Author Topic: Stockton to have number retired in Utah  (Read 2427 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Stockton to have number retired in Utah
« on: September 22, 2004, 10:39:48 AM »
Salt Lake City, UT  â€“ The Utah Jazz announced today that the team will retire John Stockton’s number 12 on November 22, 2004 vs. the New Orleans Hornets

"We are excited to honor John in this special way.  After spending his entire 19 year career with the franchise, John's incredible athleticism deserves to be memorialized,” said Jazz Owner, Larry H. Miller.  â€œWe look forward to hosting him and his family on November 22nd, the evening will certainly be memorable"

Stockton’s the NBA’s all-time leader in assists (15,806) and steals (3265) and named as one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA history, spent his entire 19-year career with the Jazz playing in 1,504 games.  He was selected by Utah in the first round of the 1984 NBA Draft (16th pick overall) and retired following the 2002-03 season.

During his illustrious career, the future Hall-of-Famer, was named to the All-NBA First Team two times (1993-94, 1994-95), the All-NBA Second Team six times and the All-NBA Third team three times.  He was selected to play in 10 NBA All-Star Games and selected as co-MVP along with Karl Malone in 1993 in the Game played at the Delta Center.  

He was a member of the original “Dream Team” that won the Gold Medal during the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona, Spain and played on the 1996 Olympic Team that won the Gold Medal in Atlanta.  

Stockton holds the NBA record for most seasons leading the league in assists (nine, 1987-88 through 1995-96), the most consecutive seasons leading the league (nine), the most assists in a single season (1,164 in 1990-91) and the highest single season assists-per-game average (14.5 in 1990-91).  He accounted for seven of the nine seasons of 1,000 assists in league history.   He served up a career-high 28 assists, the third highest total in league history vs. San Antonio on January 15, 1991 and set the NBA record for most assists by a visiting players with 27 at New York on December 12, 1989.

He played in 1,504 of a possible 1,526 games during his career (.986%), to rank third on the NBA’s all-time games played list (Robert Parish, 16,111 and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, 1,560) and played in every game in 17 of his 19 seasons.  

Stockton appeared in the NBA playoffs in all 19 seasons and played in 182 of the 193 post-season games in Jazz history.  He ranks first in NBA history for most consecutive seasons in the playoffs and for most appearances.  He shares the NBA’s single game playoff record for most assists in a game with 24 (Magic Johnson) vs. the Los Angeles Lakers on May 17, 1998.

His number will be the sixth number retired in Jazz history, following Pete Maravich (7), Frank Layden (1), Darrell Griffith (35), Mark Eaton (53) and Jeff Hornacek (14).

John and his wife Nada are the parents of six children, Houston, Michael, David, Lindsay, Lauren and Samuel and they make their home in Spokane, Washington.

Tickets for the November 22 game against the Hornets will go on sale on Saturday, October 16, at all Jazz ticket outlets including the Delta Center box office and utahjazz.com.

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jn

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 10:53:41 AM »
Is it just me or does retiring the numbers of Eaton, Hornacek and Dr. Dunkenstein seem a bit excessive?  Good players all but not, IMHO, worthy of such an honor.

Props to Stockton.  Put him on the 2008 Olympic squad!!

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 11:14:29 AM »
Instead of retiring his jersey...they should retire his shorts!
Paul

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 11:15:18 AM »
Is it just me or does retiring the numbers of Eaton, Hornacek and Dr. Dunkenstein seem a bit excessive?  Good players all but not, IMHO, worthy of such an honor.

The Jazz do things a little differently. I didn't think that Hornacek or Griffith really warranted their recognition. Eaton, IMO, is borderline because he was pretty much the preeminent defensive force during his time, which was a pretty good string of years. IMO, if the Jazz had Eaton in 96-98, they win some championships.

Anyway, Larry H. Miller honors players that he likes and that the fans like. Hornacek embodied everything that Miller likes in his players, and Horny was beloved by fans for his toughness and effort.

I think you can fairly make this comparison: was Byron Scott better for Showtime than Horny was for the Jazz? I definitely think so. But no one's even mentioning his number for retirement. Adrian Dantley put up more than 30 points per game for years here, and his number isn't up there--and the only reason for that is his feud with Frank Layden, who is supplanted only by Jerry Sloan in Larry H. Miller's heart. (Miller has mentioned recently that the Jazz need to reconcile with AD)

Anyway, it's not just about how good you were for the Jazz, it's a lot about how much we liked you while you were here. Funny way to do it I guess.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 11:18:12 AM »
Since you mentioned the Olympics, has anyone else heard the rumors that USA Basketball is looking at Jerry Sloan for the next Olympics.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 11:18:40 AM »
Instead of retiring his jersey...they should retire his shorts!
why dont they just stuff and mount him?? :rofl:

no, John really deserves to have his jersey retired, nice to see him get his due.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 11:22:35 AM »
Is it just me or does retiring the numbers of Eaton, Hornacek and Dr. Dunkenstein seem a bit excessive?  Good players all but not, IMHO, worthy of such an honor.

Props to Stockton.  Put him on the 2008 Olympic squad!!
The Jazz do things a little differently. I didn't think that Hornacek or Griffith really warranted their recognition. Eaton, IMO, is borderline because he was pretty much the preeminent defensive force during his time, which was a pretty good string of years. IMO, if the Jazz had Eaton in 96-98, they win some championships.

Anyway, Larry H. Miller honors players that he likes and that the fans like. Hornacek embodied everything that Miller likes in his players, and Horny was beloved by fans for his toughness and effort.

I think you can fairly make this comparison: was Byron Scott better for Showtime than Horny was for the Jazz? I definitely think so. But no one's even mentioning his number for retirement. Adrian Dantley put up more than 30 points per game for years here, and his number isn't up there--and the only reason for that is his feud with Frank Layden, who is supplanted only by Jerry Sloan in Larry H. Miller's heart. (Miller has mentioned recently that the Jazz need to reconcile with AD)

Anyway, it's not just about how good you were for the Jazz, it's a lot about how much we liked you while you were here. Funny way to do it I guess.
Not a funny way.  Sounds like the real way.  The jersey's are retired to show respect to the player and to have the fans remember what that player did for the team when they were on the floor.  Stats and all that aside if the player touched the fans of the team when they were suited up then IMO they deserve to have their number retired.  If it was up to me the Lakers would have half of Staples covered in retired jerseys from players who us fans loved.

Plus when you see uniforms like Pistol Pete, Horny, and Stockton it reminds everyone about the history of the team and the good players that have been apart of the organization.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 11:24:01 AM by westkoast »

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2004, 11:24:43 AM »
Is it just me or does retiring the numbers of Eaton, Hornacek and Dr. Dunkenstein seem a bit excessive?  Good players all but not, IMHO, worthy of such an honor.

Not a funny way.  Sounds like the real way.  The jersey's are retired to show respect to the player and to have the fans remember what that player did for the team when they were on the floor.  Stats and all that aside if the player touched the fans of the team when they were suited up then IMO they deserve to have their number retired.  If it was up to me the Lakers would have half of Staples covered in retired jerseys from players who us fans loved.

Plus when you see uniforms like Pistol Pete, Horny, and Stockton it reminds everyone about the history of the team and the good players that have been apart of the organization.
so in your world Mad dog Madsen would be in the rafters.....ok maybe not... :alcohol:  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2004, 11:38:56 AM »

so in your world Mad dog Madsen would be in the rafters.....ok maybe not... :alcohol:
In that same twisted world you would also see....

Samaki Walker
Penberthy
Kupchek (we are gonna retire his GM suit cuz hes the bestest)
Richmond for his huge contribution off the bench in the 2002 playoffs
Sam Perkins
Doug Christie

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2004, 11:41:26 AM »

Portland did the same thing.  They retired Lloyd Neil, Dave Twardzick, and Larry Steele's numbers.  By that logic then obviously Kevin Duckworth, Rod Strickland, JR Rider, Chris Dudley, and Brian Grant should all get their numbers retired.  Heaven forbid!!  I am all for acknowledging their contributions, and giving them a nice pat on the back, but retiring their numbers is a bit much.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2004, 12:48:16 PM »

Samaki Walker
Penberthy
Sam Perkins
Doug Christie
not even in my WORST imaginary world would Samaki Walker have his jersey lifted to the rafters... :puke:  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2004, 04:08:40 PM »

Samaki Walker
Penberthy
Sam Perkins
Doug Christie
not even in my WORST imaginary world would Samaki Walker have his jersey lifted to the rafters... :puke:
Why not?  Its it honor to have the streakest PF in the history of the game wear the purple and gold.  Plus he bumped up the number of DUI's the team has.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2004, 08:31:49 AM »
Of course the Jazz need to retire John Stockton's number -- this guy is the leading assist man in the NBA record books (although Magic is still the best passer the game has ever seen).  

However, let me say that Hornicek is one of my FAVORITE players to ever play the game and I think he was HIGHLY underrated -- but the Jazz KNOW that they wouldn't have EVER gotten to the NBA Finals ANY of those years without Horny playing on the wing.  The guy was an incredible shooter, a underrated passer and even though he was probably the worst athlete on the floor at any one time (which is saying a lot on a team with John Stockton) the guy still managed to play solid defense and stay with his man.  His off-balance tear drop shot down the lane is still one of the most devastating moves he ever had.  This guy could simply light it up.  I think Horny was HUGE for the Jazz and I'm glad they are retiring his number.  This guy NEVER got the acolades that lesser players have but he played a better game than most recognized.  In a media world that features spectacular dunks and flashy passes (even when they don't connect), Horny isn't going to get attention -- but those who love the fundamentals of basketball will always cherish Horny's game (okay, the fundamentals of basketball don't include moving screens and grabbing jerseys on picks -- but when you play with John Stockton and Karl Malone, you do pick up some nasty habits).

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2004, 10:17:52 AM »
First of all, I believe the way the Jazz are retiring numbers is the correct way to do it.

It makes me sick every time I look at a Laker game, and see Kareem Rush wearing Michael Cooper's 21.  Was Cooper a top-level star?  No.  But he was a critical piece of that Laker team, and deserves his number retired.  Some may point to Byron Scott, but COOPER was with all of those Laker teams, whereas Scott wasn't.

Hornacek DEFINITELY deserves to have his number retired.  The Jazz didn't rise to an elite level until he arrived, and their big drop-off occurred when he left.

And if it's too much to "retire" the jersey, then perhaps teams should take an(other) example from the North Carolina TarHeels, who have "retired" jerseys and "honored" jerseys.  With an "honored" jersey, you can still use the number, but you offer the appropriate respect to players who did a lot for your team by hanging it in the rafters.

I'm actually sorry to see the Jazz retiring Stockton's number at this time.  I'd like to have seen them retire Stockton, Hornacek, Malone and Jerry Sloan together.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!