Author Topic: Shavlik Randolph  (Read 1900 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Shavlik Randolph
« on: December 17, 2005, 04:19:44 PM »
Shavlik Randolph may or may not be breathing the same air as Fabrico Alberto, but he is making a push as the 6ers secret weapon.

Snapping down 10 boards in only 19 minutes last night vs Heat, 6 being offensive.
Dec 14th in a win vs ATL he had 12 boards in only 15 minutes.  7 offensive.  Those are stats even Randy couldn't twist.  In fact he has more O boards then Dbs on the year.

A Duke softie?

Who is this guy and can we expect to see him get more minutes from MoBert?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Shavlik Randolph
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 07:32:13 PM »
Shav's been incredible.

When he was given a spot in camp, people figured it was a Billy King favor (BK's a Duke alumn).  Oh sure, we read articles about how he was one of the top recruited big men in high school basketball that year.  How Duke and North Carolina drooled to get him (Michael Jordan actually met him wearing a Shavlik Randolph north carolina jersey).  And how injuries derailed his 3 seasons at Duke.

But we also all, despite the excuses on him previously not reaching his potential at duke, wondered how that would translate to the NBA, especially seeing his less than imposing body type.

Basically, we expected him to be cut.

But he's been amazing.  He's moved himself from the 4th big on the bench (Behind Steven Hunter, Michael Bradley and Lee Nailon) to the first big off the bench, and deservedly so.  He hasn't had a bad game in any game he's gotten more than 3 minutes, which is saying something for an undrafted free agent.  10 pts 7 boards in 14 minutes.  7 pts 4 boards in 8 minutes.  4 pts 12 boards in 15 minutes.  8 pts 10 boards in 19 minutes.

Obviously, his offensive rebounding has been very impressive.  But he's also a very fundamentally sound basketball player.  His defensive rotations particularly.  He's not going to block shots, but he's a solid post defender and rotates very well.  Good defensive rebounder and great offensive rebounder.  He's got some offensive skill, although he's got some polish to add.  But he's got a real nose for the ball around the hoop.

Very pleasant surprise.  He's entrenched in getting 15-20 mpg for us.

rickortreat

Shavlik Randolph
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 08:22:03 PM »
Could he be the player to fill the gap the Sixers had in rebounding and interior defense? He hasn't played much yet, but it's clear that Cheeks was going to search through the bench to see if anyone could contibute on the court.

In the few games he has played, he has outplayed any of the other Sixer forward subs. If Shavlik continues to perform like this, you have to wonder how long it will be before he gets Korver's minutes.  6-10 is a lot bigger than 6-6 near the basket, and playing him would give the Sixers a height advantage over some other teams for a change.

Being a rookie, that's probably a lot to ask for but Shavlik seems to be up to the challenge.

Does anyone think that Moses comming back to the Sixers as a coach is significant?  He was the one that put the Sixers over the top when they last won a championship.  Can he help them get back to the promised land again, by teaching them his aggressive rebounding style?

Webber's game has certainly picked up lately.  I'd say you ask a Kings fan and he'll say the Sixer got the better end of that deal after all.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Shavlik Randolph
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 09:34:32 PM »
Shav can't defend the perimeter.  And he's not enough of an inside presence to cause enough of a matchup problems to be the liability he would be on the defensive end.

Moses isn't a permanent coach, he's only here temporarily.  Wish he would be with the team fulltime though.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 09:40:32 AM by dbodner »

Guest_Randy

Shavlik Randolph
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 07:33:25 AM »
Shavlik Randolph may or may not be breathing the same air as Fabrico Alberto, but he is making a push as the 6ers secret weapon.

Snapping down 10 boards in only 19 minutes last night vs Heat, 6 being offensive.
Dec 14th in a win vs ATL he had 12 boards in only 15 minutes.  7 offensive.  Those are stats even Randy couldn't twist.  In fact he has more O boards then Dbs on the year.

A Duke softie?

Who is this guy and can we expect to see him get more minutes from MoBert?

Dec 14th in a win vs ATL he had 12 boards in only 15 minutes.  7 offensive.  Those are stats even Randy couldn't twist.  In fact he has more O boards then Dbs on the year.

Here Reality -- twist these numbers:
     8.3 Min pg    48% fg%     2.3 reb pg     1.8 pts pg

It's no wonder you've moved on to "heralding" a different player -- you certainly don't have much to "herald" in Oberto.  What was it you were saying about him before this year?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Shavlik Randolph
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 01:02:21 PM »
Here Reality -- twist these numbers:
     8.3 Min pg    48% fg%     2.3 reb pg     1.8 pts pg

It's no wonder you've moved on to "heralding" a different player -- you certainly don't have much to "herald" in Oberto.  What was it you were saying about him before this year?
Eat your words Randy!!!

I think the Prophet Reality, peace be upon him, said this:

"Add me to the list of people who think this guys gonna be a 12-18 minutes 5 pt 3 rebs type of player. A nothing stiff ala Rasho. While the Spurs have had ONE or TWO success stories drafting a foreign player late in the draft you can't expect every bowel movement from the Spurs to be gold plated and rose smelling. While I think the Spurs are currently the best at meshing talent and salary, they have not shown any noticable destinction in the draft (correct me if I'm wrong fans of the Spurs that have been around beyond the title years). Elliot, Robinson and Duncan were "like duh" picks.

The Spurs are better served developing Nazr game, they guy has desire and some skills defending the basket. They guy challenges EVERYTHING going to the rim. Nazr needs lots of time on the floor along side Timmy getting used to finding the open space under the rim for easy baskets ala Ho Grant and Shaq Daddy."

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Shavlik Randolph
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 01:05:03 PM »
We all owe Reality a beer!

"IMO Kwame will have a better year as a Laker than "Beto" will for the Spurs. I'll bet an Alamodome Premium Tall Draft Beer on it. "

In a word: BRILLIANT
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Shavlik Randolph
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 12:47:32 PM »
In the words of the Arab poker legend "Camellito Sevache": "Beer me beyatches!"
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Guest_Randy

Shavlik Randolph
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 09:40:23 AM »

"IMO Kwame will have a better year as a Laker than "Beto" will for the Spurs. I'll bet an Alamodome Premium Tall Draft Beer on it. "

How can you even DETERMINE that Beto is having a better year when he is averaging 8 minutes a game?  In last nights hard fought game against the Bucks, he didn't even get into the game!  You call that having a better year?  By getting "garbage minutes" in games that don't matter?

As for Kwame, he is worthless -- about the ONLY person on this board who didn't think so is Skander (who is mute on this topic).  The only reason why Brown is MORE worthless than Beto is because the Lakers actually have been trying to play Kwame significant minutes (starting him early in the season) -- which was a MAJOR mistake (preceeded by the major mistake of trading Caron Butler for him).

But saying that Beto is having a better year just because he is getting great garbage minutes?  That's pretty funny!  Go ahead and buy Reality a beer!!!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Shavlik Randolph
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 09:51:00 AM »

How can you even DETERMINE that Beto is having a better year when he is averaging 8 minutes a game?  In last nights hard fought game against the Bucks, he didn't even get into the game!  You call that having a better year?  By getting "garbage minutes" in games that don't matter?

As for Kwame, he is worthless -- about the ONLY person on this board who didn't think so is Skander (who is mute on this topic).  The only reason why Brown is MORE worthless than Beto is because the Lakers actually have been trying to play Kwame significant minutes (starting him early in the season) -- which was a MAJOR mistake (preceeded by the major mistake of trading Caron Butler for him).

But saying that Beto is having a better year just because he is getting great garbage minutes?  That's pretty funny!  Go ahead and buy Reality a beer!!!
Randy, Randy, Randy....

Try reading the posts a bit more slowly and maybe even out loud.

I'm the one who foresaw all this comming, just like a prophet in the bible/koran.  I knew the Lakers would force Kwame to either sink or swim and I also knew Bencho would not get much time with the Spurs because he's nothing special, he's not even something average.

That stats pretty much backup my "visions".
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Shavlik Randolph
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 11:26:35 AM »
As for Kwame, he is worthless -- about the ONLY person on this board who didn't think so is Skander (who is mute on this topic).

What do you mean mute on the subject??  No I don't have a weekly "Update of Kwame Brown" with your host Skander show, but don't make it sound like a made a horrible call and ran away from it.  

Truth is, thus far, Kwame has played worst than I had expected.  The injury that shelved him sure didn't help.  I also at the time of the trade thought it was a mistake to give up Caron Butler (who BTW, is also having a worst year thus far than I expected).  

In the beginning of the year they were actually trying to feed Kwame in the post and run specific plays for him.  He then proceeded to turn into a little girl and shrink away from the pressure.  Now Phil has changed his gameplan with Kwame, he's using him as a mobile big man that just runs the floor hard.  With his length and athleticism maybe can grab a few boards here and a few dunks there when the opportunities arise.  I think his 6 for 6 performance on Dec 12 against Dallas has to be encouraging if your a Laker fan.  I say its still too early to call Kwame a bust for the Lakers.          
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Shavlik Randolph
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 11:45:26 AM »
"10 pts 7 boards in 14 minutes. 7 pts 4 boards in 8 minutes. 4 pts 12 boards in 15 minutes. 8 pts 10 boards in 19 minutes."

Ive been sleeping on this guy!  Now that is some production.  I dont think people who just glance at that stat line really understand how hard it is to come in for limited minutes and start getting it done right away off the bench.  Not sure when he is being subbed in but I am going to assume that its in the middle of the flow of the game.  
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Shavlik Randolph
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2005, 12:08:14 PM »
"10 pts 7 boards in 14 minutes. 7 pts 4 boards in 8 minutes. 4 pts 12 boards in 15 minutes. 8 pts 10 boards in 19 minutes."

Ive been sleeping on this guy!  Now that is some production.  I dont think people who just glance at that stat line really understand how hard it is to come in for limited minutes and start getting it done right away off the bench.  Not sure when he is being subbed in but I am going to assume that its in the middle of the flow of the game.
Oooooh!!!

Quick, snatch him up for your fantasy league.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Shavlik Randolph
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2005, 12:38:25 PM »

I love it....  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Shavlik Randolph
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2005, 12:44:57 PM »

Ive been sleeping on this guy!  Now that is some production.  I dont think people who just glance at that stat line really understand how hard it is to come in for limited minutes and start getting it done right away off the bench.  Not sure when he is being subbed in but I am going to assume that its in the middle of the flow of the game.
Oooooh!!!

Quick, snatch him up for your fantasy league.
 :D

Why would I do that when CBSsportsline locked up in the middle of the draft and I got such great fantasy players as Glen  Robinson and Eric Dampier?!
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com