Author Topic: UnFreedom of Speech  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
UnFreedom of Speech
« on: August 19, 2004, 09:20:10 PM »
Which is worse, the Chinese for scolding Yao for being a "disobedient child" and "irresponsible" or the Flaming US media for using the headline Yaos "tirade"?  :D
Read the context of Yaos *outrageous* tirade comments.

"Yao tirade may cost NBA more Chinese players"
FoxSports.com

Rockets center Yao Ming is being accused of disloyalty to China's Olympic team, according to a report in Toronto's Globe and Mail. And his actions have reportedly made China reconsider sending its players to the NBA.

Chinese officials reacted strongly to Yao's negative comments about his teammates Thursday, suggesting the NBA in the United States has corrupted their once "obedient child."

The report hinted China may "consider tighter restrictions" on Chinese players who want to play in the NBA, like heralded up-and-comer Yi Jianlian, the 16-year-old who is seen as the next Yao.

"The Chinese Basketball Association will consider more deeply and carefully about sending players to the NBA again," one report said.

Yao was "an obedient child" with a "very good reputation," an official was quoted as saying. "Now, he has changed, he's more like an American, he dares to say anything."

The 7-foot-6 center, who carried his nation's flag in the opening ceremonies, blasted his teammates after his team's 82-57 loss to Argentina on Thursday.

"I'm disappointed in my teammates," Yao said. "We gave up at the end of the game. I don't think some of my teammates cherish the honor to play for the country. ... Were they nervous? Or they would not take their responsibilities? We gave up easily every time we came across obstacles."[/size]

The comments sparked a harsh response from Chinese sports officials, who derided Yao for "splitting" the Chinese team with his "irresponsible" comments.

"How could he say that?" one official was quoted as saying. "How could he say that the other players weren't trying their best? Any irresponsible speech like his, any action to split the team, is definitely forbidden. This is the national team, this is the Olympics — any word by a player can affect others and can create difficulties in future matches."

Many Chinese fans came to Yao's defense, saying the star was only being honest. "Yao Ming is not always right, but in this case he is absolutely right," one fan wrote on a Chinese website. "The truth may hurt someone, but is it wrong to tell the truth?"

Against Argentina Yao was never a factor. China committed 15 turnovers and Yao was 1-for-7 from the field. Yao came into the game averaging 25.5 points and 10.5 rebounds. The center finished with 15 points on 6-for-13 shooting. China had a total of 23 turnovers and Argentina had a 40-29 rebound advantage.

China is one of four teams in Group A with a 1-2 record and it finishes against two of the others — Italy and reigning world champion Serbia-Montenegro. China must win at least one to advance to next week's quarterfinals, something it has done only once in seven previous Olympic appearances.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 09:26:46 PM by Reality »

UnFreedom of Speech
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 09:47:05 PM »
God forbid someone using the gift he gave them to speak whats on their mind.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
UnFreedom of Speech
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 05:33:47 AM »
it shouldn't be against the law to say that, but it probably wasn't the most responsible thing for yao to say (from a strictly basketball standpoint).  It's never good to alienate your teammates like that.  Instead of using "they" he should have used "we".

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
UnFreedom of Speech
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 08:29:11 AM »
This also has to be considered in the context of the Chinese culture.  Speaking one's mind about a team issue is very much an "American" trait.  He may have been honest but to say so publically is what has the Chinese officials upset.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
UnFreedom of Speech
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 09:57:42 AM »
He may have been honest but to say so publically is what has the Chinese officials upset.
I concur 100% on the public part.  Only after you have spoken  to teamates 1st.  Then the media hordes if at all can get some.

The public part is kind of iffy.   Even in liberal US when you see a player and team squabbling thru the media its sad.  And those media folks......can we have a BBQ with them?  "Paparazzi" Sept 3rd WooHoo!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
UnFreedom of Speech
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 09:59:50 AM »
As for the forbidden child bit, anyone read Anthem by Ann Rand.
Skip the last 10 pages.  Otherwise superb, i wish a movie could be made of this.

I will make one.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
UnFreedom of Speech
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 12:32:37 PM »
I concur with Dbodner and Lurker that his own game was such that he certainly should have said "we" instead of "I", and he should have spoken to his teammates instead of the media.

I agree with the opinion, however, that he is entitled to speak his mind without the Chinese contigent calling him a disobedient child, which is so condescending that it makes the Chinese look extremely foolish.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
UnFreedom of Speech
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2004, 01:24:27 PM »
But in a culture that is long rooted in respect for your elders and superiors speaking out as Yao did is considered very very disrespectful....much like a disobedient child.  I find more problems with people judging this using THEIR cultural bias rather than seeing it as just the Chinese officials chastising Ming for speaking out.  Not much different than Larry Brown dissing Iverson for missing practices.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

UnFreedom of Speech
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2004, 10:33:44 AM »
But in a culture that is long rooted in respect for your elders and superiors speaking out as Yao did is considered very very disrespectful....much like a disobedient child.  I find more problems with people judging this using THEIR cultural bias rather than seeing it as just the Chinese officials chastising Ming for speaking out.  Not much different than Larry Brown dissing Iverson for missing practices.
How are his fellow teammates his elder and his superiors?  You are right that its a different culture and things are seen differently.   Calling him disobediant is one thing, calling him a child is another.  The man is far from a child.