Author Topic: All Time Underrated NBA Players article  (Read 1535 times)

jn

All Time Underrated NBA Players article
« on: August 18, 2005, 01:28:20 PM »
Very interesting.  Others I might add would include Maurice Lucas and Buck Williams.  

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3885926

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 03:33:20 PM »
Sidney Moncrief :up:

rickortreat

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 03:53:49 PM »
Rosen is a complete jerk.  There's nothing I liked about any of his lists, except for the one about the underated players.  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 03:58:41 PM »
Very interesting.  Others I might add would include Maurice Lucas and Buck Williams.  

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3885926
You might also take a look at the all-time greatest list he compiled.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3734262
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

rickortreat

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 04:07:10 PM »
Perfect example.  

In his article on the most underated players he lists Hal Greer very high.  And yet when he lists the top point guards of all time, he isn't even on the list!

A total putz.  :angry:  

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 04:20:38 PM »
Gotta touch on this line regarding John Stockton from his story:

(Stockton was a nasty character, both on and off the court.)

Stockton was a nasty character *OFF* the court?  SINCE WHEN?  On court, fine;  I agree.  But *OFF* the court?  

Maybe it's just those Stockton bar-brawls, drug arrests, skipping practices, bad-mouthing teammates in the paper, well-publicized rape trials, weapons charges, illegitimate children, and dog-fighting incidents that I've never heard about.  That must be it.

Seriously - what did Stockton do - turn down the guy for an interview?

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

jn

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 04:30:29 PM »
Rick,

He lists Greer as a SG.  Nevertheless he does often come across as a real jerk.  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 06:20:47 PM »
"But Robinson refused to make the accommodation because, if the ball was rapidly advanced somehow, he would be guarding a much quicker player who might easily embarrass him. "

Sounds like maybe words were bent around.  Spurs fans I assume this is untrue?

Rodman.  Defense.  'nough said.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

rickortreat

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2005, 06:55:14 PM »
That's another thing.  Greer was a point guard.  Wally Jones was the shooting guard.  

Moron can't even keep the positions straight.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2005, 12:01:12 PM »
"But Robinson refused to make the accommodation because, if the ball was rapidly advanced somehow, he would be guarding a much quicker player who might easily embarrass him. "

Sounds like maybe words were bent around. Spurs fans I assume this is untrue?

I watched the 94-95 Spurs intently.  I loved a-lot of the people on that team, Vinny Del Negro, Willie Anderson, and ole' Sweet Pea.  I remember admiring what Bob Hill did with that team and will never forgive Gregg Popovich for what I consider one of the ultimate backstabs (in the summer of '96) since I've been watching the NBA.  

Based on that experience, let me tell you I don't find this story hard to believe at all.  When the game was well in hand and the Spurs were coasting, Robinson was a masterful player to watch.  When the game was on the line and a team was giving the Spurs a real fight, it was Dennis Rodman's fire that helped that team win when they did win in those situations.  The emotional angst on Rodman's face was palpable as to how David's demeanor or sense of urgency didn't seem to change when the stakes were high and every play counted.  

One memory I can recall vividly happened in a late season game, it got down to crunchtime and every posession was a war.  Robinson got the ball in his favorite high post area, turned, squared and drove as hard as he could to the left, the ball came off the backboard, rolled around on the rim and dropped through the hoop as David was viciously thrown to the ground.  Rodman was so beside himself with joy he dropped to the ground and hugged Robinson before pulling him up with both hands.  Robinson sauntered to the free throw line and calmly sank the free throw.  I think that was the David Robinson that Rodman knew existed but seemed to shrink away as the stakes got higher.  

I had grown to appreciate Rodman's game so much in San Antonio that when I had heard over the summer that he was traded to the Bulls.  My exact words were "...just hand them the trophy".  I still wish I was wrong.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 02:57:32 PM by Skandery »
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2005, 10:54:25 AM »
I suppose I have to weigh in as one of Robinson's staunchest defenders.  First a side note...Rosen's credibility on basketball issues is almost as high as Vescey's credibility on rumors.  Especially whenever small market teams are involved.

Now on to Robinson...the problem most people have is that Robinson displayed that even-keeled temperment that one would expect from a Naval officer.  However that goes completely against what we as a nation expect from our sports heroes.  Here was a man that brought the discipline and intelligence that is considered outstanding traits among military leaders to the basketball court.  Because he had the ability to discuss higher mathematics, play musical instruments with musical greats and still excel on the basketball court was in such contrast to the modern athlete that he was put down for not being dedicated.  However not once was he ever criticized (at least by his coaches or teammates) for coming into camp out of shape or letting his outside interests detract from his game.

And his game....many overlook his accomplishments because of the lack of media coverage.  In his third season he ranked in the league’s top 10 in five categories, he was seventh in scoring (23.2 ppg), fourth in rebounding (12.2 rpg), first in blocks (4.49 per game), fifth in steals (2.32 per game) and seventh in field-goal percentage (.551).   Only 2 others had accomplished this before:Cliff Hagan and Larry Bird.  Robinson also was the first player in NBA history to rank among the top five in rebounding, blocks and steals in a single season....prior to some guy named Garnett.

Robinson enjoyed his highest scoring (29.8) and assist average (4.8) as a pro in 1993-94. That season, Robinson became the fourth player in NBA history to record a quadruple-double.  This also coincides with Rodman's arrival....but then of course Dennis claimed later that Robinson "didn't have the fire to play".  Then the next season Robinson became just the 4th player to score over 70 points in a game.  Something that some scorer named Jordan never accomplished.

Another Robinson accomplishment was winning a scoring title, a rebounding title, a block shot title, a MVP, a defensive POY and rookie of the year.  Only other to win all 5...some guy named Alcindor.  (side note: because blocks & DPOY weren't available at the time some guy named Wilt probably did it also).

If this defines a soft player then I would take this kind of softness on my team every year.  Here was a guy that was the ultimate team player who did whatever was necessary for his team.  And BTW the only American to play in 3 Olympics...and win 3 medals.  
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues