Author Topic: Sacramento Monarch are WNBA Champs!  (Read 1786 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Sacramento Monarch are WNBA Champs!
« on: September 21, 2005, 12:02:33 PM »
It was just nice to see the fans out at Arco given a championship to cheer about, and watching the Maloofs try to jump in glee, as the ecstatic Monarch players kept telling everyone who would listen how no one chose them to win the WNBA championship prior to this season. (Is it me, or do the players of every championship team at some point gloat that no one had picked them to win and weren't they were sooooo wrong in making such a lame prediction?)

Well, anyway, I am glad Mike Bibby was in attendance to see how happy the women were to win it. Maybe it will sink in.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Guest_Randy

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 12:11:33 PM »
Congrats, JoMal.

Perhaps the Maloofs should consider swapping squads?  The Monarchs might go farther than the Kings would -- something to consider anyway!

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 12:17:55 PM »
Yiiiiiiiip...............<makes ham and cheese sammich, writes out bills, mails bills, comes back>.......pppppyyyyyyyy!
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 12:25:01 PM »
Yeah, Randy. Nothing like a team dedicated to playing defense instead of just 'saying' they are 'thinking' about playing defense. It actually can win a championship, if used right.

Yo Griffith is one tough player. If only some of the King's players could support that "look" and back it up.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

jn

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 12:42:39 PM »
I absolutely cannot stand the "No one thought we could win" crap.  Your absolutely right JoMal.  It doesn't matter if a team has a number 1 seed, Vegas has made them prohibitive favorites and the TV announcers publicly call them the team to beat you can still count on some chump dragging that line out.  

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 12:43:58 PM »
I want a fully detailed medical report and full body physical personally stamped by the nation's Surgeon General before I'll believe Yolanda Griffith is a woman.... :nod:  
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 01:14:31 PM »
(Is it me, or do the players of every championship team at some point gloat that no one had picked them to win and weren't they were sooooo wrong in making such a lame prediction?)

LOL so true.

WNBA is so painfully boring to me but it seems like its starting to gain a little bit more steam in the last 2 years.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 01:15:01 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jn

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 01:29:50 PM »
Did you see the Sport's Guys column on the WNBA?  I think he hit it right.  I would like the WNBA if it would just admit it's a small time niche sport and give up the blitz of pretentious advertising.  In addition he is right that women's college ball is more popular because it doesn't have that pretense and has built in school loyalty. I agree completely.  I've been to some U of MN women's games over the past few years and had a great time.   A MN Lynx game?  It was torture.  

jn

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 01:38:59 PM »
Let me qualify that.  I don't know if I would really like the WNBA if they changed the marketing but I wouldn't have the vague feeling of resentment towards it that I do now.  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 02:27:40 PM »

WNBA is so painfully boring to me but it seems like its starting to gain a little bit more steam in the last 2 years.
What I saw watching this series with Connecticut is how rough they play. Black eyes, scratches, body slams.....it got very physical.  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 02:30:16 PM »
Let me qualify that.  I don't know if I would really like the WNBA if they changed the marketing but I wouldn't have the vague feeling of resentment towards it that I do now.
The main thing they have to do is not market it like it is just like the NBA. Jerry Reynolds, who works for the Maloofs still and does work for both the Kings and the Monarchs, said the biggest mistake people make is trying to compare the WNBA to the NBA. It is ludicrous.  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 02:33:13 PM »

What I saw watching this series with Connecticut is how rough they play. Black eyes, scratches, body slams.....it got very physical.
The only thing worse to watch than the WNBA is WWF!!!
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

rickortreat

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2005, 10:19:38 AM »
The NBA backs the league and wants it to be a success.  So you will see them advertizing it as much as they can.

It doesn't bother me, I still can't bring myself to watch the games.  As long as women want to go out and see it, I think it's a good thing.

Still the Sactown team won.  That's something.  

Who cares what they say?  You're expecting sage wisdom from a ballplayer!?

It's entertainment, that's why Charles Barkley is so popular.  He just tells it the way he sees it, and a lot of times he's just plain wrong.