Author Topic: Kings observations regarding transactions  (Read 1381 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Kings observations regarding transactions
« on: April 07, 2005, 12:07:41 PM »
The Kings are such a different team now, compared to the roster with which they  started the season. Long time Kings Webber and Christie are gone, Bobby Jackson has sat out all but 26 games, and Brad Miller has been out for a month. So Petrie brought in a ton of new faces to fill up the roster: Corliss Williamson, Kenny Thomas, Cutino Mobley, who were fairly well known commodities prior to coming to Sacramento and have performed as was expected.

But two of the new faces have been particularly surprising. Brian Skinner was a complete non-factor with Philadelphia, even though the Sixers signed him to a good sized contract to bring him back. But he was apparently not needed in the "JOB" market the Sixers ran with Iverson. In Sacramento, the guy has been a huge addition, probably the most important one the Kings have gotten in lieu of the Miller injury. His blocked shots have been the best, but his rebounding and scoring under the basket are bonuses that can't be described by us Kings fans used to passivity under the basket instead of aggression.

If only he were three inches taller.

The other surprise has been Eddie House. Previously known mostly as being Mike Bibby's brother-in-law, Eddie was cut by both Charlotte and Milwaukee earlier this season, totaling only 18 games combined. Why Charlotte cut him loose is a mystery, as he was averaging 11.1 points in 23 minutes a game with them. You would think they could find a place on that roster for a scorer off the bench. House has one of the smoothest releases anyone on the Kings has seen, and this is the universal opinion from a shooting team. He plays good defense. With Bobby Jackson hurt, he is the ONLY option to spell Mike Bibby as a point guard, though Eddie is actually a two.

Expectations for House were not that high when we signed him. But without him, Bibby could well be done for the year from shear exhaustion. House has not only filled in for Bibby so he could get some rest, he has convinced Adelman to leave him on the court longer then need be simply because he has been doing such an outstanding job running the team, shooting the ball and playing above average defense.

It could be said that his signing saved the Kings' season. He could have underperformed and put Adelman in the unpleasant position of playing Bibby 40 plus minutes a game, which he was starting to do. Now, he has a legitimate option in House to spell Mike for as long as he wants.

If only he were a 6'1" point guard instead of a shooting guard.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 12:13:59 PM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 12:20:30 PM »
I think we can chalk up this good news to Mr. P himself.  He does seem to know what players to grab for what he is trying to do.

I never would have thought House would make a big difference on any team.  figured he would end up as one of those guys who bounces around everywhere year after year.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 12:21:03 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 12:33:44 PM »
I can't predict that he will even stay with the Kings next year, though he looks to be playing himself into a position where the Kings will need to make a tough choice regarding him in the off-season.

He definitely has surprised people within the organization as well as us King's fans with his play. His shooting has been excellent, especially lately. It could be he is just going through one of those streaks where the basket looks like a swimming pool to him, but even old HOF'er Pete Carill, who knows a thing or two about players, said of House, "His stroke is as good as I've ever seen. He's got a perfect release, as does Mike".
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 12:38:55 PM »
I can't predict that he will even stay with the Kings next year, though he looks to be playing himself into a position where the Kings will need to make a tough choice regarding him in the off-season.

He definitely has surprised people within the organization as well as us King's fans with his play. His shooting has been excellent, especially lately. It could be he is just going through one of those streaks where the basket looks like a swimming pool to him, but even old HOF'er Pete Carill, who knows a thing or two about players, said of House, "His stroke is as good as I've ever seen. He's got a perfect release, as does Mike".
House was never a horrible player.  Just not a real stand out player.  Kinda reminds me of Bibby in the way that they were both solid players but didnt get a chance to take their game to that next level under the system/coach they had previously.  Maybe Eddie will take his game up a few ticks like Bibby did now that hes on the Kings.

Really its a lot easier to play when you are on a good team than on a crappy one.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 01:54:30 PM »
House was never a horrible player.  Just not a real stand out player.  Kinda reminds me of Bibby in the way that they were both solid players but didnt get a chance to take their game to that next level under the system/coach they had previously.  Maybe Eddie will take his game up a few ticks like Bibby did now that hes on the Kings.

Really its a lot easier to play when you are on a good team than on a crappy one.
Well, that is true enough.

I am also starting to understand the affect that Pete Carill has on the players that pass through Sacramento. This guy is an absolute guru in teaching the basic techniques needed by players to excel not only in the Sacramento system, but in the NBA as well. He turns average passers, such as Thomas and Skinner, into much more efficient ballhandlers. The same has even been more true with House, who is not a true backup point guard at all. But there Eddie is, looking for his cutters under the basket, just like Carill taught Christie and Bibby to do.

Mobley, that noted ballhog, has said his time in Sacramento and working with Carill has taught him so much more about ball movement and such that he knows he will be a much better player no matter where he goes from here.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 02:59:30 PM »
House was never a horrible player.  Just not a real stand out player.  Kinda reminds me of Bibby in the way that they were both solid players but didnt get a chance to take their game to that next level under the system/coach they had previously.  Maybe Eddie will take his game up a few ticks like Bibby did now that hes on the Kings.

Well, that is true enough.

I am also starting to understand the affect that Pete Carill has on the players that pass through Sacramento. This guy is an absolute guru in teaching the basic techniques needed by players to excel not only in the Sacramento system, but in the NBA as well. He turns average passers, such as Thomas and Skinner, into much more efficient ballhandlers. The same has even been more true with House, who is not a true backup point guard at all. But there Eddie is, looking for his cutters under the basket, just like Carill taught Christie and Bibby to do.

Mobley, that noted ballhog, has said his time in Sacramento and working with Carill has taught him so much more about ball movement and such that he knows he will be a much better player no matter where he goes from here.
Excuse my ignorance but I never pay attention to the coach staff of other teams aside from the head coach.  Does he come in to help out or is he actually there for every game?

Not sure how much you saw Bibby prior to suiting up to the Kings but Pete really must have helped him tons because he looks like a different player.  Went from a solid player on a crappy team to a leader in the playoffs who hits big shots.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 03:00:11 PM by westkoast »

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 03:38:55 PM »
Excuse my ignorance but I never pay attention to the coach staff of other teams aside from the head coach.  Does he come in to help out or is he actually there for every game?

Not sure how much you saw Bibby prior to suiting up to the Kings but Pete really must have helped him tons because he looks like a different player.  Went from a solid player on a crappy team to a leader in the playoffs who hits big shots.
Pete Carill earned his creds as the coach at Princeton, which he took to NCAA finals routinely. I believe his team won it all at least once. It is why he is in the Hall of Fame.

Then he retired and found he had all this knowledge and little to do with it. In comes his old student/athelete Geoff Petrie, who suggests to Rich Adelman that his contributions to his passing offense might be handy. This was....oh... maybe 5 or six years ago - about the time the Kings started to turn things around. His status was originally as an adviser and a guy to work with the younger and younger kids coming into the league. That soon changed. Today, he sits next to Adelman just about every game, unless his health problems flair up. He is his most valuable assistant coach now.

Needless to say, his pro students did not take kindly at first to his insistance on passing and ball and player movement, to hit the cutter going to the basket and to always be looking for the extra pass. NBA players are notoriously selfish once they get paid to be "the Show".

But that first year, Vlade Divac, of all people, already known to be a terrific passer, was suggested by Carill to be the instigator of the offense. Vlade was not so sure this would work in the pros, but Carill can be persuasive and Adelman was already seeing the benefits.

Then, in one game, Vlade starts running what eventually would be called the Princeton Offense, maybe just to shut the old man up, who knows. What Vlade found were these wide open teammates cutting into the lane and he starts looking like a passing wizard more then ever. Divac is shown often later that year running back up the court after an easy layin by Webber, pointing at his coach in recognition.

Soon the entire team starts to see how they all can share the ball and still get plenty of looks and plenty of shots, just not all glued to one player (except for Webber, this makes everyone just so happy they are clearly seen peeing in glee on the court). Players come to Sacramento realyze right away they are expected to be passers, shooters, ballmovers, and cutters. All of them, not just the known shooters and passers. They all buy into it because they all are a part of it.

Pete is no longer a young man. He has no family out in Sacramento, and having lived his whole life in New Jersey, he had fewer connections at first. So when Boston offered him an assistant coaching gig back east, with a handsome raise, you would have figured he would jump at the chance to return to his home and live out his basketball days close to his known world. But he turned them down.

When asked why on earth would he decide against going back home, since his health is shaky and his family is back there, his answer was: "Two words. Geoff Petrie".

Sometimes, the worth of a really good General Manager does not just show up in the free agent signings and trades he makes.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 02:47:47 PM by JoMal »