Author Topic: Ah. This must be what going insane feels like.  (Read 4332 times)

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Ah. This must be what going insane feels like.
« on: January 13, 2010, 01:09:28 PM »
I just read this quote, and couldn't believe it.

"It's an example of why he's so important to us," Mavs coach Rick Carlisle said, referring to Bynum's big game in Dampier's absence. "But he's important to us at both ends, not just defensively guarding Bynum and [Pau] Gasol. But offensively he makes a lot of important things happen for us with his screening and movement and activity around the basket."

ERIC DAMPIER?  Okay - I can grant you a BIT of this.  For example, I can see how he's important defensively in guarding Bynum.  He's big and hard to move.  And I can understand how his screening - translation:  standing in the way of defenders - helps Dallas, and given the fact that he's rather...well..."large"...I can see how that could be helpful.

But MOVEMENT?  ACTIVITY?

I thought the last time Dampier moved was in 2004, when he left Golden State for the big contract in Dallas!  And ACTIVITY?  If Carlisle is calling Eric Dampier "active," in any form or fashion, then he has lost all perspective.  This guy was so mobile and active that Dallas was looking at DeSagana Diop as a starting center in 2008!

Hey, Rick - let me help you out on this one.

Dampier is averaging currently the most minutes he has since HIS FIRST YEAR IN DALLAS, after signing the big contract.  He's scoring his most point since HIS FIRST YEAR IN DALLAS, after signing the big contract.  His field goal percentage has gone up every year in Dallas other than THE YEAR HE PLAYED EVERY GAME.  His rebounding is at the highest level SINCE HIS CONTRACT YEAR.  He's getting assist AT A LOWER LEVEL THAN EVER PREVIOUSLY.  His steals are at their lowest level ever.  His blocks are the highest SINCE HIS CONTRACT YEAR.  His points are at their highest since his FIRST YEAR IN DALLAS.  In per-minute numbers, rebounding - highest since his contract year, assists - lowest ever, steals - lowest ever, blocks - best since his rookie year, points - best since is first year in Dallas.

Makes me think he has only one season left after this one on his contract.  The last time Dampier saw two straight years of improvement?  His last two in Golden State.

This guy is this century's version of Jon "Contract" (Koncak).
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

jemagee

Re: Ah. This must be what going insane feels like.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 01:11:51 PM »
So totally unsubstantiated rumor on a hoopsworld chat that goes with this and kind of makes me more sick to my stomach that T-mac rumors becuase I believe Cuban is a guy who would make such a deal

Iguodala/Dalembert

for

Dampier/Howard

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 01:43:07 PM »
So totally unsubstantiated rumor on a hoopsworld chat that goes with this and kind of makes me more sick to my stomach that T-mac rumors becuase I believe Cuban is a guy who would make such a deal

Iguodala/Dalembert

for

Dampier/Howard

:D  So two young developing players for two old, slow, just about done players?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 01:46:15 PM »
So two young developing players for two old, slow, just about done players?

The sixers are about saving money and getting under the 2011 luxury tax right now more about building the best basketball team they can...they're one of those selling teams that allows for a team like Sacrmento to obtain hilton armstrong for nothing (whether you like him or not the kings got him basically for free) so a team like New Orleans can get closer to that 4.4 million bonus instead of paying any tax.

Both Howard and Dampier could be expiring contracts THIS season (Dampier not fully guaranteed, Howard a team option for next season) so this move would be about saving money for the sixers, similar to the rumored T-Mac nonsense, but this is a trade I could see the Mavs owner doing while I don't see the ROckets making the trade for T-Mac because they want salary room

And the fact that Sam Dalembert is still 'developing' is particularly pathetic considering how long he's been in the league

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 10:52:16 PM »
If I were Dallas, I'd do that deal in a HEARTBEAT.

You replace everything you lose in Dampier (and then some) with Dalembert, and if he's nothing but a brain-dead player who grabs rebounds and blocks a few shots, you're still improving.  And you're replacing an athletic-but-constantly-injured Howard with an athletic-and-always-healthy Iguodala.  Score two big catches for Dallas. 

Philadelphia would do this - *WHY*?  I have no respect for a team that makes a deal that brings them NOTHING but cap space when they're giving up a potential All-Star talent.  That is the ultimate loser's mentality - and NOT buying in to such a mentality is why you see teams like San An and LA competing for championships and farm teams like Memphis re-starting their rebuilding project every 3 to 5 years.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 11:07:45 PM »

Philadelphia would do this - *WHY*?  I have no respect for a team that makes a deal that brings them NOTHING but cap space when they're giving up a potential All-Star talent.  That is the ultimate loser's mentality - and NOT buying in to such a mentality is why you see teams like San An and LA competing for championships and farm teams like Memphis re-starting their rebuilding project every 3 to 5 years.

And it truly has nothing to do with that lucky lottery bounce that had Duncan go to SA instead of Philadlephia

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 10:46:03 AM »
The lottery bounce is irrelevent to this conversation, and Joe is right. It is the ultimate loser's mentality.

Save cap space, but raise or at least maintain the talent level in the process.

You aren't a real Sixer fan, you've already given up on the season. I just think we need a new coach.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 11:46:05 AM »

Iguodala/Dalembert

for

Dampier/Howard

We will take Dalambert off your hands, but it will take Iguodala to do so.  How about we offer up Rudy Fernandez, Travis Outlaw, and Martell Webster?
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

jemagee

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 11:50:02 AM »
We will take Dalambert off your hands, but it will take Iguodala to do so.  How about we offer up Rudy Fernandez, Travis Outlaw, and Martell Webster?

I didn't make the offer nor would I make the Mavs trade (or the blazers trade, aren't all three of those guys injury prone)?

I don't think Pritchard would make the trade either, he seems to have a little gun shyness and like many fans and gms loves his own players maybe a little too much.

I think over reacting and making a trade for this year when suffering from so many injuries with a young roster is a bad idea for the Blazers anyway, they weren't going to win the title this year, so follow your plan...unless of course you're 100 percent certain Oden is just brad daugherty or whatever and injury prone for ever.

If I was running the sixers it wouldn't be easy to get Iguodala - who contrary to ESPN's poll, is one of the most under rated players in the NBA

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 06:26:03 PM »

I didn't make the offer nor would I make the Mavs trade (or the blazers trade, aren't all three of those guys injury prone)?

I don't think Pritchard would make the trade either, he seems to have a little gun shyness and like many fans and gms loves his own players maybe a little too much.

I think over reacting and making a trade for this year when suffering from so many injuries with a young roster is a bad idea for the Blazers anyway, they weren't going to win the title this year, so follow your plan...unless of course you're 100 percent certain Oden is just brad daugherty or whatever and injury prone for ever.

If I was running the sixers it wouldn't be easy to get Iguodala - who contrary to ESPN's poll, is one of the most under rated players in the NBA

Webster missed all of last year, prior to that had never had an injury and has played every game this season.
Outlaw missed a month in 06-07 with an ankle sprain, and is for 3-5 months this year, meaning first of March he could return.  Missed a total of 1 game last 2 years.
Fernandez played 78 games last year, and missed about a month this year, but is back now.  No big injury issues.

My thoughts are simple, and I don't believe this is overreacting for this year, but it is a long term move.  Iggy is a star just below Brandon Roy's level.  He solidifies our starting lineup.  That is how we can win a championship.  We have 3 guys who could be our long-term SF, Outlaw, Webster, Batum.  I am willing to give up 2 of the 3 to upgrade to Iggy.  Fernandez will be a starter in this league, unfortunately not in Portland because we have Brandon Roy.  If he gets us a good upgrade at SF then move now and upgrade.

I am not interested in Dalembert, but I will take him to improve with Iggy.  He provides depth and we only pay him for the remainder of this year and next, and we can always trade him to someone wanting to free up cap space.  I have no opinion about Oden's long term health prognosis, but if we add Iggy this year, then we can certainly win a round 1 series, if we have a big guy who defends like Dalembert.

As far as Pritchard overvaluing his players, maybe he is.  I have heard this a couple of times, but it is always some rival GM, and this is always how it goes.....
"talked to Pritchard about player x, and he said he wanted player y from me.  My guy is worth a lot more than that, so he is overvaluing his guys, because there is no way I am overvaluing my guys".  Who is overvaluing who??? 
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 06:31:00 PM »
Iggy is a star just below Brandon Roy's level.

In perception, that's entirely true...

It's not only a rival GM i've heard who say pritchard over values his prospects - it's most of the folk who cover basketball and then again - instead of smartly sitting on cap space he wasted it on a player (miller) they didn't need...so maybe he's just not that good.

Chad Ford made a point today (which i find hard to believe) that Pritchard has drafted a lot of guys other teams were wary of because of injury issues...and so far he's gotten lucky...

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 08:53:23 PM »

In reality Brandon Roy was Rookie of the Year and last year he was all-NBA Second team, two things Iguodala has never been.

It's not only a rival GM i've heard who say pritchard over values his prospects - it's most of the folk who cover basketball and then again - instead of smartly sitting on cap space he wasted it on a player (miller) they didn't need...so maybe he's just not that good.

Yes I have heard this same thing said by Chad Ford, and other writers.  And where did they get that opinion?  From other GM's, unless Kevin Pritchard is making trade offers to Chad Ford and other writers.  My point is that it always comes from rival GM's, because it has to.  Every GM who says Pritchard is over valuing his players, could just as easily be over valuing their own.  It is a well documented fact that there are a lot of GM's calling Pritchard all the time inquiring about players, so there is a lot of interest in Portland's players.  It seems to me that you overvalue your players as much as possible, so if you do trade you get max value.  Memphis still has the same GM, so you never know what great offer may be awaiting you.  if another GM thinks you are asking too much for your players, well too fricking bad for them.

Chad Ford made a point today (which i find hard to believe) that Pritchard has drafted a lot of guys other teams were wary of because of injury issues...and so far he's gotten lucky...

Here are all of Pritchard's picks that he kept, or the picks he traded for on draft day while he was the GM in Portland

LaMarcus Aldridge
Brandon Roy
Sergio Rodriguez
Joel Freeland

Greg Oden
Rudy Fernandez
Petteri Koponen
Josh McRoberts
Taurean Green

Jerryd Bayless
Nicolas Batum

Victor Claver
Dante Cunningham
Jeff Pendagraph
Patty Mills

There were some rumors about Batum and his kidney, which the Drs. said was nothing.
Roy had knee surgery as a Jr., but he had no problems as a Sr., and there was no talk about it at the draft.
Oden had his wrist problem as a Fr.
Claver had a serious knee injury 2 years ago, but has played 2 years in Europe.

Other than that there were players we passed on who had injuries (we passed twice on Blair in the second round).

So Chad Ford's point has some truth, but it is also about filling up space so they can sell ads.  Some teams passed on Claver and Batum because of injury concerns, but we took Batum 25 and Claver 22.  It is not like he took a huge risk at that point in the draft.  You can talk yourself into taking a player and talk yourself out of taking a player.  A lot of people who were concerned about Batum's health passed on him, and now they are trying to trade for him.

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 01:04:31 AM »

In perception the sun rises from the East.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 09:56:55 AM »

So Chad Ford's point has some truth, but it is also about filling up space so they can sell ads.  Some teams passed on Claver and Batum because of injury concerns, but we took Batum 25 and Claver 22.  It is not like he took a huge risk at that point in the draft.  You can talk yourself into taking a player and talk yourself out of taking a player.  A lot of people who were concerned about Batum's health passed on him, and now they are trying to trade for him.

The Spurs were interested in drafting Batum at 26 and were disappointed that Pritchard beat them to him.  Their fall back (according to news sources at the time) was George Hill.  Sometimes though you can't believe what the Spurs front office says in connection with drafting and trades.   ;)
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 08:49:12 PM »
http://www.dwightjaynes.com/just-a-thought-what-if-these-trail-blazer-guys-are-actually-not-overvalued

Just a thought? what if these Trail Blazer guys are actually NOT overvalued?
January 21st, 2010 by Dwight Jaynes | Filed under NBA, Trail Blazers.

Everyone says it ? including me, all the time ? that the reason the Trail Blazers have trouble making a trade is that they overvalue all their players to a great extent.

But just a thought after another improbable road victory, this time in Philadelphia, where they?ve often found it difficult to win with all their supposedly best players in the lineup.

What if all these guys really are this good? I mean, it?s possible, isn?t it? Yes, it is. But if so, it?s probably still going to be difficult to get equivalent value in return for them because nobody will quite believe they?re this good. It?s just so improbable that one roster could be this deep.

What I like about the way the Trail Blazers play without Brandon Roy, by the way, is how much better ball movement they usually get. That doesn?t mean I want Portland to deal Roy. It doesn?t mean I don?t think Roy is the key to this team. He?s a budding superstar.

What I do think is possible is that the Trail Blazers can have this kind of ball movement when Roy is in the game and be an even better team. He?d still get his points but probably in easier fashion and other players would get better shots, too.

AA Mil