Author Topic: Christie to miss training camp + more??  (Read 1784 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Christie to miss training camp + more??
« on: September 27, 2004, 12:34:35 PM »
Kings guard Doug Christie, known for his durability as much as his defensive prowess, will miss the team's training camp that starts next week after undergoing treatment on his left foot Friday to ease discomfort from plantar fasciitis.
The 13-year veteran who has missed just three games because of injury or illness in his five Kings seasons, had a 30-minute procedure - called extra corporeal shockwave treatment - performed by Dr. Randall Sarte at Healthsouth Surgery Center in Sacramento.

The treatment consists of placing a large gel pad on the heel that releases pulsed energy.

An All-NBA defensive first-or second-team member in each of the last four seasons, Christie is expected to be sidelined for up to five weeks.

Neither Christie nor anyone from the Kings' front office could be reached for comment following the late afternoon team announcement.

Christie's foot ailed him in May during the Western Conference semifinals against the Minnesota Timberwolves, a series in which he sat out of practices or shootarounds to ease pressure on his foot. Plantar fasciitis is inflammation of the soft tissue that connects the heel bone to the toes. It can be extremely painful.

The condition bothered Kings forward Peja Stojakovic during parts of the 2001-02 and 2002-03 seasons, and it sidelined Minnesota shooter Wally Szczerbiak for 53 games last season.

Said Szczerbiak during last season's playoffs: "Plantar fasciitis, oh man, (it is) the worst. ... The only thing that heals it is rest."

Christie's absence in the exhibition season allows Kings draft choices Kevin Martin and Ricky Minard more opportunities in training camp and games.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jn

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 12:46:34 PM »
Bummer.  It's such a weird injury.  My dad had it last year and it only cleared up when he tore a tendon in a different part of his foot.   Some people bounce back right away and others have it linger for years, ala T-Wolf Michael Williams who was on IR for a couple years then had to retire.  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 01:23:26 PM »
Bummer.  It's such a weird injury.  My dad had it last year and it only cleared up when he tore a tendon in a different part of his foot.   Some people bounce back right away and others have it linger for years, ala T-Wolf Michael Williams who was on IR for a couple years then had to retire.
What's worse is that Christie's strength on the defensive end is the quick foot work he has to stay in front of defenders and to jump into passing lanes.  I

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 10:38:39 AM »

What's worse is that Christie's strength on the defensive end is the quick foot work he has to stay in front of defenders and to jump into passing lanes.  I
And yet, Christie was one of the major contributors for the Kings last year at both ends of the court during the playoffs. This condition first showed up late last season. When Bobby Jackson got hurt, it was Doug who picked up his game by looking for his shot more often, doing some point guard work, and always defending the other team's top scorer.

While it is nice that those rookies are going to get more playing time, Adelman won't be hesitant to yank them quickly, as he does not work well with inexperienced players. Bobby Jackson probably will be getting a few starts at the two, but his strength on the Kings has always been to provide spark off the bench, so probably Martin will start the games.

That should be very interesting. I can not remember the last time the Kings even started a rookie during any regular season game. Don't even think Peja was given a start his rookie year.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Guest_Randy

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 12:09:41 PM »
Doug Christie was the only player, IMO, who willed the Kings in the playoffs -- something that surprised me a great deal.  Bobby Jackson has always been that guy but with him hurt, Christie really played his heart out.  I had always that Bobby Jackson was the heart of this team -- there are many other players in the past who have had that role -- Brian Grant for Portland, Malik Rose for the Spurs (several years ago), Avery Johnson (before Malik), AC Green, and Rambis for the Lakers, etc.  These guys are simply worth soo much more than their contract.

One player that has been OBVIOUS to me -- and I don't know why he has had such a hard time finding a "spot" on the team is Jimmy Jackson.  This guy PROVED himself in SacTown and then they cut him for Anthony Peeler -- then he goes down and proves himself again in Houston.  I'm amazed that more teams (like why couldn't the Lakers take him and then trade away Georgie boy) didn't jump for this guy.  He gives you great work on the floor and is a savvy veteran but his heart is obvious -- he makes a difference on your team.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 12:22:16 PM »
Well, all I can say, Randy, is that this was not always the case with Jackson.

Before he signed with the Kings, he sat by his phone until late November that year, so ANY of the other teams in the League could have signed him. He proved himself to the Kings and the rest of the League with his contributions, and he is still the one player I feel Petrie should have shown the ultimate loyalty to. But the Maloofs were facing that damned luxury tax problem and felt they could not afford him - that he played himself into a better contract then they could give him.

He looks like a hell of a bargain now, doesn't he?

What I liked best about him was his 'don't take any cr*p' attitude., from opponents nor his teammates. He had no problem telling Peja he was playing soft, or Bibby was not distributing the ball, or telling Webber he was being outplayed so what was he going to do about it. He was a coach out on the floor and I have always felt the best teams always have a player coach somewhere on the roster.

That has mostly been true except with the Lakers, who had Phil Jackson, I guess, and did not need anyone else to do it.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Guest_Randy

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2004, 01:11:44 PM »
JoMal,

I'm not so sure that I agree with the assessment of the Maloof's and Jackson -- why I do believe it is true that Jimmy earned a bigger contract, look what he got in Houston -- about the same money?  You don't think he would have just stayed and played with SacTown for the same money?  And then they pick up Peeler for about the same money that I think Jackson was willing to play for?  I don't know, JoMal, there is something about this that never seemed quite right.  Maybe Jackson has a stigma -- I know he did in his early years, one that was well earned, IMO, but IMO, he has worked that stigma off.  Sure wish the Lakers would have picked him up!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2004, 01:29:36 PM »
The Jackon deal sounds alot like the Vlade deal.  They "couldn't afford" him yet went out and signed another player with less talent for the same amount of money.  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2004, 02:28:06 PM »
Maybe there is something to all that, but Vlade's conditioning and age were clearly factored in the decision not to resign him, though they should have asked Peja what he thought about that first. As for Jackson, it could not have been anything about his image or outspokenness - I heard nothing but raves about him from the Maloofs on down, and he also expressed a desire to return to the Kings the next season. I also have heard that the Maloofs and Petrie all have said they kind of wish they had resigned him now.

I do believe that the Maloofs felt the luxury tax was going to hit them hard. They assumed that Jackson would require a larger contract then they wanted to pay, and that Jackson deserved to sign for as much as he could get, which was for three years and over 7 million. Peeler signed for 1.6 million for one year.  

I don't know. In hindsight, the Maloofs probably regret not resigning him. They could have gotten him for less money then for what Houston signed him for, but at the time, I remember one of the Maloof's saying that Jackson deserved to get as much as he could, but they could not pay him as much as he was worth.

I don't even think there WAS a luxury tax paid out that year, was there?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2004, 05:07:29 PM »
Maybe there is something to all that, but Vlade's conditioning and age were clearly factored in the decision not to resign him, though they should have asked Peja what he thought about that first. As for Jackson, it could not have been anything about his image or outspokenness - I heard nothing but raves about him from the Maloofs on down, and he also expressed a desire to return to the Kings the next season. I also have heard that the Maloofs and Petrie all have said they kind of wish they had resigned him now.

I do believe that the Maloofs felt the luxury tax was going to hit them hard. They assumed that Jackson would require a larger contract then they wanted to pay, and that Jackson deserved to sign for as much as he could get, which was for three years and over 7 million. Peeler signed for 1.6 million for one year.  

I don't know. In hindsight, the Maloofs probably regret not resigning him. They could have gotten him for less money then for what Houston signed him for, but at the time, I remember one of the Maloof's saying that Jackson deserved to get as much as he could, but they could not pay him as much as he was worth.

I don't even think there WAS a luxury tax paid out that year, was there?
I'm sure Divac's age and conditioning may have gave them an idea to dump him off  in the first place.  However, I find it a little funny they signed Ostertag who is almost as old, just as slow, and twice as dumb.   I swear I thought I was watching the game in slow-motion  when I was at Staples Center when the Jazz came to town.  The guy is the last person to make it back to the otherside of the court after he shoots his freethrows.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2004, 05:22:08 PM »
Ah, yes. Ostertag instead of Divac, and for about the same money.

Except for the unfortunate fact that Divac is now hurt.......no... I still would prefer Divac on the IR to Ostagtag as any time.