Author Topic: Gotta love those Sixers.  (Read 1565 times)

Rickortreat

Gotta love those Sixers.
« on: January 05, 2005, 11:56:10 PM »
Wasn't too long ago that I wrote it was too early to tell what kind of a team the Sixers were.  I saw flashes, but too much inconsistency and a severe inability to close out games.

Well, they just finished pasting the Utah Jazz at home, in a revenge match for a loss to the same team 16 days ago.  This time they came out of the gate hot, and Utah could never close the gap.  That they stayed in it all the way and didn't give up says alot about their character.  Without Kirilenko, they lack the talent to stay with the Sixers.

Even more impressive than that,  (the Sixers always have trouble in Utah)  the Sixers have one game left on a 8 game road trip to the west coast.  So far they're 5-2 and ordinarilly, I'd say they're not ready to beat a team like the T-wolves, but they've been playing badly the last few games and the Sixers are playing like a real team.

Their defense has really picked up, and there are few teams in the league that can handle their pressure.  Dalemebert while still raw and inconsistent, is a shot blocker and decent rebounder.  On offense, they've finally figured out how to play together.  Iverson is playing the best ball of his career as a point, and few in the league can stay with him.  

The team has more confidence taking open shots and it's starting to have a big effect on the way they play.  They can beat teams on the inside with their slashers, and if a team packs it in, they have enough outside shooting to make them pay.

Still a growing, developing team, but I'm starting to feel optimistic.  O'Brien has a very different style from Brown, and the team took a long time to come around, probably because O'Brien couldn't figure out his starting lineup or rotation.  It no longer seems to matter, partly because he's settled out the rotation and partly because all the players are getting used to each other.

If they continue to progress, they will soon be at the top of the Atlantic.  Miami is so far the best team in the East.  The suspensions have really hurt Indiana and puts them below the Sixers.  It's not impossible for the Sixers to go far in the playoffs.  They're deep, they work hard on defense, they like to run, and they have two  A.I's, Iverson and Igoudala.   They are a very athletic team and they can go hard all night.  They're still learing how good can be, and talent wise they're right up there.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Gotta love those Sixers.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 01:41:06 AM »
You call a 7 point win a pasting Rick? Well they ARE an EC team, I guess that qualifies.  :D  
Dan

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Gotta love those Sixers.
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 07:27:09 AM »
You call a 7 point win a pasting Rick? Well they ARE an EC team, I guess that qualifies.

If you had seen the game, it was a pasting.  They were up 18 after 1, 20 in the second, and Utah made a late run for cosmetic purposes.

Kenny Thomas nearly outscored the Utah team in the first quarter (21-18)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Gotta love those Sixers.
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 09:44:24 AM »
I guess you guys missed the Clippers game.  The Clippers handed the Sissies thier arses on a GOLD platter. They suck, no way they are in Indy's league, with or without Artest.

The Sixers are very athletic but with no size.  Tall and skinny doesn't win in the playoffs, you need some bulk to control the paint and boards.  The only bulk they have is a 3rd string NBDL center in Jackson.

The only reason the Sixers MIGHT win the Atlantic is because it's the worst conference in the history of the NBA.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 09:45:00 AM by WayOutWest »
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Gotta love those Sixers.
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 11:47:44 AM »
Sixers are an average team, couple games above .500, might make second round.

But there's not an abundance of bulk in the east.  Neither Jermaine or Foster are bulky in indiana, and Croshere might have bulk but he doesn't use it.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Gotta love those Sixers.
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 12:02:07 PM »
Sixers are an average team, couple games above .500, might make second round.

But there's not an abundance of bulk in the east.  Neither Jermaine or Foster are bulky in indiana, and Croshere might have bulk but he doesn't use it.
There is some bulk to be found but it seems like the Sixers have decided they want an atheltic team above all else.  Almost all the players on the squad seem to be lanky jumpers.  They all seem to have that Scottie Pippen look.

When the Sixers get motivated they can put allot of full court pressure on opposing team PG's.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Gotta love those Sixers.
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 12:06:34 PM »
Most of the bulk comes from the bench in Jackson (who's playing good), skinner and williamson.

But none of them are defenders.

our strength on defense is wing defenders.  now with salmons and iggy starting, we have 2 very good (with Iguodala being potentially an all-defensive team) 6'7" wing defenders, which is the most important position to defend in the league.

Which is good, because outside of Dalembert we have nobody to contest penetration if they do get in the lane.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Gotta love those Sixers.
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 02:03:00 PM »
Beating the Utah Jazz right now ranks just above beating the Hornets or Bobcats. The Sixers may make the playoffs in the East, but against the West they are 5-10, and other then the win in Seattle, have not played or beaten anyone of note, just the Portlands, Denvers, or Golden State, which actually ranks as a more impressive win then the one over the Jazz, as they currently, at least, are playing competitive basketball.        
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

rickortreat

Gotta love those Sixers.
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 02:30:41 PM »
This is a developing, improving team that is still far from complete.  Using their record to date is no way to effectivly evaluate their potential.

But how many teams go on an 8 game road trip to the West and come out with a 5-2 record with one game left?  That's the sign of a winning team, wheather you see that or not.

The other thing is that they're increasing their scoring from one game to the next.   This is not Larry Browns Sixers, that ground teams into the floor with stiffling defense.  This is a a team that's learning a new system of defense and offense that rely's on turnovers, blocks and the fastest point guard in the league, and wins by oustscoring as much as it does by defending.  (much more exciting to watch for fans)

There's no point in making a projection about a team that's only just starting to find themselves and learn to win.  It was only 9 games ago that they blew a 20+ pt. lead against New York.  Since that time they're 6-3, and even at this point have a .500 record against plus .500 ballclubs.

Lets see how they continue to progress over the next 2-3 months befor comming to any conclusions about how good they are or where they'll end up in the playoffs.  

Guest_Randy

Gotta love those Sixers.
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2005, 02:48:51 PM »
Actually, I have noticed that no one has mentioned the fact that this year, AI has been more team oriented, for the most part, than in the past.  I've been impressed with that as a fan -- of course, as a FNBA GM, I would rather he share the ball a little (I like the high assists numbers he is putting up) but still manage to score 40 points, 3 steals and 12 or 13 ft's per night, lol.