Author Topic: Wolves fire Saunders  (Read 1925 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Wolves fire Saunders
« on: February 12, 2005, 04:45:03 PM »
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Wolves fire Saunders
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 06:05:26 PM »
One part of me wants to say "Idiots" and the other is saying that its a coaches job to help keep the whole team on the same page.  No matter how hard it is with players who are struggling to feed their families on the McDonalds-like NBA salary.  No matter if the top point guard is injured.  That is Flip's job.  The question is how much is this his fault and how much of the blame should fall onto the shoulders of players not named KG?  Maybe because no one wants to acquire Spree, Cassell, Hudson, or Wally for various reasons?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Guest_Randy

Wolves fire Saunders
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 08:04:41 PM »
I mentioned this the other day -- and I truly believed the TWolves were looking to hang this dismal season on ANYONE other than the people truly responsible -- the players!  Flip is the SAME coach who has taken the TWolves to where they were before -- I don't think that Flip is in the same league as Rick Carlisle, Larry Brown, etc. but I do think he is at the next level with Pop, PJ, etc.  It is REALLY hard to believe that they are hanging all of this on Flip -- however, I don't believe anything is going to change because personell isn't going to change.

I made the comment the other day that I truly believe that IF they pulled the trigger on firing Saunders that I felt there was a very REAL possibility that KG would force the TWolves to trade him.  I think that possibility just became MUCH bigger.  I don't think KG is going to like the firing of Saunders -- and I think he becomes MUCH more unhappy in Minny.  

It's hard to imagine Minnesota trading KG but I think that if things don't change, they may not have much choice!

Guest_spursfan101

Wolves fire Saunders
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005, 10:59:51 PM »
JN, your thoughts??

The wrong guy got fired, it should have been pinned the long legged Celtic wonder himself.  He didn't do what he needed to do in the offseason.

Flip will land on his feet though.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Wolves fire Saunders
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 12:13:21 AM »
flip may just be the next laker coach...interesting.

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

rickortreat

Wolves fire Saunders
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 01:11:14 PM »
Well, if it's the players, then it's McHale's fault.  But since he's going to be the coach for the rest of the season, if the Wolves don't turn it around He'll have no one else to blame.

I don't know if he was unhappy with Flip, or just thought that the players weren't responding to him anymore.  The players should have a little more incentive to listen to Kevin.  If they don't perform up to his expectations, he'll send them packing.

I think McHale will be a good coach.  Very smart player.  

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Wolves fire Saunders
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 11:27:23 AM »
SpursX3,

When Saunders was fired, I was thinking the same thing:  "There's the next Laker coach."

If you were to install Saunders' ball-movement offense in LA, with Bryant, Butler, and Odom, you're talking three players who might just have career years.  

Saunders *IS* a big name, and DOES have some credibility with the players.  And as to whether he can handle the LA soap opera or not, this year's Minnesota team has been just as much chaos, if not more.

I'm thinking Saunders is a PERFECT fit for LA.  And considering he's top-notch in the X's and O's department, I think the LA fans will worship the guy.  And if Garnett became unhappy in Minnesota, might he wish to join his old coach - the only coach to ever coach Minnesota to a playoff game?

Hey, Kupchak - CALL SAUNDERS NOW!

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Wolves fire Saunders
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2005, 11:40:27 AM »
As least this year, Saunders did a poor job of coaching.

It started with his players, of course, but that disagreement fell to McHale to resolve and that would be where the blame for the initial disgruntled news blurbs coming out of Minnesota has to fall - on McHale.

But once the season started, Saunders got the players to perform, at least on the court, for the first quarter of the season, and nothing looked out of the ordinary. It was only when things went south that the focus went to what Flip was doing. His rotation ideas, to try to find the right mix, we were told, made even players from other teams scratch their heads and wonder what he was up to. It looked confused, and it never worked.

Saunders would have been better off deciding on a rotation and then sticking to it. His in-game decision-making was not solving the problem, but adding to it by confusing the players and making it hard for the players to have that continuity and chemistry on the court needed to win consistently in the League.

And if anyone thinks THIS type of showing as a couch trying to work out the problems for a troubled franchise would appeal to the Lakers and THEIR issues, I have news for you. Even the Lakers should know better.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 11:41:44 AM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Guest_Randy

Wolves fire Saunders
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2005, 10:14:20 AM »
Where is jn at?  I would love to see his response on the firing of Flip but he seems to have been a no-show for a long time?  

Is everyone losing interest in this board?

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Wolves fire Saunders
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2005, 11:15:07 AM »
Where is jn at?  I would love to see his response on the firing of Flip but he seems to have been a no-show for a long time?  

well there isnt much to say about the wolves this season, so i can understand why he hasnt been here...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

jn

Wolves fire Saunders
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2005, 11:51:51 AM »
Hey all,

Half of my department at work has been out.   Unbelievably busy.  I'll try and post about Saunders next week.  

For now I'll just say, no, Flip was not the main problem but it's always easier to fire a coach than to fire a team.  That's just the way it works.  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Wolves fire Saunders
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2005, 11:53:58 AM »

Not very interested in b-ball this year except for the Clippers.  The drama in L.A. has really turned me off, I'm a bigger fan of Shaq than the Lakers right now.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"