Author Topic: Anyone else amazed at the Rockets last trade?  (Read 1700 times)

Guest_Randy

Anyone else amazed at the Rockets last trade?
« on: December 28, 2004, 07:26:34 PM »
Jimmy Jackson (and junk) for David Wesley?  

Min     FG%    3pt%   FT%   Stl    Blk   TO   Reb  Ass    Pts
Wesley        35.9   .389    .350    .882   1.35   0.0   2.1   3.3   4.2   13.9

Jackson       41.3   .417    .367    .909   0.96   0.0   2.3   4.8   3.6   13.3

Jackson has better fg%, better 3 pt%, better ft%, and is only lower in assists.  However, Jackson is one of the Rockets floor leaders, is one of the Rockets best defensive players and is much better player, IMO, than Wesley.  I think that Jackson has been the ONE consistent player in Houston this season -- anyone else find this trade interesting?

Guest_ziggy

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 08:17:46 PM »
Jimmy Jackson (and junk) for David Wesley?  

Min     FG%    3pt%   FT%   Stl    Blk   TO   Reb  Ass    Pts
Wesley        35.9   .389    .350    .882   1.35   0.0   2.1   3.3   4.2   13.9

Jackson       41.3   .417    .367    .909   0.96   0.0   2.3   4.8   3.6   13.3

Jackson has better fg%, better 3 pt%, better ft%, and is only lower in assists.  However, Jackson is one of the Rockets floor leaders, is one of the Rockets best defensive players and is much better player, IMO, than Wesley.  I think that Jackson has been the ONE consistent player in Houston this season -- anyone else find this trade interesting?
Count me as one.  Jackson is a SF and Wesley is a SG.  You give up your starting SF for a backup to your best player?  Doesn't make sense.  Jackson has played better than Wesley this season, and has made a nice career out of being the role guy.  It really doesn't make much sense.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 10:32:40 PM »
It makes sense when you consider T-Mac is moving to SF full time...no wait, Jackson can also play SG...you're right, it doesn't make sense but T-Mac will be the starting SF.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 09:42:26 AM »
Amazed?  I'd use the word "aghast."  One of the most incomprehensible trades I've seen since...well...let's not get into that.

If I'm New Orleans, I'm jumping on this trade in a heartbeat.  I've got an immediate replacement for the player I'm giving up, and a young replacement with some potential for my aging, injured scorer.  What's not to like about the deal?

Best I can figure is that Houston wants to use Wesley to distribute the ball a bit.

Also, Houston made the Tyronn Lue for John Barry deal - another one of those deals that hurts both teams.  Houston needs a point guard in the worst way, and Lue is at least a decent back-up at that spot.  Atlanta needs some stability to their organization - a strong suit of Barry's and a weakness of Lue's.

Houston's only real problem is that they need an honest-to-goodness offense.  "Get the ball to T-Mac or Yao" just doesn't cut it.

Were I ever to hire Jeff Van Gundy as a coach, written into his contract will be that he have a top-notch assistant coach who specializes in offense - like Phil Jackson having Tex Winter.  No top-notch offensive assistant?  Van Gundy is gone.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 09:47:31 AM »
And now JJ's refusing to report to New Orleans.

Can't say I blame him.  If I were at that stage of my career I'd refuse to report as well.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 10:22:28 AM »
Amazed?  I'd use the word "aghast."  One of the most incomprehensible trades I've seen since...well...let's not get into that.

If I'm New Orleans, I'm jumping on this trade in a heartbeat.  I've got an immediate replacement for the player I'm giving up, and a young replacement with some potential for my aging, injured scorer.  What's not to like about the deal?

Best I can figure is that Houston wants to use Wesley to distribute the ball a bit.

Also, Houston made the Tyronn Lue for John Barry deal - another one of those deals that hurts both teams.  Houston needs a point guard in the worst way, and Lue is at least a decent back-up at that spot.  Atlanta needs some stability to their organization - a strong suit of Barry's and a weakness of Lue's.

Houston's only real problem is that they need an honest-to-goodness offense.  "Get the ball to T-Mac or Yao" just doesn't cut it.

Were I ever to hire Jeff Van Gundy as a coach, written into his contract will be that he have a top-notch assistant coach who specializes in offense - like Phil Jackson having Tex Winter.  No top-notch offensive assistant?  Van Gundy is gone.
You can go ahead and say it, Joe, I don't mind.  I've already stated twice that this trade was based on the following:  frustration and the desire to make a statement.  I already know that I accomplished the first -- hopefully I accomplished the second as well.  And I don't really think that I hurt my team much since most of the time those guys were sitting on the bench due to depth -- only time will tell whether that's true or not but I desperately needed rebounding at the center position -- not scoring.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004, 11:56:08 AM »
I feel sorry for Jimmy Jackson and could care less how Houston wants to use Wesley, as they are a lousy organization with a limited coach.

Jackson is the epitome of a down-in-the-trenches player who does the little things that the superstars never seem to want to do, most of the time. What can he do in New Orleans? He is not the scorer he once was, but the support player teams love to have around (other then Houston, apparently).

Joe, you are totally right in your assessment of Houston and Van Gundy. His brother Stan, who got his head coaching chance much later, appears to have a bigger clue on how to run a team with a dominant center and a decent supporting cast.

Jon Barry was glued to the Hawks bench, for some reason, so him getting traded was a boon for him. His biggest problem his entire career is that he at times flies out of control. His best use is as a spark off the bench when the team is playing lethargically. I do not see him as a point guard who will be the answer to the Rocket's current problem of any kind of ball-movement offense.

That will only happen if Van Gundy grows a brain, or they trade him for a bag of peanuts and the monkey holding it.        
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

jn

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 12:26:55 PM »
All this love for JIMMY JACKSON?  "The eptimoe of an in the trenches who does the little things?" "If I'm NO I jump at this trade."

People, people, people.  Are we talking about the same Jimmy Jackson who has had played for 11 teams, shot often and at a low percentage, and has delivered when it mattered exactly once, (Sac)?  The same Jimmy Jackson who was an integral part of the infamously poisonous Dallas locker room of the mid 90's?

Traded or cut loose once, twice, maybe three times you can say maybe he just needs the right spot.  But ELEVEN teams? Has it come to that on this board?  We think were smarter than the combined wisdom of ALL those coaches?  We think a massive underachiever (Jackson) should be the one complaining about a trade while badmouthing David Wesley, well known as chemistry guy who gets the most out his talent?

Do I even know you people?

Guest_Randy

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2004, 01:54:40 PM »
Jimmy Jackson DESERVED the image that he created for himself from the beginning of his career in Dallas -- however, I think the fact that teams didn't want him (when SacTown picked him up for the minimum) humbled the guy into getting his act together.  UNTIL his service in SacTown, no one would give him the time of day but let's look at what he has done SINCE his arrival in SacTown:  been a TEAM guy -- doing whatever it takes to help his team win (come off the bench, play hardnosed defense, knock down shots, steals, etc.).  He did that with SacTown and he has been Houstons most CONSISTENT player -- definately Houston's best defensive player night in and night out.  Wesley doesn't even play much defense.  

From a fan of the TWolves who employ Spree, I'm kind of amazed that you won't look past his problem days to what he has done in the last 3 or 4 years -- because it's night and day, IMO.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2004, 01:59:22 PM »
Yeah, I didn't like him during his (very) brief stint here in Philly, but I've heard nothing but good thinks about him these past 2 years.  I think most of the players in Houston loved him.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2004, 02:10:12 PM »
Really, if he is the same guy who played his heart out and made his teammates at least act like they cared to play defense, as he did when in Sacramento, I would say his past is his past and you can look beyond it now.

Since Van Gundy actually said that Jackson was his most consistent player during the preseason, I do wonder what has changed for the Rockets. His stats look good night in and night out; he has not been heard to complain, at least publically, though knowing him and the Rocket's record, I can guess he was vocal in the locker room.

He has the desire to win, but not the tact to remain silent in the midst of a bad season that was supposed to be better then this, especially with those who don't want to hear about it.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 02:10:39 PM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2004, 02:52:59 PM »
while badmouthing David Wesley, well known as chemistry guy who gets the most out his talent?

...especially on the race track...er...city streets?  Wesley is not without some infamous blots on his resume, either.

I still say I can't understand this deal from the Rockets' side.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

jn

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2004, 04:09:53 PM »
True Joe, but he still hasn't been traded over and over.  

Like I said, when Jackson has been traded THAT many times there simply must be something really wrong.  

As for Van Gundy's comments, well I am shocked, SHOCKED, to think a coach would stoop so low as to pump up a player he is planning to trade.  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2004, 05:19:01 PM »
True Joe, but he still hasn't been traded over and over.  

Like I said, when Jackson has been traded THAT many times there simply must be something really wrong.  

As for Van Gundy's comments, well I am shocked, SHOCKED, to think a coach would stoop so low as to pump up a player he is planning to trade.
You know, jn, for every team that decided to trade Jimmy Jackson, there was another team that wanted to have him. Some players are sought after for what they are perceived to offer - leadership, determination, whatever.

This trade was not done to improve the Rockets, because it won't, but the Hornets sure could use a presence like Jackson on their team.

Which team initiated the trade talks?