Author Topic: The Draft  (Read 1551 times)

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
The Draft
« on: June 24, 2010, 11:51:35 PM »
Player I most want to see do well:  Greivis Vasquez.  It's the last benefit Memphis gets out of the Gasol-for-Brown debacle, and they use it on a guy who could teach Chris Wallace something about having heart (and 6@11$).  This guy was thrilled.  I hope he does well.

Team that won the draft:  Detroit.  I love the Greg Monroe pick (and was hoping he'd slip to us).

Biggest bone-head move:  Paul Allen, Blazers, for firing Pritchard *BEFORE* the draft.

Funniest moment:  The Clippers draft Al-Farouq Aminu, and the announcers immediately point out that he comes from a line of Nigerian kings.  Given the Clippers great success with their *LAST* Nigerian player (Michael Olowakandi), this is just begging for abuse.  Skander and I will now have plenty more Clippers/Nigerian/baboon jokes.  (It dates back to when I said Hakeem Olajuwon should play for the 1996 Nigerian basketball team instead of the U.S. Olympic team, and settle for the Silver.  Skander asked who would be Olajuwon's teammates, "eleven baboons?"  Since that time, we've looked to add other Nigerian players to Hakeem's team...Olowakandi, Soyoye (from Mizzou), and every time, we've been worried that if we add one of these guys, our team will end up short at baboon.  Can't take a risk like that just to get an Olowakandi....)

Worst draft:  Portland.  They get Babbitt and Ryan Gomes, but give up their starting small forward, Martell Webster.  Then they add some 2-guards who won't see the light of day behind Brandon Roy.  Awful.

Utah's picks:  Gordon Hayward at 9:  Wanted Monroe, but this isn't awful.  Might make a replacement for Kyle Korver.
Jeremy Evans at 25:  Very indifferent.  Not awful, but not inspiring, either. 
Over-all:  a solid C+.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: The Draft
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 09:03:53 AM »
Player I most want to see do well:  Greivis Vasquez.  It's the last benefit Memphis gets out of the Gasol-for-Brown debacle, and they use it on a guy who could teach Chris Wallace something about having heart (and 6@11$).  This guy was thrilled.  I hope he does well.

Team that won the draft:  Detroit.  I love the Greg Monroe pick (and was hoping he'd slip to us).

Biggest bone-head move:  Paul Allen, Blazers, for firing Pritchard *BEFORE* the draft.

Funniest moment:  The Clippers draft Al-Farouq Aminu, and the announcers immediately point out that he comes from a line of Nigerian kings.  Given the Clippers great success with their *LAST* Nigerian player (Michael Olowakandi), this is just begging for abuse.  Skander and I will now have plenty more Clippers/Nigerian/baboon jokes.  (It dates back to when I said Hakeem Olajuwon should play for the 1996 Nigerian basketball team instead of the U.S. Olympic team, and settle for the Silver.  Skander asked who would be Olajuwon's teammates, "eleven baboons?"  Since that time, we've looked to add other Nigerian players to Hakeem's team...Olowakandi, Soyoye (from Mizzou), and every time, we've been worried that if we add one of these guys, our team will end up short at baboon.  Can't take a risk like that just to get an Olowakandi....)

Worst draft:  Portland.  They get Babbitt and Ryan Gomes, but give up their starting small forward, Martell Webster.  Then they add some 2-guards who won't see the light of day behind Brandon Roy.  Awful.

Utah's picks:  Gordon Hayward at 9:  Wanted Monroe, but this isn't awful.  Might make a replacement for Kyle Korver.
Jeremy Evans at 25:  Very indifferent.  Not awful, but not inspiring, either. 
Over-all:  a solid C+.

You may want to keep your Howard Cosell "baboon" jokes very close to the vest.  The most interesting thing for me in the draft, and it was pretty much a given, was the 1st pick because of what could/will to happen with Arenas.  Based on injuries alone you don't draft to support him, but with the stupidity of last year's suspension, you could go as far as drafting just to replace him.  The #1 pick was a no-brainer so nothing could be surmised by their pick, still it will be interesting what's going happen to Agent "Less-Than" Zero.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"