Author Topic: Malik Rose trade not made  (Read 2784 times)

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Malik Rose trade not made
« on: February 20, 2004, 09:25:18 AM »
Buck Harvey: Trade not made: Next for Rose

San Antonio Express-News

CLEVELAND — Gregg Popovich doesn't know it yet. He's still smashing furniture in his hotel room in reaction to the trade that didn't happen.

But he'll need Malik Rose.

Just as he has before.

Popovich will call this rationalization. He's the one in the organization who wanted a divorce from Rose.

It's been San Antonio's version of Shaq-Kobe, and it's never made much sense. After all, Larry Brown, Popovich's buddy, traded for Rasheed Wallace on Thursday with the misguided belief that one Tar Heel can always connect with another.

Popovich? One smart, passionate man can't get along with another, and they've won two championships together.

But friction alone didn't prompt the Spurs to call around the league to see if anyone wanted Rose. His contract inspired them more. Rewarded in the summer of 2002 — partly because he had both Tim Duncan's friendship and agent — Rose has become a salary-cap liability.

Other franchises carry far heavier burdens. If anything, this contract represents just how careful the Spurs have been. This is only the second deal they've ever regretted in this era (Jaren Jackson's was the other), and Mark Cuban eats more at breakfast.

But with an owner who pledges never to go over the cap, the Spurs can't make mistakes. Their trade last summer summed that up, when they took on two players mostly because their contracts will lapse this summer.

It's about freedom, as well as flexibility. The Spurs will not only be able to sign Manu Ginobili this summer, but also pursue other free agents.

Rose is a real roadblock to that. His contract isn't up until 2008, and then he will earn $7.1 million.

That's a lot to pay a sixth man, if Rose were only that. He sits on the bench as a 10th man.

No wonder the Spurs looked around, and no wonder others hesitated to trade for Rose. Other franchises see the contract as a burden, too.

Danny Ainge, searching for anything in Boston, talked about a deal for Rose that would have exchanged an unused player named Chris Mills. Mills isn't in uniform, but his contract is still in play. That's why he was involved in the Rasheed trade.

Mills' contract ends this summer, meaning a trade would have cleaned the Spurs' books. But such a trade would come with obvious negatives, beginning with the likely end to cheesesteaks in the Quarry. Change can be painful, all right.

The Spurs would also have been vulnerable had they lost Rose without a big man coming in return. Robert Horry has played well, but he's older, and an injury would have left the Spurs too thin.

As for other concerns about the frontcourt: As long as the Spurs are worrying about bloated contracts, shouldn't they start with Rasho Nesterovic's?

So the Spurs wanted more than cap cleansing, and they found something in a proposal from Isiah Thomas. Size would have come in return from New York, and Rose's contract would have gone the other way.

This deal made sense; no matter the sentiment in San Antonio for Rose, the Spurs would have been smart to do it. But talks fell apart, thus the prediction of furniture smashing in Popovich's hotel room.

Next summer the Spurs will likely revisit trade talks. For now, Popovich is stuck with Rose.

Rose can frustrate. Horry can do things he cannot do. And Rose doesn't mind an argument; it was here in Cleveland four years ago when he and an angry Avery Johnson slid around on the locker-room floor.

Still, there are six Spurs who are clearly driven, players who find a way, who know how to win. Duncan, Ginobili, Horry, Tony Parker, Bruce Bowen. And Rose.

Rose comes with toughness, as well as a remarkably improved jumper and free-throw percentage. He isn't a fan favorite just for adding onions to Cheez Whiz. He's grown up in San Antonio in many ways, a spiritual tie to the Bruise Brothers of long ago.

He will hang on Shaq, and he will chase Nowitzki. He will do what he did in Toronto on Wednesday night, too, when others were flat.

And if he isn't what Popovich wants?

Rose, as he proved as recently as a season ago, can still be what he needs.

Paul

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 09:44:25 AM »
I understand Pop feeling that Horry has beat out Rose.  However I'm not sure that Pop should have Malik buried so far down the bench.  There are 96 minutes at the pf/c position.  Duncan is going to get 40.  That leaves plenty to spread among Rasho, Horry & Rose....almost 20 per game.  My fear is that Pop will wear Horry down before the playoffs and he will look as bad as he did for the Lakers last year.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 12:50:26 PM »
Just another day for Pop and Rose in paradise!  Pop is crazy -- the Spurs NEED Rose to win another championship -- on a "soft" team they need a hardnosed player (although Bowen is that as well) who will put it all on the line for the squad.  Horry is a VERY smart and crafty ball player -- that's his greatest gift but he is getting old and Pop had better used him in such a way that Horry still has a lot of gas in the tank come playoff time.  However, I think once you get on Pop's bad list, it's really tough to get off it -- and that may come back to bite him.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 01:16:34 PM »
Wow what another bad coaching decision by Pop.  You know us Laker fans love Horry to death but lets be real here.......the guy is up there in age.  With him taking more minutes because of the Rose/Pop beef who knows how much gas he will have come playoff time.  The last 2 years it happend in LA.  He ended up playing more minutes and he wasn't as fresh as he could have been in the playoffs.  Lets not forget he will have to guard players like Chris Webber, Karl Malone, and Dirk.  Throw in the fact that his back isnt in the best shape.  I always thought SA had the crappy mexican dirt weed but I can see now that Pop gets the high grade govt marijuana.  You've got to be very very cheech and chong high to believe this is a good idea.

Wouldnt you want Horry to be as fresh as possible in the playoffs for where he has done plenty of damage previous years with the Lakers and Rockets?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 01:29:30 PM »
Pop, the Lakers HATE to see you in such a funk with Rose and destroying all the furniture in your hotel room, that's expensive.  Since the Lakers hate to see that happening to you (the ulcers, the headaches, etc., etc., etc.), management has decided to take Rose off your hands for a couple of draft picks, okay?  There, don't you feel better now?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 03:58:56 PM »
True dat on wearing out Horry.  Alot of alleged Laker fans couldn't stop kicking Horry when he was down last year.  What those children fail to realize is that Horry shot BETTER than 50% from the field.  HELLO, that's a Shaq stat!!!  Because he shot so poorly from behind the arc people wrote him off.  Horry is still one of the best role players at his position, if Pop doesn't wear him down before the playoff he will teams sorry for double/triple teaming Timmay!

It would be so sweet and poetic for Horry to plung a dagger into the hearts of Laker/Kings fans wearing a Spurs uniform!  I'm only hoping for one of those scenarios.  ;)  
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 04:14:43 PM »
It would be so sweet and poetic for Horry to plung a dagger into the hearts of Laker/Kings fans wearing a Spurs uniform!  I'm only hoping for one of those scenarios.  ;)
So am I.  Horry did it to the Spurs back in 95 as a Rocket.  Did it a few times as a Laker.  Would be so nice to see him do it for the Spurs.

:ph34r:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 04:24:56 PM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2004, 04:44:36 PM »
Here's supposedly what went down according to ESPN Insider:

Rose almost traded: It appears that one more deal "almost" went down before Thursday's trade deadline. According to several sources the Knicks and Spurs had agreed to a Kurt Thomas-for-Malik Rose swap with the Spurs also throwing in a first-round pick. Apparently the teams got all the way to a trade call with the league before the Knicks pulled out at the last second, citing "financial concerns," according to a report in the San Antonio Express-News.

That had to be a killer for the Spurs. Not only would they have moved the unhappy Rose and the remaining five years and $33 million left on his contract. They also would have cleared enough cap room (an extra $5 million) to make a serious run at Kobe Bryant this summer, assuming Thomas opted out of his contract. As it stands now, the team will have enough to re-sign Emmanuel Ginobili and perhaps one more free agent, but they won't have the cash to max anyone out.

What were the Knicks thinking? After Isiah Thomas went out of his way to praise Thomas and talked openly about signing him to an extension, why would he be willing to take back an inferior player with a much nastier contract? It sounds like the Knicks came to their senses just in the nick of time.

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email