Author Topic: Are the Nets tanking?  (Read 22356 times)

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Re: Are the Nets tanking?
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2010, 03:25:22 PM »

New Ownership means you can't tar them with any of the old history. The only thing staying is the name. The franchise will be more like a new team than the sorry Nets of the past.

What it "will be" remains to be seen.  Until it establishes itself as something completely different, it remains the same garbage team it used to be.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2010, 05:23:13 PM »

New Ownership means you can't tar them with any of the old history. The only thing staying is the name. The franchise will be more like a new team than the sorry Nets of the past.

So you are saying they will be an expansion team.  And the track record of expansion teams making the playoffs would encourage LBJ to go to Brooklyn?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2010, 05:33:14 PM »
^^ get real. 
How were the Kobe Bryants doing before Gasol was colluded?  .500 at best and 1st round and out -that is if they even made the playoffs.  (ignore the squaks of W.O.W. "1st place, bwwraaack 1st place" because most of know championships are not won in November.  The Kream Lakers before Magic?  The Spurs before DRob and then Timmy Dunks?

So it would be a huge turnaround for the Nets.  So what?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2010, 05:51:42 PM »
^^ get real. 
How were the Kobe Bryants doing before Gasol was colluded?  .500 at best and 1st round and out -that is if they even made the playoffs.  (ignore the squaks of W.O.W. "1st place, bwwraaack 1st place" because most of know championships are not won in November.  The Kream Lakers before Magic?  The Spurs before DRob and then Timmy Dunks?

So you just mentioned a bunch of championship teams prior to having 2 star players on the court but fail to realize the Nets don't have that other star to compliment Lebron.  So your approach to Lebron would go as follows:

"Hay Lebron, you should come to the Nets because you know, Brooklyn is awesome!  Notorious BIG is from there! Now I know we dont have a second all star to play along side with you but hopefully some day we will.  If the league can manipulate the lottery so the Spurs can land Tim Duncan, we might be able to do the same.    Don't be discouraged coming here off the bat because Kobe lost to better teams in the playoffs until he got another complimenting player.  Ditto for Kareem and David Robinson.  They didn't seem to jump ship and just toughed it out!  What number do you want on your jersey?  23? I want to get it printed up right away for you, see you soon!"

I am sure Lebron James would sign right away if you were the GM over there  ::)

Oh btw, the Magic-less Lakers under Kareem went to the finals.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 05:53:56 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2010, 06:13:51 PM »
:D :D did lurker help you with that?

Naw, that is all you.  :D :D

Lakers with Kareem did not go to the Finals in Kareems 1st 4 seasons, all without Magic.
1st year they missed playoffs  ;)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2010, 06:18:34 PM »

Lakers with Kareem did not go to the Finals in Kareems 1st 4 seasons, all without Magic.

Yup you are right and I was mistaken.  I forgot they lost to the Blazers that year and didn't goto the finals...now let's get back to your statements, not going to let you side step this one by only quoting one part and pretending like you didnt see the rest...

Exactly what does The Spurs and Lakers not winning titles until they got a second legit all star have to do with enticing Lebron to go to New Jersey?  You realize they don't have a second all star right?  Is it because NJ will have the chance to get one? lol  So does EVERY TEAM technically.  Any team could potentially land an all-star.   The Nets are not any more enticing than the Cavs are because the Cavs can entice players just as much as NJ can.  Again, your logic for him going to the Nets doesn't make much sense.  

Not quite sure what Lurker has to do with anything but hay, you think about the guy almost as much as the Lakers so I guess you can bring him up anywhere.   ;)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 06:24:48 PM by westkoast »

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2010, 08:42:06 PM »

Yup you are right and I was mistaken.  I forgot they lost to the Blazers that year and didn't goto the finals...now let's get back to your statements, not going to let you side step this one by only quoting one part and pretending like you didnt see the rest...

Exactly what does The Spurs and Lakers not winning titles until they got a second legit all star have to do with enticing Lebron to go to New Jersey?  You realize they don't have a second all star right?  Is it because NJ will have the chance to get one? lol  So does EVERY TEAM technically.  Any team could potentially land an all-star.   The Nets are not any more enticing than the Cavs are because the Cavs can entice players just as much as NJ can.  Again, your logic for him going to the Nets doesn't make much sense.  

Not quite sure what Lurker has to do with anything but hay, you think about the guy almost as much as the Lakers so I guess you can bring him up anywhere.   ;)

Brook Lopez is a legit star to go with LeBron, and NEW YORK with LeBron will attract many more free agents than Cleveland will without him. The Celtics showed that you can assemble a championship team, LA did the same with Gasol, there's no reason the Nets couldn't do the same, and be in a better position because of their cap space. I could see Bosh heading there to join LeBron right away.  Cleveland is over the cap and isn't in a position to add anyone else. If they don't win it, LeBron will probably go, and it will be the right decision.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2010, 09:26:26 PM »

:D :D are you appearing nightly anywheres?  No, you're not.
Perhaps Lurkers usefullness on this thead can be with his accounting skills helping you count how many times I posted "Lebron with Bosh and...."
I'll help you get started.  Here is my op:
Brooklyn Nets (or new name) with Lebron, Bosh and/or Wade, high draft pick.  Yep, that would create mega buzz.
Here's my second one:
Make Bosh and/or Wade or other top free agent part of the deal

For that matter, as dabods and RT have pointed out, even Lebron with just the current Nets (Lopez, #3 overall draft pick) would have Lebron combined with any further FA attraction he would create would have them contending before too long.  He is the RealMVP afterall.  At any rate, i want him with Bosh or Wade or another bona fide 2nd star and cast. 

That NYCs marketing power is lost on you is, well just lost.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2010, 08:53:12 AM »

:D :D are you appearing nightly anywheres?  No, you're not.
Perhaps Lurkers usefullness on this thead can be with his accounting skills helping you count how many times I posted "Lebron with Bosh and...."
I'll help you get started.  Here is my op:
Brooklyn Nets (or new name) with Lebron, Bosh and/or Wade, high draft pick.  Yep, that would create mega buzz.
Here's my second one:
Make Bosh and/or Wade or other top free agent part of the deal

For that matter, as dabods and RT have pointed out, even Lebron with just the current Nets (Lopez, #3 overall draft pick) would have Lebron combined with any further FA attraction he would create would have them contending before too long.  He is the RealMVP afterall.  At any rate, i want him with Bosh or Wade or another bona fide 2nd star and cast. 

That NYCs marketing power is lost on you is, well just lost.

1. The Nets do not have the cap space for 'Lebron, Bosh, and....' how many times do you need to be told that?

2. It is not a sure thing the Nets go to New York and the EARLIEST they can is the 2011-2012 season.  Lebron will be a free to leave in a few months.  A deal to move them to Brooklyn has not even been finalized. 

3. Why would you give up competing NOW for the chance to MAYBE compete later?  That makes sense to you? lol

So you are basing all of this over the Nets for sure moving to Brooklyn, the Nets magically being able to afford 'Bosh, Lebron, AND....'  Maybe Lurker's accounting skills can teach you that this is not fantasy basketball.  The NBA is a business with rules and regulations.  Not all teams can fit 2 max contracts and certainly not 3.

And what is VERY funny to me is the fact you are okay with the 'New York Market' and the 'marketing' up there.  Yet CONSTANTLY cry about the Los Angeles Market and the league marketing for the Lakers.  Kind of talking out of both sides of your mouth?  The west and eastside of your mouth to be more exact.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 09:01:13 AM by westkoast »

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2010, 10:26:26 AM »
^^ get real. 

Name the last Laker superstar who DIDN'T retire as a Laker.  And the Lakers haven''t competed for the WORST RECORD IN HISTORY in...let's see....*EVER*.

Abdul-Jabbar's Lakers before Magic?  47-35 - #4 seed in the West.  That's 4-seed, not 4 games won at All-Star Break.

Spurs prior to Robinson:  21-61.  Exactly how many free agents did they attract?

Spurs prior to Duncan:  56-26 (4th best in league), 55-27 (6th best), 47-35 (5th seed), 49-33 (5th seed), 55-27 (4th seed), 62-20 (best in league), 59-23 (2 seed, 4th best in league), 20-62 with Robinson out for all but 6 games.  Are you trying to tell me this was a historically bad team, and free agents flocked to it?

Let me reacquaint you with history.  In 1999-2000, the Chicago Bulls, two years removed from an NBA championship, finished 17-65 (that's 4 times as many wins as the Nets have right now).  Their team included rookies Ron Artest and Elton Brand and veterans Hersey Hawkins and Toni Kukoc.  They had the money to go after a superstar, and courted free agents Tim Duncan, Tracy McGrady, and Grant Hill.  Lost on all of them.  So who was the free agent they ended up giving the maximum level contract to?  You guessed it - the immortal RON MERCER.  That's what their money could get them, even though this was a talented young team...had several first round draft picks coming in....

If you want to sign a free agent - BE A GOOD TEAM FIRST - or at least have a tradition of loyalty and stability.
Joe

-----------

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2010, 10:31:58 AM »
Better yet:  name the last Superstar free agent who went from the team with the *BEST* record in the league to the team with the *WORST* record in the league.

It generally works the other way, and usually via trade or sign-and-trade.
Joe

-----------

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2010, 11:30:05 AM »
westkoast
1. The Nets do not have the cap space for 'Lebron, Bosh, and....' how many times do you need to be told that?
The Nets have more cap space then any team in the league.

2. It is not a sure thing the Nets go to New York and the EARLIEST they can is the 2011-2012 season.  Lebron will be a free to leave in a few months.  A deal to move them to Brooklyn has not even been finalized. 
So they spend one season in Jersey before the opening in Brooklyn. 

3. Why would you give up competing NOW for the chance to MAYBE compete later?  That makes sense to you? lol
Because getting close is not enough.

So you are basing all of this over the Nets for sure moving to Brooklyn, the Nets magically being able to afford 'Bosh, Lebron, AND....'  Maybe Lurker's accounting skills can teach you that this is not fantasy basketball.  The NBA is a business with rules and regulations.  Not all teams can fit 2 max contracts and certainly not 3.
Can they trade the contract of Aaron McKie to make it work like the Lakers did with Kwame for Gasol? 
And Pao Gasol for Bobby Simmons?
And maybe they can have an NBA players kid who needs medical treatment get bought out by his current club and then come to the Nets on the cheap?
Another vet do the same?
This is not fantasy basketball.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 11:54:12 AM by Reality »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2010, 11:33:45 AM »
Better yet:  name the last Superstar free agent who went from the team with the *BEST* record in the league to the team with the *WORST* record in the league.

Norm Nixon
The Nets and Lebron are gonna do this the non general way.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2010, 11:57:34 AM »

The Nets have more cap space then any team in the league.

That doesn't mean they can take on THREE max contracts Reality.  Even two max contracts is pushing it big time.  This all coming at the same time when they are trying to move and get a new stadium?  I don't think you are really thinking this through.

So they spend one season in Jersey before the opening in Brooklyn. 

1.  The deal is not even finalized, there are residents and teams in the area who are fighting against this as we speak.  The Meadowlands and a group from New Jersey are trying to keep them in the area.  Also, to my knowledge (correct me if I am wrong) the league has not even given the official thumbs up for the move.

2. If that move to Brooklyn is not finalized before the summer, the contracts for the tv deals signed in ink, and all the legal mumbo jumbo handled then they most likely will not have that truck load of cash coming in to go after Bosh and Lebron (let alone a 3rd quality all star) this off season. 

Because getting close is not enough.

So going to a team who hasn't been close in 9 years and has one of the worst squads in NBA history makes more sense than staying with the team who was in the finals 3 years ago ?

Going to New Jersey is not a slam dunk for a championship.  Even if they do land Bosh.  This is not fantasy basketball.  There is more nuance to basketball than just plugging in players who play good individually on other teams.

Can they trade the contract of Aaron McKie to make it work like the Lakers did with Kwame for Gasol?  This is not fantasy basketball.

Do you understand what the phrase FREE AGENT means?  You can't trade a contract when you are signing a free agent but hay, keep it up with those stupid comments.  It does my job for me.

I don't need to be reminded it is not fantasy basketball.  I think you do.  You are the one who thinks the Nets can sign 3 max contracts.  On top of that you think just plugging players in who post great numbers in box scores automatically means you win week after week as if it is fantasy basketball.  I think the Houston Rockets and Portland Trailblazers may want to have a word with you  ;)

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2010, 12:56:29 PM »

Norm Nixon
The Nets and Lebron are gonna do this the non general way.

Norm Nixon?  When did he go to a bad team as a free agent?  His trip to the Clippers was a *TRADE* - not a willing choice.  Or is he the last Laker SUPERSTAR not to retire as a Laker?

The Nets will end up signing the equivalent of Ron Mercer.  Over-pay for someone pretty young who isn't really among the elite class of the league.  Mark my words.  (Is any young big name in Atlanta a free agent this year?)
Joe

-----------