Author Topic: Iraqi weapons story  (Read 2743 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Iraqi weapons story
« on: October 27, 2004, 11:25:51 PM »
immediately before the election.

SF101, wanted your reaction to this

Ted asked
Are you really for censorship? Seriously?  

You replied
Absolutely not unless it causes harm or injury to somebody else. For example, somebody yelling "FIRE" in a crowded theater, or say, a scrub network trying to make a name for itself by purposely causing controversy in an election year.
CBS paid a terrible price for their mistake. Hope the same happens to FOX.

I wonder now if you still the same way, now that the shoe is on the other foot.

Holbrooke: "I Don't Know the Truth"
Even his campaign's senior foreign policy adviser can't vouch for the New York Times's "explosive" explosives story. But that isn't stopping John Kerry from using it as a political prop.
by William Kristol
10/26/2004 11:00:00 PM

IT SEEMS THAT Monday's groundbreaking New York Times story on missing explosives in Iraq was certainly not groundbreaking and may not even be true. The allegations that nearly 400 tons of "high explosives" were missing from the al Qaqaa arms dump are based on charges leveled by Mohamed al Baradei, chairman of the International Atomic Energy Agency. The claims are old and increasingly suspect. But that hasn't kept John Kerry's presidential campaign from using the story in a new television ad and in virtually every stump speech and media appearance over the past two days.

Now, however, the Kerry campaign admits that the information that is the basis of Senator Kerry's statements and his campaign advertisement may not even be true. Pressed on Tuesday afternoon about the accuracy of the allegations on Fox's Big Story with John Gibson, Richard Holbrooke, a senior adviser to the Kerry campaign, said: "You don't know the truth and I don't know the truth." He later underscored this point: "I don't know the truth."

That minor issue hasn't kept the Kerry campaign from creating a television ad based on what may well be untruthful claims.

The ad, called "Obligation" shows John Kerry speaking solemnly about the responsibilities of a president.

The obligation of a Commander in Chief is to keep our country safe. In Iraq, George Bush has overextended our troops and now failed to secure 380 tons of deadly explosives. The kind used for attacks in Iraq, and for terrorist bombings. His Iraq misjudgments put our soldiers at risk, and make our country less secure. And all he offers is more of the same. As President, I'll bring a fresh start to protect our troops and our nation. I'm John Kerry and I approved this message.

The claim is, well, explosive. John Kerry says the Bush administration's incompetence is killing U.S. soldiers. Reporting from a variety of news sources suggests that the explosives may have been gone before the U.S. troops arrived. In any case, Kerry's top advisers have conceded that their claims may prove false.

Yet, Kerry has leveled an extraordinarily harsh wartime charge against President Bush.

Shouldn't he at least make sure that such a charge is true?

It also now turns out that CBS 60 Minutes was planning to echo the New York Times story two days before Election Day. So what we have is an attempt by the New York Times, CBS, and a U.N. agency to work together to promote a very likely false story to damage President Bush's reelection prospects. Perhaps no one should be surprised that the liberal media and the United Nations are willing to go to quite extraordinary lengths to promote Kerry's prospects against Bush, but their behavior is not the issue. The issue is Kerry's willingness to advance allegations that his own campaign acknowledges may not be true.

William Kristol is editor of The Weekly Standard.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 11:27:02 PM by ziggy »
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Iraqi weapons story
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 08:36:05 AM »
I don't think it's right for him to be using that, at least, not just yet, more needs to be known.  Both sides are leveling false charges on each other, this certainly isn't the first one. Go to:

factcheck.org

you'll see what I'm talking about.
Paul

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Iraqi weapons story
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 01:01:23 PM »
I don't think it's right for him to be using that, at least, not just yet, more needs to be known.  Both sides are leveling false charges on each other, this certainly isn't the first one. Go to:

factcheck.org

didnt the ny times screw up once before?  apperantly the UN new about the explosives since as far back asd 1996, the amount was less than 3 tons of demolitions explosives as oppossed to the 300 tons of weaponry arsenal originally reported - which as it turns out may not have been there by the time stationed troops arrived....whats funny is kerry is still using this as a weapon against bush and oh yeah our troops for not disposing of this the right way to begin with.

i looked at the web site, 101 is right misinformation is blatant on both sides, what i want to say is "no shyte!"....   :crazy:  :bs:  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Iraqi weapons story
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 01:51:18 PM »
I don't think it's right for him to be using that, at least, not just yet, more needs to be known.  Both sides are leveling false charges on each other, this certainly isn't the first one. Go to:

factcheck.org

Hadn't been to that web site, it is actually very interesting.  Need to read it some more, but it looked pretty above board as well.

My frustration with this situation is that a highly respected and reputable newspaper like the NY Times, is in reality a trash rag.  It is prepared to publish something that very well may be a fraud for purely political purposes.  Should the Government stop them?  NO.  Should the public buy their daily dead fish wrapper?  NO.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 01:51:35 PM by ziggy »
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Iraqi weapons story
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 02:02:48 PM »
My frustration with this situation is that a highly respected and reputable newspaper like the NY Times, is in reality a trash rag. It is prepared to publish something that very well may be a fraud for purely political purposes. Should the Government stop them? NO. Should the public buy their daily dead fish wrapper? NO.

It's REALLY sad that both political parties have stations that do their bidding. (Repubs have Fox News, Sinclair and Clearchannel, Demo's have CBS News, etc...)

Probably won't matter much, everybody by now has made up their minds, we'll see what happens on Tuesday.

Putting a positive spin on this, all this divisiveness could be a good thing. If the right moderate, non-party affiliated candidate stepped up, he can bring a solid 3rd party into the mix the next election.  Both parties are too left or too far right IMO.
Paul

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
Iraqi weapons story
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 02:24:47 PM »
Both parties are too left or too far right IMO.
Holy crap! I agree with 101 on politics?!? The APOCALYPSE!!!
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Iraqi weapons story
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2004, 10:42:50 PM »
Both parties are too left or too far right IMO.
Holy crap! I agree with 101 on politics?!? The APOCALYPSE!!!
yeah when 101 starts sounding like he has half a brain usually means things are about to go seriously wrong.....seriously......no really i mean it........ :crazy:  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.