Author Topic: Whats with the bad blood between Mitch/Shaq ??  (Read 1764 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Whats with the bad blood between Mitch/Shaq ??
« on: May 25, 2004, 06:47:54 PM »
It was generally agreed that the Timberwolves, playing to avoid a 2-0 deficit, brought more aggression to the court Sunday, holding O'Neal to 14 points and Malone to a career playoff-low five points, while pressuring Kobe Bryant to the point of inefficiency -- 24 shots to get 27 points.

"I had a subpar game," O'Neal said. "I had a Mitch Kupchak-ish type game."

:rofl:

Its funny how Shaq has so much pull on this team that he can seriously just run his mouth.......I do however agree that Mitch did very little to get GP and Malone to join the squad this year.  Which I think is what started this little beef.  Not that it was all Shaq but the fact that the team has Shaq and Kobe was the main factor in them deciding to come out west.  
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 06:48:24 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline RolandoBlackman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 09:38:58 AM »
Hey wk!  

Actually, I think that this has more to do with the Laker management hedging on the contract extension that 'The Big Aristotle' has demanded.  Shaq is always mindful of his bank...however, in a discussion with some of the Laker Nation here the other day, a scenario was presented to me that I had not even thought of which should instill fear in fans of other teams in the NBA.  Here it is:

The LAL wait for two more years without giving Shaq the extension...'Kobme' of course is now long gone, toiling in obscurity on the SuperSonics.  Mitch Kupchak, in the latest LAL masterstroke to get the dominant center of the league announces the signing of Yao Ming!  Not only that, but with the cap space cleared by not re-signing 'The Daddy', he simultaneously announces "the Return of  the Prodigal Son" with a chastened, humbled Kobe Bryant coming home, thus ushering in yet another era of LAL dominance.  See ya, Pachyderm...whoa.

-RB

Shaq #1

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 09:59:58 AM »
Hey wk!  

Actually, I think that this has more to do with the Laker management hedging on the contract extension that 'The Big Aristotle' has demanded.  Shaq is always mindful of his bank...however, in a discussion with some of the Laker Nation here the other day, a scenario was presented to me that I had not even thought of which should instill fear in fans of other teams in the NBA.  Here it is:

The LAL wait for two more years without giving Shaq the extension...'Kobme' of course is now long gone, toiling in obscurity on the SuperSonics.  Mitch Kupchak, in the latest LAL masterstroke to get the dominant center of the league announces the signing of Yao Ming!  Not only that, but with the cap space cleared by not re-signing 'The Daddy', he simultaneously announces "the Return of  the Prodigal Son" with a chastened, humbled Kobe Bryant coming home, thus ushering in yet another era of LAL dominance.  See ya, Pachyderm...whoa.

-RB

Shaq #1
You're probably speaking to the same ALLEGED Laker Nation members who bought into the scenarios of The Dream or David Robinson showing up in LA wearing a Lakers uniform.

The more likely scenario is the Lakers get behind Kobe and Shaq/PJ/Triangle leave LA withing a couple of years and the Lakers become a decent 2nd round exit playoff team.  I doubt the Rockets let Yao get away from them, players like him come around once in a generation BUT the MAIN reason the Lakers don't get Yao is because Jerry West is no longer the GM of the Lakers.  
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline RolandoBlackman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 02:13:18 PM »
Hey WoW!  

First of all, you have been generating some great posts today - I'm really enjoying being active in the group again!

While logic would dictate that your presumption that the Rockets would not let Yao get away would be the case, in fact this is not borne out by NBA history.  Look at how the Lakers got both Kareem from the Bucks AND Shaq from the Magic, and just when their careers were beginning to peak as well!    Jerry West was not piloting the ship when the Lakers got Abdul-Jabbar, BTW - it was the guy who had a LARGE influence on West and his management strategies, Bill Sharman.

TrueLaker QUESTION OF THE DAY: How many NBA titles between them do these two (Shaq, Abdul-Jabbar) have as Lakers team members?

Watch out...it (the Yao - Lakers scenario)  MOST DEFINITELY could happen.  Yao's fame (and bank) would multiply monstrously if he were based in L.A. rather than Houston.  Already, he has a pretty good media footprint outside the world of b-ball - think of how it would increase as a (the?) star of the WORLD"S BEST KNOWN  (and most popular )  BASKETBALL TEAM EVER!!!     Now Houston folks, don't get offended - I lived in Houston, I like it there.  But Houston compared to L.A. is like comparing Brownsville to Houston...sorry.

-RB

Shaq #1

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 02:16:56 PM »
Hey wk! 

Actually, I think that this has more to do with the Laker management hedging on the contract extension that 'The Big Aristotle' has demanded.  Shaq is always mindful of his bank...however, in a discussion with some of the Laker Nation here the other day, a scenario was presented to me that I had not even thought of which should instill fear in fans of other teams in the NBA.  Here it is:

The LAL wait for two more years without giving Shaq the extension...'Kobme' of course is now long gone, toiling in obscurity on the SuperSonics.  Mitch Kupchak, in the latest LAL masterstroke to get the dominant center of the league announces the signing of Yao Ming!  Not only that, but with the cap space cleared by not re-signing 'The Daddy', he simultaneously announces "the Return of  the Prodigal Son" with a chastened, humbled Kobe Bryant coming home, thus ushering in yet another era of LAL dominance.  See ya, Pachyderm...whoa.

-RB

Shaq #1
You're probably speaking to the same ALLEGED Laker Nation members who bought into the scenarios of The Dream or David Robinson showing up in LA wearing a Lakers uniform.

The more likely scenario is the Lakers get behind Kobe and Shaq/PJ/Triangle leave LA withing a couple of years and the Lakers become a decent 2nd round exit playoff team.  I doubt the Rockets let Yao get away from them, players like him come around once in a generation BUT the MAIN reason the Lakers don't get Yao is because Jerry West is no longer the GM of the Lakers.
No the main reason is because the most dominating player slash GM in the world wont make the calls.

:rolleyes:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 02:17:17 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 02:50:37 PM »
TrueLaker QUESTION OF THE DAY: How many NBA titles between them do these two (Shaq, Abdul-Jabbar) have as Lakers team members?

I'll True Laker it back at ya!

You have Laker titles and then you have LA Laker titles.

Kareem & Shaq have every LA Laker title except ONE between them.  

You get the same number using stars Magic & Kobe or using role players Cooper &(Fisher/Fox/George).

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"