Author Topic: nba power rankings for offseason  (Read 2134 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
nba power rankings for offseason
« on: September 27, 2004, 08:06:44 AM »
NBA Power Rankings
By InsideHoops.com
NBA power rankings, rating the entire league, top to bottom. We'll update again before the start of training camps.

Updated Sept. 26, 2004. Record is final 2003-04 regular season.

1) Detroit Pistons (54-28) - The champs have to be considered the team to beat, especially since they got better in the offseason.

2) San Antonio Spurs (57-25) - Pretty much the same team, plus Brent Barry.

3) Minnesota Timberwolves (58-24) - Loaded from top to bottom. If it doesn't happen for Latrell Sprewell this season it may never happen. And Sam Cassell isn't getting any younger, either.

4) Sacramento Kings (55-27) - The Kings aren't deep like they used to be. Also, Peja Stojakovic and Chris Webber are big question marks when it comes to carrying their squad through the playoffs.

5) Indiana Pacers (61-21) - Getting rid of Al Harrington hurts depth a little, but the Pacers feel Stephen Jackson is a replacement for the 92-year-old Reggie Miller. Better point guard play would help.

6) Denver Nuggets (43-39) - Added Kenyon Martin for draft picks. No slump for Carmelo Anthony - he'll be on a mission. The Nuggets are loaded with talent, though an upgrade at shooting guard would be nice.

7) Miami Heat (42-40) - Shaquille O'Neal is in his best shape in years. That spells domination in the East. Dwyane Wade and Eddie Jones should have a lot of open jumpers. The Heat still have no forwards, though. Forwards are often useful. Good teams often have forwards. Get some.

8) Houston Rockets (45-37) - Tracy McGrady with Yao Ming equals trouble for the entire league.
9) Dallas Mavericks (52-30) - Steve Nash may be gone, but the roster is still loaded. Erick Dampier adds some interior defense, which InsideHoops.com predicts could actually frighten other Mavs players who have never seen such a thing and may not know how to react.

10) Memphis Grizzlies (50-32) - One of InsideHoops.com's favorite teams to watch. Beautiful basketball. The Grizzlies added Brian Cardinal, which is nice, but they'll have to work very hard to match last season's impressive output.

11) Los Angeles Lakers (56-26) - Kobe Bryant, Lamar Odom and Caron Butler have the ability to carry this squad to a decent win total.

12) Utah Jazz (42-40) - Jerry Sloan's squad overachieved last season thanks to Andrei Kirilenko and scrappy role players. Now they've added Carlos Boozer, woh helps a lot. A healthy Matt Harpring and additions like Mehmet Okur and rookies Kris Humphries and Kirk Snyder will help.

13) Portland Trail Blazers (41-41) - A talented team that on paper should be able to compete with anyone, provided they avoid getting arrested (sorry, hate to keep rehashing this joke, but it unfortunately keeps proving true).

14) Phoenix Suns (29-53) - Added Steve Nash and Quentin Richardson to play alongside Shawn Marion and Amare Stoudemire. Major firepower here. They will score a lot.

15) New Orleans Hornets (41-41) - The Hornets are always good but never great. Should drop off a bit now that they've been moved to the Western conference. Making the playoffs isn't a sure thing.

16) Milwaukee Bucks (41-41) - A solid mix of players. If T.J. Ford returns it'll help a lot.

17) New York Knicks (39-43) - Stephon Marbury and Jamal Crawford would make a sweet streetball team, but the NBA may be another story. Allan Houston is still healing. Tim Thomas needs to raise his game. Mike Sweetney, amazingly enough, could be the most key player on the team as far as winning more games is concerned. The Knicks hope for big things from Sweetney.

18) Orlando Magic (21-61) - The McGrady experiment is over. Now it's the Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley show, with help from Dwight Howard. The Magic will fast break a lot, so that'll be fun. Grant Hill is returning, though it's not likely that he'll ever regain his all-star form of old.

19) Boston Celtics (36-46) - The Celtics added great rookies who, along with Paul Piece and Mark Blount, could make this a not-too-lousy team.

20) Cleveland Cavaliers (35-47) - Lost Carlos Boozer, which hurts in a big way. Adding the solid Eric Snow and the unpolished Drew Gooden slightly eases the pain. Jeff McInnis is underrated. Zydrunas Ilgauskas has his limitations, but in the world of centers he's good. LeBron James is good enough to carry this entire squad over the five teams we list above.

21) Toronto Raptors (33-49) - Vince Carter wants out, but forgetting about that for a minute, doesn't Rafer Alston, Carter, Jalen Rose, Donyell Marshall and Chris Bosh add up to some wins? Shouldn't they rack up some victories?

22) Philadelphia 76ers (33-49) - Allen Iverson's going to play point guard. That should be interesting. Rookie Andre Iguodala is athletic and versatile. You'll see him on highlight reels, at least. Hopefully Glenn Robinson returns strong and makes everyone fear the big dog again.

23) Seattle Sonics (37-45) - It's still the Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis show, which isn't enough to make the playoffs in the West. At least Nick Collison will finally play.

24) New Jersey Nets (47-35) - They got rid of Kenyon Martin and Kerry Kittles, and Jason Kidd could miss a month or so of the season while his knees heal. And there's no guarantee he fully recovers. With that said, this squad could fall hard in a big way. With no Kidd the Nets are Richard Jefferson plus hot dog venders. (No offense to hot dog venders. I'm sure some of you can ball.)

25) Washington Wizards (25-57) - On paper, Gilbert Arenas, Larry Hughes, Antawn Jamison and Kwame Brown are a pretty decent East squad. But because they're the Wizards we simply cannot give them the benefit of the doubt, so for now they stay ranked down here.

26) Chicago Bulls (23-59) - InsideHoops.com loves Ben Gordon. Kirk Hinrich is the best returning player. Eddy Curry can put up some points. Tyson Chandler tries, at least. And rookie Luol Deng should be decent. But everything else is pretty iffy.

27) Los Angeles Clippers (28-54) - They're the Clippers. I mean, sorry, but whatever. We love Elton Brand, and Corey Maggette is cool, but every year the team disappoints. At least it'll be fun to see how good Shaun Livingston does.

28) Golden State Warriors (37-45) - Warriors fans should storm the team's offices, take over, and control roster moves from now on. No one at InsideHoops.com knows what Golden State management is doing. But that's ok, because Golden State management doesn't know, either. They seem to be trying to build a team that will just narrowly miss the playoffs for the next 19 years.

29) Atlanta Hawks (28-54) - The only guy that seems willing to play for the Hawks is InsideHoops.com editor Jeff Lenchiner. But seriously, Antoine Walker and Al Harrington could help this team make real noise in the East. But because they're the Hawks, we simply cannot give them the benefit of the doubt right now.

30) Charlotte Bobcats (0-0) - Could be the first team in NBA history to win five games or less. But they should have lots of good guest hip-hop stars to handle the halftime entertainment.

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 08:44:38 AM »
Okay, a couple of questions:

1)  How did Detroit really make themselves that much better?  By adding McDyess?  PLEASE . . . . .  That's like saying that Philly has had depth because they had Todd McCullough sitting on the bench -- or that Detroit is dangerous because it had TMac and Hill. They ARE the champs until they get beat -- they play great team ball and great defense but their offense is incredibly suspect and while McDyess could help with that IF her were healthy, let's just say we can bank on the fact that he WON'T help!

2)  Spurs -- same team plus Brent Barry?  I guess people haven't seen enough of Brent Barry.  Barry helps fortify the few weaknesses this team has -- great passing and great outside shooting.  This is a HUGE pickup for SA and he is EXACTLY what the Spurs needed.  Spurs should be #1, IMO, just because of that pickup (of course, along with their present squad).  Barry is also a great defender and can run the offense.  

3) TWolves still need an inside game -- VERY evident in the playoffs.  This team could be the best candidate, IMO, for Malone -- they would benefit tremendously from his talents and abilities.  

4)  The Kings are going to be a HUGE questionmark, IMO, until it becomes apparent that Peja and CWebb can play on the floor at the same time.  If they can't, and we certainly didn't see anything last year that showed that they can, then the Kings are going to have to pull the trigger and trade the best shooter in the league.  I'm betting they need to pull the trigger.

7)  Okay, I think that Shaq is in great shape and motivated and I realize that he is in the Eastern Conference and Miami's conference is pretty bad but Shaq has ZERO surrounding cast to help him.  I'm a big fan of EJ, who should have a great year shooting from the outside with the looks he will get but they are moving Dwayne Wade, a scorer not a passer, to PG and they are hoping, I assume, that Wade will develop himself as a shooter?  I think it's apparent from last year and the Olympics that Wade is a great scorer but as a shooter, he fails the test.  Miami also has NOTHING in the SF and PF positions and unless they can upgrade at those positions, I just don't see how you take Shaq, EJ and Wade and make them the 7th best team in the league.

8)  I'm not sure that I don't see the Rockets being further up this list.  I certainly think they have as good a shot as the Nuggets -- I really think they are going to battle with the Kings for that third spot in the West.  I think that JVG will challenge TMac to play defense (something that he CAN do) and the only suspect spot for this team is the PG position.

9)  Umm, I don't see Dallas doing this well this year -- they still have a strong young core but I don't think that Dampier is the salvation that the Mavs have been hoping for in the middle.  I wouldn't consider him a "banger" -- something the Mavs need OR an "enforcer" -- the other thing they need.  I think it becomes VERY apparent that this team was propelled by Steve Nash and they don't even have a replacement PG.  Look for Dallas to try and make a trade -- esp. for a player with a huge contract like NVE.

12)  I think that this power ranking is underrating the talent that Utah has added and the abilities of Jerry Sloan to coach.  How many of us (esp. me) have stated year after year the fact that this was the year that Utah would settle to the bottom of the league -- only for Sloan to make players like Matt Harpring look like a all-star.  I don't think I would put a team with this much talent coached by Jerry Sloan under Dallas.

14)  Where's Phoenix?  Phoenix made some upgrades, notably Nash, that I think will really help them this season.  Nash, Marion and Stoudamire are three young players to watch.  I think they will do as well as Dallas -- perhaps better.

jn

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 09:31:45 AM »
Personally I think the Grizz should have been higher.  The addition of T-Mac is exciting and yes the Nuggets were a pleasant surprise but the Grizz won 50 games.  The Rockets will still need to learn to play TEAM ball.   For all the excitement about the Nuggets it should be remembered that the Nuggets backed into the playoffs with a losing record down the stretch and lost 4-1 in the opening round.  Yes they got under the Wolves skin but that doesn't mean they should move that high in the rankings.  If the Wolves had kept their cool would anyone care as much about the Nuggets?  

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2004, 09:32:55 AM »
Miami will come out of the East, not the Pistons.  
Paul

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2004, 09:51:03 AM »
As much as I agree the Spurs are the better defensive team (and now offensive with Manu, Barry, Parker, and Duncan) the Pistons are the defending champs.  The road to the title goes thru Detroit until they are knocked out.  So I feel the Pistons should be #1 for that reason.  Spurs fans remember when you guys were mad that some sportscasters were rating the Lakers higher because of their squad even tho the Spurs won the title the year before?  Same deal.

Couple o' comments......

Miami wont make it out of the east.  Sure they will take that super tough division they are in :rolleyes: but just Shaq in the middle is not going to beat Detroit and will have trouble with Indy.  Really no one is taking into mind how much harder Shaq is going to work because there is no player like Kobe on the outside that demands that kind of attention.  Whether his ego will let him admit it or not, Kobe did help Shaq out just like Shaq helped Kobe out.  Maybe one moreso than the other but they did benefit from each other.  10 times out of 10 I rather see Wade, EJ, and the likes shoot jumpers in the playoffs than see Shaq get it down low.  Could the same be said about Kobe over the past 5 years in the playoffs?  Honestly are any of those guys able to take over a playoff game like Kobe did against the Spurs, Pacers, Wolves, Rockets, and Kings in recent years?  Shaq literally is going to have to dominate every single playoff game like its 2000.

Nuggets higher than Miami, Indy, Rockets and Grizz?  Miami and Houston both have very good big men.  The Grizz play better team ball and Indy is the second best team in their confrence.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2004, 09:55:24 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2004, 10:06:31 AM »
So I feel the Pistons should be #1 for that reason.  Spurs fans remember when you guys were mad that some sportscasters were rating the Lakers higher because of their squad even tho the Spurs won the title the year before?  Same deal.

Actually it is a Laker fan who complained.  I agree that the defending champ should always be considered #1 except in very unusual situations (Chicago circa 1999).

Couple of comments:

I would rank Indiana #4 ahead of the Kings.  Best record in league last year and no significant changes in roster.  Kings are potentially facing a divided locker room which can be a very big factor.

I would also put Dallas & Memphis (and maybe Utah) ahead of Denver, Houston, & Miami.  

Denver IMO is going to be surprised how much different K-Mart looks in the west without a up tempo point guard.  

Houston still needs a point guard and depth at the swing positions.  Also TMAc & Yao will need time to learn each other's games.  

Miami has had too much roster change....this ranking is given solely on Shaq and I would guess that this isn't the same Shaq as 3-4 years ago.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2004, 10:14:07 AM »
As much as I agree the Spurs are the better defensive team (and now offensive with Manu, Barry, Parker, and Duncan) the Pistons are the defending champs.  The road to the title goes thru Detroit until they are knocked out.  So I feel the Pistons should be #1 for that reason.  Spurs fans remember when you guys were mad that some sportscasters were rating the Lakers higher because of their squad even tho the Spurs won the title the year before?  Same deal.

Couple o' comments......

Miami wont make it out of the east.  Sure they will take that super tough division they are in :rolleyes: but just Shaq in the middle is not going to beat Detroit and will have trouble with Indy.  Really no one is taking into mind how much harder Shaq is going to work because there is no player like Kobe on the outside that demands that kind of attention.  Whether his ego will let him admit it or not, Kobe did help Shaq out just like Shaq helped Kobe out.  Maybe one moreso than the other but they did benefit from each other.  10 times out of 10 I rather see Wade, EJ, and the likes shoot jumpers in the playoffs than see Shaq get it down low.  Could the same be said about Kobe over the past 5 years in the playoffs?  Honestly are any of those guys able to take over a playoff game like Kobe did against the Spurs, Pacers, Wolves, Rockets, and Kings in recent years?  Shaq literally is going to have to dominate every single playoff game like its 2000.

Nuggets higher than Miami, Indy, Rockets and Grizz?  Miami and Houston both have very good big men.  The Grizz play better team ball and Indy is the second best team in their confrence.
yeah coast but that was different back then, this is detroit after all, Spurs should have been ranked 1 during those past seasons as well......

ok j/k

:crazy:  :rofl:  :alcohol:

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2004, 03:30:00 PM »
As much as I agree the Spurs are the better defensive team (and now offensive with Manu, Barry, Parker, and Duncan) the Pistons are the defending champs.  The road to the title goes thru Detroit until they are knocked out.  So I feel the Pistons should be #1 for that reason.  Spurs fans remember when you guys were mad that some sportscasters were rating the Lakers higher because of their squad even tho the Spurs won the title the year before?  Same deal.

Couple o' comments......

Miami wont make it out of the east.  Sure they will take that super tough division they are in :rolleyes: but just Shaq in the middle is not going to beat Detroit and will have trouble with Indy.  Really no one is taking into mind how much harder Shaq is going to work because there is no player like Kobe on the outside that demands that kind of attention.  Whether his ego will let him admit it or not, Kobe did help Shaq out just like Shaq helped Kobe out.  Maybe one moreso than the other but they did benefit from each other.  10 times out of 10 I rather see Wade, EJ, and the likes shoot jumpers in the playoffs than see Shaq get it down low.  Could the same be said about Kobe over the past 5 years in the playoffs?  Honestly are any of those guys able to take over a playoff game like Kobe did against the Spurs, Pacers, Wolves, Rockets, and Kings in recent years?  Shaq literally is going to have to dominate every single playoff game like its 2000.

Nuggets higher than Miami, Indy, Rockets and Grizz?  Miami and Houston both have very good big men.  The Grizz play better team ball and Indy is the second best team in their confrence.
yeah coast but that was different back then, this is detroit after all, Spurs should have been ranked 1 during those past seasons as well......

ok j/k

:crazy:  :rofl:  :alcohol:
True...I mean this is Detroit and I don't think they added any new refs to their roster from last year so maybe you are right.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2004, 04:19:51 PM »
Mike Kahn of CBS/Sportsline has this ranking:

Here's the latest look at how we see the teams stack up in the last week of July:

POWER RANKINGS
Current Team Previous
1 Detroit Pistons 3
The defending champs have a chance to be even better with a full season of Rasheed Wallace and the addition of Antonio McDyess.
2 San Antonio Spurs 1
Nobody gains more from the movement of O'Neal than the Spurs, not to mention the addition of multi-skilled Brent Barry.
3 Minnesota Timberwolves 2
Going six games into the 2004 conference finals with MVP Kevin Garnett was ground-breaking. Can they take the next step?
4 Sacramento Kings 6
Letting Vlade Divac go in favor of Greg Ostertag could hurt, but if they finally stay healthy, they could win the West.
5 Indiana Pacers 4
By dealing Al Harrington for Stephen Jackson, they helped the backcourt and hurt the frontcourt. It will be interesting.
6 Houston Rockets 11
Tracy McGrady joins forces with Yao Ming, but they still need a point guard and some help at power forward.
7 Miami Heat 12
Adding O'Neal changes the face of the entire league, but nowhere more than where he landed. They need more. Is Karl Malone coming?
8 Denver Nuggets 9
Adding Kenyon Martin to Marcus Camby, Nene and Carmelo Anthony has them loaded up front. Does 'Melo slide back to guard?
9 Memphis Grizzlies 7
Last year's surprise with 50 victories, they added free-agent forward Brian Cardinal. Without anything else, can they do 50 again?
10 Dallas Mavericks 8
Losing Steve Nash to free agency while retaining other high-priced players hurts. More deals have to come.
11 Los Angeles Lakers 5
Now we'll see how far Kobe Bryant can carry this team without his Big Bro', Shaq. Lamar Odom really is the key.
12 Utah Jazz 13
Adding Okur, Boozer, Snyder and Humphries make the Jazz the big offseason winner so far. Sloan deserved this big play.
13 Portland Trail Blazers 14
They still need to make a move with Shareef Abdur-Rahim, but adding Nick Van Exel gives them quality depth.
14 Philadelphia 76ers 23
Hiring Jim O'Brien as coach and moving Allen Iverson to point guard makes them infinitely more interesting.
15 Milwaukee Bucks 15
They need young T.J. Ford healthy and with blossoming Michael Redd, coach Terry Porter has them on the right track.
16 New York Knicks 16
Team president Isiah Thomas has been trying to acquire athletes to no avail, with Jamal Crawford the present focus.
17 New Orleans Hornets 18
OK, Byron Scott is the coach, but it still doesn't resolve what's up with Jamal Mashburn. In fact, what is up?
18 New Jersey Nets 10
Having unloaded Kenyon Martin for draft picks and getting shut down trying to get Abdur-Rahim, do they trade Jason Kidd?
19 Boston Celtics 20
Danny Ainge keeps adding athletic players, and they surprised a lot of people keeping Mark Blount. They should be better.
20 Phoenix Suns 22
Lots of exceptional young talent, they need a good start to avoid a repeat of last season's disastrous loss of confidence.
21 Cleveland Cavaliers 19
The stunning loss of Boozer has been masked briefly with Eric Snow and Drew Gooden. They're still a playoff contender.
22 Seattle SuperSonics 21
They lost a lot of glue in the backcourt with Barry's exit, and they still lack a significant inside presence.
23 Toronto Raptors 25
They overpaid Rafer Alston, but they needed a point guard. More important is the constant upheaval that has Vince Carter wanting out.
24 Washington Wizards 27
They are loaded with young talent, and Antawn Jamison was a great move. Can they make the playoffs?
25 Golden State Warriors 17
Chris Mullin stunned the basketball world hiring Stanford's Mike Montgomery. Are they doomed to the lottery for the 11th year running?
26 Los Angeles Clippers 26
Yes, they made a valiant attempt to sign Bryant, but does that really matter? They need to keep Quentin Richardson.
27 Orlando Magic 29
John Weisbrod has rebuilt this team for Johnny Davis with teen prodigy Dwight Howard and Steve Francis. Will it work?
28 Chicago Bulls 28
The whole world is waiting for John Paxson to begin the dismantling again. Crawford's exit will start the process.
29 Atlanta Hawks 24
The Hawks are this year's example of the "cap room fallacy." They have plenty of cap space and no players. What's the point?
30 Charlotte Bobcats 30
Bernie Bickerstaff got off to a great start by drafting Emeka Okafor; now he has to put players around him to win occasionally.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues