Author Topic: Spurs sign the Big Dog?!?!  (Read 1922 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Spurs sign the Big Dog?!?!
« on: April 05, 2005, 08:30:44 AM »
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spurs_sign_g...son_050404.html

Can't say I saw this one coming.

Thing with the Spurs, they have the clout to make him a 4th option.  Which he could probably do for 20 minutes/night.  In philly he would have wanted to be #2.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 08:58:30 AM »
For who?

Big Dork can definitely shoot when he's hot.  Unfortunately he still shoots when he is not hot.  
Beyond that, i hope he can be given an attitude adjustment as to team play.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 09:06:06 AM »
EVERY team in the NBA is laughing right now -- it's EXACTLY what you want to see -- the Spurs LOSE their defensive intensity by signing a guy who has NEVER played defense in his life!!!  This is a REALLY stupid signing -- unless they are afraid that they aren't going to have TD in the post, this signing doesn't make any sense whatsoever!

As for making him a 4th option (and the Spurs having the "clout" to do so) -- umm, clout means NOTHING to the Big Dog -- he simply is a black hole when it comes to the ball.  You throw the ball into him and it's NEVER coming back out!  

I think this is another Pop "project" -- like Samaki Walker, etc.  It's NOT going to pan out and Robinson will finish this season riding the pine because he doesn't play defense and he doesn't buy into the offensive scheme that Pop runs.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 09:58:36 PM »
I just read this, I dont know what t make of it.  I was under the impression that his career was done.  now it seems like he basically sat out of NO and waited to be waived, so who knows WHAT kind of shape he could be in.  Is this what we can expect from players how get dealt to New Orleans???  Dont know what to make out of signing the big dog...have to watch him in a game or two...hoepfully he is not wasted space...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 10:55:42 PM »
well i can tell you that fro looking at most of the fan boards they are shocked and not happy with this...but trying to stay positive about it.   Glover was a pretty good guy considering he was on 10 day contracts...i liked glover play, he played hard and helped our runs quite a bit while he was with us...sigh.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 01:14:45 AM »
:huh:  
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jn

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 10:01:40 AM »
Hire the recently retired Gene Keady.  He's the only coach who has ever made Robinson play up to his potential on both ends of the floor.  Plus you get the bonus of watching Gene Keady, owner of the world's most hilarious combover and most disgusted faces when something goes wrong.

This is a really, really strange move by the spurs.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 11:27:31 AM »
one of our assistant coaches brought the idea up to Pop in the coaches meeting, O'brien worked with Robinson back in the day and said we should give him a call.  He came in and worked out for us, they say he is not in game shape, but still has a shot, so decied to sign him, he is not completely out of shape, robinson has been working out with the treadmill since being on IL apperantly, but his physical could have been better.  they say he is excited to be with the team, he said he was down about being in Philly and New Orleans and is up about playing for us and getting another shot at the NBA.  Big Dog sounds like he is ready to go out and have some fun, doesnt sound to stressed.  Pop could only say that defense, "Is not his forte" but Robinson went on to say to another reporter, " (Pop) said that if Danny Ferry could pick up on the concept...", Big dog should be able to get it too...

Ferry is a Spurs exec now so that must have been a good laugh in the back.  We might see this guy play some tonight against the clippers.  The Spurs back to backs 3 times in the next 6 games it looks like...pretty tough, Pop may even sit Manu out of the second game of each Back to Back set...which means we more than likely lose those three games.....

Guest_Randy

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 12:03:03 PM »
But at least Ferry was willing to play the "hatchet" man -- Robinson doesn't like to get his hands dirty -- never has.  

This is just a STUPID sign -- it makes you wonder if the Spurs are feeling pressure or if Pop is looking for another "project."  

And, duh, Robinson wasn't "happy" in Milwaukee, he wasn't happy in Philly, he wasn't happy in NO but suddenly he's happy in SA?  Yeah, he's happy that someone ELSE is willing to pay him to ride the pine -- oh, and he might get a ring out of it too!  I'd have a TOUGH time stomaching this as a Spurs fan!  

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2005, 01:23:50 PM »
But at least Ferry was willing to play the "hatchet" man -- Robinson doesn't like to get his hands dirty -- never has.  

This is just a STUPID sign -- it makes you wonder if the Spurs are feeling pressure or if Pop is looking for another "project."  

And, duh, Robinson wasn't "happy" in Milwaukee, he wasn't happy in Philly, he wasn't happy in NO but suddenly he's happy in SA?  Yeah, he's happy that someone ELSE is willing to pay him to ride the pine -- oh, and he might get a ring out of it too!  I'd have a TOUGH time stomaching this as a Spurs fan!
like i said, dont know what to make of it, got to see him in a few games to see if he was worth it or not...i am thinking that he was not...

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2005, 01:46:40 PM »
Glenn Robinson????!!!!!

:puke:  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."