Author Topic: 13 in 33 seconds!? T-mac & Houston wins!  (Read 2488 times)

rickortreat

13 in 33 seconds!? T-mac & Houston wins!
« on: December 09, 2004, 10:55:46 PM »
Just saw the end of the Houston, SA game.  Looked like Houston was done, down by 12 with about 40 seconds left.

But Houston did not die.  I have a little rule when I watch a ballgame: anything over a 10 point lead with 2 minutes left to go, and the game is over.  Have to add a little corollary to that- NOT WHEN T-MAC is PLAYING!

T-mac is shooting three's over defenders, Houston is pressuring and fouling.  San Antonio can't protect the ball.  The result?  McGrady doesn't miss a shot, shoots 4 treys, gets fouled on one and makes the freethrow and Houston comes back from down by 12 with T-Mac sinking a 3 at the buzzer.

Yowza!

Guest_Randy

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 11:28:11 PM »
Rick,

I too thought that game was done -- perhaps Houston is going to find a way to get their act together after all.

Anyone else think that Yao just doesn't have the drive to reach his potential in the NBA?  He just seems too "content" with his conditioning and just takes the game as it comes to him rather than going after it.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 12:55:15 AM »
I fell asleep after the 1st half.  Offensive Titan coaches had me snoozing.

Devin Brown needed merely to hold on and get fouled.  Oh well.  Can't say that dribbling was a horrible idea with only 6 tics left.

Props  to TMac.  

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 09:35:11 AM »
Replays show that Pollard tripped Brown on that final possession.  However have to give credit to T-Mac....hitting 3 off balance, well guarded shots in the final minute is unbelievable.  As he said in the post game interview...after the first one went in he felt that no matter what he threw at the basket was going to go in.  Bet he couldn't do it again if given 10 opportunities.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

jn

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 09:50:18 AM »
I quit watching with like 24 seconds to go.  Just incredible!

I don't know if it's a lack of drive with Yao or what but he really is a disappointment in terms of rebounding.  

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004, 10:09:25 AM »
Amazing to watch. Can't say it was a complete SA choke job (2 crucial mistakes by Timmy and the slip by Brown), T-Mac was just on fire, it was a beautiful sight to see.
Paul

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2004, 10:40:21 AM »
I quit watching with like 24 seconds to go.  Just incredible!

I don't know if it's a lack of drive with Yao or what but he really is a disappointment in terms of rebounding.
Yea whats up with Yao this year?  I know they are having trouble meshing (the team) but jeez......the guy is posting up regular numbers.  I thought he was the next Shaq?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Guest_Randy

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2004, 11:03:44 AM »
Have you watched Yao play?  He just doesn't seem aggressive -- compare him to Amare Stoudamire -- Yao has a LOT more talent than Amare (although he isn't as athletic) but Yao doesn't seem to be nearly as aggressive -- I realize that this may be subjective but he doesn't seem as "driven" as he needs to be to become the next Shaq (of course, there have been too many seasons when Shaq hasn't been driven enough, IMO).  

I have seen some games where Yao has been aggressive -- but most of the games that I have seen that just isn't the case.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2004, 11:15:23 AM »
Have you watched Yao play?  He just doesn't seem aggressive -- compare him to Amare Stoudamire -- Yao has a LOT more talent than Amare (although he isn't as athletic) but Yao doesn't seem to be nearly as aggressive -- I realize that this may be subjective but he doesn't seem as "driven" as he needs to be to become the next Shaq (of course, there have been too many seasons when Shaq hasn't been driven enough, IMO).  

I have seen some games where Yao has been aggressive -- but most of the games that I have seen that just isn't the case.
I've seen Yao play once and watch part of another Houston game.  T-mac is one of my favorite players next to Kobe but I just havent been able to watch em play.

I do check stats tho and I'm not seeing Yao dominating.  He's posting up regular numbers.

rickortreat

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2004, 11:28:05 AM »
I don't know enough about Yao to really say anything, but IMO its a cultural thing.  He respects other players and doesn't want to hurt them.  He doesn't realize that on the court these other players would practiacally cut his heart out to win.

There are other players like that, that I've seen.  Sam Perkins comes to mind as a guy with plenty of talent and ability but no aggression.  Both he and Yao could use a little of whatever it is Charles Barkley has.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2004, 11:41:33 AM »
I would not judge Yao based on the S.A. game. The Spurs defense frustrates just about everyone in the League, except T-Mac, apparently. Yao has had his nights, but the one area in which he falters most has been conditioning, including upper body strength. Since it is well-noted, and overall a proven fact, big men sometimes take a while to develop fully once they get to the NBA. Yao still can bring it together. This is only his second season of NBA ball. If he still has limitations in his fourth season, then I would worry.

As for last nights game, I watched most of the game from the second half and I just could not believe the shots Tracy was putting up and getting to go down.  I equally could not believe how boring this game was up to the last two minutes. The damned thing had a 50-49 score with six minutes left in the third quarter!!! While I can admire good defensive teams, I prefer a little topping on my ice cream. This game was a downer for style points, IMO.

The Spurs have nothing to be ashamed of by losing this game. McGrady just had a finish you dream about from grade school - against a quality opponent. The topper for me was that toss up he did when he got fouled. That thing had no business going in, but once it did, I kept my attention glued to my sixty inch Mitsubishi
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2004, 03:58:46 PM »
Both he and Yao could use a little of whatever it is Charles Barkley has.
Why would they need a big mouth and 200 extra pounds?

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2004, 04:35:32 PM »
I would not judge Yao based on the S.A. game. The Spurs defense frustrates just about everyone in the League, except T-Mac, apparently. Yao has had his nights, but the one area in which he falters most has been conditioning, including upper body strength. Since it is well-noted, and overall a proven fact, big men sometimes take a while to develop fully once they get to the NBA. Yao still can bring it together. This is only his second season of NBA ball. If he still has limitations in his fourth season, then I would worry.

As for last nights game, I watched most of the game from the second half and I just could not believe the shots Tracy was putting up and getting to go down.  I equally could not believe how boring this game was up to the last two minutes. The damned thing had a 50-49 score with six minutes left in the third quarter!!! While I can admire good defensive teams, I prefer a little topping on my ice cream. This game was a downer for style points, IMO.

The Spurs have nothing to be ashamed of by losing this game. McGrady just had a finish you dream about from grade school - against a quality opponent. The topper for me was that toss up he did when he got fouled. That thing had no business going in, but once it did, I kept my attention glued to my sixty inch Mitsubishi
3rd season not 2nd.  He's had a fair share of games in the league by now.

guest-koast

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2004, 04:35:50 PM »

As for last nights game, I watched most of the game from the second half and I just could not believe the shots Tracy was putting up and getting to go down.  I equally could not believe how boring this game was up to the last two minutes. The damned thing had a 50-49 score with six minutes left in the third quarter!!! While I can admire good defensive teams, I prefer a little topping on my ice cream. This game was a downer for style points, IMO.

3rd season not 2nd.  He's had a fair share of games in the league by now.
^---thats me