Author Topic: Larry Brown best rebuilder ever  (Read 16318 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Larry Brown best rebuilder ever
« on: April 13, 2010, 11:39:39 AM »
I also think he is one of the best coaches ever, but for this thread lets go with rebuilder.  Now the Bobcats 1st playoffs ever, altho they had only one way to go that being up. 

9 different teams to playoffs.
Clippers back to back.  (That should end any and all discussions about who is the greatest rebuilder, but i know there are some boardies who claim that was not a big deal.)   :D ::)
NCAA and NBA Championships
Philly and Detroit to Finals.

Downside.  His flirting with the Cleveland Cavs GM job while the Pistons were trying to upend the SuperSpurs in the 2005 Finals was mega bogus.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Larry Brown best rebuilder ever
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 01:39:26 PM »

Cool outfit Reality.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 08:54:38 PM »
After posts made about how Mike Dumbleavy should not have been able to keep his Clippers job and i posted about how idiotic it was to downplay Larry Browns playoffs with the Clippers.
Obvious response? 

westkoast 
It wasn't that huge of an accomplishment.  They had talent and barely squeaked in at 41-41.....

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 01:38:58 AM »
After posts made about how Mike Dumbleavy should not have been able to keep his Clippers job and i posted about how idiotic it was to downplay Larry Browns playoffs with the Clippers.
Obvious response? 

westkoast 
It wasn't that huge of an accomplishment.  They had talent and barely squeaked in at 41-41.....

Someday I wish you would understand that your comparisons are apples and oranges 95% of the time.  Dunleavy's situation over the past 3 years and Larry Brown's were different.  What's funny is you want to champion a 41-41 record and a first round spanking (even tho it was a dip from the year before) but completely ignore Dunleavy's 47-35 coaching season in which the Clippers made it to the second round of the playoffs.

And yes, I stand by what I said, put it in context instead of playing this dumb game you do where you bring up quotes people say out of context.  You purposely don't post the thread link because you know the context the quotes you are pulling in.    You tried to make it sound like one of the biggest feats ever to be done in the NBA.  That team had talent and they got into the playoffs at .500 hardly the craziest feat of all time.    Btw, he didn't build that team nor did he rebuild it.  He just was more competent than the crappy coach they had before.  A squad with Danny Manning (in top form), Doc Rivers, Charles Smith, and Ron Harper is hardly a 'scrub' team.  Having those players in the prime of their career and going 41-41 isnt not as big as you tried to make hence my response. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 01:51:58 AM by westkoast »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 08:43:11 AM »
Brown didn't build or rebuild in SA either.  He took over the team in the season after Robinson was drafted but before he joined the team.  So Brown led the Spurs to a 21 win season.  Add rookies Robinson and Elliott and the team is "built"...and Larry deserves little to no credit.  He wasn't even with the organization when DRob was drafted and had little input into the management decisions while he was here.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 08:52:29 AM »
Dunleavy's situation over the past 3 years and Larry Brown's were different.  What's funny is you want to champion a 41-41 record and a first round spanking (even tho it was a dip from the year before) but completely ignore Dunleavy's 47-35 coaching season in which the Clippers made it to the second round of the playoffs.
awww.  Wu donwt wike being quoted, do wuuu?

Dumbleavys team should have been at least WCFs.  The second round punking was lame.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 10:31:03 AM »
Dunleavy's situation over the past 3 years and Larry Brown's were different.  What's funny is you want to champion a 41-41 record and a first round spanking (even tho it was a dip from the year before) but completely ignore Dunleavy's 47-35 coaching season in which the Clippers made it to the second round of the playoffs.
awww.  Wu donwt wike being quoted, do wuuu?

Dumbleavys team should have been at least WCFs.  The second round punking was lame.

Ignoring the whole rest of the post because I am right only to try to nitpick one little part but instead making yourself look like an ass, CLASSIC Reality lol

I dont care about being quoted.  Its just really annoying to everyone around here when you quote people out of context.  My comment that you quoted had nothing to do with 'rebuilding' teams.  It was putting into perspective that a team with Ron Harper, Danny Manning, Doc Rivers, and Charles Smith going 41-41 isnt that crazy.  That doesn't take away from what he has been able to do in the last decade with the Pistons and how he is slowly turning around the Bobcats.  See Mr. I want to debate basketball but don't really follow it he actually had a hand in getting the right pieces in Detroit (He threw his weight around to get Sheed) and down with his buddy MJ in Charlotte.  That wasn't the case in SA or LA.  On top of that you can't credit him for rebuilding the Clippers when he was there for a season and a half.

Dunleavy's team lost to the Phoenix Suns, whom were a MUCH better team than they were.  I really don't see why you think they should have made it to the WCF other than you are once again talking out of your rear end.    Steve Nash in his prime vs Sam Cassell?  You can't be serious.  Or maybe you are serious but you just don't follow basketball very much but constantly want to debate it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 10:35:39 AM by westkoast »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 10:38:52 AM »
Boow hooo i wasth misthquoted.
No you were not.
Shut yer piehole!  :D

If the subject is Larry Brown rebuilding, why would you want to pick one year and put some lame negative spin on it.  Same with Lurker and his bringing up the Brown on the Spurs.
Back to Browns 41-41 it was his 2nd year in a row taking the Clippers to the playoffs.  What other coach has done that?
"I want to discuss basketball" you claim.
Discuss the underlined.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 11:40:10 AM »
Boow hooo i wasth misthquoted.
No you were not.
Shut yer piehole!  :D

If the subject is Larry Brown rebuilding, why would you want to pick one year and put some lame negative spin on it.  Same with Lurker and his bringing up the Brown on the Spurs.
Back to Browns 41-41 it was his 2nd year in a row taking the Clippers to the playoffs.  What other coach has done that?
"I want to discuss basketball" you claim.
Discuss the underlined.

This whole post is like trying to put icing on a turd.  You can't start off being a moron then try to save face by saying 'discuss underlined'.  You don't want to discuss basketball.  You just want attention.  If you quoted me in context and I was talking about 'rebuilding' then why don't you post the link to the thread you got it from instead of just copy and pasting the text to try to twist it around?

No other coach has taken the Clippers to back to back playoff appearances but again, that doesn't mean he 'rebuilt' the team.  I think maybe you are having a problem understanding the topic you brought up yourself.   He was there for a season and a half.  Not enough time to build up or rebuild anything.  Unlike so many coaches after him, he was lucky enough to not catch an injury to key players that side lined them for large chunks of time because he was there for such a short time.  On top of that he didn't stay around long enough for Donald Sterling/Elgin Baylor to ruin the team by letting people slide out to free agency or by making bad trades.  Being a better coach than the person previously in your spot is just ONE part of rebuilding, not the one and only part.  See he didn't actually have a hand in getting Ron Harper, Charles Smith, Doc Rivers, or Danny Manning.   Sadly I have to explain this to you AGAIN but in San Antonio and in Los Angeles he was not making personnel moves or being asked about deals.  In Detroit and in Charlotte he was/is.  There is a difference between those two, please put your thinking cap on and try to understand this simple point.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 11:52:43 AM by westkoast »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 11:59:55 AM »
So now Browns accomplishment at Clipperville is downplayed "because he didn't rebuild the team."
Right on Rad.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
So now Browns accomplishment at Clipperville is downplayed "because he didn't rebuild the team."
Right on Rad.

Jesus christ.......

#1 This thread is about rebuilding so since he didn't rebuild the Clippers it shouldn't even be mentioned in this thread

#2 The reason it was downplayed from your over the top hyping, ORIGINALLY IN THE THREAD YOU QUOTED ME FROM, is because he had talent on the team and they finished .500.  Sorry I don't want to make it sound like winning an NBA championship like you do.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 12:09:37 PM »
No, taking the Clippers to back to back playoffs is pretty much an accomplishment equal to a title with much more skilled teams.
In some years, it excells.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
Larry Brown as Clipper coach.

Took over in middle of 1991-92 season and went 23-12.  Then the best thing to explain how good Larry is at "rebuilding" comes from the Clippers' history on N BA.com.

Coach Larry Brown loved to tinker with his roster and he and Elgin Baylor made some adjustments before the 1992-93 season. In a three-team deal, the Clippers acquired former Rookie of the Year Mark Jackson from New York and big center Stanley Roberts from Orlando. The price was a sore-kneed Charles Smith and veteran point guard Doc Rivers. Brown also brought in big John Williams from Washington.

The season started off well enough. They were five games above .500 in mid-December. The starting unit was Jackson and Ron Harper in the backcourt, Roberts at center, Danny Manning and Ken Norman at forward. The bench was capable with Loy Vaught, Gary Grant, Kiki Vandewegh and the newly acquired Williams. Manning had a career year. He scored almost 23-points a game and was named to the Western Conference All-Star team.

And this was his "great" season of rebuilding that ended 41-41. 

So in recap; LB took a team in midseason and guided them to wins in 65% of their games.  He then "tinkered" with the roster and guided them to winning 50% of their games.  And I thought building...or rebuilding...a team would indicate an improvement in their record.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 12:46:06 PM »

Took over in middle of 1991-92 season and went 23-12.  Then the best thing to explain how good Larry is at "rebuilding" comes from the Clippers' history on N BA.com.

Coach Larry Brown loved to tinker with his roster and he and Elgin Baylor made some adjustments before the 1992-93 season. In a three-team deal, the Clippers acquired former Rookie of the Year Mark Jackson from New York and big center Stanley Roberts from Orlando. The price was a sore-kneed Charles Smith and veteran point guard Doc Rivers. Brown also brought in big John Williams from Washington.

The season started off well enough. They were five games above .500 in mid-December. The starting unit was Jackson and Ron Harper in the backcourt, Roberts at center, Danny Manning and Ken Norman at forward. The bench was capable with Loy Vaught, Gary Grant, Kiki Vandewegh and the newly acquired Williams. Manning had a career year. He scored almost 23-points a game and was named to the Western Conference All-Star team.

So in recap; LB took a team in midseason and guided them to wins in 65% of their games.  He then "tinkered" with the roster and guided them to winning 50% of their games.  And I thought building...or rebuilding...a team would indicate an improvement in their record.

I also stand corrected for the record.  I don't remember there being talk of Larry Brown making personnel changes in Clipper land.  In the local 'history books' everything has been pegged on Elgin Baylor for bad moves and Donald Sterling for not putting forth enough effort to keep talent around.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 02:29:24 PM »

I also stand corrected for the record.  I don't remember there being talk of Larry Brown making personnel changes in Clipper land.  In the local 'history books' everything has been pegged on Elgin Baylor for bad moves and Donald Sterling for not putting forth enough effort to keep talent around.

FYI: The Clippers were lauded and all their past sins were forgiven for aquiring Stanley Roberts in that trade.  What people tend to forget is that the Clippers passed on Stanley Roberts in draft in favor of a guy named LeRon Ellis (I think) who quickly faded away in to the land of failed Clippers draft choices.  Stanley has his moments and nobody knew how good Mark Jackson would be because Rod Strikland surplanted him in NYC.  JoHn Williams was a fantastic player, his problem was he made Oliver MIller look like Mr. Universe.  I think John Williams problem with his weight came from a knee injury.  Before the injury his build reminded me of Rick Mahorn, but after getting hurt he really let himself go and never got back in shape.  Those where fun days.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"