• AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Re: Blair
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2010, 08:08:59 AM »
Lurker,

Well, for the record, *I* think Popovich is overrated.  I think his offense isn't all that good, and defensively, I think he's a few steps behind quite a few folks out there.  I think he's been blessed with Duncan, which glosses over a lot of mistakes, and I think that over the past few years, he's under-utilized Duncan in favor of Parker, and I consider that a mistake.

But even Mike Dunleavy wins games when he has a good team.

The Spurs NOT A PLAYOFF TEAM?  No way.  Sure, they may have slipped a few notches.  But based on TALENT, FAMILIARITY, and TRADITION, they're a playoff team.  It's part of the franchise DNA.  You don't count them down and out that quickly.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2010, 09:14:10 AM »
Joe, I know you think Pop is overrated.  Mostly because he has been "blessed" with Duncan.  But name any coach with multiple rings that you couldn't say the same thing about.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2010, 01:36:58 PM »
Joe, I know you think Pop is overrated.  Mostly because he has been "blessed" with Duncan.  But name any coach with multiple rings that you couldn't say the same thing about.

Phil Jackson!!! DUH!  If you exclude his time with Jordan, Shaq, and Kobe then it's clear that Phil Jackson has the ability to ...uhmm....
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2010, 10:07:01 AM »
And that HORRID Spurs team that you "foresaw," *MUCH*, much later in the season?  How did they do today?

Won against the Lakers.  Oh.  Must have been at home.  No?  Oh, then a great game by Dalem-Blair?  2 points, 1 rebound in less than 10 minutes?  Oh.  Must have been a great game from Tony Parker, huh?  What do you mean, he's out?  So who was it.  Ginobili?  The guy who *I* said just a couple of weeks ago should be starting, but you argued was better coming off the bench, because that's where he's comfortable?

And *YOU'RE* the Spurs fan?

So - once again - how is it that you picked this team *OUT* of the playoffs...EVER?
You really are butthurt over your failed predictions for OKCity.

Trying to discredit Blair because Popazit failed to play him.  Now *THAT* is *LAME*.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2010, 11:05:56 AM »
[/quote

Daly.  For certain, he never had the best player in the league.

Riley (only because of the one ring in Miami, but still.)

And I can think of several others - just not with MULTIPLE rings.  Then again, Auerbach (Russell), Riley (Abdul-Jabbar/Magic), Jackson (Jordan, Shaq, Kobe), Popovich (Duncan), Tomjanovich (Olajuwon), and Jones (Bird) are the only ones who come to mind (other than Daly) who won multiple titles.  Oh...and Hannum (Chamberlain).  And each of those had (arguably) the best player in the NBA.

Joe

-----------

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2010, 11:18:09 AM »
And that HORRID Spurs team that you "foresaw," *MUCH*, much later in the season?  How did they do today?

Won against the Lakers.  Oh.  Must have been at home.  No?  Oh, then a great game by Dalem-Blair?  2 points, 1 rebound in less than 10 minutes?  Oh.  Must have been a great game from Tony Parker, huh?  What do you mean, he's out?  So who was it.  Ginobili?  The guy who *I* said just a couple of weeks ago should be starting, but you argued was better coming off the bench, because that's where he's comfortable?

So - once again - how is it that you picked this team *OUT* of the playoffs...EVER?

Trying to discredit Blair because Popazit failed to play him.  Now *THAT* is *LAME*.

I'm not discrediting him because Popovich didn't play him.  I'm discrediting him because he did nothing productive when he *WAS* played.  There's a difference.
Joe

-----------

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2010, 11:48:24 AM »

Daly.  For certain, he never had the best player in the league.

Riley (only because of the one ring in Miami, but still.)

And I can think of several others - just not with MULTIPLE rings.  Then again, Auerbach (Russell), Riley (Abdul-Jabbar/Magic), Jackson (Jordan, Shaq, Kobe), Popovich (Duncan), Tomjanovich (Olajuwon), and Jones (Bird) are the only ones who come to mind (other than Daly) who won multiple titles.  Oh...and Hannum (Chamberlain).  And each of those had (arguably) the best player in the NBA.

Larry Brown and the Pistons.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2010, 01:09:34 PM »

And since when was "multiple" the same as "one"?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2010, 02:45:15 PM »

I'm not discrediting him because Popovich didn't play him.  I'm discrediting him because he did nothing productive when he *WAS* played.  There's a difference.

So Blair plays 9 minutes in a 20 point blowout, and you're complaining about his play?  As if it offsets the body of work Blair has done all season long, including his last couple games.  This coming from a guy who whines when i didn't make a new thread for Dick Jefferson over just the opposite, a good game or two out of 70.  (This was three weeks ago, Jefferson has since then picked it up from "abysmal" to "above average" -as well he should have all season long.

Obvious you are just butthurt over the OKCity predictions.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2010, 03:59:24 PM »

And since when was "multiple" the same as "one"?

Missed the "multiple" part.  I blame Joe V's horrid use of the "quote" feature for that over sight.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2010, 05:05:33 PM »

So Blair plays 9 minutes in a 20 point blowout, and you're complaining about his play?  As if it offsets the body of work Blair has done all season long, including his last couple games.  This coming from a guy who whines when i didn't make a new thread for Dick Jefferson over just the opposite, a good game or two out of 70.  (This was three weeks ago, Jefferson has since then picked it up from "abysmal" to "above average" -as well he should have all season long.

Obvious you are just butthurt over the OKCity predictions.

So you are just going to lie?

The game wasn't a 19 point blow out until the 4th was winding down.  MOST of the game was in the 10 point range.  Hardly a blow out against any NBA team.  In fact with 10 minutes left in the game the Spurs were up 2.  Let's not just try to fudge the truth when we all watched the game.

He was not productive and he was changed out on the floor.  The best (and really only) thing he did the entire afternoon was blind side Pau Gasol to get a steal before he had a chance to make an outlet pass.  The Spurs do not need him to play well. While he is a solid role player who works hard, he is not the key to the championship.  The Spurs beating the pants off the best team in the West with him barely playing proves that.

I don't think it's Joe who is "butt hurt" about his prediction as much as you think if you keep griping on someone the rest of us will forget how WRONG you've been about the Spurs.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 05:07:18 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2010, 07:37:11 PM »
So you are just going to lie?

The game wasn't a 19 point blow out until the 4th was winding down.  MOST of the game was in the 10 point range.  Hardly a blow out against any NBA team.  In fact with 10 minutes left in the game the Spurs were up 2.  Let's not just try to fudge the truth when we all watched the game.

He was not productive and he was changed out on the floor.  The best (and really only) thing he did the entire afternoon was blind side Pau Gasol to get a steal before he had a chance to make an outlet pass.  The Spurs do not need him to play well. While he is a solid role player who works hard, he is not the key to the championship.  The Spurs beating the pants off the best team in the West with him barely playing proves that.

I don't think it's Joe who is "butt hurt" about his prediction as much as you think if you keep griping on someone the rest of us will forget how WRONG you've been about the Spurs.
We should form a conclusion over one game and 9 minutes played and ignore the body of the whole season?  My 5 year old is shaking her head, 'Rad!  :D
I guess that means when the Lakers beat Utah at Utah, 96-81 and Kobes Bryant did not play, that means (using your illogic [and Joes?]) that the Lakers do not need Kobes Bryant to win a championship.  I mean Utah is one of the best teams in the NBA at home, and the Lakers beat them without Kobes Bryant playing a single minute.  Are you going to lie and say the Lakers did not win the game?

By the way 'Rad, the final score was 100-81.  I lied!  I said a 20 point blowout.  It was 19!
Now back to this San Antonio game, Kobes Bryant was 8-24.  He was not productive.   

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2010, 08:06:26 AM »
I guess that means when the Lakers beat Utah at Utah, 96-81 and Kobes Bryant did not play, that means (using your illogic [and Joes?]) that the Lakers do not need Kobes Bryant to win a championship.  I mean Utah is one of the best teams in the NBA at home, and the Lakers beat them without Kobes Bryant playing a single minute.  Are you going to lie and say the Lakers did not win the game?

Actually, I believe that the PROPER thing to say would be that the Lakers beat Utah without Kobe Bryant.

You, of course, would NORMALLY simply draw the conclusion that the Lakers are better without Kobe than they are with him.  You've done that several times.  Even said that Kobe isn't the team's most valuable player (a point that, given the proper ground rules for debate, I might be willing to entertain).  Talked about how over-hyped he is.  How (pick-some-other-2-guard) is much, much better.

In this case, I've just done exactly what you typically do, except I've done it with a player *YOU* like.

What's the matter?  Don't like it when someone uses your own style of drawing conclusions against you?  Extrapolating on ONE game, ONE comment, etc., and taking that to the nth degree?

Here's the *REAL* killer, Reality - I actually *LIKE* Blair.  Think he's somewhat useful.  Not ready to declare him a player with "All Star potential," and don't really see how anyone is ready to make that leap based on what we've seen so far.  (Makes the name "Dalem-Blair" a lot funnier, too, because I remember how often Dalembert was overrated - including by me!)

You did this same exact thing with Oberto a few years back.  WayOut called him "the next future journeyman center."  You defended Oberto as if life itself depended on it, and pretty much poisoned a lot of us on the board to Oberto.  Now, you go back and say, "Well, it was just *THAT* particular year."  The rest of us remember how during that one particular year, you were hyping Oberto as a long-term solution.  You simply can't say, "I was wrong about Oberto."  And what's worse, you simply try to find other folks' predictions that were wrong, and try to use those as a basis for saying, "See, you're wrong about this, so you'll be wrong about the other."  And when defending your own predictions, you take stretches that you HOPE the rest of us won't recognize.

Let's talk about that San An not being a playoff team.  As far as predictions go, that's a strong prediction.  San An has been a playoff team for years.  Why not this year?  Have they really fallen that far?  A bold statement - and one that, in most cases, I would look at with a degree of respect.  But then, the thought occurs to me....

...WHEN did you make this prediction, Reality?  Was it in preseason?  Was it in the thread a few months back?  And believe it or not, this is a *REALLY* important question....

...because one of the reasons you gave for the reason it's not going to come true is because YAO MING has been out for the year.  Well...that was actually *LAST* *YEAR''S* news.  Like many, I thought Ming would be back late in the season, but last year, folks were talking how his injury was career-endangering.  Using Yao as a reason doesn't pass the smell test.

And this is the same thing with Chris Paul, depending upon *WHEN* you made the prediction.

And here's the truly damning thing.  Re-read this thread:  http://forums.phillyarena.com/index.php?topic=5697.0.  On this "bold" Oklahoma City prediction of 50 games won...where did you make the prediction?  Nowhere in this thread to you say, "I think they're going to."  No, instead you say, "Either way the future looks bright for OKC."  We wait until it's closer, that you imply that your message in JUNE OF LAST YEAR was that they *WOULD*.

One of the reasons people respect what I write is that I don't hold back and say things like, "Could OKCity jump to 50 wins next season?" and refer to that as a prediction.  I make statements like:  "No.  OKC isn't even a playoff team next year.  Maybe not for several.  I still think this is a team in danger of collapsing."  There is absolutely *NO* *WAY* I can slink out of that statement.  I chose to be bold.  And I'll be wrong on at least three counts, if not four (they're a playoff team, it's not been several years, they're not collapsing, and they may *STILL* win 50 games).  When I say something, I say it boldly, and I mean what I say.  And I accept the fact that I'm going to be wrong a lot of times.  Unlike some, I don't have a problem with being wrong.

What's even more, I'm going to be honest and ADMIT that I didn't see OKC making this kind of jump.  I'll out-and-out admit it is absolutely shocking to me.  I didn't trust their coaching staff (Scott Brooks?), I didn't trust their young player core, and I still don't understand how they can withstand a challenge on the front line.  4th in rebounding, 4th in rebounding differential?  *HOW* IN THE WORLD?  Looking back, if I had to make the prediction over, I'D STILL MAKE THE SAME ONE.  What OKC has done is, in my mind, absolutely shocking, which is why I have Durant as my runner-up for MVP.  (Now, of course.  Certainly not in preseason.)

When I argue my point, most people will look and say, although wrong, my prediction was *REASONABLE*.  Sure, I overlooked a lot of basics, such as "young players will develop," and "Durant is blossoming," and "they finished the season pretty well last year."  And they respect the fact that I was bold in my prediction.  And rightly so, the next time there's a developing young team, finishing the last season strongly, with a potential break-out superstar, and I say, "They aren't even a playoff team next year.  Maybe not for several.  I still think this is a team in danger of collapsing,"  folks are going to recall this prediction, and RIGHTLY ask me why the new team is different from OKC.  And that's fair.

Your "predictions" are ones where you've tried to make them late, back out of them, hedge your bets...and you wonder why people don't take them seriously.  When you're challenged on the wrong ones, you back off of them, and try to re-write the history.  In other words - people don't trust you to play fair.  And that's something you need to change.

Joe

-----------

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2010, 09:08:49 AM »

We should form a conclusion over one game and 9 minutes played and ignore the body of the whole season?  My 5 year old is shaking her head, 'Rad!  :D

Are you shaking because I am imitating you so well?  That is YOUR logic I am using on you.  A taste of your own medicine if you will.  What's really funny is you don't even get that.

Joe already addressed this in his post above mine but I wanted to add one thing....since when is Blair just as important to his team as Kobe Bryant?  Even though I was using your own one game logic against you, you cannot compare the two.  The Spurs can win a championship without Blair.   The Lakers however have not since the 80s without Kobe Bryant in the line up.  Please follow along.

By the way 'Rad, the final score was 100-81.  I lied!  I said a 20 point blowout.  It was 19!
Now back to this San Antonio game, Kobes Bryant was 8-24.  He was not productive.   

The game was not a blow out.  You tried to make it sound since the Lakers were getting blown out there was no reason for Blair to be on the floor.  The Spurs were up 2 with 10 minutes to go, hardly a 'blow out' that would require rest of any player but certainly not a ROLE PLAYER.  Duncan was in the entire game but some how we are to believe that Blair was given a rest because of the lead?

I am sure you didn't watch the game btw, you can't add any specifics to anything.  You are dancing around any real analysis and just want to argue bs.  Joe did a great job in summing it up, go read his post.  I know you want to gloss over it and not respond.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 10:18:00 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2010, 09:12:58 PM »

Actually, I believe that the PROPER thing to say would be that the Lakers beat Utah without Kobe Bryant.

You, of course, would NORMALLY simply draw the conclusion that the Lakers are better without Kobe than they are with him.  You've done that several times.  Even said that Kobe isn't the team's most valuable player (a point that, given the proper ground rules for debate, I might be willing to entertain).  Talked about how over-hyped he is.  How (pick-some-other-2-guard) is much, much better.

In this case, I've just done exactly what you typically do, except I've done it with a player *YOU* like.

What's the matter?  Don't like it when someone uses your own style of drawing conclusions against you?  Extrapolating on ONE game, ONE comment, etc., and taking that to the nth degree?

Here's the *REAL* killer, Reality - I actually *LIKE* Blair.  Think he's somewhat useful.  Not ready to declare him a player with "All Star potential," and don't really see how anyone is ready to make that leap based on what we've seen so far.  (Makes the name "Dalem-Blair" a lot funnier, too, because I remember how often Dalembert was overrated - including by me!)

You did this same exact thing with Oberto a few years back.  WayOut called him "the next future journeyman center."  You defended Oberto as if life itself depended on it, and pretty much poisoned a lot of us on the board to Oberto.  Now, you go back and say, "Well, it was just *THAT* particular year."  The rest of us remember how during that one particular year, you were hyping Oberto as a long-term solution.  You simply can't say, "I was wrong about Oberto."  And what's worse, you simply try to find other folks' predictions that were wrong, and try to use those as a basis for saying, "See, you're wrong about this, so you'll be wrong about the other."  And when defending your own predictions, you take stretches that you HOPE the rest of us won't recognize.

Let's talk about that San An not being a playoff team.  As far as predictions go, that's a strong prediction.  San An has been a playoff team for years.  Why not this year?  Have they really fallen that far?  A bold statement - and one that, in most cases, I would look at with a degree of respect.  But then, the thought occurs to me....

...WHEN did you make this prediction, Reality?  Was it in preseason?  Was it in the thread a few months back?  And believe it or not, this is a *REALLY* important question....

...because one of the reasons you gave for the reason it's not going to come true is because YAO MING has been out for the year.  Well...that was actually *LAST* *YEAR''S* news.  Like many, I thought Ming would be back late in the season, but last year, folks were talking how his injury was career-endangering.  Using Yao as a reason doesn't pass the smell test.

And this is the same thing with Chris Paul, depending upon *WHEN* you made the prediction.

And here's the truly damning thing.  Re-read this thread:  http://forums.phillyarena.com/index.php?topic=5697.0.  On this "bold" Oklahoma City prediction of 50 games won...where did you make the prediction?  Nowhere in this thread to you say, "I think they're going to."  No, instead you say, "Either way the future looks bright for OKC."  We wait until it's closer, that you imply that your message in JUNE OF LAST YEAR was that they *WOULD*.

One of the reasons people respect what I write is that I don't hold back and say things like, "Could OKCity jump to 50 wins next season?" and refer to that as a prediction.  I make statements like:  "No.  OKC isn't even a playoff team next year.  Maybe not for several.  I still think this is a team in danger of collapsing."  There is absolutely *NO* *WAY* I can slink out of that statement.  I chose to be bold.  And I'll be wrong on at least three counts, if not four (they're a playoff team, it's not been several years, they're not collapsing, and they may *STILL* win 50 games).  When I say something, I say it boldly, and I mean what I say.  And I accept the fact that I'm going to be wrong a lot of times.  Unlike some, I don't have a problem with being wrong.

What's even more, I'm going to be honest and ADMIT that I didn't see OKC making this kind of jump.  I'll out-and-out admit it is absolutely shocking to me.  I didn't trust their coaching staff (Scott Brooks?), I didn't trust their young player core, and I still don't understand how they can withstand a challenge on the front line.  4th in rebounding, 4th in rebounding differential?  *HOW* IN THE WORLD?  Looking back, if I had to make the prediction over, I'D STILL MAKE THE SAME ONE.  What OKC has done is, in my mind, absolutely shocking, which is why I have Durant as my runner-up for MVP.  (Now, of course.  Certainly not in preseason.)

When I argue my point, most people will look and say, although wrong, my prediction was *REASONABLE*.  Sure, I overlooked a lot of basics, such as "young players will develop," and "Durant is blossoming," and "they finished the season pretty well last year."  And they respect the fact that I was bold in my prediction.  And rightly so, the next time there's a developing young team, finishing the last season strongly, with a potential break-out superstar, and I say, "They aren't even a playoff team next year.  Maybe not for several.  I still think this is a team in danger of collapsing,"  folks are going to recall this prediction, and RIGHTLY ask me why the new team is different from OKC.  And that's fair.

Your "predictions" are ones where you've tried to make them late, back out of them, hedge your bets...and you wonder why people don't take them seriously.  When you're challenged on the wrong ones, you back off of them, and try to re-write the history.  In other words - people don't trust you to play fair.  And that's something you need to change.
Your entire post continues your desperado theme of trying to take attention off/justify your failed predictions for OKC.  You were wrong.  It's okay.

As to your fabricated accusations against me, cut and paste my *allegged* or shut up.  I expect this from 'sause and the Laker Bois.  Not you.

Yes, i never said for a fact OKC would win 50 games.  Only implied it by the thread theme and by making the thread most certainly raised it as a possibility.  Get it?  I never did claim to state for a fact OKC would win 50 games.  You weren't even on the same planet with your failed OKC prediction and no they are not some "new" "different" team since the thread was made. 

That the Spurs would make the playoffs or not, in my heart of hearts i thought 70% chance they would 30% they would not.  Nonetheless i stand by my post of saying they would not.  This is like the 5th time I've posted this, none with any lame attempts or fanfare to change.  I'm glad they are in the playoffs and as i posted i hope they get 8th seed and face the Flamers in round 1.  That the Spurs did make it is hardly a testimony to Popovichs coaching but rather how good the Spurs are in spite of him.
Lurker and pro Poppers never will touch the subject of no repeats with the best player and roster.

Now if anyone wants to discuss Blair......
All indications are Popozit is going to give minutes to Bonner and bench Blair.  If Bonner is hitting his treys, doing his new drive where he often scoops a 10 footer this will help.  Dangerous proposition as RealSpurs saw the fail that was Bonner in last years playoffs.