Author Topic: Serge Ibaka, role player with future on playoff team  (Read 4748 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Serge Ibaka, role player with future on playoff team
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 03:33:55 AM »
Blowhard,
c. For goaltending to occur, the ball, in the judgment of the official, must have a chance to score.

Which it did not.
The ref I'm consulting with concurs that as the rule states, once the ball has touched the rim (as it had), it now becomes a judgement call by the official as to whether or not the ball had a chance to score.
The replays clearly show the ball about to fall outside of the hoop.

That part of the rule is in reference to the ball coming down.  You can't call a goal tend on a ball making its way down if it was 3 feet right of the rim.  You are either not fully understanding the way the rule is written or you are purposely trying to misinterpret what they mean in the rule book.

A ball that is above the cylinder only has to be above the cylinder.  It doesn't have to have a clear chance of going in.  Again, this comes back to making calls in real time and not sitting at home watching replays on your tv.  How would a ref know in real time if a ball above the cylinder would or would not go in had it not been touched?  You have watched enough basketball to know that you can spin the ball, it can bounce around, and all kinds of other weird things.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 03:35:59 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 07:44:19 AM »
Blowhard,
c. For goaltending to occur, the ball, in the judgment of the official, must have a chance to score.

Which it did not.
The ref I'm consulting with concurs that as the rule states, once the ball has touched the rim (as it had), it now becomes a judgement call by the official as to whether or not the ball had a chance to score.
The replays clearly show the ball about to fall outside of the hoop.

YOU ARE NOT ONLY WRONG, YOU ARE AN IDIOT.

Your argument presumes that *EACH* condition must be met in order for goaltending to occur.  That is not the case.  The reason?  It *CANNOT* be the case, because there's no way that EVERY condition there can be met.  Secondly, you're using a "judgement call" provision when - surprise, surprise - NEITHER OF OUR OPINIONS COUNT.  *IF* the call is a judgement call, you don't get to question it;  the referee's say is final, because it's *HIS* judgement.

Finally, I don't believe for a moment that you consulted with any referee.  I think you made it up, because what people like you TYPICALLY do is try to *LIE* your way out of situations like this when you're in over your head.  I want *PROOF* that you consulted with a referee.  And I'm not talking about someone who calls basketball games for kids at church....even *I* do that.  Someone who has refereed at a minimum level of Division 1 NCAA basketball - someone whose *NAME* will be of public note - someone who can be *VERIFIED*.

I have given you *WAY* too much respect over the years, all for the sake of keeping a little peace on this board.  That just ended.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 07:46:26 AM »
...or you are purposely trying to misinterpret what they mean in the rule book.

Ladies and Gentlemen, WE HAVE A WINNER!

Joe

-----------

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 11:41:58 AM »
YOU ARE NOT ONLY WRONG, YOU ARE AN IDIOT.
I've been told so by other drivers on the freeway.  As they told me this they waved their hand at me only backwords.  And with one finger up. 
I have made vast improvements on my driving habits, but i can get better and i am making a serious continual effort to do so.

Your argument presumes that *EACH* condition must be met in order for goaltending to occur.  That is not the case.  The reason?  It *CANNOT* be the case, because there's no way that EVERY condition there can be met.  Secondly, you're using a "judgement call" provision when - surprise, surprise - NEITHER OF OUR OPINIONS COUNT.  *IF* the call is a judgement call, you don't get to question it;  the referee's say is final, because it's *HIS* judgement.
I'm going to wait till my NBA ref in training has viewed the play.  His level is NBA Developmental League (NBDL including Long Beach which for a spell had Dennis Rodman), NBA preseason games including Lakers vs Golden State in San Diego (he said Derek Swisher was very nice), and numerous NCAA D1 games, altho none of the huge games nor NCAA tourney games.  More like local Univercity of San Diego vs San Diego State.
  Hey, I'm more then willing to concede he may view the play and say it was a correct basket interference call.  But he said and i quote "It (the ruling) changes after the ball hits the rim".
Until then I'm not convinced.  Timing?  It's a logistics issue as i have been in Okla City (for reals, mega woohoo!) and he does not record Laker games nor do i at present have a disc of the game.  I do have it in my DVR but now to either get it to disc (me = technomologically challanged) or get he over which is difficult with his schedule.
A *huge* help would be if one of us could find a YouTube or such of the exact play on the web.  Preferablly not one of the whole game which takes too much time to dl.

Finally, I don't believe for a moment that you consulted with any referee.  I think you made it up, because what people like you TYPICALLY do is try to *LIE* your way out of situations like this when you're in over your head.  I want *PROOF* that you consulted with a referee.  And I'm not talking about someone who calls basketball games for kids at church....even *I* do that.  Someone who has refereed at a minimum level of Division 1 NCAA basketball - someone whose *NAME* will be of public note - someone who can be *VERIFIED*.
Will not change the fact that i consulted with him one iota.  I'm going to pass over the "people like me LIE" comment because i think you were just upset when you wrote it.  I have *NO* reason to make *ANY* of this up, and have *PLENTY* of reasons to be truthful, which i was and am.

I have given you *WAY* too much respect over the years, all for the sake of keeping a little peace on this board.  That just ended.
You have given me respect over the years and i completely appreciate that.  At one time I was gonna offer to fly all of us out to SoCal for a group meet and game, not that you would want to be treated because i realize and respect that you have your own education and means.
Skandery too, you have both been repectful to me over the years. 
Lately, i do not think you have been nor have you been doing it for the "peace on the board."  Specifically this thread and the one on Larry Brown, my sole intent was to prop Larry Brown and on this one call Serge for exactly what he is.  No need to change any of that.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 11:49:35 AM »
Serge Ibakas contributions to the Game 4 110-89 OKC blowout of The Kobies:

16 minutes over half in the 1st half
8 pts (3-5 fgs 2-2 fts)
6 boards (3 O)
2 sweet blocks
excellent interior D

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 06:37:11 PM »
You have given me respect over the years and i completely appreciate that.  At one time I was gonna offer to fly all of us out to SoCal for a group meet and game, not that you would want to be treated because i realize and respect that you have your own education and means.

Actually, a couple of weeks ago, I was talking about flying out to San Diego for a week, simply because I've never been there, and would like to see the place.  Also had a possibility of going back to New York for a get-away.  Or up to Calgary and then on to Lake Louise.  Right now, I simply need a break;  a week away from the office and everything else going on around here - a chance to re-charge my batteries after the Upward season and before the Greyhound season.

Unfortunately, it's not going to happen.  I can't leave work right now (people gone this coming week, training on the new tracking system the next week), and once May 15th gets here, my Greyhound practices for the Show-Me State games start up, meaning I'm going to be around here until late July.  And then today, I just found out that my Mom's health isn't so hot right now.
Joe

-----------