Author Topic: Blair played 14:59 last night and tore it up for 17pts 10 boards...  (Read 3349 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Schedule said this was on tv but I did not find it so I kept track using courtside live.  I noticed Pop started with Fins, Bonner, Duncan, Jefferson and Parker.  Was waiting for Blair to come in , which I dont think was until the second half of the game, but seems he made the most of his time off the bench.  nice stats for the rookie.  I'm really impressed so far with this kid, it is preseason, but he is putting up some good numbers and is really working out there.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_spoil_Durants_homecoming.html

Spurs spoil Durant's homecoming

AUSTIN ? He dressed in the same familiar locker, jogged down the same familiar hallway, took the same familiar floor with the same familiar state outline at halfcourt.

As Oklahoma City forward Kevin Durant ran through the smoke and into the Erwin Center before Tuesday night's exhibition against the Spurs, he half expected a non-existent band to hit the opening notes of ?Texas Fight!?

And when the student section struck up a chorus of ?One more year!? during one of Durant's first-half free throws?

?It almost felt like I'd never left,? Durant said.

This night was about Durant, who flashed like a comet through Austin during the 2006-07 college basketball season, his lone collegiate season, leaving with every major national award and his No. 35 lifted to his home arena's rafters.

He was the reason the Thunder had scheduled this home preseason game 380 miles from home. It didn't seem to matter that the Spurs completely party-pooped Kevin Durant Day in Austin, so proclaimed by the city's mayor, in a 119-102 victory.

For Durant, for one day, winning and losing was secondary.

?It brings back a lot of memories, man,? Durant said. ?I'm glad I went through the whole process, playing for coach (Rick) Barnes, coming to the great state of Texas. It got me to where I am today.?

Durant had 23 points in the loss, shooting 11 of 22 from the field, but only four after halftime as the Spurs' defense began to find a foothold. He made one 17-foot fadeaway in the first half that Richard Jefferson couldn't have blocked with a rake.

?He's almost impossible to guard one-on-one,? Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. ?He's going to get done whatever he needs to get done.?

A crowd of 10,290 cheered every basket by Durant, and every basket by the Spurs. There were many of both variety.

The Spurs shot 14 of 19 from the 3-point line, with Michael Finley, Matt Bonner and Jefferson combining to go 11 for 11. Finley, who hit five 3-pointers, led the Spurs with 20 points.

Rookie forward DeJuan Blair, reprising his ever-ready role off the bench, ended with 17 points and 10 rebounds despite not entering the game until the middle of the third quarter.

Given it was the first game Popovich went with some semblance of a plausible rotation, he was pleased with what he saw in his veterans.

?It was good for them,? Popovich said. ?They needed to see what it was like to play with each other, and adjust to each other. It takes a while to put that together.?

No matter the outcome, the night was quite literally Durant's.

For Durant, the NBA's sixth-leading scorer last season, it was the first game in the Erwin Center since scoring 30 in an overtime victory over Texas A&M on Feb. 28, 2007. And, yes, he remembered.

Durant's trip down memory lane began well before game time. In the morning, he dropped in on a study hall filled with former teammates. By mid-afternoon, he was leading fellow Thunder players James Harden and Russell Westbrook on a guided tour of the campus. Just before the game, he was auditing a workout of this year's UT team.

It wasn't the first time he'd dropped in on a UT practice since becoming the NBA's No. 2 overall pick in 2007. Durant, who is still working toward his education degree, made several cameos in between summer school classes.

?Only being here one year, you wouldn't think I'd be so attached,? Durant said. ?But I love this place. The whole program was so good to me. I'm just trying to do my part by coming back.?

As he walked off the floor for the final time, hordes of kids wearing his jersey and screaming his name, he flashed a quick ?Hook 'em.?

It was, again, almost as if he had never left.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

jemagee

Re: Blair played 14:59 last night and tore it up for 17pts 10 boards...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 12:23:19 PM »
I didn't know the regular season started yet

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 03:18:48 PM »

No, it hasn't but this is a great showing by this rookie.  I am pumped for the season to get started now!
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 08:28:28 PM »
I'm pumped to watch the refs go through pre seson in games that count - who wouldn't be?

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 10:00:19 PM »
I'm pumped to watch the refs go through pre seson in games that count - who wouldn't be?

OK your jibber jabber is at a 9 we need more around 3.. :-\

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 01:49:05 PM »
I can't wait to see Blair in the reg season.

NOTABLE: X-rays on DeJuan Blair?s bruised tailbone were negative Saturday. The rookie is considered day-to-day for practices but is not expected to miss Wednesday?s season-opener against New Orleans.

I don't get into the PER stuff too much but still, check it out!:

http://www.nba.com/statistics/player...DD=All%20Teams

Blair has an efficiency per 48 minutes of over 50!

Blair per 48 minutes:

39.2 points
21.9 rebounds
3.5 assists
4.5 steals
0.5 blocks

The only player ahead of him played only 7 minutes (Jason Collins).

The players close behind him have all played only 1 or 2 games and few minutes.

You have to go down to Kevin Love at # 7, before you have a player with real minutes. But Love only played 4 games to 6 for Blair, and Love has efficiency/48mins of only 44.62.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 03:33:06 PM »

No, it hasn't but this is a great showing by this rookie.  I am pumped for the season to get started now!

I guess I don't get the hype, unless Duncan decides to 'man up' and play center, this kid is not going to get much PT.  I doubt Duncan grows a set and decides to play center the rest of his career so I don't see where Blair would fit in as a starter.  Blair is not big enough to play the 5, not the way McDyse is able to, in all honesty Spurs fans, how does he fit in as a solid PT and stat contributor?  IMO Blair only fits in with an offensive minded 2nd unit or when TD slides over to center.  I think there are too many big centers out West for TD to play that spot for extended minutes.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 04:38:41 PM »

I guess I don't get the hype, unless Duncan decides to 'man up' and play center, this kid is not going to get much PT.  I doubt Duncan grows a set and decides to play center the rest of his career so I don't see where Blair would fit in as a starter.  Blair is not big enough to play the 5, not the way McDyse is able to, in all honesty Spurs fans, how does he fit in as a solid PT and stat contributor?  IMO Blair only fits in with an offensive minded 2nd unit or when TD slides over to center.  I think there are too many big centers out West for TD to play that spot for extended minutes.

Too many big center out West?  There's Ming...except he's out...there's Oden...if he turns out to be what many think he is...there's Kaman...there's Dampier...there's Bynum....

All the centers in the West except a very few have played significant minutes of their careers as power forwards.  The only ones that haven't are Oden, Hawes, Kaman, Bynum, Thabeet, Przybilla, Ming (out), and Dampier.  Our current "centers" include:  Nene, Okur, Okafor, Krstic, Jefferson, Camby, Biedrens, Anderson, Stoudemire, P. Gasol, M. Gasol, Scola, and Diop.

I say it's time to make Duncan a center.  The place where there are *BIG* centers is in the EAST.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 06:10:20 PM »
I say you can easily have Blair back-up both Big spots.  Or he could stay at the 4 slot when Duncan plays the 5, and the 4 slot when McDyess spells Duncan.  Duncan can remain at the 4 when McDyess is alongside for the 28 minutes that Dice will play.

I really don't see what the big deal is here, Migs.  Blair is going to get his time.  He was the steal of the draft and he's playing like it, so far.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 06:12:03 PM by Skandery »
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 09:38:08 PM »

Too many big center out West?  There's Ming...except he's out...there's Oden...if he turns out to be what many think he is...there's Kaman...there's Dampier...there's Bynum....

All the centers in the West except a very few have played significant minutes of their careers as power forwards.  The only ones that haven't are Oden, Hawes, Kaman, Bynum, Thabeet, Przybilla, Ming (out), and Dampier.  Our current "centers" include:  Nene, Okur, Okafor, Krstic, Jefferson, Camby, Biedrens, Anderson, Stoudemire, P. Gasol, M. Gasol, Scola, and Diop.

I say it's time to make Duncan a center.  The place where there are *BIG* centers is in the EAST.

The pickings are starting to look slim, guess it might be time for Timmy to become Tim.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 11:01:21 AM »
I say you can easily have Blair back-up both Big spots.  Or he could stay at the 4 slot when Duncan plays the 5, and the 4 slot when McDyess spells Duncan.  Duncan can remain at the 4 when McDyess is alongside for the 28 minutes that Dice will play.

I really don't see what the big deal is here, Migs.  Blair is going to get his time.  He was the steal of the draft and he's playing like it, so far.
It's time for Tim to man up and accept a Bonner for Pao Gasol trade.  ::)

Pretty much just scurrred Laker Fans that are not accepting Blairs being the steal of the draft.
The Spurs.  Earning it.