Poll

If the Spurs were to get Chris Bosh in exchange for shedding Greg Pop, Mike Finley-Pop, and Jefferson how would their Championship pursuit go this season?

In Finals
2 (50%)
WCFs
0 (0%)
2nd Round
1 (25%)
1st Round loss
0 (0%)
miss playoffs
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: How would the Spurs do with Bosh?  (Read 2403 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
How would the Spurs do with Bosh?
« on: January 29, 2010, 04:29:19 PM »
Frontline of Timmy Dunks, Chris Bosh and DeJuan SuperBlair.
pg Tony Parker and GHill
sg Manu and Mason

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: How would the Spurs do with Bosh?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 05:44:06 PM »
They would get burned on the wing something serious.   Bosh, Duncan, nor Blair would be able to deal with the foot speed of some of the scorers on the wing.  That means they are going to require help from another big man which is just going to free up the interior for easy buckets.

Also, having Duncan, who is more comfortable playing the 4 and Bosh who is more comfortable playing the 4, move into a different position than they like to operate is going to slow down one of them.

Aside from all that, what really makes you think Chris Bosh would snub a big pay day to go to San Antonio?  He won't be traded for.  Not if you think you are keeping Parker, Manu, and Duncan.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 05:46:23 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 12:08:17 PM »
They would get burned on the wing something serious.   Bosh, Duncan, nor Blair would be able to deal with the foot speed of some of the scorers on the wing.  That means they are going to require help from another big man which is just going to free up the interior for easy buckets.
Having Mike Finley or Bonner on them is a better option?  Looks like I've been lurkerowned again.
Wait, how about if the Spurs kept Mike Finley?!!

Who are these speedy WestWingers?  Lakers have Ron Artest and Lamar Kardashian at the Fs.  Or Bynum and Gasol, one of them is a F when they both are in.  Luke Walton?

For that matter explain to me how these other speedy WestWingers are going to defend Bosh Duncan or Blair?

Also, having Duncan, who is more comfortable playing the 4 and Bosh who is more comfortable playing the 4, move into a different position than they like to operate is going to slow down one of them.
Pop has on numerous occasions had Duncan on the floor with 4 other players 6'7" or under.  So Duncan has been playing plenty of C.
He also looked very comfortable to me when winning Championships next to Man From Nazr-Rasho and David Robinson.  For that matter Fabs Oberto was the Spurs PF/C in the 2007 Championship.

Aside from all that, what really makes you think Chris Bosh would snub a big pay day to go to San Antonio?  He won't be traded for.  Not if you think you are keeping Parker, Manu, and Duncan.
Toronto is getting the best coach in the NBA, right?
Plus I believe anythings possible in the NBA.  Kwame Brown for Gasol.  ;) 

Offline marklapinski

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 03:54:17 PM »
What happened to Jefferson?

Artest or Odom shouldn't have any problem with DeJuan Blair.

The team would be a championship contender.  Where they would hurt would be defending Kobe.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 04:44:27 PM »
What happened to Jefferson?
He's not quite as soft as Finley on D, but then again neither is lurkers great grandma.
Jefferson has shown improvement the last two games, but still wears the "Charmin" brand label defense.
Jefferson might be needed to make the dollar numbers work in a trade for Bosh.

Artest or Odom shouldn't have any problem with DeJuan Blair.
I think Artest will have plenty of problems with Blair.  1st matchup which the Spurs won easily 105-85 we won't know because Popavich only let Blair play 7 minutes.  Also L.A. was without their MVP so that game is a throwout.
Odom and other near 7's i agree Blair might have problems.  But again, who is gonna defend both Timmy Dunkar and Bosh? (with fair refs).  Gasol and Bynum?  Fine.  Bring it on.

The team would be a championship contender.
good to have you on the board.  Welcome.

Where they would hurt would be defending Kobe.
Had a guy named Bruce Bowen who Kobe himself says defends him better then anybody.  Could have been signed for any amount after he was bought out.  Instead we get more Finley, Hairston was cut after sitting on the bench virtually the whole 1st half and Ian Manhimi is another in Pops self serving *doghouse* thus he is not allowed to play.

Offline marklapinski

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 06:38:09 PM »
I can't understand why Pops let Ime Udoka walk.  I thought he was a pretty good defender.

Blair is a lot leaner and cut than he was at Pitt.  I saw him a lot as I'm in Western PA.  I have to give him props, I was expecting him to be very "Tractor Traylor" like.  At Pitt he averaged almost 6 Off Reb his last year, about 4 of them were off his own bunny's ala Moses Malone.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 06:41:41 PM by marklapinski »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 06:47:04 PM »

Having Mike Finley or Bonner on them is a better option?  Looks like I've been lurkerowned again.
Wait, how about if the Spurs kept Mike Finley?!!

Just because Finely is slower due to age doesn't mean playing a younger big man is going to do the trick.

Who are these speedy WestWingers?  Lakers have Ron Artest and Lamar Kardashian at the Fs.  Or Bynum and Gasol, one of them is a F when they both are in.  Luke Walton?

Kobe Bryant plays on the wing.  Lebron James plays on the wing.  Carmelo Anthony plays on the wing.  Paul Pierce plays on the wing.  Hedo Turkoglu plays on the wing.  You know....just players who's teams made it to the Conference finals or NBA finals in the last 2 years.  May not be that important to you.

And  Lamar Odom is quicker than any of the 3 guys you mentioned.

For that matter explain to me how these other speedy WestWingers are going to defend Bosh Duncan or Blair?

The Lakers with 2 7 Footers and one 6'11 guy would not struggle to guard that team.  Sorry to break it to you.

Pop has on numerous occasions had Duncan on the floor with 4 other players 6'7" or under.  So Duncan has been playing plenty of C.
He also looked very comfortable to me when winning Championships next to Man From Nazr-Rasho and David Robinson.  For that matter Fabs Oberto was the Spurs PF/C in the 2007 Championship.

Comparing Duncan and David Robinson to Duncan NOW and Bosh is disrespectful.  I guess you were not paying much attention to those guys then seeing as they had not won a championship so you didn't hop aboard.  Chris Bosh is no Tim Duncan on the defensive end.  He doesn't even play as good of defense as D-Rob did towards the end of his career.

Playing with ONE other big man is one thing.  Trying to run 3 big men for a bulk of your minutes is another.  I really wish you would think for a second.

Toronto is getting the best coach in the NBA, right?
Plus I believe anythings possible in the NBA.  Kwame Brown for Gasol.  ;) 

Popavich is one of the best coaches in the league, yes.  How you try to act like he is not is beyond me.  Just don't understand how anyone who claims to watch basketball as much as you do thinks he stinks.

Kwame Brown, Marc Gasol (15, 9.6, and 1.6 a game), plus cash for Gasol, yes. 

Once again, you are unable to make a thread with out bringing up the Lakers.  Way to go RealGenius.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 09:38:47 AM »
How many minutes has Finley played this year?  Reality, you are being very Randy-like in your perception of the Spurs.

Bonner was one of the top 3 pt% shooters in the NBA until his broke a bone in his shooting hand; why trade him?  He just took the brace off his hand this last game and hit his first 3 in around 9-10 attempts since returning from the injury.

Why would Toronto accept such junk in return for Bosh?  It's not like they wouldn't have 29 other offers to choose from or anything.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 09:46:23 AM »
I can't understand why Pops let Ime Udoka walk.  I thought he was a pretty good defender.

Udoka is also 30 and the Spurs have a solid (& improving) young defender in George Hill.  They also picked up Keith Bogans who is as good as Udoka was.  Spurs biggest problem defensively is the number of new guys playing in the rotation.

Blair is a lot leaner and cut than he was at Pitt.  I saw him a lot as I'm in Western PA.  I have to give him props, I was expecting him to be very "Tractor Traylor" like.  At Pitt he averaged almost 6 Off Reb his last year, about 4 of them were off his own bunny's ala Moses Malone.

That describes his pro game well right now.  He is working with a shooting coach and has improved his FT% from 48% to 52%.  He has great hands for his size.  Good foot work and surprising passing skills.  But can't hit a shot from more than 2 feet from the rim.  He is still adjusting to the length of NBA players.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues