Author Topic: Which division of the NBA is toughest?  (Read 1371 times)

Guest_Randy

Which division of the NBA is toughest?
« on: November 30, 2004, 11:18:57 AM »
Candidates:

Northwest:
  Seattle
  Minnesota
  Utah
  Denver
  Portland

Pacific:
  Phoenix
  SacTown
  LA Clippers
  LA Lakers
  Golden State

Southwest:
  San Antonio
  Dallas
  Houston
  Memphis
  New Orleans

Central:
  Indy
  Cleveland
  Detroit
  Milwaukee
  Chicago

Your opinion?  Everyone assumed it was going to be the Southwest this year but so far all 5 teams in the Northwest are over .500 ball.  Do you think that the NW division is the toughest or would you go with the Pacific or Southwest?  Maybe even a few EC fans would choose the Central?  

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 11:55:07 AM »
I thought it would be the SouthWest, but it's the Northwest.  Seattle is looking great, and the "weak" teams are Utah, Denver, and Portland.  That's tough.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 12:19:03 PM »
Candidates:

Northwest:
  Seattle
  Minnesota
  Utah
  Denver
  Portland

Pacific:
  Phoenix
  SacTown
  LA Clippers
  LA Lakers
  Golden State

Southwest:
  San Antonio
  Dallas
  Houston
  Memphis
  New Orleans

Central:
  Indy
  Cleveland
  Detroit
  Milwaukee
  Chicago

Your opinion?  Everyone assumed it was going to be the Southwest this year but so far all 5 teams in the Northwest are over .500 ball.  Do you think that the NW division is the toughest or would you go with the Pacific or Southwest?  Maybe even a few EC fans would choose the Central?
Tough call, so I will try to get there backwards.

No way is it the Pacific, because it includes the Warriors and the Clips.  Two traditionally poor teams make this a weaker division.

The Central is interesting.  Chicago sucks, so that makes it tough top choise, but 2 of the 3 best teams in the East are in this division (at least before the suspensions).  Cleveland is up and coming, and they will probably make the playoffs in the weaker East, but would be shut out in the West.  Milwaukee has some good talent, but they wouldn't make the playoffs in the West either.

Northwest has a potentially terrific team in Minnesota, and the hottest team in the league in Seattle.  All the teams are over .500, so no weak teams in the division.  I know Seattle will fade from it blistering start, and I believe they will end up with around 40 to 43 wins.  I think Portland will probably end up with 41 to 45 wins, same with Utah, Denver maybe a little better than that.  In other words they will have a lot of slightly better than average teams, but only 1 potentially very good team.

Southwest has 2 great teams in Dallas and SA, and a potentially very good team in Houston.  Houston has struggled so far, but in time I believe they will be good, with 48 to 52 wins.  The change from Hubie Brown to Mike Fratello will probably hurt Memphis, but they should still win around 42 to 45 games.  New Orleans is in terrible shape right now, and I think they will struggle to get 20 wins.

So the deepest division is the Northwest, but the best division I believe is the Southwest, though it is very close.  If Seattle gets to 45 wins, and that is all Houston and Memphis can muster, then the Northwest will be the best.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 12:19:43 PM by ziggy »
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 12:37:54 PM »
Northwest, thought it would be Southwest too.  Utah is tough, but they still have not proved they can beat the Spurs.
Paul

jn

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 01:35:53 PM »
I agree with Joe and 101.  I thought it would be the Southwest but only Dallas and SA are living up to expectations.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 03:52:28 PM »
I thought it would be the SouthWest, but it's the Northwest.  Seattle is looking great, and the "weak" teams are Utah, Denver, and Portland.  That's tough.
I agree....funny how that works out.  Cant complain, this season is turning out to be great so far.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com