Author Topic: Donaghy book "Blowing the Whistle: The Culture of Fraud in the NBA"  (Read 3878 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Cancelled, no big surprise. >:(  For now. 

Hope lives on that other publishers will publish in the face of death threats and other skeevy actions from Sterns masters, the Lakers and other NBA sources.

"Pat Berdan, a senior consultant at Executive Prison Consultants and Donaghy's liaison to the publisher, said that the decision not to publish the book came two weeks ago. He said it was the result of a threat of legal action by the NBA."

"Donaghy said in a court filing that the league routinely encouraged refs to ring up bogus fouls to manipulate results, while discouraging them from calling technical fouls on star players."

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Donaghy book "Blowing the Whistle: The Culture of Fraud in the NBA"
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 12:22:59 PM »
This issue is not going away, and the NBA's reach doesn't extend that far outside the US. Somewhere someone will publish it, excepts will appear in US publications. When they start to sell it here, and the NBA protests and files suit, Donahey can counter that it is harrassement and restraint of trade. If Stern has something to hide here, he's in trouble.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 12:25:04 PM »
"If" rt, "if"?  :D :D

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 08:02:03 PM »
Damn and I was hoping to get more information on how the league manipulated suspensions to key Phoenix Suns players which led to the Spurs winning their 4th title.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 05:55:47 AM »
More:

If Kobe Bryant had two fouls in the first or second quarter and went to the bench, one referee would tell the other two, "Kobe's got two fouls. Let's make sure that if we call a foul on him, it's an obvious foul, because otherwise he's gonna go back to the bench. If he is involved in a play where a foul is called, give the foul to another player."

http://deadspin.com/5392067/excerpts-from-the-book-the-nba-doesnt-want-you-to-read

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 11:51:21 AM »
More:

If Kobe Bryant had two fouls in the first or second quarter and went to the bench, one referee would tell the other two, "Kobe's got two fouls. Let's make sure that if we call a foul on him, it's an obvious foul, because otherwise he's gonna go back to the bench. If he is involved in a play where a foul is called, give the foul to another player."

http://deadspin.com/5392067/excerpts-from-the-book-the-nba-doesnt-want-you-to-read

Did you really need a book to tell you how the league handles assigning fouls to star players LOL.  They do this for Duncan as well.  He comits the foul but Horry gets it instead.  I can't think of a single star player they DONT do this for.

Mr box score, it pays to watch games.  I know you have a chubby because Kobe was specifically mentioned but it happens ALL THE TIME and has for DECADES.  Either you are being dense just to single out Kobe for your own lame amusment or you really don't take in what you watch (if you really watch half the time)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 11:59:11 AM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"This user is currently ignored."    :(
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 12:47:01 PM »
 :D

I am going to ignore Wow as well out of stupidity.  Why would you go into a thread Reality made and not expect someone to quote him LOL!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 12:49:22 PM by westkoast »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 12:50:25 PM »
Why would you go into a thread Reality made!

koast...I fixed your statement based on to whom it was targeted.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 11:01:31 AM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"This user is currently ignored."    :(
dabods
"If you want to ignore them, then IGNORE them.  don't go "nananananana, I don't see your posts!".
:D  Exactly. W.O.W.s acting like the 4 year old "I'm not listening to you, I'm not listening to you!  nanananananana!"

lurker
You obviously aren't ignoring him.

Bods is right on this point.  Either ignore the person or not.  If you are going to continue to post in his threads then why use the ignore feature?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 12:32:21 AM »
Books back on.  :)
Dec 4th online version.

Former NBA referee Tim Donaghy's book, dropped in late October by a division of Random House, is back with a new title and a new publisher.

"Personal Foul: A First-Person Account of the Scandal that Rocked the NBA" is now available for sale online, with a publish date of Dec. 4. It is being sold through CreateSpace, a self-publishing arm of Amazon.com, although the publisher is a Florida-based business called VTi Group, Inc., whose primary business has been marketing.

"We approached Mr. Donaghy after learning that his original publishing deal fell through," says Benjamin Daniel, a project manager at VTi. "With a background in web media and traditional publishing, Mr. Donaghy felt that our firm was the best fit to become the publisher for this unique project."

Daniel says the new book is essentially the same as the one that was dropped by Random House over liability concerns, with some edits and additions.

"Personal Foul" is an insider's account of a tale that has been much-told by outsiders. In its basic outline, the narrative confirms what has been told. Donaghy began betting on sports with a friend, Jack Concannon. He quickly got involved in more different kinds of gambling, to the point of obsession. In the early stages of his gambling addiction, he avoided betting on the NBA, but, he writes, by November 2003 that line was crossed too, and before long he found he was extremely adept at picking NBA winners.

Eventually, writes Donaghy, Thomas Martino and James Battista convinced Donaghy to provide his NBA picks to Battista instead of Concannon, and they struck an arrangement by which Donaghy would be paid for every correct pick he provided. That relationship led to Donaghy's being disgraced as a referee, and incarcerated for his crimes. He was released Nov. 4.

Donaghy is adamant throughout the book that his NBA betting success was not attributable to influencing NBA games with his own whistle. Instead, he says that his insider's knowledge -- the referee's master schedule, for instance, and first-hand knowledge of referees and their biases -- was all he needed to consistently outfox oddsmakers. The implication is that many NBA referees are not fair in how they call games.

In the book's introduction, retired FBI supervisory special agent Phil Scala describes the high expectations of truth-telling placed on cooperating witnesses like Donaghy.

Donaghy has recorded an interview with the CBS program 60 Minutes that is scheduled to air this Sunday.

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 11:26:18 AM »
Happened to catch the interview.   Much of what Donaghy says makes sense though it's tough to believe him when he says he didn't directly alter NBA games that he was working.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 12:47:29 PM »
Agree completely jn.  I think that is legal paranoia by Donaghy.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 02:49:04 PM »
I look at the entire story from the viewpoint of self-interest.

Donaghy bet on games.  Donaghy called games he bet on.  Donaghy intentionally inappropriately influenced games he bet on.

The NBA continually directs referees to call games in specific ways.  The NBA assigns officials based on a controlling-the-message agenda.

Donaghy implicated the NBA because it got him a lighter sentence.  The NBA did the internal investigation not to uncover the truth, but to produce the message they wanted to send.  The NBA promised officiating transparency because it had to, and hasn't provided it because the promise alone was enough to achieve the goal which they wished - namely, cleaning up their name.  Scrutiny of officiating is bad for basketball, so we'll never see it.

We were all upset when Baron Davis's shot in Hornets vs. Magic didn't count, and the game went into overtime, when Davis clearly beat the clock.  So the NBA gave us instant replay.  HAS IT *EVER* CHANGED A GAME THAT YOU CAN REMEMBER?

There are bits and pieces of truth in both Donaghy's statements and the NBA's statements, but ultimately, all are self-serving.  We fans will *NEVER* know the *FULL* truth, and most likely not even privy to a reasonable amount of it.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!