Author Topic: Celtics / Magic predictions  (Read 2171 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Celtics / Magic predictions
« on: May 15, 2010, 02:33:51 PM »
How do you take and why?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Celtics / Magic predictions
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 11:46:04 AM »
With these two teams i do not see a clear way to predict.  Vancil made some good points about Orlandos success being taking it inside or not.

Celtics are coming off a win vs Mike Brown, however coaches like Mike Brown and Popovich need at least 3 HOFers on their roster to advance and win a Championship.  So, while indeed Boston looked good vs Cleveland, Cleveland looked pretty pathetic.

Orlando looks great but they had two games in hand vs the Lakers in last years Finals, only to choke away both of them.  Sorry Laker posters, missing numerous FTs and then Jameer Nelson backing away to give Swisher a clear uncontested 3 pointer (when behind by 3 points) is not rrrrrrrraaaaagh tough Laker hoop.  Has Orlando grown a better mental pair for this playoffs?  Seems like it, not gonna put money on it tho.

I will listen to all of you.  :)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 01:01:50 PM »
I am going to wait until it's clear who is going to win and then make my prediction based around that like I always do.  This way I can always be right and never have to be wrong.  Don't be surprised when the Magic have a bad game from the field if I come in to tell you guys after the game they should have passed to Dwight more.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 01:04:22 PM »
My personal prediction is the Orlando Magic in 7.

I think age is going to be more of a factor in this series because the Celtics team defense is not getting a break like they did in the last round.  There are multiple weapons on this team that really need to be focused in on if they are going to beat them in a series.  Rondo doesn't get to play a scrub point guard like he did in the last round.  KG/Perk/Davis have to deal with a beast in the middle who is very mobile unlike Shaq and Z. 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 01:54:31 PM »
yawn
I am going to wait until it's clear who is going to win and then make my prediction based around that like I always do.  This way I can always be right and never have to be wrong.  Don't be surprised when the Magic have a bad game from the field if I come in to tell you guys after the game they should have passed to Dwight more.

Reality The Magic in the Finals again?  Up 2-0 and this R2 series vs Atlanta seems over already.
After last years choke job/Jameer Nelsons' throw job in the Finals, don't wanna see them again.   Or are they improved and if so how much?

After absolutely wasting ATL by 41 points in Gm 1, Orlando "wasted" ATL again in the second half of Gm 2 by 22 points (down 8 at halftime, won by 14).
Vince Carter out of the 1st Round.

westkoast  Arent you getting ahead of yourself a bit?  They are playing Atlanta, a team that struggled with a short handed Buc team, and not the real contenders out East.  I wouldn't leap frog the next round matchup against Cavs or Celtics.  The issue in years past where they would face a real beat up team coming out of a physically and mentally draining series doesn't quite apply with all this rest they'll be getting with these super stretched out days.
http://forums.phillyarena.com/index.php?topic=6157.0

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 04:17:51 PM »
How you think my quote telling you not to completely jump over the 3rd round somehow negates asking people for a prediction for a series going on right now, I do not know.  I told you not to completely write off the Cavs or Celtics based on the Orlando Magic sweeping the Hawks.  Doesn't change what is being said in here at all.  I wish you could explain to us how you thought that was worth bringing up.

What I do know is you are the king of the hindsight predictions.  You can weight in after a pivotal game 3 or 5 to let us know who will win Reality.  I am sure the entire board will be patiently waiting.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 06:18:32 PM »
Wow talk about some unfundamental hoop at the end of this game.
1.  88-83 Boston ahead defending Orl at 40 seconds left.
Brick trey by RLewis, O rebound, Jameer Nelson drives and misses the layup.  DHoward snags the rebound goes up for the semi-dunk-lay the ball over the rim.  Clock now at 27 ticks.  Boston either just let DHoward make the put in or, foul the crap out of him not in a Flagrant way -obviously- but in a way that he misses the put back.  Duh!  Do not foul him and let him make the shot for the 2+1 or 2+ a missed ft then offensive rebound.  Boston does neither, sure enough as DHoward is going up some Boston Bozo wraps his arms around Howards waist then lets go -too late- as Howard lays it in.  Ref miss the wrap call, major break for Boston.  88-85 26 seconds left.

2. ^^^ Inbound to Pierce, gets it upcourt, picks up dribble stalls, looks like Orl was gonna get him in a held ball or jump ball but alas Pierce (or someone on Boston) is granted the timeout.  Inbounds, Pierce fouled, sinks both.
90-85 12 seconds left.  Orlando uses timeout, inbounds from their side.  Over to Carter.  He kind of threatens to shoot a trey, does a good stop n go and bolts past the FT line down the side of the block.  KG is trying to shadow him.  I'm thinking either just let him make the shot, or if fouling, do so in such away just as above.  Fundamental Hoop 101, either foul him and make him miss the shot or do not foul at all.  KG instead fouls Carter in mid air, Carter, he being of the superb hang time indeed hangs, gets the off balance shot up which draws backboard and iron.  Altho he misses, why on Earth would KG let him have a fairly decent attempt at 2+1  ??? with only 9 flippin seconds to go.  Carter makes the 1st, misses the second and sure enough Jameer Nelson bolts from the arc wayy ahead of Ray Allen for the uncontested put back.  90-88! with 8 seconds left.
KG grabs the made ball as it falls from the net, Nelson is so excited he runs into KG and blocks KG from getting on the other side of the boundry line to inbounds the ball.  Looks like KG kind of just says screw it and maybe even before he stepped off the court to get out of bounds instead hurls it over to Ray Allen (while KG was still inbounds??).  Anywho i guess in this instance it balances out because Nelson was preventing KG from getting out. 

Anywho Allen makes both clutch FTs and Boston escapes.
Seems like Orlando has got to be encouraged by that comeback.

Fundamental hoops seems DOA in the NBA.