Author Topic: Boozer potentially to the Lakers  (Read 2300 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Boozer potentially to the Lakers
« on: February 21, 2005, 05:38:15 PM »
Jack Haley is reporting the Lakers and Jazz have done a deal of Caron Butler, Vlade Divac, and Devan George for Carlos Boozer.  It is just waiting league approval.

I will believe it when I see it.  Boozer has struggled of late, but come on.  They can do much better than this.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Guest_Randy

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 10:04:38 PM »
I would LOVE to see this happen!  I like Caron Butler but the other two are fodder (and probably less long term money) -- move Odom over to SF (or better yet trade him) -- this is a GREAT move for the Lakers!!!  I too won't believe it until it happens.

Offline Mr. Meaner

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 10:54:47 PM »
Yesterday's (Sunday's) Sacramento Bee had an article about a potential trade between the Kings and Lakers. The mere thought makes me gag, but they said that Kupchek contacted the Maloofs and Petrie (who is in Spain on a scouting trip at the moment) about a trade of Lamar Odom for Peja.

The Maloofs turned it down flat. It does not work on a salary base either, since Odom makes about 3 million more then Peja, so another player from the Kings would have to be involved.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 10:09:28 AM »
That is just a stupid trade for the Jazz.  Only Kupcake makes trades this stupid and he's not working for the Jazz.

FYI:

Lakers reportedly to get Boozer from Jazz
FOXSports.com
Posted: 8 hours ago    

A crazy season of turmoil and upheaval in Los Angeles might be taking another turn.  Fox Sports Net's Jack Haley is reporting the Lakers will trade Vlade Divac, Caron Butler and Devean George to the Utah Jazz in exchange for big man Carlos Boozer, pending league approval.

Trade rumors swirled around the Lakers all through All-Star Weekend in Denver, particularly forward Lamar Odom. One report Sunday said Odom had been offered to the Kings for All-Star forward Peja Stojakovic. And another said that Odom was dangled to Utah in a Boozer trade.  But the Los Angeles Times reported Monday that the Lakers said Odom had not been discussed in any trade talks.

And Sunday, the Jazz denied they had been talking to the Lakers about a trade involving Boozer.  "Absolutely ludicrous," Jazz senior vice president Kevin O'Connor was quoted as saying in the Deseret Morning News about the Boozer trade talk.  And Jazz owner Larry Miller told a Utah TV station, "We haven't been shopping Carlos around at all. In fact, I have to tell you right now, as honestly as I can, that I have a hard time imagining circumstances that would have us trading Carlos."

The NBA's trade deadline is Thursday.  Butler and Odom, along with Brian Grant, were acquired by the Lakers last July from the Heat as part of the Shaquille O'Neal blockbuster. Divac came to the Lakers in an off-season attempt to help fill the void left by O'Neal's departure, but Divac has been injury-plagued and played only eight games all season.

Trade rumors have swirled around both Carlos Boozer and Lamar Odom.  Boozer spurned the Cavaliers in the off-season to sign a six-year, $68 million contract with the Jazz. He came under fire from the Cavaliers when they claimed he bolted for Utah after reneging on a verbal agreement to work out a long-term deal to stay in Cleveland.  And recently Boozer has also caught heat in Utah, with Miller saying that he overpaid for Boozer "for what we expected."

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 10:35:21 AM »
Ill be PISSED if they get rid of Caron Butler.  Hes the only guy who's been playing defense worth talking about this season lol.   He also is very aggressive/smart player on the offensive end.   George, Divac, and Butler is too much for Boozer IMO.   I also dont agree with trading Odom.  His defensive rebounding each night is keeping them from getting pounded on the boards most nights.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2005, 10:37:05 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 11:43:37 AM »
This trade won't happen. I'll tell you right now. I'd be really surprised if it happened after what Miller said.

BUT, as a Jazz fan, I'm not sure I wouldn't like this trade. Boozer is an effort guy, and when the effort is inconsistent, he's pretty much just another guy. He's good, but he's not a franchise type guy. Butler, however, is MUCH more talented than Booz, and he's just going to keep going up. I can see him making a pretty mean frontcourt with AK47 and Okur. Of course, AK, Boozer, and Okur should make a pretty mean frontcourt one of these days, too. Anyway, I think the Lakers have a great player for the future in Butler. If they could get a legit PF for Odom, they'd get scary pretty fast.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 11:46:24 AM »
Interesting.

All this talk about the potential of the Lakers getting Boozer, but not one word about the above-mentioned trade with Sacramento for Peja, which was ranked higher by the media types as much more intriquing, regardless of its unlikelihood of occurring.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2005, 01:06:07 PM »
On talent alone Odom is better than Peja.   He's more versitile and overall has better skills with the obvious exception of shooting.  Both guys are not having good years but last year Odom lived up to some of his potential.  Despite all that I would prefer to have Peja.  He's a better team mate, professional and overall a better person.  I would jump on this trade if I were the Lakers.

FYI, the Kings have confirmed there were trade talks involving Peja for Odom, the talk around town is that it was Webber for Odom at one point as well.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Guest_Randy

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2005, 01:17:27 PM »
Interesting.

All this talk about the potential of the Lakers getting Boozer, but not one word about the above-mentioned trade with Sacramento for Peja, which was ranked higher by the media types as much more intriquing, regardless of its unlikelihood of occurring.
I would LOVE to get Peja in a Lakers uniform -- he is one of my favorite players (is there a better pure shooter in the league?  not IMO) but I just didn't put much stock in it.  I don't think Odom is a very good fit for the motion offense of SacTown.  He would help them a great deal in rebounding (a much better rebounder than Peja) but he isn't nearly the shooter (although he can break down defenders better than Peja).  

I didn't respond to this because, as much as I would like to see it happen, I just don't think it has a prayer.

By-the-way, the way I read it was:  Peja and Bobby Jax for Odom!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2005, 01:20:24 PM »
By-the-way, the way I read it was:  Peja and Bobby Jax for Odom!
Dam!  I just wet my pants!  Hate that happy puppy dog reflex!  :bounce:  
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Guest_Randy

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2005, 01:42:25 PM »
By-the-way, the way I read it was:  Peja and Bobby Jax for Odom!
Here I'll lay some papers down for you next time, WOW.  But that's the way I felt about it too -- but remember, when it seems too good to be true -- it usually is!

Except for these:
   Lakers acquire Kareem Abdul Jabbar!
   Lakers acquire Magic Johnson!
   Lakers acquire James Worthy!
   Lakers acquire Byron Scott
   Lakers acquire Kobe Bryant!
   Lakers acquire Shaq!

Of course, there's a new era in Lakerville -- the era of Mitch Cupcake!  And so far, the trades are less than astounding!  Far less!!!

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2005, 01:58:13 PM »
Jack Haley is a hack.  He is the only one reporting this story to date.  If it were David Aldridge reporting the trade, I would already be discussing the new lineup ... Odom moves back down to his natural position, the 3, Boozer at the 4, Chris "the next Wilt Chamberlain" Mihm at the 5 .... not a bad frontcourt.  Until the deal is inked and the players are wearing their new uni's I won't believe anything Haley says.  

In the unlikely event that this trade did occur, I would have mixed feelings.  I love Butler, he is a class act and has a ton of upside.  He can be inconsistent at times, but he always hustles and has a great attitude.   On paper, I think it's a great deal.  The Lakers would be unloading two dead-weight players, Divac and George and getting a young, 4, banger that they've needed since the beginning of time.  My main problem with this potential trade is that you are trading a "good character" guy for what I consider a "questionable-at-best character" guy.  I still can't shake the shafting that Boozer gave to the Cavs.  Paxson should be shot for being an idiot, but you're only as good as your word, and apparently Boozer is not an honorable guy.  And now he's disgruntled in Utah?  Hmmm.  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2005, 02:07:55 PM »
By-the-way, the way I read it was:  Peja and Bobby Jax for Odom!
 :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."