Author Topic: 2009-2010 College Basketball Thread (aka pre-pre-pre-pre draft thread)  (Read 8396 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Just watched the game tape from Kansas' dismantling of Hofstra.  Hard to read too much into games this early in the season, but Xavier Henry's a guy who you should keep your eye on.  He's a guy I think will shoot up the boards come draft time, and a guy that would be a great fit for the Sixers.  He has his weaknesses, some of which (midrange game) that I think is correctable, others that I have more longer term worries about (his body control on drives seemed a little questionable, but I'm hoping this is small sample size), but his stroke is pure, and something that should carry over.  Good size, good lengths, good athleticism.  His handle's extremely unpolished at this point, and that's going to be key.  With his shooting and athleticism, if he develops his handle he could be a top 10 pick.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2009-2010 College Basketball Thread (aka pre-pre-pre-pre draft thread)
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 11:52:31 PM »
Also saw UNC's first two games, and I'm not quite as high on Ed Davis as some others, at least I'm not sold yet  (haven't gotten to see Valparaiso yet, and he played better in that one).  Very slender, and while he's obviously athletic (quick, fast, etc), but I don't see the explosion when leaping off of two feet, a problem for big men.  That combined with his frame and I question he ability to finish down low consistently, and he doesn't have the range to compensate for that yet. 

Finally, saw tape from Wake Forest's first two games.  Not sure how I project Aminu in the NBA.  Very athletic, but right now he's relying on that.  Again, touch around the rim and ballhandling are a question, and hasn't shown much of a back to the basket game, and the jump shot is inconsistent, both in terms of release and results.  Has some work to do if he wants to play the 3 in the NBA.

Offline rswknight

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 05:00:24 PM »
What do you think of Aldrich?  IMO, the Sixers primary need in the draft is a Defensive Anchor, and I think he fits the bill.  Especially if Jordan coaches the whole year and we get a high pick.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 07:08:10 PM »
As a defender/rebounder, love him. Think he's got passing skills that should improve with experience.

I think there's some question around NBA GM's about how well his post game's going to translate. His lift is a concern, and right now he's a little methodical, and a little predictable. He's about twice as likely to go over his right shoulder than his left shoulder, which is a little odd since he's right handed, and he's a little hesitant to use his left hand. He ends up turning over his right shoulder then trying to finish with his right hand. He gets away with it in college because he's generally considerably bigger and longer than the guy guarding him, but that will get blocked in the NBA. he desperately needs to develop a left handed hook, turnaround jumper and a good up and under move to offset that.

I think you could see him fall on draft night similar to the way Brook Lopez did. It'll be interesting to see how well he measures (particularly standing reach).

My reservations about him in the 6-10 range would be much less than 1-5 range.

jemagee

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 07:10:07 PM »
He's about twice as likely to go over his right shoulder than his left shoulder, which is a little odd since he's right handed, and he's a little hesitant to use his left hand. He ends up turning over his right shoulder then trying to finish with his right hand.

I haven't seen the guy I know nothinga bout him but my question when I read this is how is he when he goes over his left shoulder?  Is it there or is he just bad at it so he avoids it?  Reason I ask is because if he's 'good' when he goes over his left shoulder then it's jst a matter of coaching and repetition to get going to the left more often...or is that what you meant when you said he needs a left handed hook?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 07:21:50 PM »
I'll have to go back and look at some film.  He didn't seem like his left hand was completely useless, but he did seem a little uncomfortable with it.  But it was a small sample size that I actually saw him try to use it in the post.

jemagee

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 12:02:05 PM »
Aldrich on ESPN right now for the 'green game' - DX currently projects him at 4 (and the sixers at 4)

First Half thoughts from my less than 'expert' basketball mind...I like Aldrich defensively, he seems to know what he's doing, how to play off his man enough to still get in his face when the shot is put up but to be able to box out for rebounds.  Kansas seems to be playing a man to man defense and Michigan keeps everyone outside the perimeter type stuff, haven't seen a lot of posting up from Michigan yet.  He likes to hang in the lane defensively, he'd have to work on that in the NBA, but he seems to have a good 'defensive IQ', sure he's not the most athletic guy but he's 6'11, he can slide his feet well trying to stay in front of a man and he just seems to know how to position defensively, he just seems to KNOW what he's doing defensively, which I guess after years of watching Sam is really appealling to me.

Offensively, he does seem limited, but at the same time Kansas offense doesn't seem to use him much, he knows how to post up and get position, but like Derek said his offensive moves are pretty limited, he's made a couple nice passes out of the post to an open shooter which I always like to see...

Course this is just one half of basketball, but he looks like a good player to me, and while DX says he doesn't look good at camps, in the game he looks good to me.

I think if you factor in the rest of the team he could be a truly solid pick if the sixers are picking that high.

Holiday
Iguodala
Young
Speights
Aldrich

Aldrich would compliment speights I think in a way sam can't because Aldrich seems to me to have that basketball IQ that sam never seems to have or develop.

Aldrich has a really funky FT motion but I hope no one in the NBA trys to change it, at 70% FT (ESPN announcers said I didn't look it up) I wouldn't mess with it, that'ws pretty good for a big man....

One thing though, about 6 minutes left in the game against Michigan, and Aldrich seems pretty gassed in a way that I don't think he should be, not sure if there's any history of this but I'd be interested in any information known about his condtitioning
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 01:51:42 PM by jemagee »

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 02:08:35 PM »
He's not a first rounder, but if the sixers wanted to use a second round pick on dexter pittman i wouldn't be disappointed

jemagee

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 01:10:36 PM »
Aldrich and Pittman both on ESPN tonight

jemagee

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 01:58:48 PM »
Guess I wasn't the only one who noticed - though it's chad ford

Were NBA scouts concerned about the way Ed Davis got manhandled on the boards by Dexter Pittman.
Chad Ford  (1:57 PM)

Not really. Pittman has 70 pounds on Davis and it wasn't like Davis was terrible in that game (20 points, 10 boards). I think what it did do was raise Pittman's draft stock in the minds of a number of NBA decision makers. I think he's now firmly planted as a legit first round prospect -- might even go lottery if he keeps playing like he did against North Carolina. NBA GMs love big men and there is no one bigger than Pittman.

Offline marklapinski

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 07:23:46 PM »
When I think of Cole Aldrich Greg Ostertag and Kent Benson come to mind.  I don't see living up to some of the hype.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 06:57:34 PM »
I am trying to get a bit more into college basketball, do you guys recommend any websites that are good to read to keep up?  I find the biggest problem for me personally is trying to keep up with all the games. 

And please don't say the evil four letter word.  I don't think its that great of a place to keep up on college basketball outside of box scores.  Not much analysis.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 06:25:43 PM »
ooh.  ooh.
<plug>
http://www.draftexpress.com
</plug>

Thank you sir, just book marked it!
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com