Author Topic: 76ers Thoughts  (Read 2008 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
76ers Thoughts
« on: October 18, 2004, 11:41:05 AM »
I know this is a Lakers board, but after 3 preseason games I figured I'd give my thoughts on my team, player by player.

Iguodala: Wow.  First, the athlete is simply amazing.  All-around world class athlete.  Incredible jumping ability, fast, and most importantly quick (both hands and feet).  An odd combination of both long (very long arms), and strong.  All these attributes, plus his mentality, have lead him to be in incredible defender.  Has the toughness to harass his man on the perimeter, but also the footspeed to be able to stay in front of his man even when crowding.  Gets his hands on EVERYTHING, and is a terror in transition.  He's going to be a shutdown player in this league eventually.  In fact, he's close now.  I haven't seen this kind of defensive ability come into a league on a perimeter player since a psycho came out of st. john's.  And while he might not have Artest's offensive game coming out of college, I think he has far more ball-skills (ball handling and passing).  Seems to me like he's going to be ron artest's defense with Doug Christie's offense.

Willie Green: The other young guard.  Has played solid defensively, but inconsistent offensively.  0-5 first half followed by a dominating 2nd half has been the norm.  Still, think he'll develop into a solid starter, although inconsistent this year.

GRob: Same GRob you expect.

KT: Hasn't really played enough to get a good look.

Dalembert: Shows flashes of brilliance, and looks much farther along as a basketball payer (he's actually showing some offensive skill).  Still makes mental mistakes, but he's coming along.

McKie: Eh, hard to tell.  Definitely shoiwng his age and not the mckie of 4 years ago.

Kedrick Brown: Wish he would put it all together.  Solid defender, when he has his head in the game.  Solid 3 pt shooer, incredible athleticism.  But doesn't use athleticism in the half court and becomes a stationary 3 pt shooter.

Williamson: As other vets, O'brien hasn't used them very much as of yet, so hard to gauge.  Certainly will give us more than DC would have.

Skinner: Solid.  Nice backup.  Slightly overpaid, but that's the market these days.

Jackson: Looks veyr good.  Very good post scoring option and incredible communicator on defense.  Just hope he stays healthy.  He's already missed one preseason game.

And, of course, AI.  Has looked incredible so far.  Taking high percentage shots and breaking down the defense at will.  Playing the point could either be incredible for him, or hurt him.  It could theoretically raise his shooting efficiency.  He'll have another scoring guard next to him, and he'll have the ball in his hands coming down the court, which could lead to more advantageous scoring positions (RE: not getting the ball with 3 seconds left on the shotclock and being forced to chuck up a 22 footer).  If he stays in attack mode, and puts pressure on the defense, it could be great.  But...having the ball in his hands could also hurt him badly, if he then uses it to take more bad shots.  More good shots will present themselves to him playing the pg position, but more bad shots will as well.  How this transition goes depends on him.

All in all, I'm excited.  Dalembert, Iguodala and Green give me reason to be excited.  It'll be interesting to see who out of Green, Iguodala or McKie win the starting 2 spot.  McKie's said he prefers coming off the bench, and JOB has said that would probably be the best way to use him.  Green had the early lead coming into preseason, but Iguodala might surpass him before the all-star break.a

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
76ers Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 03:02:18 PM »
Who has Philly played so far?  School me on this Iguodala guy.  Havent heard anything about him at all.

You know the thing with AI is that he could make half this team look like they deserve to be all stars.  He has that kind of talent.  If what youve seen in the pre-season stays with AI thru the regular season, the east is going to have trouble with this younger, more athletic Sixers team.

This isn't a Lakers board...its an anti-bush board
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 03:34:35 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
76ers Thoughts
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 03:21:03 PM »
School me on this Iguodala guy. Havent heard anything about him at all.

9th pick in this past draft.
http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/andreiguodala.asp

Andre Iguodala - ESPN
ARIZONA | SOPHOMORE | GUARD
HEIGHT: 6-6¾ | WEIGHT: 217 | AGE: 19
Insider scouting report

The Sixers are very happy to end up with Iguodala. After Luol Deng, Iguodala was the second-highest swingman on their board. The great thing about Iguodala is that he doesn't need to shoot 20 times a night to be effective. That's important to any team that has Allen Iverson on it. I think Iguodala is a steal here. We had him ranked No. 4 on our big board.

-----------------------

ndre Iguodala

SHOOTING GUARD | (6-7, 217) | ARIZONA

Round: 1 | 2
Prospects by: Players | Teams | Schools | Positions

SELECTED BY PHILADELPHIA, ROUND 1, PICK 9, OVERALL PICK 9

Andre Iguodala
Andre Iguodala
Notes: Former Illinois player of the year from Springfield. Originally signed with Arkansas but was released from his national letter-of-intent following the dismissal of then-head coach Nolan Richardson. Has declared for the draft and hired an agent, ending his college eligibility.

Upside: What's the big deal about a two guard averaging just 12.7 ppg? Scouts believe he's a Scottie Pippen-type player who can play multiple positions, handle the ball in most offenses and lock down anyone he has to defend. He already has an NBA body and is an elite athlete. Think Doug Christie with more hops.

Downside: Iguodala struggled to score in college. He didn't have a great perimeter shot, and he isn't a post-up player. Most of his points come in transition or off offensive rebounds. He shot just 30 percent from downtown. Can a shooting guard that can't shoot survive in the league

Insider Projection: Despite the obvious flaw to his game, scouts love him. Several believe that with his passing ability he could turn himself into an unstoppable big NBA point. He's been shooting the ball much better in workouts after spending several months in Chicago working on his form. If he completes that part of his game, he could be really special.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great defense, good rebounder, great ball handler (especially if used as a forward), good creator.  And one thing he's absolutely great at is in transition, both with the ball in his hands and finishing.  I haven't seen someone as good at getting a defensive rebound and pushing it since jason kidd.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
76ers Thoughts
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 03:26:16 PM »
I'd say how did he slip to #9 but when one looks at NBA draft history, including Pippen (Also #9, or a trade from 9 to #7) its no surprise.

Chuck Barkley, John Stockton, etc.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
76ers Thoughts
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 03:30:35 PM »
Recently Shawn Marion, Tracy McGrady, Amare Stoudemire and Dirk Nowitzki all went ninth.

But then again, so did Samaki Walker  :rofl:

I think Chicago (Deng), Dallas (Harris), Toronto (Araujo) and Atlanta (Childress) will all be regretting their pick in time.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
76ers Thoughts
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 03:33:05 PM »
Oh yeah, and just to keep this on topic, George Bush.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
76ers Thoughts
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 04:52:37 PM »
I hope Alan can control his temper this season. He's already been ejected, and the season hasn't even STARTED YET! :crazy:  
Paul

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
76ers Thoughts
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2004, 05:20:52 PM »
I hope Alan can control his temper this season. He's already been ejected, and the season hasn't even STARTED YET! :crazy:
How come we havent heard a pre-season update from Texas?

jn...minny?

NY...whats up with the Knicks?

Ted...Jazz???
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 05:21:35 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com