Author Topic: 6 Bush Cabinet Members Resign??  (Read 3641 times)

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
6 Bush Cabinet Members Resign??
« on: November 15, 2004, 05:51:02 PM »
Anybody find this level of disertion odd?

The White House on Monday announced Colin Powell's plan to depart along with the resignations of Education Secretary Rod Paige, Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman and Energy Secretary Spencer Abraham.

Combined with the resignations earlier this month of Commerce Secretary Don Evans and Attorney General John Ashcroft, six of Bush's 15 Cabinet members will not be part of the president's second term, which begins with his inauguration Jan. 20. An administration that experienced few changes over the last four years suddenly hit a high-water mark for overhaul.

Paul

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 12:16:13 AM »
While I'm a big fan of Condoleezza Rice, she's the wrong choice for the new Secretary of State.  The next Secretary of State should be John Danforth.  As a former U.N. ambassador, Danforth will be well-respected in negotiations with foreign countries.  Rice, on the other hand, will be too much of a Bush rubber-stamp.

And why can't we get rid of Rumsfeld?  That's the one cabinet member I *MOST* wanted to see leave.

The new cabinet is starting to become scary.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 09:58:16 AM »
Think Conde is a horrible choice, although, Bush appointing a black women and a hispanic to two high level posts is noble.

A friend of mine said the cabinet members leaving wasn't about disloyalty, he said it was about $$. Cabinet members can make bank on the outside, wonder if that was truly their motivation. Somehow, I don't think so.
Paul

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 08:03:23 PM »
Anybody find this level of disertion odd?

The White House on Monday announced Colin Powell's plan to depart along with the resignations of Education Secretary Rod Paige, Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman and Energy Secretary Spencer Abraham.

Combined with the resignations earlier this month of Commerce Secretary Don Evans and Attorney General John Ashcroft, six of Bush's 15 Cabinet members will not be part of the president's second term, which begins with his inauguration Jan. 20. An administration that experienced few changes over the last four years suddenly hit a high-water mark for overhaul.
its not odd for abinet members to leave before the next term of office.  tyhe only thing odd is that they didnt change or quit BEFORE the four years was over.  powell, mentioned a LONG time ago he would only do one term.  as for Rice, i dont know if she will keep the job, she is a little to gruff to do what powell did i think.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Captain Obvious

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 01:41:49 AM »
When people notice that a ship is going to sink they normally jump off as fast as they can.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 11:29:15 AM »
When people notice that a ship is going to sink they normally jump off as fast as they can.
ah i see so every member that jumped off clintons cabinet saw the ship sinking?  how about senior bush???  this happens with EVERY president, the obvious would be to realize this was expected LONG before the outcome of the election.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

rickortreat

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 11:42:14 AM »
I don't think there's anything odd about it.  These types of people often move back and forth between private enterprise and governent, or academic postions.  While in Washington they do favors for their friends and then get rewarded later when they're out of the spotlight.

Besides, Bush is an idiot, it's hard to show an idiot respect on a daily basis without loosing it.  I bet Powell would like nothing better than the chance to kick Bush's ass if he could get away with it!

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 11:59:04 AM »
I don't think there's anything odd about it.  These types of people often move back and forth between private enterprise and governent, or academic postions.  While in Washington they do favors for their friends and then get rewarded later when they're out of the spotlight.

Besides, Bush is an idiot, it's hard to show an idiot respect on a daily basis without loosing it.  I bet Powell would like nothing better than the chance to kick Bush's ass if he could get away with it!
personally i think Powell hates politics and took this position not just for his own personal gain, but to see if he wanted to further his political career....i thik i turn he may have killed any hopes of one day going for the big show by being part of "W's" cabinet...

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 12:08:32 PM »
Spursx3 is right.  :eek2: Read below:[/size]

The last five administrations resemble revolving door

DAYTON, Ohio, Nov. 15 /PRNewswire/ -- The flurry of resignations from President George Bush's cabinet seems significant, but, compared to past administrations, is still not all that monumental, a study of data on LexisNexis has revealed. LexisNexis is a leading provider of legal, news, business and risk information.

From forced resignations to mass resignations, the leader of the most powerful nation in the world has historically endured changes in his leadership team. For instance, in 1841, John Tyler's administration was rocked by the resignation of all but one cabinet member -- a symbolic protest to his demanding policies. Then, more than 130 years later, President Jimmy Carter demanded the resignation of all of his cabinet members, later accepting only five.

Putting together the best, most qualified and publicly appealing cabinet is not the simple task it appears to be. And, once that cabinet is assembled, keeping it together is another monumental task, a search of the LexisNexis® database indicates. In that study of the five most recent administrations, positions on presidential cabinets were more like revolving doors.

On Monday, four of President Bush's cabinet secretaries resigned, bringing to six the total of his key leaders to quit since his re-election. The White House announced Monday resignations of Colin Powell, secretary of state, Ann Veneman, agriculture secretary, Rod Paige, education secretary and Spencer Abraham, energy secretary. Earlier, Donald Evans, commerce secretary, and John Ashcroft, attorney general, resigned.

In all, eight people have resigned from Bush's original cabinet. In 2001, Mel Martinez, housing and urban development secretary, and Paul O'Neill, treasury secretary, stepped down.

The search of the more than 32,000 LexisNexis sources and four billion- plus documents indicates that the administration of Ronald Reagan was the most plagued with resignations, minus Carter's "July massacre," as dubbed by the media.

With the exception of his vice president, Reagan saw all but one of his cabinet positions change hands during his two terms in office from 1981-1989. Only Samuel Pierce made it through both terms in his position as HUD secretary. In addition to the cabinet musical chairs, Reagan endured four chiefs of staff and six national security advisors, with Colin Powell holding that post for the last two years of that administration. And, there was the resignation of Secretary of State Alexander Haig, famous for his "I am in control here in the White House" comment after Reagan was shot by John Hinckley.

The LexisNexis search shows that many of Reagan's top leaders left office under a cloud of legal proceedings with the Iran Contra investigation leaving a vast amount of carnage in its wake. The highest ranking and most powerful person indicted was Defense Secretary Caspar Weinberger, who was charged with lying and concealing nearly 2,000 pages of details of the affair. John Poindexter, one of the six national security advisors, was convicted of obstructing Congress after he approved financing that led to the Iran Contra debacle. His conviction was overturned on appeal.

James Watt was not an Iran Contra victim. It was his mouth that got him into trouble. He resigned his Secretary of Interior position in disgrace in 1983 after making off-color comments about minorities and religion.

While Reagan's administration saw a Secretary du jour, things calmed down slightly for his successor, George Herbert Walker Bush, according to the LexisNexis database. Only seven cabinet secretaries, or half of his leadership team, saw it fit to leave office during GHW Bush's single term in office. And, only one of his seven resignations was under inauspicious conditions -- Education Secretary Lauro Cavazos, who was forced out by Chief of Staff John Sununu.

On the other side of the coin, the Democrats have seen their fair share of resignations, the LexisNexis search shows. Eight of Jimmy Carter's cabinet members eventually resigned during his one term in office. Only his secretaries of education, labor, agriculture, interior and defense made it through Carter's four years.

Other top administration officials, including Carter's Ambassador to the United Nations, Andrew Young, were forced out. In Young's case, it was because of unauthorized meetings with PLO leaders. For Bert Lance, Carter's budget director, allegations of financial improprieties cost him his job.

The last Democrat to head the White House is Bill Clinton. Before he finished his second term in office, he had 10 of his original cabinet members resign and several of their replacements also resign. Clinton had four commerce secretaries and three secretaries of treasury, defense, and energy. Only his attorney general and secretaries of the interior, education, and health and human services endured all eight years of Clinton's presidency.

His non-cabinet senior leadership also saw a lot of turmoil. His chief of staff, Mack McLarty, was "encouraged" to leave the White House to allow for some controls and organization to be instilled. White House administrator David Watkins resigned after it was reveled he used a government chopper to go on a golf outing. White House counsel Bernard Nussbaum resigned amid the Whitewater scandal. Associate Attorney General Webster Hubbell was also a Whitewater victim. And, Surgeon General Jocelyn Elders finally packed it in after her highly criticized stance on abortion, drug legislation and sex education.

Other interesting anecdotes discovered in the LexisNexis search:

- Andrew Jackson appointed four secretaries of state and five secretaries

of the treasury within five years.

- Gerald Ford cleaned house by firing his secretary of defense for

insubordination; his secretary of agriculture for making a racist joke;

his CIA director to "bring change to the agency" after a 1975

investigation; and his vice president to get a fresh face on the 1976

Republican ticket.

- Lyndon Johnson so detested his attorney general appointment that he

labeled it his "biggest mistake." When Johnson heard Richard Nixon

denounce that attorney general in a campaign speech, Johnson was

reported to have said "I had to sit on my hand so I wouldn't cheer it."

About LexisNexis

LexisNexis® ( http://www.lexisnexis.com ) is a leader in comprehensive and authoritative legal, news and business information and tailored applications. A member of Reed Elsevier Group plc ( ENL) ( RUK) ( http://www.reedelsevier.com ), the company does business in 100 countries with 13,000 employees worldwide. In addition to its flagship Web-based Lexis® and Nexis® research services, the company includes some of the world's most respected legal publishers such as Martindale-Hubbell, Matthew Bender, Butterworths, JurisClasseur, Abeledo-Perrot and Orac.

SOURCE LexisNexis

CO: LexisNexis; Reed Elsevier Group plc

ST: Ohio

SU: SVY

Web site: http://www.lexis-nexis.com

Paul

Captain Obvious v2.0

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004, 12:28:55 PM »
ah i see so every member that jumped off clintons cabinet saw the ship sinking?  how about senior bush???  this happens with EVERY president, the obvious would be to realize this was expected LONG before the outcome of the election.
To keep it brief and simple.....yes.  They jumped ship because they felt something was not right.

You are telling me all these people leaving was known before the election?

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2004, 12:44:53 PM »
A friend of mine said the cabinet members leaving wasn't about disloyalty, he said it was about $$. Cabinet members can make bank on the outside, wonder if that was truly their motivation. Somehow, I don't think so.
Condie isn't the best choice. I'd rather have an imposing presence like Powell in there.

And 101 is right. Cabinet members can make bank, I mean serious BANK on the open market.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2004, 12:59:11 PM »
To keep it brief and simple.....yes.  They jumped ship because they felt something was not right.

You are telling me all these people leaving was known before the election?
no captain obvious, but they left for thier own reasons, not because it was not right, it was just not right to them.  there is a difference between that and whether your opinion of an entire admistration is sinking is true or not.