Author Topic: Suns getting away with murder!!!  (Read 2582 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Suns getting away with murder!!!
« on: May 26, 2010, 12:36:06 AM »
I don't understand what the problem is with the Lakers.  The Suns do not have a legit shot blocker, nor is there perimeter defense anything to write home about yet they are neutralizing the Lakers offensive game and torching them on defense.  Soft zone with no shot blocking is a defense that should be murdered!!!

The Lakers are hardley getting any FT's because they have become a perimeter game, they are settling for the long outside shots way too much.  The Lakers were able to find the holes in the zone yet they get away from that and get into a 3 point shooting contest with the Suns and that is a contest they will lose 8 out of 10 times.

Not sure if the Lakers are not listening to the coaches or if the coaches are not sure how to attack the zone.  To me it looks like the players are not listening to the coaches and are happy to take the wide open shots they are given instead of driving to the basket and grinding it out with their big front line.

At least the Magic nutted-up and extended their series.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Re: Suns getting away with murder!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 06:51:10 AM »
Soft zone is geared to giving up the outside shot.  If people take what they're given, then you're playing into the hands of a defense - even if it's a bad defense.  Smart move by the Suns.  A shooting contest favors them, although not by much.  And if the shots bounce long, that favors Phoenix's run-and-gun style.

It's the free throw difference that is the story, though.  If the Lakers aren't attacking, they're not getting free throws.  When the other team takes 19 more free throws, makes 15 more, than you, that's a big gap to overcome.

Bottom line though is still this:  Phoenix is an offensive, run-and-gun kind of team.  Stop that, and you stop Phoenix.  And you do that by pounding the ball inside, no matter what defense they want to use.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 10:51:30 AM »
Joe is right of course, but I'm not sure if the Lakers have the skill set to bust a zone. Their inside players are too soft and their counterparts to big for the Lakers to be able to dump it inside.  Their ball handlers can't penetrate and dish and the inside player can't find a way to get open. They also don't have the outside shooters to stay with Phoenix. Kobe is still unstoppable, but he's not getting anything easy for his team-mates.  Artest is a liability because the Suns know he can't shoot a three, and playing a zone, means he can't put the ball on the floor.  Fisher is too spotty a player to be of much help.  The only one who can save them is Odom, but he'll need help to get going.

Kobe can't score and be the primary distributor, it makes defending the other Lakers too easy.

Phoenix isn't getting away with murder, they're playing team defense and it is killing the Laker offense. That is exactly what a good defense is supposed to do.  Don't think for a second that Boston didn't notice the Lakers problems scoring against a zone. something Boston can easily do.  BTW, Boston is built to bust a zone, that's what Ray Allen, Paul Pierce and Rondo are for.

Lakers misses translate into easy opportunities for the Suns bigs, who run the floor better.

Worst problem for the Lakers is that their 2nd team sucks, and Phoenix has a passable group.

Now, Phoenix has to be able to win one in LA. They have the formula, but do they have the will to impose themselves on the Lakers?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 12:25:29 PM »
Joe is right of course, but I'm not sure if the Lakers have the skill set to bust a zone. Their inside players are too soft and their counterparts to big for the Lakers to be able to dump it inside.  Their ball handlers can't penetrate and dish and the inside player can't find a way to get open. They also don't have the outside shooters to stay with Phoenix. Kobe is still unstoppable, but he's not getting anything easy for his team-mates.  Artest is a liability because the Suns know he can't shoot a three, and playing a zone, means he can't put the ball on the floor.  Fisher is too spotty a player to be of much help.  The only one who can save them is Odom, but he'll need help to get going.

Clearly you are not watching the games.  All anyone has talked about is how much BIGGER the Lakers are than the Suns.  The reason the Sun are going zone is because the Lakers are way too big and are just destroying the Suns inside becuase they have been dumping it inside and killing anyone the Suns can throw at them.  You are so way off the mark I wonder if I should put in any more effort....

Kobe can't score and be the primary distributor, it makes defending the other Lakers too easy.

That's what Kobe has been doing, he's been scoring and distributing at an amazing pace, the Lakers offense is doing enough to win but their defense sucks.  My problem with the Lakers offense is they are not getting enough FT's against the zone, the zone looks weak but the Lakers are playing into the 3 point shooting contest because they are not THINKING.  Even with this BS offense the Lakers should still be winning if they would put some effort in on defense.  The Lakers offense is ok but they left their "hustle" in LA.

Phoenix isn't getting away with murder, they're playing team defense and it is killing the Laker offense. That is exactly what a good defense is supposed to do.  Don't think for a second that Boston didn't notice the Lakers problems scoring against a zone. something Boston can easily do.  BTW, Boston is built to bust a zone, that's what Ray Allen, Paul Pierce and Rondo are for.

You just don't get it rick, you didn't even understand the title of this thread.  I'm bored....

Lakers misses translate into easy opportunities for the Suns bigs, who run the floor better.

Worst problem for the Lakers is that their 2nd team sucks, and Phoenix has a passable group.

Now, Phoenix has to be able to win one in LA. They have the formula, but do they have the will to impose themselves on the Lakers?

Blah.....
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 08:42:05 AM »

Clearly you are not watching the games.  All anyone has talked about is how much BIGGER the Lakers are than the Suns.  The reason the Sun are going zone is because the Lakers are way too big and are just destroying the Suns inside becuase they have been dumping it inside and killing anyone the Suns can throw at them.  You are so way off the mark I wonder if I should put in any more effort....

That's what Kobe has been doing, he's been scoring and distributing at an amazing pace, the Lakers offense is doing enough to win but their defense sucks.  My problem with the Lakers offense is they are not getting enough FT's against the zone, the zone looks weak but the Lakers are playing into the 3 point shooting contest because they are not THINKING.  Even with this BS offense the Lakers should still be winning if they would put some effort in on defense.  The Lakers offense is ok but they left their "hustle" in LA.

You just don't get it rick, you didn't even understand the title of this thread.  I'm bored....

Blah.....

I am watching the games but you aren't seeing it.  LA isn't that much bigger as Gasol and Bynum aren't any bigger or stronger than Stoudamire and Lopez, and they don't intimidate them. They aren't keeping the Suns from scoring in the paint or getting to the line, the Lakers are. By employing the zone the Suns are preventing LA's big men from getting the ball inside- they can't get open or find enough space for a safe entry pass to get in. That's why they aren't getting any foul shots, they aren't aggressive enough and can't get the Suns on their heels.  Neither Gasol or Bynum is great at getting an entry pass and the Laker guards aren't great at creating openings for their bigs that they can exploit.

The Lakers offense isn't doing nearly enough, because they can't stop the Suns more active players. The Suns are getting easy looks off of Laker misses, particularly those long rebounds from those missed outside shots are fueling the Suns fast break.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 02:05:29 AM »
Neither Gasol or Bynum is great at getting an entry pass

Seriously, WTF are you talking about here?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com