Author Topic: Shareef a Spur?  (Read 1878 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Shareef a Spur?
« on: July 06, 2005, 11:27:24 AM »
interesting that this popped up recently.  Here is an peice of a new york post article shown on insidehoops.com

"To Shareef Abdur-Rahim, it's a two-way street for him and the Nets. "They have a very good team, a team that can win," the 6-9 prized free agent said yesterday on the eve of visiting the Nets for a two-day recruiting trip. "I can complement them in a lot of ways. And they certainly can help me." But with stiff competition for Abdur-Rahim from the likes of the world champion Spurs, the Nets are trying every ploy they can to ensure that the Portland power forward's road ends in New Jersey. "Really, for the most part, I like everything about the Nets' situation. Even now, they are one of the top three or four teams in the East," said Abdur-Rahim, 28, who then added the dreaded "but" to the equation. "But I'm keeping my options wide open. We're speaking to other teams. Although I like the situation, myself and Aaron [attorney Goodwin] will weigh all my options, listen to everybody," continued Abdur-Rahim, who said the Spurs, Heat, Wizards and Kings also are courting him. "I don't want to lead anybody on."

and this is another report from WOAI:

http://www.woai.com/spurs/story.aspx?conte...89-58C06AC4901D

"Two NBA sources told me over the weekend that the Spurs are more interested in spending their five million dollar exception on Shareef Abdur Rahim. Right now the Nets and Heat are considered the frontrunners to land his services. They will probably offer him more money.

But the word is Rahim wants to win. He's never been with a team that finished over .500 in his entire 9-year career, and he's still only 28 years old. Winning equals playing for the Spurs.

How about another top free agent: Toronto's Donyell Marshall? There are a couple of reasons why he could be a match:

1. He won't command much more than the five million dollar exception.

2. Toronto could sign him and then trade him to the Spurs for Rasho Nesterovic. That way they get something in return for losing Marshall - even if it is Rasho.

Again, these are just the scenarios of the day in the NBA, and as we've found out, they can quickly change.

Spurs GM RC Buford told me today that anything is possible, but that right now the Spurs focus is taking care of their own business and that - presumably - is re-signing Robert Horry and locking up either Luis Scola from Argentina, or if his asking price is too high, another Argentinan named Fabricio Oberto."

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Shareef a Spur?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 03:37:41 PM »
Rumorama: Blazers Blog
ESPN.com's Chad Ford says the Blazers are trying to work out a sign-and-trade with the Spurs, which would allow them to swap a re-signed Shareef Abdur-Rahim to San Antonio for Rasho Nesterovic.

Spurs fans, if we do this then you all owe me big time.  Get out from underneath Rasho's ugly contract, and get Shareef in return.  That is a gift of monumental proportions.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Shareef a Spur?
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 03:46:43 PM »
But the word is Rahim wants to win. He's never been with a team that finished over .500 in his entire 9-year career, and he's still only 28 years old. Winning equals playing for the Spurs.

Spurs GM RC Buford told me today that anything is possible, but that right now the Spurs focus is taking care of their own business and that - presumably - is re-signing Robert Horry and locking up either Luis Scola from Argentina, or if his asking price is too high, another Argentinan named Fabricio Oberto."
Shareefs truly copping a team first win first attitude would be a welcome change in NBA Free Greedgency.  Marshall for the sole purpose of dumping Rasho, i don't know.  I suppose you would have to make that trade, but its getting very crowded at the 3-4.  Maybe best of all would be Rasho for Marshall, then keep moving Marshall for Shareef.  And sign Scola at a reasonable price.  Get him to realize GNob came in for *less*, proved how good and how team 1st he was then signed the big bucks contract.  Cop the same attitude Long Hair, or pack it over to L.A.

"Luis Scola from Argentina, or if his asking price is too high...."

If this speculation turns out to be accurate, I don't like or want Mr. Long Hair at all.  If he is looking to be *special* and get pampered, then he is probably looking to become a Laker.  Perhaps a sign and trade can be worked out.    

For that matter a sign and trade could be worked out with other teams interested in him.  

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Shareef a Spur?
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 04:22:29 PM »

Shareefs truly copping a team first win first attitude would be a welcome change in NBA Free Greedgency.  Marshall for the sole purpose of dumping Rasho, i don't know.  I suppose you would have to make that trade, but its getting very crowded at the 3-4.  Maybe best of all would be Rasho for Marshall, then keep moving Marshall for Shareef.  And sign Scola at a reasonable price.  Get him to realize GNob came in for *less*, proved how good and how team 1st he was then signed the big bucks contract.  Cop the same attitude Long Hair, or pack it over to L.A.

If this speculation turns out to be accurate, I don't like or want Mr. Long Hair at all.  If he is looking to be *special* and get pampered, then he is probably looking to become a Laker.  Perhaps a sign and trade can be worked out.    

For that matter a sign and trade could be worked out with other teams interested in him.
Reality, the IF part is not because Scola is asking too much.  Its is IF Scola's TEAM asks too much.  the Spurs have to buy out his current contract from his team to get him here - thats where the cost problem has always come into to play.  The league only allows soo much money to be used to buy out a players contract from it's holding team.  Scola will play for his pay range.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Shareef a Spur?
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 04:23:00 PM »
Rumorama: Blazers Blog
ESPN.com's Chad Ford says the Blazers are trying to work out a sign-and-trade with the Spurs, which would allow them to swap a re-signed Shareef Abdur-Rahim to San Antonio for Rasho Nesterovic.

Spurs fans, if we do this then you all owe me big time.  Get out from underneath Rasho's ugly contract, and get Shareef in return.  That is a gift of monumental proportions.
Zig you posted this as I was posting the other.

Indeed you would be owed, big time.

Shareef for Rasho straight across.  Thanks for the gift. :nod:  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Shareef a Spur?
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 04:25:04 PM »
Quote from: SPURSX3,Jul 6 2005, 09:22 PM

Reality, the IF part is not because Scola is asking too much.  Its is IF Scola's TEAM asks too much.  the Spurs have to buy out his current contract from his team to get him here - thats where the cost problem has always come into to play.  The league only allows soo much money to be used to buy out a players contract from it's holding team.  Scola will play for his pay range. [/QUOTE]
Cool. If :D he is copping the same attitude as GNob, it's all good.

Did you catch zigs post on Chad Ford heresay.  Shareef for Rasho.  Thank you basketball/businessball god.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 04:25:35 PM by Reality »

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Shareef a Spur?
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 04:26:28 PM »
<Ahem>

Geoff Petrie is not returning press phone calls at this time.

Why, you may ask, does tbis matter to anyone?

Because when Geoff is not calling the media back on specific points of interest, it means he is in negotiations and he will not talk about what he is up to until it is a done deal.

What, you ask, were the media all in a hurry to talk to Geoff about? He may be planning to resign Cutino Mobley and then trade him to Portland for Rahim, involving a third team in the process, possibly Denver and Nene.    
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Shareef a Spur?
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 04:29:37 PM »
.....as a bizarre side note, apparently the Blazers called the Kings (who with the team they talked to is so far a mystery) to request permission to talk to Rick Adelman about the coaching job in Portland. They were denied permission, which has royally pissed off Adelman after the Kings openly courted Phil Jackson.

Hypocracy of the owners, I suppose.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Shareef a Spur?
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 04:30:01 PM »
What, you ask, were the media all in a hurry to talk to Geoff about? He may be planning to resign Cutino Mobley and then trade him to Portland for Rahim, involving a third team in the process, possibly Denver and Nene.
but Portland wait....um... hold on........

Rasho is.......ahh.......ummmn.....8 inches taller then Mobley!  Yes he is.  8 whole inches!   And um......he's...well.....hes put up double doubles.   More then once!  In fact lots of times.    I've seen him hit 18 foot jumpers.   Lots of times.  And he's 8 inches taller.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Shareef a Spur?
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2005, 04:31:42 PM »
Sorry, Reality, but if Petrie is involved, you may be getting the card board box Rasho came in as compensation.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Shareef a Spur?
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 05:42:59 PM »
Sorry, Reality, but if Petrie is involved, you may be getting the card board box Rasho came in as compensation.
Rasho came in a card board box?

:crazy:  

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Shareef a Spur?
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2005, 10:45:35 PM »
IF the Shareef for Rasho deal is true, and that is a big IF as Chad Ford is not all that reliable, then it tells me that the Blazers are planning on swapping Theo Ratliff for a shooting guard.  So a Shareef to SA, Rasho to PDX, and then Theo to Sacto and Mobley to Portland makes some sense.  Rasho then becomes the back up C instead of Theo.

I had my heart set on Larry Hughes, (yes I know I am delusional), but I gues Cuttino Mobley would OK with me.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Shareef a Spur?
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2005, 10:46:18 AM »
ziggy -

Theo would be the third choice by King's management in that scenario, after Rahim (1), and closely followed by Nene.

Honestly, a three way deal that gives up Mobley for Ratliff, who's only real knock is that he is older then the other two, would not be the type of deal Petrie favors at this time. He is not adding age at this point, but jettisoning it.