Author Topic: Lakers are said to be close to signing a new PG .  (Read 1018 times)

Guest_Randy

Lakers are said to be close to signing a new PG .
« on: August 18, 2005, 01:12:26 PM »
ready for this?  Aaron McKie!  A 6'5, 200 year old SG.  I like McKie -- I think he still has game in him -- as a back-up shooting guard he would be a great asset to a team -- but as a starting PG?   :crazy:  

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 01:16:41 PM »
:puke:

My favorite player in the NBA CAN'T go to the Lakers!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 01:54:54 PM »
Man Aaron is like Aaron Spelling old.  

LA media is so desperate to report Laker news they start saying anything.  
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 01:55:16 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

rickortreat

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 03:57:23 PM »
Poor Blue,  I feel sorry for him if he ends up in LA LA land.  

Only thing about him was that he wasn't agressive enough.  He was a better player on the offensive end than he showed.  Part of the fault was that AI took too many shots.  But Aaron should have been more aggressive and he just didn't want to be.  

Guest_Randy

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 04:58:39 PM »
I don't necessarily agree with you, Rick.  I think it's up to the superstars and stars to make other players WANT to shoot the ball.  If the superstar/star shows confidence in his teammates, it gives them greater confidence in their shot -- and confidence is a HUGE part of shooting the ball.  

Shaq does a GREAT job of infusing confidence in his players -- Kobe has in the past but certainly didn't last year (after he came back from his injury, he showed ZERO confidence in the other players -- with the exception of Butler).  

Of course, you want players to be aggressive shooting the ball but it's up to the superstar/star to help grow that confidence.  A player (Kobe is a good example in the 2nd half of last season) can pass the ball -- but if they make it clear that they expect it back, it begins to weigh on a shooter's confidence.

Brint

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 06:08:10 PM »
Word is Magic is going to come back and run the point.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 06:15:51 PM »
I don't necessarily agree with you, Rick.  I think it's up to the superstars and stars to make other players WANT to shoot the ball.  If the superstar/star shows confidence in his teammates, it gives them greater confidence in their shot -- and confidence is a HUGE part of shooting the ball. 

Shaq does a GREAT job of infusing confidence in his players -- Kobe has in the past but certainly didn't last year (after he came back from his injury, he showed ZERO confidence in the other players -- with the exception of Butler). 

Of course, you want players to be aggressive shooting the ball but it's up to the superstar/star to help grow that confidence.  A player (Kobe is a good example in the 2nd half of last season) can pass the ball -- but if they make it clear that they expect it back, it begins to weigh on a shooter's confidence.
And I have to agree with you and disagree with you

Iverson is in charge, as the superstar, to make the role players better.   I agree with you there. When they both were playing together Iverson DID do that.  BUT-- You cannot expect getting Mckie shots, when he is a decent offensive player, to be Iverson's job each and every trip.  As a key player to the sixers squad he should have taken it upon himself to be more aggressive.  Thats his role and he should  motivate himself.

Ill believe this when hes holding up a Lakers jersey for the paper.  Until then I just think the LA sportswriters are bored because its been a bad summer for LA basketball lol
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 06:17:46 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

rickortreat

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 07:01:47 PM »
Well, I think Aaron was one of those guys with the talent to be an all-star, maybe not quite at that level but good enough to put in 15-20, plus 6 boards and 5 assists.

He had a decent outisde shot, and a strong wide body.  He was quick enough to get open, but maybe didn't have enough moves to be a primary scorer.  The only thing that kept him back, IMO was him.  He'd defer to Iverson and whoever else, instead of taking matters into his own hands.

He was well coached throughout his career, plays defense very well and has good hands.  But he wasn't a consistent scorer, and he could have been.  Some guys just can't play that well that you'd want them taking 10-15 shots per night, but if I was his coach I would have demanded that from him.  Of course, Brown never wanted that, but he's obsessed with defense.  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 11:05:41 AM »
...and in related news, Doug Christie may sign with Dallas.

Now ask me if either of these signings will make a bit of difference next season.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."