.

No worries, just wait to get on your home PC.   :up:  
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Kobe-wan!
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2005, 08:02:27 PM »
Come on Skander! You can't be that obtuse (another cool word)! Dirk superior offensively to Kobe?!?!?!
To paraphrase Comic Book Guy, "there is no emoticon that expresses the ridiculousness of that statement".

Kobe creates inside and outside of the offensive scheme, with or without his teammates setting him up, he doubles Dirks APG (4.3-2.2) and forces the action inside drawing more fouls and more opportunities to score.

Dirk needs set plays to be effective, doesn't take command of the low post which should be his to control and becomes ineffective outside of the flow of the offense.
He allows the defense to dictate his shots and while it doesn't affect him too much to shoot perimiter shots, he's 7', he should OWN the paint, he doesn't, the same knock goes on Duncan for that matter.

In short, Kobe bring more to BOTH ends of the court, especially the defensive end, and no, we don't see anyone comparing Dirk to:
"Zack Randolph, Primoz Brezec, Marc Jackson, Lee Nailon, Tim Thomas and other truly one-dimensional players", but then, if you're trying to make a case he belongs in the top 5, you should be able to place him him in the upper levels defensively, you can't so he doesn't belong there.
Dan

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Kobe-wan!
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2005, 12:42:02 AM »
Wow.  Take a week off from work, and look at all the things I'm missing.

Where to begin.  Oh, well - let's get the difficult one out of the way first.

Kobe Bryant is far, far, far overrated defensively.  The guy is this "wonderful" pressure defender who directs people where they're supposed to go - right?  The average BOULDER could do the same thing (e. g. Erick Dampier).  What Kobe is doing is using superior back-line defenders (i.e., Shaquille O'Neal) to cover up for his defense.  And when Steve Smith - yes, the one that shoots from a different CENTURY - becomes a POST THREAT, you can't tell me Bryant is some sort of all-world defender.  This is a guy who relied on his help, and when the help defenders got worse, his defense did too.  It's SMART defense - but it's not GOOD defense.

And I'm now seeing folks on here overrating Kobe OFFENSIVELY.  The reason I say that is this:  Kobe Bryant is so geared toward being the focal point of the offense - even in the days when Shaq was there - that when you slow Bryant down, you sent his team into cardiac arrest offensively.  His overindulgence on the offensive end is to the detriment of his teammates, regardless of who they are.  The seeming best solution is to surround him with offensive stiffs, providing him a justification for NOT involving them, while at the same time, legitimizing some of the crap that he hoists up.

Nowitzki is a FAR better player offensively.  No, he doesn't generate his own shot as easily as Bryant.  Then again, Bryant doesn't generate his own shot as easily as Iverson or McGrady.  But there's more to offensive ability than generating your own shot.  Folks will point to Bryant's assist numbers.  Come on!  Put the ball in ANYBODY'S hands that much, and they're bound to get assists.  Bryant handles the ball more often than many starting point guards!

Nowitzki isn't the "generate your own shot" kind of player.  When you get right down to it, neither is Duncan, Garnett, or even Shaq.  Big players rely on shots being generated - yet it is their impact that makes or breaks most teams.

But Nowitzki as a DEFENDER?  Bryant's not good, but he's FAR better than Nowitzki!  I can't even make an argument for Nowitzki, despite the fact that he HAS improved (probably since Nash is no longer around to give him lessons in how to play bad defense).  And would you like to see WHY Nowitzki is a bad defender?  Here you go:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo;_ylt=AlZ..._dna107&prov=ap

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo;_ylt=AvP...camb102&prov=ap

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo?slug=cam...camb104&prov=ap

(Thanks for the links, Skander.  Too bad they don't prove your point, but prove mine.)

Picture number 1 shows Marko Jaric, a guard, getting into the lane, pushing Nowitzki off.  Good defense?  HOGWASH!  This picture shows me that:

a)  Nowitzki was late in getting over.  Note how the Mavericks behind Jaric have already closed the hole he went through.  Nowitzki has NOT closed the initial shot off - Jaric came from the left side, with his left hand.  Nowitzki should be in front of him.

B)  Nowitzki is positioned too high to cut off the direct attempt.  He's given Jaric the backboard to use.  A good defender would have gone low, forcing the defender to bring the ball back toward the middle - toward the top-side help.

c)  Nowitzki is soft.  Nowitzki's left hand is BEHIND and ABOVE the right arm that Jaric is using to push him off.   A tough defender doesn't let Jaric's right hand get in front of his left arm.  Doing that would force Jaric to face in for the shot - for a tough defender's waiting right hand.  Not only does that keep Jaric from shoving him, keep Jaric from beating him to the basket, but it stops the penetration.

Picture number 2 shows Odom releasing the left-handed shot against Dirk.  The move appears to be a move UNDERNEATH Nowitzki.  The picture shows that:

a)  Nowitzki was slow getting over.  Odom's a well-known lefty.  He's taken Nowitzki to his strong side.  His right shoulder has gotten under Nowitzki's right arm.

B)  Creampuff Nowitzki has again failed to use his left hand to prevent being displaced.  In this case, Odom's got Nowitzki's left arm pinned;  Nowitzki isn't going to get to use it at all.  Not to mention, Nowitzki is falling backward.  While this MIGHT go for a charge in today's NBA, it ISN'T one, because Nowitzki is FALLING, not giving ground, and secondly, Nowitzki hasn't squared up Odom.  This is an OBVIOUS blocking foul on Nowitzki.

Picture number 3 shows Odom completely beating Nowitzki.  He's already elevated, is by Nowitzki's left arm, and Nowitzki's right arm is above Odom's right arm - which isn't being used for the shot.  Odom lifts his right arm, and this is a blatant foul on Dirk.  Again, Nowitzki is showing LATE and SOFT to Odom's STRONG side.

Sorry, Skander, but where you see Nowitzki "patrolling" the lane, I see him being late in rotation or beaten in coverage.

Unless there's something truly special about a 2-guard, I'll always take a big over a 2-guard.  So I agree with Skander that I'd rather have Nowitzki than Bryant.  I don't know if I'd call EITHER of them top 5, since Duncan, Shaq, Garnett, and LeBron James are DEFINITELY top 4, and only one spot is left.  While you can make an argument for either, I think you can also make good arguments for Jermaine O'Neal, Elton Brand, Iverson, Kidd, Nash...currently, I think I'd go with Elton Brand or Jermaine O'Neal before EITHER of Bryant or Nowitzki.

Bryant's big problem is the baggage he brings along with him.  He's a rotten teammate, and if I were playing alongside of him, I don't think I'd be having any fun.  That right there is the kind of thing that damages team chemistry from MINUTE ONE.  Take that ONE ELEMENT away, and Bryant's stock shoots up the charts.  But that one element is such a blemish that it's much like saying, "He's a really sharp CEO, except for that problem of bankrupting all of the companies he runs."

I'd take Nowitzki - rotten defense and all - over Bryant.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Kobe-wan!
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2005, 11:45:33 AM »
I am glad someone else sees Dirk's defense for what it is!

Honestly for as athletic and tall as he is he should be a better defender than what he currently is displaying on that end of the floor.  He is about as quick as they come at 7 foot so there is no excuse for poor rotation on defense.  That is just a mental break down on his part....each time he has to rotate.  If you can beat guys 4-5 inches shorter than you off the drible then you can move your body well enough to rotate to another spot on the floor.  I wouldn't pick Dirk over Kobe because if I want a big man I want him to play in the post to open up the outside.   Big men are harder to come by and more important in this league...except in this case when your 7 footer is shooting 3s and 25 foot jumpers 95% of the time.

As for your Kobe comment Joe, the Lakers are currently ranked 11th in defense with Kobe being the best defender on the team.  Who exactly is Kobe running defenders into?  The powerful shot blockers and big men the Lakers have?   Chris Mihm? Kwame Brown?  Lamar Odom? Andrew Bynum?   I agree in previous years he had done that, by design.  Thats how Phil sets his defense up.  He had guards run perimeter players into certain spots on the floor when he was in Chicago and it worked very well.  If its not broke why fix it right?   This year Kobe  has no one to run them into and the guys he has defended very well have not been getting by him into the paint really at all.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 01:06:57 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Kobe-wan!
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2005, 02:42:44 PM »
Excellent breakdown of those photo's Joe. I thought it funny that Skander tossed them up here when even the captions pointed out Dirk was getting beat, especially the Odom shot. You made my point about Nowitski being a   cluelss wonder on defense even better than I did.

We deviate on your silly assertion that Kobe is an overrated defender. If it is true as Koast says (and I believe it is), that a player working within a specific dfensive scheme will naturally rely on his teammates to provide help defense when pressure is applied will look like a good, even superior defender, than it is equally true that if no such reliable teammates exist, the frauds or average defenders will be glaringly exposed. Kobe, with a young, inexperienced and very, very average frontcourt still looks good and still makes his teammates look good defensively, as their 11th ranked defense demonstrates, and so Koast is dead on in his assessment.

Beyond that however, is the fact that Kobe is playing extremely well on BOTH sides of the court, sure, he is the focus of the offense, but given the caliber of players in LA currently, he is also the focus on the defensive end as well, an awful lot on one plate, and he is doing IMO remarkably well at both assignments. Where you would take Dirk over a hustler like Bryant escapes me, Dirk as you have said yourself is no post threat to score, allowing any decent defense (LA comes to mind) to take him out of the flow and force him to beat you outside while at the same time taking advantage of him in the offensive post game, where big forwards and slashing guards eat him for lunch. Kobe offers no such liabilities, and so far this season, his reputation as locker room poison hasn't surfaced, until it does, well, he is a slam dunk better pick than Dirk.

As far as Shaq is concerned, he is in the top 5 this season by reputation only, he has played a whopping 8 games this year and appears to be well on his way to being injury prone, fat, out of shape and lazy once again, IMO he is top 10 at this point in the season, leaving a spot open for either Iverson or Brand (I pick Brand) with Kobe solidly in the top 5.
Dan

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Kobe-wan!
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2005, 03:03:04 PM »
Kobe's a thug punk.

(oh yeah, and he's an overrated defender.  Above average?  Okay, I can agree with that.  Which is something when compared to other great offensive wing players.  3 time all-nba?  That's a joke).
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 03:04:02 PM by dbodner »

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Kobe-wan!
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2005, 11:18:59 PM »
What I'm more surprised about is that Skander hasn't absolutely *BLASTED* Bryant for the elbow he threw in Dirk Nowitzki's face in the 62-point outburst.  It occurred when Nowitzki made a hard - but not a flagrant - foul on Bryant.  Bryant, when he got hit, threw his elbow in the face of Nowitzki.  The reason that I'm surprised about that is because:

1)  If you know Skander, you know that he's absolutely METICULOUS about pointing out horrific calls by officials, most especially when star-caliber players are involved.

2)  Once Skander takes a dislike to a player for playing dirty with the protection of the referees (which was the case with the Bryant elbow), he NEVER lets a player get by with it TWICE.  He's already on Bryant's case when he saw Bryant elbow Bibby years ago.  To think he wouldn't have jumped on this one is outrageous.

Given these two facts, I think it's safe to assume that Skander didn't see the Bryant elbow on the Nowitzki hard foul.  If lucky, he saw the network news...didn't see SportsCenter's full version.  Am I right, Skander?

Any of the following would be correct calls:

1)  double foul - Nowitzki and Bryant
2)  foul on Nowitzki, technical foul on Bryant
3)  no call on Nowtizki, no call on Bryant

What did the officials actually call?  Foul on Nowitzki, nothing on Bryant.  This led to a technical foul on Nowitzki.  That led to a technical on Avery Johnson.  Johnson picked up another later, getting tossed.

Given such officiating, it's not going to take a marginal player long to figure out that if you're going to foul a star, *LEVEL* him.  Make the crime fit the punishment, because the officials aren't going to give you a fair shake.  Call Maurice Lucas out of retirement...we've got a job for you.

This kind of BS that passes for officiating is part of the reason that I tend to dismiss people using the "Bryant draws fouls" argument.  Give me that kind of protection from referees, and I'm going to go pick a fight with #10 on Ott Trucking.  Heck, give me that kind of protection, and I'll go do it NEXT WEEK, and we're not even playing them next week!  

Whether he's the top 2-guard in the league or not, it's irrelevant to me, since I see Bryant much as Derek just described him:  a thug punk.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

guest-koast

Kobe-wan!
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2005, 03:59:36 AM »
Kobe's a thug punk.

(oh yeah, and he's an overrated defender.  Above average?  Okay, I can agree with that.  Which is something when compared to other great offensive wing players.  3 time all-nba?  That's a joke).
So Is Allen Iverson and are you going to discredit what he does on the basketball court because of it?  What you personally think of Kobe Bryant or Allen Iverson  as people does not mean what they do on the court is diminished.   Is Allen Iverson less of a offensive juggernaut because he runs around with his 9 mm handgun threatning his wife and family members?  Is Kobe Bryant less of a defender because he has major ego issues?  Nope and nope.

I dislike Kanye West for similar reasons why you dislike Kobe Bryant but am I going to say he is a horrible producer because of that?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Kobe-wan!
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2005, 08:13:27 AM »
So Is Allen Iverson and are you going to discredit what he does on the basketball court because of it?

You completely missed my point, which was not in reference to Kobe at all but in reference to a poster.  Thanks for playing and come again.

guest-koast

Kobe-wan!
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2005, 02:31:14 PM »
So Is Allen Iverson and are you going to discredit what he does on the basketball court because of it?

You completely missed my point, which was not in reference to Kobe at all but in reference to a poster.  Thanks for playing and come again.
What did I win?