Author Topic: Democrats attacking the First Amendment?  (Read 8854 times)

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
Democrats attacking the First Amendment?
« on: October 13, 2004, 12:48:46 PM »
Wall Street Journal

Wall Street Journal OpEd page

Sinclair and Double Standards
October 13, 2004; Page A16

We haven't seen "Stolen Honor," the documentary on Senator John Kerry's post-Vietnam antiwar activities that's causing such a brouhaha in advance of its scheduled airing later this month. Sinclair Broadcast Group doesn't own a station in our metro New York City market, though we're now tempted to hop on a plane to Buffalo or St. Louis to check out what all the fuss is about.

Of course, if Dianne Feinstein and 17 other Democratic Senators have their way, Buffalonians and St. Louisans won't get to see it either. The Senators have written a letter of protest to the Federal Communications Commission. "To allow a broadcasting company to air such a blatantly partisan attack in lieu of regular programming, and to classify that attack as 'news programming' as has been suggested, would violate the spirit, and we think the text, of current law and regulation," they write.

Meanwhile, Terry McAuliffe called the program "an illegal in-kind contribution" to the Bush campaign and said the Democratic National Committee is filing a complaint with the Federal Election Commission. Over at the FCC, Democratic Commissioner Michael Copps interrupted his Columbus Day holiday to dub the broadcast "an abuse of the public trust." More ominously, Kerry adviser Chad Clanton told Fox News yesterday that "I think they (Sinclair) are going to regret doing this, and they better hope we don't win." Perhaps Mr. Clanton is auditioning for the H.R. Haldeman seat in the Nixon, er, Kerry White House.

Allow us to interrupt this programming with a commercial on the First Amendment. It wasn't the intention of the Founders to give elected officials veto power over press reports. That goes for Republicans too. We didn't like it any better when GOP Representative Joe Barton, outraged at Rathergate, last month considered convening a hearing on TV news operations.

The excuse for such broadcast regulation used to be that the public airwaves required "equal time." But this anti-democratic notion went away when the so-called Fairness Doctrine finally did in the 1980s. With all of the many media outlets that are now available, surely no one thinks Sinclair's special will brainwash voters who haven't been exposed to the alternative point of view. All those voters have to do is turn on CNN 24 hours a day, or the CBS Evening News whenever Dan Rather is letting anti-Bush Texas partisans leak him a story.

In any event, we fail to see a difference between Sinclair's anti-Kerry documentary and the cascade of newspaper editorials now endorsing the Senator. The Kerry campaign graciously sent us (and no doubt a few thousand other of its closest media friends) a batch this week, complete with Web links. The list included such leading big-city dailies as the Philadelphia Inquirer (which is planning 21 installments on its favored candidate), St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Oregonian, the Portland (Maine) Press Herald, the Atlanta-Journal Constitution, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. These editorials all appeared over the weekend.

Previous Kerry endorsements have come from the Philadelphia Daily News, the Seattle Times, the Arizona Daily Star, the Detroit Free Press, the New London Day, and -- living up to its name -- the Lone Star Iconoclast of President Bush's hometown of Crawford, Texas. Other big city papers -- New York Times, Los Angeles Times, Washington Post, Boston Globe, Chicago Tribune, Miami Herald -- haven't weighed in yet, but you can already guess where most will lean. (This newspaper has a long tradition of not endorsing candidates.)

We haven't done the math, but surely the combined impact of these "in-kind contributions" reaches millions of potential voters who aren't likely to read another editorial endorsing Mr. Bush. By contrast, Sinclair's 42-minute documentary is airing on the company's 62 stations, which reach 24% of U.S. households. The Kerry campaign declined Sinclair's invitation to the Senator to comment on the show.

None of "Stolen Honor's" critics appears to have actually seen the show, whose subtitle is "Wounds That Never Heal." It is said to include interviews with former Vietnam POWs arguing that Senator Kerry's 1971 testimony to Congress prolonged their captivity. Whether or not one agrees with Sinclair vice president Mark Hyman's news judgment that this is an undercovered story, it is certainly the right of the news organization to broadcast it.

Meanwhile, Variety reports that Michael Moore is negotiating to air "Fahrenheit 9/11" on pay per view on Election Day eve. We look forward to reading the Senators' follow-up letter to the FCC on this abuse of the airwaves.

"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Guest_Randy

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 12:57:30 PM »
Hypocrisy at it's best!

It's okay to endorse (silently) Michael Moore (his movie is the ONLY reason that he was given a spot at the Democratic Convention and his movie but there's no WAY that it's okay for anyone in the Republican camp to air anything even REMOTELY similar?

Name ONE person who believes that everything in Fahrenheit 9/11 is true?  Anyone?  I don't even think Michael Moore believes it's all true but that's certainly not the way it was presented, right?

I heard some Senators reacting to the movie and proclaiming that the Media was supposed to be "non-partisan" and "non-biased" -- you mean like CBS and Dan Rather?  That kind of "non-partisan" and "non-biased" reporting?  Please!  

Then I heard that they were upset because Kerry and his camp were not given the opportunity to present their side of the story following the movie -- umm, trying to remember Moore giving Bush that same opportunity.

If you don't cry when someone does it IN your favor -- don't cry because they did it when it's NOT in your favor!

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 01:06:30 PM »
It's blatantly biased and subjective. My only gripe is, if your an independent news source, you need to present both sides. If they showed Farenheit 9-11 immediately following the program, I wouldn't have issue.

That's what PBS did. They presented both sides, they didn't try to sway the election.
Paul

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 01:18:15 PM »
It's blatantly biased and subjective. My only gripe is, if your an independent news source, you need to present both sides. If they showed Farenheit 9-11 immediately following the program, I wouldn't have issue.

That's what PBS did. They presented both sides, they didn't try to sway the election.
Dude you're so blind.

Would you say Fahrenheit 911 was blatantly biased and subjective? Matt Lauer shredded Moore on NBC, accusing him of putting biased and subjective material out there as journalism. And yet it's okay for that movie to be distributed in an election year, but this movie (which is probably also a pile of crap) should be banned? Why?

What about the 11th hour deal to have Fahrenheit 911 on pay per view the night before the election? Where's the outcry about that?

I may think Michael Moore is fat, bombastic liar, but I support his right to make and sell his movie. I see no difference in allowing these people to air their movie. Are you really for censorship? Seriously?

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 01:29:16 PM »
Are you really for censorship? Seriously?

Absolutely not unless it causes harm or injury to somebody else. For example, somebody yelling "FIRE" in a crowded theater, or say, a scrub network trying to make a name for itself by purposely causing controversy in an election year.  

CBS paid a terrible price for their mistake. Hope the same happens to FOX.
Paul

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 02:04:13 PM »
Mark Hyman of Sinclair Broadcasting has routinely reported biased "news" as part of his "The Point" editorial for months.  We lucky folks in San Antonio can listen to his blathering on a nightly basis.  Last week he even went as far as calling Kerry the "leader of the entire 60's anti-war movement."  He has regularly taken the campaign rhetoric of the Bush camp and spent several minutes nightly editoralizing it as the "truth" about Kerry.  Funny thing is that he has never done an editorial on Bush.   Hmmmmm.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Guest_Randy

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 02:07:44 PM »
Are you really for censorship? Seriously?

Absolutely not unless it causes harm or injury to somebody else. For example, somebody yelling "FIRE" in a crowded theater, or say, a scrub network trying to make a name for itself by purposely causing controversy in an election year.  

CBS paid a terrible price for their mistake. Hope the same happens to FOX.
We aren't talking a NEWS agency -- we are talking a MEDIA agency -- we expect the News (i.e. reporters) to be unbiased -- of course, we all know they aren't.  There are obvious agencies on BOTH sides of the political fence.  However, we aren't talking a NEWS program -- we are talking a movie shown through a media market.  I fail to see the difference in how you can tell a media market that they can't show a one-sided perspective without the other side without telling Michael Moore the same thing!  It's hypocrisy to say it's okay for one side without saying it's okay for the other.  

I have ZERO doubt that there are going to be untruths and inaccuracies in this movie -- just as most people (all rational people actually) will admit that Michael Moore's movie is nothing more than propaganda for a perspective -- HIS perspective and is FILLED with untruths and inaccuracies.  

I believe that if you want to ban one of them -- you ban them BOTH!  These Senators don't have a problem with the media venue -- they have a problem with the message of the argument.  When the start saying that they don't approve of what Michael Moore did with a movie that was supposedly representing the truth -- then I'll start believing that they are standing on an issue!  But the Democratic Party LOVED what Moore did, lies and all, and that's why they gave him a spot on the platform during the Convention -- to connect Moore, his film and the democratic party.  

If it's good for one, it's good for the other.  I, actually believe, that BOTH are wrong!

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 02:24:08 PM »
I just can't wait for this election to be over with to be honest with you. It will be nice to have the board back!  

(Of course, whoever gets elected, I'm sure either side will think the world will be coming to an end.) :cry:  :alcohol:  :D  
Paul

Guest_Randy

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 02:28:31 PM »
I just can't wait for this election to be over with to be honest with you. It will be nice to have the board back!  

(Of course, whoever gets elected, I'm sure either side will think the world will be coming to an end.) :cry:  :alcohol:  :D
You forgot to mention that the winner is already preresigned to listen to conspiracy theories of a "rigged" election -- always happens in close elections (or NBA championships, right Reality?).

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 02:34:14 PM »

This coming from the run away leader of politically off topic posts.  :up:

I don't think the world will come to an end if Kerry wins. I think things will be okay. Our foreign policy experts and diplomats might all have to learn French, but otherwise I think the country will get along okay, until the Democratic party ousts Kerry in 2008 and nominates Shrillary. Then we're going to hell in a hand basket.

Seriously, though, I strongly believe this country is still stronger than anyone president. It may not always be so, but I don't think one administration can ruin this country. Although it seems like every one of them for the past 15 or so years has sure tried.

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2004, 02:36:10 PM »
You forgot to mention that the winner is already preresigned to listen to conspiracy theories of a "rigged" election -- always happens in close elections (or NBA championships, right Reality?).
Don't say such things Randy! That is my absolute greatest fear. I hope whatever happens, it is a decisive win. I couldn't stand another Florida.

jn

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2004, 03:02:57 PM »
Ted it won't be ANOTHER Florida, it will be Florida. Again.  Seriously I've seen some articles on it and the news is not good.  

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2004, 03:17:19 PM »
But the Democratic Party LOVED what Moore did, lies and all, and that's why they gave him a spot on the platform during the Convention -- to connect Moore, his film and the democratic party.

Michael Moore was at the Republican Convention too.

Also, there's a law that you can't have any tv advertisements about a political documentary within 30 days of a primary or 60 days of an election.  Republican officials actually tried to prevent ads for Farenheit 9/11 because it was within 30 days of the Republican National Convention, which was technically a primary.

So don't act like the Republicans didn't try to stop Farenheith 9/11.  They did.

Not to mention, Republicans flat out trying stop the release of 9/11
-----------------------------------
Shadow Divers: According to Variety, now that Sony/Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment has landed domestic DVD distribution rights to Fahrenheit 9/11, studio is facing the wrath of some of same Republicans who went after Michael Moore before the controversial doc was released.

Days before "Fahrenheit 9/11" opened in theaters, Citizens' United, a conservative group in Washington, filed a complaint with the Federal Election Commission, charging that the movie and any ads related to its promotion amount to political electioneering and are subject to the same restraints of the new campaign finance laws.
--------------------------------------------------------------

In essence:
I don't like Michael Moore
Republicans did the same damned thing.   There's no hypocrisy.  They both tried to sensor and destroy the 1st amendment.  And neither will be successful.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 03:20:03 PM by dbodner »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2004, 03:26:08 PM »
Already been said before.....Demo's are doing exactly the Republicans were doing with Farenheit.  If you are going to say the Demo's are attacking the first amendment, are wrong, and trying to undermind our rights....please apply those to the Rep party also.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jn

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2004, 03:55:54 PM »
Ted,

Well it didn't take long to find another article about the situation in Florida.  

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6236774/