Author Topic: Milwaukee Bucks?!?!  (Read 2636 times)

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
Milwaukee Bucks?!?!
« on: March 31, 2010, 09:17:23 AM »
Did ANYONE see this explosion coming from the Bucks?  This is one of the most improbable stretches I can remember.  If this had happened at the beginning of the season it wouldn't have been so surpising.  Teams often start fast then fade as NBA reality sets in,  ala the Kings this year.   With Milwaukee this is happening at crunch time and the catalyst was the acquisition of John freakin' Salmons?  Say whaaa??/

And since they are Milwaukee they get no TV time so I don't really know much about them.  Jennings is obviously very talented, Bogut has apparently really stepped it up and Stackhouse and Salmons can put the ball in the hole but that's it.   I don't understand how they are winning with Luke Ridnour, Carlos Delfino and a bunch of people I've never heard of.

P.S.  Ok yeah, I've been hearing about Charlie Bell since he was a high schooler but that  just proves my point.  Their winning with CHARLIE BELL?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 09:19:30 AM by jn »
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Milwaukee Bucks?!?!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 09:35:23 AM »
I personally didn't.  Skiles is also coaching over his head.  I never thought he was a 'bad' coach but certainly I didn't think he was a great coach either.  He deserves some credit in really getting these guys playing in his system and believing in themselves.

If you look at their schedule over the last 10-15 they haven't really played any quality teams outside of Denver.....but then you realize they themselves are not really considered a quality team (at least prior to this barrage) .
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 10:38:12 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 09:56:31 AM »
I was wondering about the caliber of the competition wk.  Thanks for saving me the time of looking that up.  ;D 

Skiles is a capable coach.   The question will be whether he will quickly wear out his welcome as he did in Chicago.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 10:45:46 AM »

Skiles is a capable coach.   The question will be whether he will quickly wear out his welcome as he did in Chicago.

Skiles is a good coach...for 2-3 seasons.  Then he starts to grate on his players.  He is like Sloan in that he DEMANDS hard work when you are on the floor and has a no nonsense approach. 

The Bucks dealt with injuries early in the season but showed glimpses of this type of success last year.  Bogut is underated...being Autrailian and all...but puts up very solid numbers (16/10).  He was averaging a double double (11/10) last year before going down with injury.  Also IMO the reason Salmons/Stackhouse have helped this team to the winning streak is because after Redd was lost there was no scorer.  This team has no superstar but Skiles has everyone understanding their roles for now.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 11:08:35 AM »

Skiles is a good coach...for 2-3 seasons.  Then he starts to grate on his players.  He is like Sloan in that he DEMANDS hard work when you are on the floor and has a no nonsense approach. 

How sad is it that a coach wears on players making MILLIONS per year for wanting them to earn every dollar?  What's worse is people around the league somewhat condone it.   Imagine getting a pass for ignoring your manager because he grates on you to work lol
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 09:45:15 AM »
I certainly didn't see this coming from Milwaukee - especially since Redd went down.

Now I've been a big Bogut fan for a while, and I've always liked Delfino, but I questioned their wisdom in selecting Jennings.  Did he thrive just because there's not a lot there to challenge him, or is he the real deal?  I still am not sure.

As for Skiles, there's a difference between him and Sloan;  Sloan started as an assistant, blessed by the beloved former coach, obeyed without question by his star players - demanding of teammates in their own right and setting an example of what "hard work" actually meant, who then went on to play for a decade plus under him while being involved on things like the Dream Team, and each being a career leader in something.  By the time Sloan no longer had them, he was near the top of all-time tenure - more like a college coach than like a pro coach.  And in the end, Skiles got his first NBA job by throwing the head coach who he was assisting under the bus;  Sloan thanked Frank Layden when he passed a coaching milestone.  And finally, Sloan made his case by being an All-Defensive Team selection, respected as a player, and known for his hardnosed play, and demanding that his players play that same way, whereas Scott Skiles as a player was a weak-defending, unremarkable (except for his 30-assists-in-a-game-record) pansy.

Translation - Skiles talks the talk, but Sloan walked the walk.

In the end result, if Sloan is a jerk, fine, he's a jerk - but he's a *REAL* jerk, whereas Skiles is a two-faced jerk.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 12:17:30 PM »
I certainly didn't see this coming from Milwaukee - especially since Redd went down.

Now I've been a big Bogut fan for a while, and I've always liked Delfino, but I questioned their wisdom in selecting Jennings.  Did he thrive just because there's not a lot there to challenge him, or is he the real deal?  I still am not sure.

As for Skiles, there's a difference between him and Sloan;  Sloan started as an assistant, blessed by the beloved former coach, obeyed without question by his star players - demanding of teammates in their own right and setting an example of what "hard work" actually meant, who then went on to play for a decade plus under him while being involved on things like the Dream Team, and each being a career leader in something.  By the time Sloan no longer had them, he was near the top of all-time tenure - more like a college coach than like a pro coach.  And in the end, Skiles got his first NBA job by throwing the head coach who he was assisting under the bus;  Sloan thanked Frank Layden when he passed a coaching milestone.  And finally, Sloan made his case by being an All-Defensive Team selection, respected as a player, and known for his hardnosed play, and demanding that his players play that same way, whereas Scott Skiles as a player was a weak-defending, unremarkable (except for his 30-assists-in-a-game-record) pansy.

Translation - Skiles talks the talk, but Sloan walked the walk.

In the end result, if Sloan is a jerk, fine, he's a jerk - but he's a *REAL* jerk, whereas Skiles is a two-faced jerk.

Good analysis, Joe, of the differences between Sloan and Skiles.  I didn't mean to imply that they were equals just using Sloan as an example of what he demands from his players.  I think there are others also: Pop, Jackson, Riley.  But as you mention re: Sloan, these guys have had players that bought into their systems, won and they earned respect.  Skiles hasn't done that yet.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues