Author Topic: Greetings.  (Read 1747 times)

jn

Greetings.
« on: November 29, 2005, 04:37:26 PM »
Hey all.  After a long break I'm back.  

First let me say thanks to everyone for the tips on places in the Southwest.  We hit a lot of places.  5 states, 1800 miles, 7 national parks, 1 State Park, 2 National Monuments, 2 tribal parks and 2 national recreations areas.  Loved it all.  Particularly liked Calf Creek Falls (thanks for the tip) and Canyonlands.  All the other places were great as well but those two stood out because they had the fewest other people around.   In addition to all the great scenery I ended up losing about 10 pounds and cutting my caffeine consumption in half.  

As to the NBA, well, it sure looks to me like the gap between the top teams from th past few years (Spurs, Pistons, Pacers) and everybody else is awfully wide.  Of course it's early so and I haven't had a chance to watch enough games year so a lot of that could change.  We'll see what happens in Miami and whether hot early starters like the Cavs and Mavs can keep up the pace.

As to the Wolves I haven't even been able to see much of them.  Right now it seems to me like they are good enough to hit the playoffs but not much else.  Honestly it's not that I think they are particularly good, it's that the West is not what it used to be.  A few years ago a team of the Wolves caliber would have been out of the race well before seasons end.  Now, however, they have a shot.

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
Greetings.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 05:12:30 PM »
Welcome back jn!
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Greetings.
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 06:07:06 PM »
Glad you had a nice trip, jn. :cheers:

What I wouldn't give for a vacation.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure you'll run across the musings of various sports journalists and their respective opinions about Garnett's now public doubts about the Timberwolves questionable decisions last year and the track they are on, now.

They range from "Its too late, Garnett needs to stop whining" to "Garnett is right to put the Wolves on notice and they better right the ship quick".  I side with the latter, I was wondering what your opinions were?    
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Greetings.
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 07:55:20 PM »
Hay Jn!  LTNS!

Was thinking about where youve been ever since the KG trade talks have been heating up.  I was curious what the talk in Wolves country was.  If it makes you feel any better about the state of your wolves...they could be the Lakers :D

Heres to you posting on the regular (wishfull thinking on my part)  :cheers:  
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

rickortreat

Greetings.
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 08:05:13 PM »
Nice to have you back, JN.  Glad you had a good trip.
Was thinking about where youve been ever since the KG trade talks have been heating up. I was curious what the talk in Wolves country was. If it makes you feel any better about the state of your wolves...they could be the Lakers :biggrin.gif:

Hey! The Lakers are from in Minnesotta.  I bet JN would feel a lot better if his team had all those Championshp banners hanging in the arena!

I feel a little sorry for KG. And, a little dissapointed in McHale.  I would have thought that they'd manage to put a team together by now.  KG needs to get involved in recruting players to give him his shot.  He is a franchise player you can build around to get a Championship.  
 :nod:  

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Greetings.
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 01:22:38 AM »
Hey all.  After a long break I'm back.  

First let me say thanks to everyone for the tips on places in the Southwest.  We hit a lot of places.  5 states, 1800 miles, 7 national parks, 1 State Park, 2 National Monuments, 2 tribal parks and 2 national recreations areas.  Loved it all.  Particularly liked Calf Creek Falls (thanks for the tip) and Canyonlands.  All the other places were great as well but those two stood out because they had the fewest other people around.   In addition to all the great scenery I ended up losing about 10 pounds and cutting my caffeine consumption in half.  

As to the NBA, well, it sure looks to me like the gap between the top teams from th past few years (Spurs, Pistons, Pacers) and everybody else is awfully wide.  Of course it's early so and I haven't had a chance to watch enough games year so a lot of that could change.  We'll see what happens in Miami and whether hot early starters like the Cavs and Mavs can keep up the pace.

As to the Wolves I haven't even been able to see much of them.  Right now it seems to me like they are good enough to hit the playoffs but not much else.  Honestly it's not that I think they are particularly good, it's that the West is not what it used to be.  A few years ago a team of the Wolves caliber would have been out of the race well before seasons end.  Now, however, they have a shot.
Glad you had a great time.  Did you happen to see Latrell Sprewell, he has been missing for months?
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Greetings.
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 01:55:49 AM »
Welcome back.

There have been several creations and evolutions since you've been gone.

jn

Greetings.
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 03:55:00 PM »
Interesting story.  I was out in the middle of a desert canyon many miles from civilization.  Suddenly I saw a dirty, raggedy man with hair sticking out all over sitting on a rock.  He looked familiar.  Suddenly it hit me and I exclaimed "Ricky Williams! Awesome!!!"

As I moved closer however, the man suddenly charged me.  Shouting a string of horrific curses, he suddenly wrapped his hands around my throat and demanded money.  I gave him the $20 I had on me but he began screaming about it as an insult. He demanded more and hollered something about "feeding his family."

It was then that it occured to me.  I was face to face with the legendary beast, El ChupaSprewell.  A lonely misunderstood beast forced who squandered his money on hair braids and defense attorneys so that he is reduced to feeding his offspring with the tiny lizards and gophers he catches.  

I told him I would see about more money if he lead me back to the beginning of the trail.  He did but he obviously wasn't really trying and we got lost a couple times.  When we finally did get back I told him no on any more money.  He then when to the campground and offered his guide services to the others there.  There were no takers.  

Regarding the KG stuff I'm not to worried yet.  I think a lot hinges on whether the Wolves make the playoffs.   He seems to have some legitimate gripes about some issues but given his own culpability in past Wolves problems I don't think he has the right to get to pin all the blame on others.   Also there is absolutely NOTHING to indicate that Glen Taylor would make a move.  I just can't see it happening.

One thing that annoys the H out of me from is hearing people say "Trade him to a contender so he can get a championship and start rebuilding."  

Right.  Just give up on one of the half dozen top players in the league while he is still only 29.  Trade him to a team you KNOW  :rolleyes:  will win the championship.  It will be easy to get equal value in return. You know, just because a contender's draft picks would be very low don't worry.  There are plenty of HOF'ers left to be drafted at #25 and up.   No problem.  

He isn't going anywhere and he shouldn't.   Wally and Kandi however......

The flip side (pun intended) is that yes, McHale and Casey are going to have to make shrewd moves to move this team up from mediocrity.   Fat contracts to Nicholas Spanikopita is not going to do it.  

Guest_Randy

Greetings.
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 03:59:05 PM »
I think McHale has done a TON of REALLY stupid moves in the past.  I give him credit for not giving more money to Spree and Cassell -- but it was SPREE who was the REALLY stupid person in that whole thing -- he COULD have come back to Minny for a couple of more years (that's how long McHale had him locked up for).  Then they have overpaid for players like Madsen, Wally, Candy, etc.

I think it's got to be hard for Garnett to be thinking "I gave up money for THIS team?"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Greetings.
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 04:05:57 PM »
Hay Jn!  LTNS!

Was thinking about where youve been ever since the KG trade talks have been heating up.  I was curious what the talk in Wolves country was.  If it makes you feel any better about the state of your wolves...they could be the Lakers :D

Heres to you posting on the regular (wishfull thinking on my part)  :cheers:
<whew>

I was afraid dabods traded jn in for B-Ball Pro and Sassy.

How do these rumors get started anyway?

Welcome back, jn.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Greetings.
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 05:06:39 PM »
I was afraid dabods traded jn in for B-Ball Pro and Sassy.

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!

Don't say things like that.  I darn near had a coronary.  Thank goodness for a kind doctor being nearby to treat me.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Greetings.
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 05:58:17 PM »

It was then that it occured to me.  I was face to face with the legendary beast, El ChupaSprewell.  A lonely misunderstood beast forced who squandered his money on hair braids and defense attorneys so that he is reduced to feeding his offspring with the tiny lizards and gophers he catches.  

ROTFLMAO   :rofl:  :rofl:

JN that was priceless.   :hail:  :hail:  :hail:  :up:  :up:  
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil