Author Topic: Overrated  (Read 5031 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Overrated
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2004, 10:16:30 AM »
second of all, the amount of pressure brown has been putting on the ballhandlers certainly does have an effect on the triangle.  this is really the only team he goes that far with, he did it in 2001 and he's doing it again.  it's affected the lakers bigtime.

Exactly.  I've been saying that for years after seeing the 2001 Sixers do that to the Lakers.

That is the only way to beat LA's triangle.

As far as being over rated, the East is still the JV conference.  The disgusting Lakers attitude has been a disgrace.  In all honesty the Spurs would not have let this happen.  They mentality of the Spurs players and coaching is blue collar and would not let arrogance become a factor and allow a clearly inferior team make a series out of the finals.  I think the Pistons would have had the same succes against the Wolves/Kings/Mavs.  They should not have that this type of sucess against an inside presence like Shaq/Duncan.

Simply disgusting.  The Lakers need to turn it around in game 4.  IMO whoever wins game 4 will win the series.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Overrated
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2004, 10:18:13 AM »
first of all, sheed's still injured.  plantar fasciatis doesn't go away over the course of 1 series.

second of all, the amount of pressure brown has been putting on the ballhandlers certainly does have an effect on the triangle.  this is really the only team he goes that far with, he did it in 2001 and he's doing it again.  it's affected the lakers bigtime.

also, lb usuall likes to go small ball.  when phil brings walton in, that's larry's first reaction.  instead, he put corliss, who's been forgotten at times this postseason, at the 3. 

And I have a hard time believing that Rick Fox is as useless as phils made him.  just because phils not using options doesn't mean he couldn't be.  Instead he puts Kobe at the 3 for decent stretch. 

And the lakers did win some games when Karl was out earlier this year.  So obviously every coach couldn't take advantage.

Every weakness the lakers have larry's exploited.  Phil got served last night.
LOL @ got served.  Exploited every weakness?  That was, uhh the pick and roll.  I guess Phil Jackson has been served in every playoff series since he started with the Lakers then.  Ball pressure does not keep them from running the triangle.  Its the players decision to start the triangle.  Even late in the clock they can still run the triangle.  So again no.....that wasnt all LB.

Fox isnt in because he is still injured and PJ doesnt want to force him to play if he isnt going to be effective.  They talked about it in the local paper.

Ya Malone went out and who was his back up then ?  Ho Grant was the first off the bench.  Not Slava and Cook.  Big difference between winning against teams with power forwards who are less skilled than Ben Wallace and Sheed Wallace.
oh my God!

injuries shminjuries!
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Overrated
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2004, 10:23:47 AM »
second of all, the amount of pressure brown has been putting on the ballhandlers certainly does have an effect on the triangle.  this is really the only team he goes that far with, he did it in 2001 and he's doing it again.  it's affected the lakers bigtime.

Exactly.  I've been saying that for years after seeing the 2001 Sixers do that to the Lakers.

As far as being over rated, the East is still the JV conference.  The disgusting Lakers attitude has been a disgrace.  In all honesty the Spurs would not have let this happen.  They mentality of the Spurs players and coaching is blue collar and would not let arrogance become a factor and allow a clearly inferior team make a series out of the finals.  I think the Pistons would have had the same succes against the Wolves/Kings/Mavs.  They should not have that this type of sucess against an inside presence like Shaq/Duncan.

Simply disgusting.  The Lakers need to turn it around in game 4.  IMO whoever wins game 4 will win the series.
i was thinking the same thing Wow, if SA had been up against the pistons i think we would have had the worst defensive series ever in the finals, low scoring, and Spurs winning the finals.  

if La loses, this will be the biggest flop job ever IMHO...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Overrated
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2004, 10:30:23 AM »

i was thinking the same thing Wow, if SA had been up against the pistons i think we would have had the worst defensive series ever in the finals, low scoring, and Spurs winning the finals.  

if La loses, this will be the biggest flop job ever IMHO...
No doubt
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

rickortreat

Overrated
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2004, 11:15:45 AM »
Even though the Lakers took the WC championship, I think some of the other teams would do a much better job against Detroit.  No way, could Detroit stop Dallas from running and gunning,  and no way could Detroit score enough points to stay in a game like that.  Minnesota and San Antonio would also stretch Detroits defense much more than the Lakers.  

jn

Overrated
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2004, 11:21:31 AM »
HUGE props to Detroit.  They have really stepped up and taken it to the Lakeshow.  

Guest_Randy

Overrated
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2004, 11:42:07 AM »
MAJOR props to Detroit for stuffing it to the Lakers last night -- that was a CLASSIC butt kicking.

I LAUGH at all the people who say the Lakers are done -- but say it in a way that they can redeem themselves in case the Lakers do manage to come back.  The Lakers CAN come back, IMO, but they have to make some SERIOUS adjustments -- both offensively and defensively.  Last night was a break down of the offense that led to frustration on defense that sapped any emotion the Lakers had.  Does that mean they can't make adjustments?  Of course not but PJ is going to have to scrap the triangle for much of the game and he is going to have to make adjustments in the Lakers rotation.

1)  Take GP out of the starting job and make him EARN the right to be on the floor.  He not only isn't shooting well but is determined to go UNDER the pick and roll EVERY SINGLE TIME -- how many open shots did Chauncy Billups have last night -- I know I lost count!

2)  Tell Shaq to get Big Ben's autograph because he's been better than Shaq in the last two games.  Wallace has had 14 and 11 rebounds in the past two games while Shaq has had 7 and 8.  That's not going to cut it.  Shaq had zero block shots in game 3 and 1 in game 2.  Shaq is simply not moving on defense -- he is slow to move and that is going to cost the Lakers the series.

3)  Malone is HURT -- his lack of mobility hurt the Lakers yesterday and it would have been better to play players who don't have any experience than watch players drive around Malone (or watch the Lakers have to help and see an open player knock down the open shot).

4)  Start Luke Walton instead of Devean George.  Do I think Luke is going to have a ton of games like he did in game #2?  No, but I think he is a very smart ball player and it's not like the Pistons are a lightning fast team -- Luke can handle the assignment better than George can.  George has ZERO confidence in his shooting and how many times did you see George's man take a wide open shot because George was down in the paint trying to block a shot!  I'd rather see Rick Fox logging minutes at this point than Devean George!

Last -- props.  You really have to give Larry Brown and the Pistons their due.  First, the Pistons are playing GREAT team basketball.  Second, look at what Brown did (reminds me of a Lakers/Spurs series in the past) -- in game #1, he allows Shaq and Kobe to get theirs and pressures everyone else on the court.  The idea is to shake up the confidence of the Lakers shooters (and FORGET what Rick says, the Lakers shooters are much better than their Detroit counterparts -- the stats AND the past shows that).  However, if you can get the Lakers to have to try and hurry that release just a little, you can mess with their heads and get them to miss open shots later (because they will always be expecting that pressure).  Then, you start packing it in against Shaq -- make him try to move a little quicker than he wants to and shoot a little farther out than he is comfortable.  And then, in game #3, you double and triple Kobe -- put a small guy on him (just to enrage him) but let that guy merely be the beginning point -- you have one or two other guys go after him every time he has the ball.  Brown has done a GREAT job of coaching the Pistons -- it's time to see what adjustments that PJ (via Tex Winters) can make now).

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
Overrated
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2004, 12:17:47 PM »
One play last night summed up the whole game for me.

It's the fourth quarter, and the Lakers (well, Kobe at least) are expending a ton of energy to get the lead down to 12. Kobe literally is running himself ragged, swiping at every ball, banging qutie a bit on Billups, and actually making a couple of good steals.

The Lakers are pressuring the ball, and they get the steal, Kobe heads the fast break with numbers, slows down as he does when he's about to juke and go, and Lindsey Hunter comes up from behind and pokes the ball away. Probably the easiest steal Hunter had in his entire career. Kobe throws his arms out in frustration, runs down the on defense, gets beat by Billups on a quick backdoor cut, forcing Shaq to get his 5th foul.

The Pistons just never freakin' stop!

I haven't seen pressure this relentless since the Bulls and the Milk Money Lakers.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Overrated
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2004, 01:56:18 AM »
at least that's what some western conference fans called the pistsons defense during the start of the playoffs.  Claiming they had overinflated stats because of the weak eastern conference.

ask kobe bryant if the pistons defense is overrated.

The pistson are 3 minutes from holding the lakers to under 70 points, the first time that's been done to the lakers in the shot clock era.

Their a foul away from going from the sweep on sunday, and are completely dominating the series.

Maybe there were a few around here underrating the pistons defense, and frontcourt?

Phil Jackson just got served by larry brown, using every team weakness against them.  larry didn't run that many pick and rolls in 6 years in philly.
Detroits D is all around superb.  Also the shots you take on O effect how your transition D is set up.  Nothing but props to Detroit for that also.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Overrated
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2004, 06:58:40 AM »
mmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

the crow is cooking and i cant wait to taste it!!!

Good win by detroit last night, 3-1 lead.  Go Larry Go!!  one more game to go!  :D