Author Topic: Looks like Vlade will stay with the Lakers . . .  (Read 913 times)

Guest_Randy

Looks like Vlade will stay with the Lakers . . .
« on: September 20, 2005, 08:23:18 AM »
not as a player but as an assistant coach and scout.  Hey, Vlade -- it's time to call Peja and invite him down to visit LA (I'd say about once a month)!   :D

BELGRADE, Serbia-Montenegro -- Los Angeles Lakers center Vlade Divac plans to retire as a player but will remain with the team as an assistant coach and scout, a Serbian newspaper reported Friday.

"It is enough," Divac told the Blic daily. "No, I won't play the next season. I'll work for the Lakers as an assistant coach and an international scout."

The 37-year-old Divac, who returned to the Lakers last season, underwent back surgery in January and played in only 15 games, averaging 2.3 points and 2.1 rebounds. He averaged 11.9 points and 8.3 rebounds in 15 previous NBA seasons -- six with the Lakers, two with Charlotte and seven with Sacramento.

"The injury has only helped my decision to retire," Divac said. "I always gave 100 percent to the sport, and after so many years of playing, I can no longer do that. I'm ending my professional career as a player, but I will remain in basketball."

The Lakers and Divac had previously agreed to postpone a decision on his contract status.
Los Angeles had the choice of picking up a one-year, $5.4 million option or paying a $2 million buyout.

"I can't confirm that Vlade has retired. Right now, it's premature and we have not been notified of that," Lakers spokesman John Black said.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 04:07:48 PM »
Is the Lakers the only organization where a chunk of there staff happens to be old players?

Kupcake
Kareem
Rambis
Divac
Shaw
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 04:08:04 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 04:57:53 PM »
Yep, ex-Spurs become head coaches....

Karl
Rivers
Porter
Johnson

:up:  
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 04:58:31 PM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 05:09:21 PM »
not as a player but as an assistant coach and scout.  Hey, Vlade -- it's time to call Peja and invite him down to visit LA (I'd say about once a month)!   :D

Sorry, Randy, but Vlade has told Peja flat out for him to never come play for the Lakers. He seems to think the LA lifestyle would overwhem him.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 05:16:55 PM »
not as a player but as an assistant coach and scout.  Hey, Vlade -- it's time to call Peja and invite him down to visit LA (I'd say about once a month)!   :D

Sorry, Randy, but Vlade has told Peja flat out for him to never come play for the Lakers. He seems to think the LA lifestyle would overwhem him.
Darn!  There goes my dream of the Lakers assimilating a team comprised of 13 small forwards ...