Author Topic: According to Fox News Pop is one of the best...  (Read 1396 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
According to Fox News Pop is one of the best...
« on: September 22, 2004, 04:46:36 PM »
"Gregg Popovich can draw up Xs and Os with the best of them. But according to Charley Rosen it's his flexibility and willingness to adapt that makes the Spurs head coach one of the NBA's best. Full Story ... "

:huh:   Do they mean Gregg Popavich of the SA Spurs?  Read below.  Debate.  Spurs fans jump my "ish".  Whatever.  I'm dying to hear the boards response to this, especially Reality's (whos been MIA).  Hopefully they arent talking about adapting to in-game situations because thats the main reason why the Spurs have lost 4 out of the last 5 years.  Im all for giving him his props but this is uhhh, a little off to say the least.  Funny how at the end of the article they talk about the team's success resting on Rose's shoulders.....yet it was partially Pop's fault why he needs to "re-emerge" in the first place.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This guy can do it all. He can work with veterans and he can also develop rookies. From the All-Stars to the scrubs, Gregg Popovich has earned the admiration of the vast majority of his players — even those who don't get the daylight they feel they deserve — and they all gladly accept their assigned roles.

Why is this so? Because Popovich is an honest man in a profession that's populated by too many snake oil salesmen.
Just how honest is he? Back in the late 1980s when he was a Spurs assistant, Popovich made no secret that the biggest problem with David Robinson's game plan was that the Admiral had too many outsides interests — including playing the piano and fiddling with computers — to truly love playing basketball. Interesting, however, that Robinson's passion for the game turned fiery shortly after Pop became the Spurs' commander-in-chief.

There's no question that Popovich is also renowned as a masterful manipulator of Xs and Os, yet his game-time flexibility is a secret ingredient that's likewise been critical to his success: He can be cool on the bench, but when the necessity arises he can also breathe fire. His teams can run or grunt, finesse or bang — whatever it takes to win.

While a coach's capacity to provide leadership is certainly important, it's also a vastly overrated quality. An NBA coach is, after all, a civilian. Whether he's sitting, squatting, standing, or pacing the sidelines, a coach wears a monkey suit and merely hovers on the physical periphery of the game at hand. True leadership must come from the players themselves — whether by encouraging, scolding, advising and/or providing an example for their teammates. What a coach can do is create an environment of respect and cooperation. And nobody does this better than Popovich.

That's exactly why the Spurs' team chemistry is as precious and immutable as a gold ring (make that two gold rings).

Pop's generic defense is always active — poaching the passing lanes, rotating to help situations with speed and precision, sealing ball penetration, pouncing on loose balls, and hustling in transition. On offense, his teams are invariably unselfish and take great pleasure in finding the open man. They'll run multiple loops, dives and rubs in their early offense. In half-courts sets, the Spurs use screen/rolls to either get Tony Parker into the paint, or to force the defense to scramble and thereby uncover San Antonio's shooters.

Tim Duncan, of course, is at the hub of most of Popovich's half-court alignments, and his clutch-shooting, his versatility, unselfishness, and decision-making are unsurpassed among the league's big men. Popovich's most noticeable flaw, however, is his occasional stubbornness — against some bigger, stronger opponents, TD would be better used at the high post (to say nothing of the diminished wear and tear on his body parts). But Popovich frequently goes with what he wants to do, instead of with what may work best. This is a minor quibble, however, and only proves that Pop isn't quite perfect. Back when the 6'2", 200-pound Popovich was playing for the Air Force Academy (1968-1970), his game was noteworthy for his shooting prowess. Accordingly, the several editions of his San Antonio teams have tended to be jump-shot happy. This predilection, of course, led to dire consequences in last season's postseason matchup with the Lakers.

It's no secret that the Western Conference will be incredibly competitive in the forthcoming campaign. So what might Popovich reasonably expect from his team?

Brent Barry will certainly improve the Spurs' propensity to die by the jump shot. Bruce Bowen is arguably the best defensive wing-man around. Parker is another year older and should bring an increased maturity to his sometimes helter-skelter game. Radoslav Nesterovic remains a point-minded center who'd rather fade away than bang. After his gold-medal performance in Athens, Manu Ginobili has every reason to perform with more confidence and more consistency than ever before. And Duncan might indeed be motivated to trump his bronze medal with another gold ring.

The key to the Spurs' ultimate destiny, though, may be the ability of Malik Rose to make a forceful re-emergence as a powerhouse rebounder and interior scorer.

Whatever needs must be met, whatever adjustments must be made on the run, count on Pop to get the job done in a timely and effective fashion. That's because Gregg Popovich is undoubtedly the NBA's most accomplished coach.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 04:48:26 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 05:04:06 PM »
Popovich's most noticeable flaw, however, is his occasional stubbornness — against some bigger, stronger opponents, TD would be better used at the high post (to say nothing of the diminished wear and tear on his body parts). But Popovich frequently goes with what he wants to do, instead of with what may work best.

The above excerpt says a lot.  But I would take it a step further and say that his stubbornness...especially in offensive sets....costs the Spurs games.  Despite Randy's in depth analysis of the Spurs offense as "dump and watch" it really is more fluid than that.  However if it is not working Pop won't adjust it, he just expects the players to do a better job on execution.  And if it does work he will leave it alone...which can cause problems in the playoffs (see game 3 of LA/SA series when LA decided it was time to focus on Parker).

As far as defensively IMO Pop is the best defensive coach in the league.  It is no surprise that Indiana's defense improved when the Spurs top defensive asst coach moved there last season.  And it goes far beyond just having to 7 footers clogging the middle.  The Spurs are adept at closing off passing lanes, shutting down transition games (see 2003 Finals), switching, help side defense and other facets of solid team defense.

Pop is very well regarded among NBA insiders and coaches.  Players deeply respect his up-front no-nonsense handling of them.   This article is a little more "puffy" than it should be but the basic underlying principles are on target.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 05:32:52 PM »

As far as defensively IMO Pop is the best defensive coach in the league.  It is no surprise that Indiana's defense improved when the Spurs top defensive asst coach moved there last season.  And it goes far beyond just having to 7 footers clogging the middle.  The Spurs are adept at closing off passing lanes, shutting down transition games (see 2003 Finals), switching, help side defense and other facets of solid team defense.

Agreed.  Right now he is on a whole different level than some of the better defensive coaches in the league (Like Van Gundy).  I don't know why most of this article went off on the offensive route, the Spurs success comes from the defense they play each and every night.  A HUGE bulk of their W's come from the defensive end.

Its nice to see him get a whole article written about what hes done in SA.....just IMO it went the wrong direction.  He goes on and on about the offense but then calls the Spurs defense generic?  The Spurs dont play any sort of Sara-Lee defense.

That whole Rose part is not only not needed but it takes away from the article.  Why bring up the Rose situation when everyone knows Pop played a hand in it?  His decision to play Horry over Rose hurt them in the playoffs.  Rose wasn't sharp nor was he happy.  Horry ran out of gas because of the heavy minutes during the season.  Could we maybe petition for a different sports writer to re-do the story and give Pop his props?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 05:37:15 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Guest_Randy

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 08:24:29 AM »
Popovich's most noticeable flaw, however, is his occasional stubbornness — against some bigger, stronger opponents, TD would be better used at the high post (to say nothing of the diminished wear and tear on his body parts). But Popovich frequently goes with what he wants to do, instead of with what may work best.

The above excerpt says a lot.  But I would take it a step further and say that his stubbornness...especially in offensive sets....costs the Spurs games.  Despite Randy's in depth analysis of the Spurs offense as "dump and watch" it really is more fluid than that.  However if it is not working Pop won't adjust it, he just expects the players to do a better job on execution.  And if it does work he will leave it alone...which can cause problems in the playoffs (see game 3 of LA/SA series when LA decided it was time to focus on Parker).

As far as defensively IMO Pop is the best defensive coach in the league.  It is no surprise that Indiana's defense improved when the Spurs top defensive asst coach moved there last season.  And it goes far beyond just having to 7 footers clogging the middle.  The Spurs are adept at closing off passing lanes, shutting down transition games (see 2003 Finals), switching, help side defense and other facets of solid team defense.

Pop is very well regarded among NBA insiders and coaches.  Players deeply respect his up-front no-nonsense handling of them.   This article is a little more "puffy" than it should be but the basic underlying principles are on target.
Well, it's no surprise that I don't think that the Spurs offense is "more fluid" as you put it.  The reason why?  Outside of Tony Parker, the Spurs aren't made up of great passers -- Manu is a great creater and he passes the ball well when he is creating but he doesn't seem to pass all that well when he is running a play.  IMO, as I have stated before, passing ISN'T a great strength of TD -- not to say he's horrible at it -- perhaps adequate -- it's the weakest part of his game, IMO, although he doesn't have too many weak parts to his game.  Bowen, Rasho -- neither are good passers -- this is why Brent Barry is such a HUGE pick-up for the Spurs.  Barry is a GREAT passer, shoots very well from downtown, is an excellent defensive player, plays the passing lanes well and moves well with and without the ball.  The Spurs NEED to move to more of a motion set -- something they do FAR better without TD than they do with TD -- again, I believe that has to do with Pop's rigidity in his "set" offense.  When the Lakers played the Spurs last year without TD, it was Pop's motion offense that caused the Lakers struggle -- they simply weren't used to this kind of offense from the Spurs.  But the Spurs got beat last year because of Pop's greatest weakness -- call it inability or inflexibility, Pop simply doesn't "adjust" enough by changing up his offense when needed.  

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 08:29:50 AM »
Pop is real open and honest with his players, he dosen't play any games, and I think players respond to that.   Defensively, I agree that he's the best defensive coach in the NBA and he's also one of the top GM's. He knows how to fill roles on a team, SA probably has one of the leagues smallest payrolls, yet they continue to be successful year in and year out.  That's due to Pop.
Paul

Guest_Randy

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 08:39:19 AM »
Pop is real open and honest with his players, he dosen't play any games, and I think players respond to that.   Defensively, I agree that he's the best defensive coach in the NBA and he's also one of the top GM's. He knows how to fill roles on a team, SA probably has one of the leagues smallest payrolls, yet they continue to be successful year in and year out.  That's due to Pop.
I concur with all of that.  I think he made a mistake with the JKidd thing though -- not that he didn't communicate with Parker, just that he failed to realize that Parker was a 19 year old kid who was going to begin to struggle with where he would fit in with a team that had:  JKidd at point, Jackson and Manu at SG and Bowen at SF -- where was he going to get starting minutes in that line-up.  I don't think Pop really thought through all of that and communicated how it was going to work (and I REALLY don't think it could have).  But I do believe Pop is very honest and straightforward with his players -- of course, it helps having DRob and TD -- probably the two best "A+" citizens the game has ever seen, as your leaders.  

Pop IS one of the best defensive coaches in the league -- of course, it doesn't hurt having personnel like TD and Bowen on your team -- but it's obvious that the Spurs hang their hat on defense -- and that wins ball games.  Pop is also a great scout -- he has a nose for talent (okay, he miscued on that Rasho guy thinking he was going to fill DRob's shoes  :rofl: ) but look at the players he has gotten:  Rose, Barry, Bowen, Parker, Ginobili, Jackson, just to name very recent players.  Shows some real abilities to evaluate talent and potential.  Of course, he also has the best luck in the world too, drafting DRob and then TD?  That was luck, wasn't it?  :huh: