Author Topic: It's looking like another Lakers/Celtics finals.  (Read 2275 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
It's looking like another Lakers/Celtics finals.
« on: May 18, 2010, 02:59:35 PM »
Out of all the teams in the NBA, it's no coincidence that the two teams that are ahead in their series have a bigger front line than their opponents, and in fact have bigger front lines than the rest of the league.

In the NBA size does matter, because of rebounding, defense and scoring. Of course both teams have excellent small forward and guard play, but so do a lot of teams what separates them is the ability to put two 6'11" or taller players on the floor at all times, both starting and with backups.

In both opening games, the Celtics and Lakers were able to blow out their opponents, who couldn't score well enough to stay with them. They got more rebounds and 2nd chance shots, they got more calls going their way and drew more fouls inside on 2 and 1's.

This isn't to say the two losing teams can't come back, but they way they lost suggests that their defeat is inevitable. As for the finals match-up between the two, I give the edge to Boston. LA is a better team than last time, and the Celtics have gone through some changes, but The Celtics have Garnet, Perkins, Wallace and Big Baby Glenn Davis to match up with Gasol, Bynum, Odom and... oops, that's a 4-3 advantage to the Celtics and no-one on the Lakers can handle Big Baby.

Kobe is better than Pierce or Ray Allen, but the two of them together are as good or better than Kobe and the Lakers don't have anyone else with that level of talent.  At the point guard spot, Rondo will destroy Fisher on offense and give up points trying to defend him.

Artest adds a little toughness, but it won't make a difference to Wallace, Davis, Garnett or Perkins who are all much bigger players. When push comes to shove, who would win in an fight? The Lakers bigs are big enough to intimidate without playing physical, but Boston is as big and likes to play that way. 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: It's looking like another Lakers/Celtics finals.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 03:07:11 PM »
Out of all the teams in the NBA, it's no coincidence that the two teams that are ahead in their series have a bigger front line than their opponents, and in fact have bigger front lines than the rest of the league.

In the NBA size does matter, because of rebounding, defense and scoring. Of course both teams have excellent small forward and guard play, but so do a lot of teams what separates them is the ability to put two 6'11" or taller players on the floor at all times, both starting and with backups.

In both opening games, the Celtics and Lakers were able to blow out their opponents, who couldn't score well enough to stay with them. They got more rebounds and 2nd chance shots, they got more calls going their way and drew more fouls inside on 2 and 1's.

This isn't to say the two losing teams can't come back, but they way they lost suggests that their defeat is inevitable. As for the finals match-up between the two, I give the edge to Boston. LA is a better team than last time, and the Celtics have gone through some changes, but The Celtics have Garnet, Perkins, Wallace and Big Baby Glenn Davis to match up with Gasol, Bynum, Odom and... oops, that's a 4-3 advantage to the Celtics and no-one on the Lakers can handle Big Baby.

Kobe is better than Pierce or Ray Allen, but the two of them together are as good or better than Kobe and the Lakers don't have anyone else with that level of talent.  At the point guard spot, Rondo will destroy Fisher on offense and give up points trying to defend him.

Artest adds a little toughness, but it won't make a difference to Wallace, Davis, Garnett or Perkins who are all much bigger players. When push comes to shove, who would win in an fight? The Lakers bigs are big enough to intimidate without playing physical, but Boston is as big and likes to play that way. 

If Bynum was healthy I would put money on the Lakers.  Since the front court advantage will go to Boston IF they meet in the finals then the edge Rondo has over Fisher will be too much to overcome.  I think the Lakers still have a great shot at beating Boston with HC but I have to agree that Boston looks better than the Lakers.  Hopefully Bynum will be able to play solid minutes against Perkins because he is way too much for Odom to handle.  I like the Garnett/Gasol matchup for the Lakers offense but not so much on defense. 

I would not look past the Suns, despite the loss they had a very good game but they lost the effort plays and the Lakers got too many offensive rebounds for easy points.  I did not think the Magic could beat Boston before the series started and I think you saw the light in game 1.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 03:45:02 PM »
When i 1st looked at your thread title i misread as W.O.W. had been the 1st commenter but i read that as he was the thread starter.
So when i began reading i thought man! has W.O.W. gotten objective with his Lakers, I've got to give him props!
Then i saw it was you and it all makes sense now.

WOW is still very objective in response sans the "Kobme is better then Pierce and Ray Allen". 
2008 Finals W.O.W.  Pierce was much better.  We'll see who is much better.  ;)
Is Perkins the guy with the dirty rep?  He was pulling some b.s. on Shaq last series too.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 04:04:49 PM »
"I would not look past the Suns, despite the loss they had a very good game but they lost the effort plays and the Lakers got too many offensive rebounds for easy points.  I did not think the Magic could beat Boston before the series started and I think you saw the light in game 1."

I thought Orlando was a different story because of their ability to hit the outside shot.  Orlando was built on the idea of one big man surrounded by four three point shooters, force the inside double and pass to the man left alone.  Boston is defeating this strategy since they aren't doubling Howard. Carter and Nelson are still effective but Rashard Lewis and Matt Barnes are having problems dealing with Boston's size. The Magic can try playing Gortat with Howard, but they aren't used to playing together, also those are Orlando's only two big men, and if they both get into foul trouble the Magic are dead.

The Magic still have a chance as both Vince Carter and Jameer Nelson are capable of taking over a game with their scoring. They need to go to those two continuously to force Boston to double team them, to open things up inside for Howard and outside for Lewis and Barnes who need to be open to shoot. That would give them a chance, particularly since Jameer is a more physical guard than Rondo.  Still unless they play Gortat and Howard together, they have no chance of stopping Boston from scoring. On every play if the primary offensive player gets stopped, they pass the ball to the other big for an easy inside shot. Big Baby comes down gets the ball scores and gets fouled.

It is possible for the Magic to adjust, if Van Gundy is willing. Defeating Boston is a bit different from beating other teams, and requires an enhanced strategy. What is clear is that the Magic can't play their ordinary game and beat the Celtics. As things are they get too many 2nd chance shots and most of the boards. The Magic aren't getting enough open three-point looks to stay in the game. And with their bigs they can handle Howard with one and have the other take care of the boards.

Orlando paid a lot to keep Gortat this season and he was effective in limited minutes against the Celtics. They are going to need him to play a lot of minutes against the Celtics to beat them, and they'll have to do the same to have a chance against LA..

Wow didn't say Kobe was better than Pierce and Allen, I did. Kobe can drop 40 on a team any time he wants, Pierce and Allen are good for 30 but not 40. Kobe causes match-up problems same as Pierce, but LA has players to handle Pierce like Artest.

Perkins gets a dirty rap, but he plays the same role Rambis used to for Kareem. He's a good defender and rebounder and an opportunistic scorer. He plays physical but he's not dirty. Shaq didn't like someone being strong enough to stand up to him, oh well!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 05:03:27 PM »
I misread as Pierce and Ray Allen.  As in combined.  That would be Lakerish.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 07:36:14 PM »
I thought Orlando was a different story because of their ability to hit the outside shot.  Orlando was built on the idea of one big man surrounded by four three point shooters, force the inside double and pass to the man left alone.

The problem is Howard is one of the most over-rated players I've seen in a long time.  He is an excellent defender on and off the ball but that is it, he is extreemly limited on offense IMO.  It's a flawed idea to put 3-pt shooters around a guy like Dwight, that only works for a dominant big man like Shaq or Duncan.  The Magic can NOT rely on Dwight to open the game up unless he is getting the ball extreemly deep in the paint and even then there is not much I can expect from him unless he is close enough for a dunk.  The Magic are going to have to rely on Jameer and Vince to drive to the basket and collapse the defense in order to free up the shooters and get Dwight some point blank shots.

It will be interesting to see what adjustments the Magic make for game 2.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"