Author Topic: Stoudemire extends 5 years  (Read 2784 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Stoudemire extends 5 years
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2005, 09:56:36 AM »
OK, I'll DUMB it down for you.

The point WAS why are the Lakers EVEN in this discussion?

Some posters are getting FanHomish.
Because the Lakers...per reports....were saving cap space to chase after big men free agents.

NOT THIS YEAR , Randy....but when guys like Yao or Amare hit the market.

Now Amare is not going to hit the market....or Yao either.

Thus the reference to the Lakers.

I don't know if I can make it any simpler.....they didn't teach SoCal logic where I grew up (not in Texas BTW).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 10:23:05 AM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

rickortreat

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2005, 10:20:25 AM »
Okay, Lurker -- just what big man should the Lakers have gone after? The only position, outside a big man, that I wanted to see the Lakers fill is the PG position -- and I'm STILL clueless why they didn't go after a decent point guard. Still not very happy about that -- but there weren't any free agent big men worth pursuing, IMO.

How about Curry or Dalembert?  Yes, they have flaws, and limitations and may not turn out to be worth it, but the same could be said for the centers the Lakers already have.  Shouldn't they have taken a shot at one or both of those guys?

Randy, what do you think the chance the Lakers will have this season is, with the players they currently have on the roster?

As a fan are you satisfied with their progress in building a team?  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2005, 10:28:11 AM »
OK, I'll DUMB it down for you.

The point WAS why are the Lakers EVEN in this discussion?

Some posters are getting FanHomish.
Because the Lakers...per reports....were saving cap space to chase after big men free agents.

Now Amare is not going to hit the market....or Yao either.

Thus the reference to the Lakers.

I don't know if I can make it any simpler.....they didn't teach SoCal logic where I grew up (not in Texas BTW).
I'm not sure about the reading comprehension of y'all Texans, but the "reports" QUOTED Buss, not Jerry but his son who's being groomed to take over the Lakers organization, who stated the two players he was interested in were Yao and Lebron.  Amare didn't figure into the mix, not sure if that's a good sign or bad.  Good sign would be the Lakers KNEW Amare was out of reach, bad news would be if they didn't KNOW Amare would be available soon.

Maybe y'all mo betta at reading in between the lines or the smoke/smog signals comming from Staples center.  I'll just go by what's on the record.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2005, 11:01:06 AM »
the "reports" QUOTED Buss, not Jerry but his son who's being groomed to take over the Lakers organization, who stated the two players he was interested in were Yao and Lebron.  Amare didn't figure into the mix, not sure if that's a good sign or bad.  Good sign would be the Lakers KNEW Amare was out of reach, bad news would be if they didn't KNOW Amare would be available soon.
Steve Hartman was quoting Jr. Buss in saying "Signing Yao is the #1 priority" after he took over for Papa Buss.

Don't worry, the NBA will intervene again ie Cream Jabbar for 4 Joe Schmoes and Magic for Gail Goodrich, Kowbeee for Vlade, etc.

You Lakers won't have to earn anything, so relax.  Sit back and assume the position.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2005, 11:11:15 AM »
the "reports" QUOTED Buss, not Jerry but his son who's being groomed to take over the Lakers organization, who stated the two players he was interested in were Yao and Lebron.  Amare didn't figure into the mix, not sure if that's a good sign or bad.  Good sign would be the Lakers KNEW Amare was out of reach, bad news would be if they didn't KNOW Amare would be available soon.
Steve Hartman was quoting Jr. Buss in saying "Signing Yao is the #1 priority" after he took over for Papa Buss.

Don't worry, the NBA will intervene again ie Cream Jabbar for 4 Joe Schmoes and Magic for Gail Goodrich, Kowbeee for Vlade, etc.

You Lakers won't have to earn anything, so relax.  Sit back and assume the position.
I bet you don't even know the story behind Kareem.  Go Google it or something.  I wonder if the Spursies will pull the same scam and sit Duncan for a year when it's clear they're not in the running for a title so they can steal a high draft pick.

The Spurs probably did the same thing all Texas high tech groups do, ala NASA, hired some Cali folks to accomplish the technical stuff, like rigging the ping pong machine.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Guest_Randy

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2005, 11:30:18 AM »
How about Curry or Dalembert? Yes, they have flaws, and limitations and may not turn out to be worth it, but the same could be said for the centers the Lakers already have. Shouldn't they have taken a shot at one or both of those guys?

Randy, what do you think the chance the Lakers will have this season is, with the players they currently have on the roster?

As a fan are you satisfied with their progress in building a team?

Curry is too short to play the center position and his health is a HUGE question (he doesn't want his contract to be based on his health and he wants a fat contract -- that's fine for a team that doesn't mind paying big time into the luxury tax but that's not the Lakers).

Dalembert?  It's fine if you don't want any offensive production from your center position -- would I like to have Dalembert?  Sure -- but not at the price that he was paid.  He is a piece you add -- not a piece to build around, IMO.

I already said -- I think the Lakers will be fighting to make it into the playoffs this year -- if they do better than that, PJ PROVES he is a very good coach.  As for being satisfied with their progress -- I really never had much expectations for the Lakers until they rid themselves of excessive salary -- and that won't happen until next year.

I don't know anyone who thought Amare was going to be available -- he had made it VERY clear that he was ecstatic in Phoenix.  As for Yao, he didn't make those kind of statements but here is ONE Laker fan who is happy he won't be in LA.  I'd hate to see the Lakers pay max money for a man who is content just to be on the court.  

But hey, not every team can fix the lottery like the Spurs -- the Lakers will have to build the long hard honest way!