Author Topic: Kings trade Christie to Magic for Mobley . . .  (Read 985 times)

Guest_Randy

Kings trade Christie to Magic for Mobley . . .
« on: January 11, 2005, 09:59:38 AM »
Okay, I guess I can understand this from the Magic's point of view -- they want a defensive stopper in their backcourt.  I guess the Kings want more offense but they give away their best defensive player -- and this isn't a team known for it's defense (although it had been better this year than previously).  However, they also give away their best court leader, IMO, since shipping off Divac (and Bobby Jax is down).  I'm not sure I understand this from SacTown's point of view.  I think the Kings were already hurting in the chemistry department (and that is something that has meant so much for them over the years) so they dump their best chemistry player?  Both of these players contracts expire in a year so it really wasn't a contract move (unless they didn't want to put themselves in a position to have to reject signing Christie in the future).  

I'm not really sure what to think about this trade from SacTown's perspective!  :huh:  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 10:13:44 AM »
No effin way!!!!  You know if this was any other message board I'd be quick to say 'ya right' but since this is phillyarena all I can do is  :huh:

Christie not only is more consistant with his play....hes 5x the defender Mobley will ever be.  How could this trade make sense?  JoMaL can ya help us out?  Im completely confused on how the Kings think they get the better end of the deal here.  

Does defense, consistancy, and playoff expierence not matter in this league anymore?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jn

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 10:22:26 AM »
What's the age difference between these two?  Christie must be four or five years older however he seems like a guy who takes pretty good care of himself. He certainly isn't out at the clubs all night.    

Maybe the Maloofs are preemptively disassociating themselves from the upcoming Doug and Jackie Christie reality show.  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 10:42:41 AM »
With no real shot blocker in the middle and very little interior defense.......why would you trade away one of the best perimeter defenders left in the NBA?

Where is the crack smoking smiley?

Guest_Randy

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 11:06:26 AM »
I'd disagree that the Kings have very little interior defense -- BRad is a very good interior defender -- while it's obvious that CWebb has lost a step (more like 1 and 3/4), don't negate BRad.  I DO agree that the Kings should not have traded away Christie -- who is going to cover the leagues best backcourt players now?  

I still can't help but wonder if the Kings are trying to help their chemistry problems -- unfortunately, I think (if that's the case) Christie is the LAST player they should have traded.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 01:41:23 PM »
I'd disagree that the Kings have very little interior defense -- BRad is a very good interior defender -- while it's obvious that CWebb has lost a step (more like 1 and 3/4), don't negate BRad.  I DO agree that the Kings should not have traded away Christie -- who is going to cover the leagues best backcourt players now?  

I still can't help but wonder if the Kings are trying to help their chemistry problems -- unfortunately, I think (if that's the case) Christie is the LAST player they should have traded.
How effective is Brad Miller at guarding his own man and boxing out other players when he has to come over to help Webber/Ostertag?  

Hes not a bad defender but just because you have on OK post defender does not make up for the lack of interior defense the Kings have.  In a few Kings loses I've seen teams beat them because they can attack the middle with ease.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 02:22:40 PM »
Doug was the double-down defender for the Kings. This forces the other players to concentrate fully on stopping their man because there will no longer be a Doug Christie to bail them out.

The issues about this trade:

1. The Magic initiated the trade talks, wanting to get Christie specifically to help the team in their greatest weakness - guarding the very tough Eastern shooting guards.

2. The Kings are unlikely to pay Mobley what he expects after this season, which will give Sacramento some cap room to pay for a free agent or extend Peja's contract.

3. Mobley adds to the Kings offensive arsenal while giving opponents a disadvantage by making them slip in their own saliva as they salivate over facing the defenseless Sacramento squad. The mop up boys are going to be kept busy under the basket where the Kings are allegedly defending.

4. I think the Mavericks are a poor choice for the Kings to model their own team around. Outscoring opponents will be their only recourse now.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."