Author Topic: Survior football (ziggy looks like hes busy today)  (Read 2825 times)

jn

Survior football (ziggy looks like hes busy today)
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2004, 11:24:34 AM »
The reffing was a little goofy but the main problem was Daunte's fumble and the absence of Moe Williams, Jim Kleinsasser, and Mike Rosenthal.  Against the Eagles D you need excellent blocking to give the quarterback time.  With those three out Daunte was forced to take take short dropsbacks and dump the ball off or run.  Plus there were the KILLER penalties on the backups.  Plus Moe is a much better short yardage and goal line runner than Onterrio Smith.

Poor decision by the Vikes to try and slam Smith up the middle on the goal line.  At least TRY a jump ball to Moss.  

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2004, 11:40:01 AM »
Yeah, I thought the key to the game was the pass rush.  We needed to be able to get a rush on Dante without blitzing too much.  I thought our front four played great, led by Kearse, who was a monster, McDougle and Walker.  You could see Dante get rattled (the heave that should have been picked off by Lewis), and it prevented the major deep strikes.  I also thought our corners played well, the only time they were really beat was that jump ball to Moss.  And he was in good position, but that's where that half a foot Moss has on them came into play.

Where I thought we got beat in the passing game was over the middle, I thought our backers really didn't play the pass well (although they played the run well and the goal line tremendously, so I'll give them a pass).  The tightends and running backs killed us in the passing game more than the wr's.

Our offense was great.  The only thing that stopped our offense was the minnesota offense staying on the field.  Our inability to get 3 and outs (did either team have one all game?) was the only reason we didn't score 30+.  

Some bad calls (refs giving the vikings the ball when we came up with it, to's td catch) and some luck (lewis missing the interception, dante's fumble) affected the game.  But I think those pretty much balanced themselves out.  Ultimately, I think the Eagles just made less mistakes.

and daaaaaaaaaaaamn that Dante fumble was close.  Good call, the ball never crossed the line, but man was it close.  amazing.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2004, 11:40:50 AM »
The reffing was a little goofy but the main problem was Daunte's fumble and the absence of Moe Williams, Jim Kleinsasser, and Mike Rosenthal.  Against the Eagles D you need excellent blocking to give the quarterback time.  With those three out Daunte was forced to take take short dropsbacks and dump the ball off or run.  Plus there were the KILLER penalties on the backups.  Plus Moe is a much better short yardage and goal line runner than Onterrio Smith.

Poor decision by the Vikes to try and slam Smith up the middle on the goal line.  At least TRY a jump ball to Moss.
That certainly did not look like the same Minn. team I saw last week.  The refs made a big mistake (the one DB pointed out) but other than that it wasn't much different than most NFL games.  The Viks got their butts kicked..which is ok as long as they keep cowboy fans quiet.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com