Author Topic: Gilbert and Javaris sitting in a tree......................  (Read 9777 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Gilbert and Javaris sitting in a tree......................
« on: January 01, 2010, 12:52:35 PM »
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/nba_gunpoint_R52AnT76DRgTSuVKDQ8XBO

Wizards Gilbert Arenas and Javaris Crittenton pull pistols on each other

Teammates pull weapons on each other

By PETER VECSEY and DAVID K. L I

Last Updated: 12:28 PM, January 1, 2010

Posted: 2:53 AM, January 1, 2010
NBA all-star Gilbert Arenas and his Washing ton Wizards teammate Javaris Crittenton drew guns on each other in the team's locker room during a Christmas Eve dispute over a gambling debt, The Post has learned.

League sources say the pistol-packing point guards had heat ers at the ready inside the Verizon Center, the Washington, DC, home of the Wizards -- whose name was changed from the Bullets over gun- vi olence concerns.

It was the three- time all-star Arenas, 27, who went for his gun first, sources said, draw ing on the 22-year-old Crit tenton, who quickly brandished a firearm as well.

It was not clear whether other teammates saw the shocking standoff, which happened on a practice day.

The duel in DC -- unprecedented in sports history -- was sparked when Critten ton became enraged at the vet eran guard for refusing to make good on a gambling debt, a source said.

"I'm not your punk!" Crittenton shouted at Arenas, according to a league source close to the Wizards.

That prompted Arenas to draw on Crittenton, who then also grabbed for a gun, league security sources said.

A playground pal of Crittenton's from Atlanta, Kendrick "Bookie Ball" Long, confirmed the locker-room standoff and said he learned of it directly from the third-year player out of Georgia Tech.

"He [Arenas] was f- - -ing with him; he [Crittenton] was just defending himself!" declared Long, who said the dispute was over money but would not elaborate.

The Wizards announced on Christmas Day that Arenas had admitted to bringing guns to the locker room and had turned them over to team security. No ammunition was handed over.

The NBA club's statement didn't disclose how Wizards officials discovered that Arenas was storing weapons on the job.

But a league source said Arenas' weapons were uncovered only after the confrontation with Crittenton.

Wizards General Manager Ernie Grunfeld declined to comment. "It's in the hands of [Washington] authorities," said Grunfeld, a former star Knicks player and president. "We're going to get to the bottom of this, if there is a bottom to this."

Washington police said they were investigating Arenas for gun-possession violations. But the Wizards' gun grab has also drawn the attention of the feds.

"We're working with the Metropolitan Police Department on the investigation. That's about all we can say at his point," said Ben Friedman, a spokesman for the US Attorney's Office in DC.

The feds have been investigating gambling within the NBA since disgraced ex-referee Tim Donaghy admitted betting on games and feeding information to bookies. It was not clear whether the gambling debt that sparked the Arenas-Crittenton duel had anything to do with league games.

A top players-union official said he was shocked by the allegations. "This is unprecedented in the history of sports," said Player's Association Executive Director Billy Hunter. "I've never heard of players pulling guns on each other in a locker room."

Team owner Abe Pollin -- his sensitivity heightened by the fatal shooting of his good friend Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin in 1995 -- changed the club from the Bullets to the Wizards in 1997 because he didn't like the violent overtones of the original name. Pollin died in November.

Arenas, who has three kids, reportedly told team officials he brought guns to his Verizon Center locker so they wouldn't be close to his newborn at their home in Great Falls, Va.

He denied pulling a gun on Crittenton and even mocked the suggestion he would ever point a weapon at a teammate.

"You guys, I wanted to go rob banks, I wanted to be a bank robber on the weekends," Arenas said sarcastically after a game this week.

Firearm laws in Washington are among the nation's strictest. Until a recent US Supreme Court ruling, private ownership of guns was illegal in the nation's capital.

As it stands now, gun owners are allowed to transport firearms only within DC under very limited circumstances -- such as taking the weapon to be registered or to a practice range. There's no provision under current DC law for a private citizen to have a gun at work.

In 2003, Arenas pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges of carrying a concealed weapon in San Francisco.

Arenas claimed the gun was legally registered in Arizona -- where he was star player for the University of Arizona Wildcats -- and said he forgot he needed California authorization to carry it there.

Crittenton hasn't played a minute this season for the Wizards and has struggled to overcome a bone bruise and strained tendons.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/nba_gunpoint_R52AnT76DRgTSuVKDQ8XBO#ixzz0bNs0UvM9
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 06:20:30 PM by ziggy »
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Reports: Arenas, teammate pull guns on each other
By JOSEPH WHITE
AP Sports Writer

Updated 1 hour, 45 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - The investigation of Gilbert Arenas and the guns he brought to the Verizon Center took a much more serious turn Friday amid a report that the Washington Wizards point guard and teammate Javaris Crittenton allegedly drew on each other during a locker-room argument over a gambling debt.

Arenas responded with a flurry of messages on Twitter, at times making light of the news but also making one tweet that read somewhat like a denial: "I understand this is serious..but if u ever met me you know i dont do serious things im a goof ball this story today dont sound goofy to me."

Arenas later tweeted he couldn't talk about the report the way he wanted to. He did not respond to a text message left by The Associated Press. A message left for Crittenton's agent also was not returned.

The NBA and the Wizards would only confirm that an investigation is taking place ? and it's being led by law enforcement, not the league.

"There is an active investigation by D.C. law enforcement authorities, which we are monitoring closely," NBA spokesman Tim Frank said in a statement. "We are not taking any independent action at this time."

D.C. police said they are assisting the U.S. Attorney's Office in the matter. The Wizards said they are cooperating and they "take this situation and the ongoing investigation very seriously." The team had no further comment.

The Wizards and Arenas both have acknowledged that Arenas kept guns in his locker. The team has said the firearms were unloaded and kept in a locked container with no ammunition. Arenas has said he took his guns to the Verizon Center because he didn't want them in his house after the birth of his latest child. He said he later handed them over to team security to give to police.

"They just want to know where I got them from," Arenas said Tuesday night after a loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder. "They want to make sure they're not dirty guns."

But Yahoo! Sports and the New York Post, both citing unidentified sources, reported the investigation now involves Crittenton. The Post reported Crittenton became angry at Arenas for refusing to make good on a gambling debt. That prompted Arenas to draw on Crittenton, who then reached for a gun, league security sources told the Post.

The nation's capital has some of the most strict gun laws in the nation. The NBA's collective bargaining agreement allows for players to legally possess firearms, but prohibits them at league facilities or when traveling on league business.

Pending the outcome of the investigation, Arenas and Crittenton both could face fines or suspensions from the NBA. Commissioner David Stern has taken a strong stance on guns, saying in 2006: "We think this is an alarming subject, that although you'll read players saying how they feel safer with guns, in fact those guns actually make them less safe. And it's a real issue."

Arenas was suspended for Washington's season opener in 2004 because he failed to maintain proper registration of a handgun while living in California in 2003. Arenas, in the second season of a six-year, $111 million contract, formerly played for the Golden State Warriors.

Arenas didn't make the reports sound serious with his first tweet on the matter Friday: "i wake up this morning and seen i was the new JOHN WAYNE. ... Media is too funny."

Arenas, once known for his must-read blog, had vowed not to even use Twitter until he had one million followers. He broke his silence on New Year's Eve because he said it was taking too long to reach the goal. He had about 11,000 followers as of early Friday evening.

On Friday, he tweeted often, referencing the gun investigation while mixing in references to other topics.

"if ur not laughing i dont think u should follow me becuz im never serious and i will never not say anything dumb and silly," he wrote, before finally taking a break.

Arenas is averaging 22.7 points this season as he returns from knee surgeries that limited to 15 games over the previous two seasons. Crittenton has an injured left foot and hasn't played this season.

The reports are more bad news in a troublesome season for the Wizards, who are 10-20 and in last place in the Southeast Division.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 09:16:06 PM by WayOutWest »
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
Any doubts that Wash will void his deal first chance they get.

Two sources indicated Friday that Washington, while not actively considering it at this time, would not shy away from at least having internal discussions about voiding the rest of Arenas's contract, which has three years and $67.7 million remaining on it after this season. The team has waited two-plus seasons for Arenas to return from three knee surgeries, and his numbers this season have been very good for someone who's been out of regular action since 2007: 22.7 points, a career-high 6.9 assists and 4.3 rebounds. NBA.com

The NBA source noted that the Wizards could void the remainder of Arenas' six-year contract -- which he signed last summer -- if he is convicted of a felony. About $100 million remains on the contract. In stark contrast, Crittenton is owed just $1.48 million in the last year of a three-year contract. "A team doesn't have to void the contract. It's their option," the source said. "But if a player is in jail and can't perform services, it stands to reason that the team isn't going to pay him and will cancel the contract." New York Post
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
I think they want to Zigs.  Obviously they want to get out from under one of the worst contracts since Grant Hill in Orlando.  Problem is, even though DC has strict gun laws, he won't do time for this.  If he doesn't do time I don't think they can get away with saying he is unable to perform services which would allow them to void it.  I think the players union would fight tooth and nail for him.  If teams start dropping players over things like this I think there would be an issue.

Now if you wanna talk about a guy who has over a 100 million coming to him in the next 6 years stiffing some guy on a bet that makes 500k a year...... :D
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
I think they want to Zigs.  Obviously they want to get out from under one of the worst contracts since Grant Hill in Orlando.  Problem is, even though DC has strict gun laws, he won't do time for this.  If he doesn't do time I don't think they can get away with saying he is unable to perform services which would allow them to void it.  I think the players union would fight tooth and nail for him.  If teams start dropping players over things like this I think there would be an issue.

Now if you wanna talk about a guy who has over a 100 million coming to him in the next 6 years stiffing some guy on a bet that makes 500k a year...... :D

Plaxico Burris got 2 years for carry a concealed weapon.  Arenas was carrying and he pulled the gun on Crittenton.  He is in very deep doo doo.

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email

Plaxico Burris got 2 years for carry a concealed weapon.  Arenas was carrying and he pulled the gun on Crittenton.  He is in very deep doo doo.

The pulling out of the gun on Javaris isn't what they are investigating though.  They are just investigating him having a firearm that wasn't registered in the state.  The pulling out of the gun is a side issue and something the team would have to deal with.  That he won't be convicted for.  My comment was more in the sense that I have no faith in our legal system to punish rich people/celebrities so I don't think Arenas is going to jail for it.  He may get 91028 hours of community service but he won't be locked up and unable to play for the Wizards.

He is in deep doo doo but I don't think his contract gets voided because of it.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email

jemagee

The pulling out of the gun on Javaris isn't what they are investigating though.  They are just investigating him having a firearm that wasn't registered in the state.  The pulling out of the gun is a side issue and something the team would have to deal with.

I think what they are investigating changes as more info becomes public - at first maybe all they knew about was him bringing the guns (supposedly unloaded, which I expect legally will make a difference) into the locker room and then this cirttendon/arenas confrontation comes out...I don't know if Areanas is going to go to prison - but he'll lose a lot of money if he pleads guilty even a little bit cause the wiz probably just are looking for a way out of the stupid contract they gave him.

If he pleads guilty to anything the wiz are going to invoke the moral terpitude clause, prison or not, cause they want out from under his idiotic contract

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
I want to know who alerted the police. 
Not that i am questioning that at all.

Just with all the psuedo "downt be snitchin" crap.....
would have thought maybe they be wantin to keep it all in house.

Then again, maybe lots of Wiz players want Arenas gone too.

Offline marklapinski

• View Profile
    • Email
I would think arena security.  No shame in them doing their job. If you had someone pulling guns out where you work I sure someone would say something about it to the authorities.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
The pulling out of the gun on Javaris isn't what they are investigating though.  They are just investigating him having a firearm that wasn't registered in the state.  The pulling out of the gun is a side issue and something the team would have to deal with.

I think what they are investigating changes as more info becomes public - at first maybe all they knew about was him bringing the guns (supposedly unloaded, which I expect legally will make a difference) into the locker room and then this cirttendon/arenas confrontation comes out...I don't know if Areanas is going to go to prison - but he'll lose a lot of money if he pleads guilty even a little bit cause the wiz probably just are looking for a way out of the stupid contract they gave him.

If he pleads guilty to anything the wiz are going to invoke the moral terpitude clause, prison or not, cause they want out from under his idiotic contract

Could you repeat the last part again?   ;D

I heard on the radio that Arenas showed Javaris two guns and told him "pick one" but Javaris said no because he had his own.  Weird stuff.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jemagee

I heard on the radio that Arenas showed Javaris two guns and told him "pick one" but Javaris said no because he had his own.  Weird stuff.

I've read anywhere from 2 to 4 guns - right now folks are just recycling the original story from the NY paper and yahoo.

They've got a pretty verbose player on that roster, some guy who had to shut down his blog just recently, i think haywood?

Unless they were the only two in the locker, other guys saw what happened so the silence from the wizards roster is pretty interesting to me

PS - new layout design, maybe just me, but the black on the dark blue is a not really easy to read - maybe lighten up the background blue?

jemagee

CNN gets in on the act now that Arenas releases official statement

In what universe is pulling a gun on someone 'funny'?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/01/04/nba.players.guns/index.html

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Sternfish issued immediate indefinite suspension without pay pending outcome of investigation:
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2010/01/arenas-suspended-indefinitely.html?hpid=topnews

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email

NEW YORK (AP) -- Gilbert Arenas was suspended without pay Wednesday by NBA commissioner David Stern, who determined the player's behavior made him "not currently fit to take the court."

A day after the Washington Wizards guard was photographed before a game in Philadelphia pointing his index fingers, as if they were guns, at his teammates, Stern warned the former All-Star that his conduct will "ultimately result in a substantial suspension, and perhaps worse."

Arenas is under investigation by federal and local authorities after admittedly bringing guns to the locker room. Stern originally planned to wait to take action, but he tired of Arenas' behavior.

Arenas met with law enforcement officials Monday and said the next day that he feared Stern more than the authorities because the commissioner was "mean."

"Although it is clear that the actions of Mr. Arenas will ultimately result in a substantial suspension, and perhaps worse, his ongoing conduct has led me to conclude that he is not currently fit to take the court in an NBA game," Stern said in a statement. "Accordingly, I am suspending Mr. Arenas indefinitely, without pay, effective immediately pending the completion of the investigation by the NBA."

With each game he misses, Arenas will lose about $147,200 of the $16.2 million he will earn this season in the second of a six-year, $111 million contract. The punishment came on his 28th birthday.

A Wizards spokesman said Arenas left the team, which is playing in Cleveland, earlier Wednesday but didn't know where he was going.

"It's sad," Wizards guard DeShawn Stevenson said. "You don't want to see a player go down like that. We're a family, and it hurts."

The Wizards supported Stern's decision in a statement attributed to president Ernie Grunfeld and the Pollin family, which owns the team. The late Abe Pollin changed the team's name from the Bullets because of the violent connotation.

"Strictly legal issues aside, Gilbert's recent behavior and statements, including his actions and statements last night in Philadelphia, are unacceptable," the statement said. "Some of our other players appeared to find Gilbert's behavior in Philadelphia amusing. This is also unacceptable. Under Abe Pollin's leadership, our organization never tolerated such behavior, and we have no intention of ever doing so."

A lawyer who has been representing Arenas in the gun matter did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Arenas does not have a traditional player agent.

Since the firearms language was strengthened in the 2005 Collective Bargaining Agreement, NBA players are subject to discipline if they bring guns to the arena or practice facility, or even an offsite promotional appearance.

Arenas originally said he brought four guns to the Verizon Center because he wanted them out of his house after his daughter was born. But two officials within the league who have been briefed on the investigation have told The Associated Press that the incident stemmed from a dispute over card-playing gambling debts and a heated discussion in the locker room with teammate Javaris Crittenton. The New York Post, however, reported that the two teammates drew weapons on each other.

In a statement he released after meeting with authorities Monday, Arenas said he took unloaded guns from his locker in a "misguided effort to play a joke" on a teammate.

"Joke or not, I now recognize that what I did was a mistake and was wrong," Arenas said. "I should not have brought the guns to DC in the first place, and I now realize that there's no such thing as joking around when it comes to guns -- even if unloaded."

Stern said members of the Wizards organization are still being interviewed by law enforcement authorities.

"Some are scheduled for appearance before the grand jury and the investigation is proceeding with the intensity that one would expect for such a serious incident," Stern said.

AA Mil