Author Topic: Regular Season Awards  (Read 5277 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Regular Season Awards
« on: April 15, 2010, 12:47:20 PM »
MVP - Lebron will most likely win but a case for Duran could be made.

COY - I would vote for McMillan in Portland, he's still the coach right?  That team has been decimated by injuries and they still made the playoff in the tougher WC.  The Mavs coach should be considered IMO (have no shot at trying to spell his name).

DPOY - The D is for Dwight, or so it would seem.

ROY - Tyrek in Sactown is a future star but a case can be made for my FNBA stud Curry.

6th Man ?

Most Improved ?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Regular Season Awards
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 01:56:02 PM »

MVP - Lebron will most likely win but a case for Durant could be made.  Can't really disagree with WOW.

COY - Scotty Brooks - call it the Durant consolation award

DPOY - The D is for Dwight, or so it would seem.  Again, no disagreement.

ROY - Blair, of course.   ;)   Seriously, Evans or Curry deserve it.  Jennings should get more consideration being a starter on a playoff team as a rookie.

6th Man - Crawford has torn it up in Atlanta.  Terry would also be a good choice.

Most Improved - George Hill.  Not as flashy as some others being mentioned but as a second year player his growth in shooting percentages, defense and floor management (running the point) should be recognized.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 02:15:48 PM »
MVP - Lebron will most likely win but a case for Duran could be made.

Def agree with this here.  Lebron has done a great job in every facet of the game and his team had a great year.  Durant is a real close second for me.  Looking back if he didn't play out of his mind this team has no chance of making the playoffs.  When one player makes such a huge impact they have to be in the top 2 slots for the MVP.  I'd say Kobe was a distant 3rd.  He had a number of game winners but his team is stacked and they really ended the season sputtering like they are old.

COY - Scott Brooks - They wouldn't have had this season if the whole team wasn't clicking.

DPOY - Honestly I can't name a player that I would say deserved this out right.  Howard seems like the 'I guess' choice but I can't call him Bill Russell Jr or anything.

ROY - Steph Curry the babyface assasin would get my vote

6th Man - I agree with Lurker on Terry, he is a big game changer and with Manu being out of it up until the last month.  I'd like to go with the homer Lamar Odom vote but he's still just too inconsistent.

Most Improved  - Blair from the Spurs this guy went from a questionable draft choice to one of the greatest players in NBA history
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 02:23:01 PM »
MVP  -  LeBron

COY  -  Sloan

DPOY  -  Howard

ROY  -  Tyreke Evans

6th Man  -  I would go with Manu, even though he did start 22 games.  If that is too many starts, then I will plug my nose and go with Jamal Crawford.  I have always thought Crawford was what is wrong with the NBA, but he did step into the 6th man role, and easily had his best season ever and Atlanta improved to third in the East.

Most Improved  -  Kevin Durant  (he doubled is total win shares, doubled his offensive WS, and doubled his defensive WS).  If not him then I would say Al Horford and then Marc Gasol, but lets be honest, Anthony Tolliver's improvement is the most stunning.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 03:40:11 PM »
MVP please

COY McMillan

DPOY Joe Vancil.  Oh it's not Defensive Poster of the Year?  Then Joe cannot supplant The Laker Boys n Cousin Lurker. 
Howard.

ROY Beasty Blair

6th Man and Most Improved:  what zig said.

Worst Coach of the Year:  Popovich

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 04:31:54 PM »
COY  -  Sloan

Please explain.  He didn't really come to mind as he has in years past.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 04:51:49 PM »
MVP:    1.  James,  2.  Durant.
COY:    I'm going with Scott Skiles here.  MILWAUKEE?  ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
DPOY:  Howard
ROY:     Sticking with my preseason pick - Tyreke Evans.  Have to give a nod to Jennings and Curry though.
6th Man:  Terry.  Ginobili's production came when he was a starter.
Most Improved:  How is it not Durant?   Bogut should get a notice, as well.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 04:53:32 PM »
COY  -  Sloan

There was one month there that I might have agreed.  But not for the year as a whole.  I still like my Skiles pick better.
Joe

-----------

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 04:56:34 PM »
COY  -  Sloan

There was one month there that I might have agreed.  But not for the year as a whole.  I still like my Skiles pick better.

Skiles was my second choice.  But as another thread mentions...none of us thought OKC would make the playoffs or win 50 games.  Thus my nod to Brooks for taking a young team and holding them together for 82 games.  The "durant consolation award" was tongue in cheek.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 05:43:10 PM »
COY  -  Sloan

Why is it assumed the reason that OKC did so well is because of what Scott Brooks did, or Milwaukee's improvement was because of Skiles?

OKC was so much better because Durant, Green, and Westbrook made big leaps forward, not necessarily because of what Brooks did. 

I think Skiles is a good coach, but he is one who probably needs to move on every 3-4 years, and he did a really nice job this year.  At the same time the improvement in Milwaukee was because Bogut finally stepped forward, and Brandon Jennings greatly exceeded expectations, and they got John Salmons cheap for a stretch run.

Nate McMillian did some good things in Portland, but I also see that same problems plaguing this team, and he hasn't addressed them.  I also think the way he treated Martell Webster was poor.  I am probably to close to that situation to be fair to him.

I chose Sloan because he doesn't have a top 15 guy on his team  (OK Deron Williams is probably around rthe very end of the top 15), and has had a lot of injuries and still always seems to put a very good team on the floor.  Now I have to admit I made my decision about Sloan in mid-March, when they were rolling over teams.  They went from 19-17 to 42-22 and then 50-26.  That was a streak of 82.1% and 77.5%.  That is a tremendous stretch without a player like LeBron, Kobe, D Wade, D Howard, Durant, or Shaq, Magic, MJ, Bird, Duncan, D Robinson on your team.  That in my mind is the measure of him as a coach.  Being present when Kevin Durant becomes great isn't necessarily a reflection of the quality of Scott Brooks as a coach.  The fact that PJ Carlesimo was stupid enough to play him at SG for a 1-1/3 seasons, slowing down his progress doesn't make Scott Brooks a genius.  Every member of this board said that it was stupid to play Durant at SG..  Should all of us be considered for an NBA coaching job?  Before you say "HELL YES", carefully think through the implications of that.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 05:47:27 PM »
Why is it assumed the reason that OKC did so well is because of what Scott Brooks did, or Milwaukee's improvement was because of Skiles?

OKC was so much better because Durant, Green, and Westbrook made big leaps forward, not necessarily because of what Brooks did. 
Thank you zig.  Particularly Brooks utter failure to address the meltdowns after having a comfortable lead.

The Boxscore Bettys who voted for Brooks probably saw nothing more then Durants highlights on espn.

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 12:52:33 AM »
COY  -  Sloan

I think Skiles is a good coach, but he is one who probably needs to move on every 3-4 years, and he did a really nice job this year.  At the same time the improvement in Milwaukee was because Bogut finally stepped forward, and Brandon Jennings greatly exceeded expectations, and they got John Salmons cheap for a stretch run.

Nate McMillian did some good things in Portland, but I also see that same problems plaguing this team, and he hasn't addressed them.  I also think the way he treated Martell Webster was poor.  I am probably to close to that situation to be fair to him.

I chose Sloan because he doesn't have a top 15 guy on his team  (OK Deron Williams is probably around rthe very end of the top 15), and has had a lot of injuries and still always seems to put a very good team on the floor.  Now I have to admit I made my decision about Sloan in mid-March, when they were rolling over teams.  They went from 19-17 to 42-22 and then 50-26.  That was a streak of 82.1% and 77.5%.  That is a tremendous stretch without a player like LeBron, Kobe, D Wade, D Howard, Durant, or Shaq, Magic, MJ, Bird, Duncan, D Robinson on your team.  That in my mind is the measure of him as a coach.  Being present when Kevin Durant becomes great isn't necessarily a reflection of the quality of Scott Brooks as a coach.  The fact that PJ Carlesimo was stupid enough to play him at SG for a 1-1/3 seasons, slowing down his progress doesn't make Scott Brooks a genius.  Every member of this board said that it was stupid to play Durant at SG..  Should all of us be considered for an NBA coaching job?  Before you say "HELL YES", carefully think through the implications of that.

Utah 3 Denver 1
I am stunned by this result right now, I thought Utah was out, maybe win 2 games max probably just 1 game.
This is why I picked Sloan for coach of the year.  He had
Williams 42 minutes
Boozer  40 minutes
Miles 42 minutes
Matthews 38 Minutes
Fesenko 29 minutes
Millsap  22 minutes
Korver  20 minutes

Wow, and Utah is beating Denver 3-1 in this series with that lineup.

AA Mil

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 09:38:19 AM »
With Okur out for the year with injury, Kirilenko still recovering, and Brewer and Maynor gone via trades, I have to admit I'm *ALMOST* as surprised as you are, ziggy.  However, there's one factor that you have to consider:  George Karl isn't there to coach Denver right now.  Instead, the coach is Adrian Dantley, and this is is first experience acting as head coach.

I still believe Denver is a smoke-and-mirrors team, and the reason they're as successful as they are is because George Karl is a smoke-blowing mirror-master.

Last night's Utah/Denver game really highlighted Utah's execution of pick-and-roll, and especially all the off-ball action when Utah goes to the pick-and-roll.  Sure, it's Boozer and Williams, but the amount of backdoor cuts they set up for all the other guys off of those pick-and-rolls is where Utah is really doing the damage.  It's pretty basketball to watch.

Unfortunately, I think we're done - whether this round or next is really somewhat irrelevant.  Without Okur, we don't have the depth we need to compete with anyone other than a team missing its coach.  Granted, we're awesome at executing what we do, and granted, that can carry you further than you should go, so yes, that gives us a puncher's chance.  But to do real damage, we needed to be in that other half of the bracket, I felt.  The two teams I don't like our matchups against are Denver and LA - and we're in the bracket with both of them.

Joe

-----------

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 10:13:03 AM »
Good point Joe.
I also want to and do prop Utah, but Denver is clearly not the same team without Karl.

Utah winning at Denver in Gm 2 is notable.  Jazz are horrific on the road, great at home.
Do the Utah fans still throw coins at the players on the bench?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 10:27:58 AM »
With Okur out for the year with injury, Kirilenko still recovering, and Brewer and Maynor gone via trades, I have to admit I'm *ALMOST* as surprised as you are, ziggy.  However, there's one factor that you have to consider:  George Karl isn't there to coach Denver right now.  Instead, the coach is Adrian Dantley, and this is is first experience acting as head coach.

I still believe Denver is a smoke-and-mirrors team, and the reason they're as successful as they are is because George Karl is a smoke-blowing mirror-master.

Last night's Utah/Denver game really highlighted Utah's execution of pick-and-roll, and especially all the off-ball action when Utah goes to the pick-and-roll.  Sure, it's Boozer and Williams, but the amount of backdoor cuts they set up for all the other guys off of those pick-and-rolls is where Utah is really doing the damage.  It's pretty basketball to watch.

Unfortunately, I think we're done - whether this round or next is really somewhat irrelevant.  Without Okur, we don't have the depth we need to compete with anyone other than a team missing its coach.  Granted, we're awesome at executing what we do, and granted, that can carry you further than you should go, so yes, that gives us a puncher's chance.  But to do real damage, we needed to be in that other half of the bracket, I felt.  The two teams I don't like our matchups against are Denver and LA - and we're in the bracket with both of them.

How do you feel the Jazz match up with the...err...uhmmm....Thunder?  >:(
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"