Author Topic: NFL wrap  (Read 2528 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
NFL wrap
« on: October 12, 2009, 12:55:07 PM »
Broncos for real or are you still not convinced?
Completely uncharacteristic fumble by Brady yesterday in the clutch, and no bogus tuck rule to bail him out.
Also thought the taunting call against Pat db was a weak call.
That having been said, I'm still gonna wait and see how Bronco does against the Chargers in San Diego.  As idiotic as Norv Turner is, the past two seasons he has always pulled a good game out just when it seemed he was at his worst.

Cinci.  What a meltdown by Ray Lewis with his anger management issues.  Nailing ocho cinco is something i think a lot of us have been wanting to see for quite a while.  But not for pass interference to keep the Cinci drive alive when Baltimore all but had the game won.  This could come back to haunt Baltimore in the seedings.

Colts.  Peyote Manning looking as good as ever.

Pittsburg.  What can you say, when all is said and done they end up having scoreboard.

Chargers.  I think Norv has ruined them but they still have life left.  Must win at home vs Denver.  They pulled it out last year in a similiar sitch.

Giants.  Pencil them in for the NFC Title?

Vikings.  Brett Farve what can you say.  The guy is good.  I like him more now, i thought he was just a retirement drama queen and he was.  But in retro the Jets Mangini did totally screw up in how he played an injured Favre after they built up the 11-4 record.  This year Bert has been near perfect. 

Eagles.  Look for real for sure.  When do you play the Giants?

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: NFL wrap
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 03:31:45 PM »
Broncos looked real to me, but that might be because New England is only a shell of it's former self.  Why did they get rid of Vrable?

Neither Cinci nor Baltimore should be taken seriously.

Colts are for real, Manning is superb.

Pittsburgh - between them and Indy for the AFC title.

Chargers are a very talented team, and will win a lot of their games. Can't tell about them until they play a good team and win.  I don't think they have the confidence to win a tight game.

Giants, wait until they play the Eagles.

Vikings, Favre impresses the hell out of me, the guy still has it, even if he is a drama queen.

Eagles, wait until they play the Giants, first game in November.  Probably the winner will be the NFC champs. As of now the Eagles are unproven  thanks to weak early schedule.  But don't count out New Orleans either. Defense isn't quite there, but Brees can score enough to make that unimportant.

Which town is going to be title-town, New York or Philadelphia? Both have teams to win MLB and NFL. NY has no shot at NBA or NHL, but Phila. has a shot in NHL. Not fair at all since NY has 8 Professional Sport teams.

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 04:20:04 PM »
The flyers, as usual, have an imaginary shot at the stanley cup but don't have the goaltending...the phillies probably won't get past the dodgers if they get past colorado and the yankees shoudl waltz into the WS title without a problem

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 04:28:48 PM »
Eagles, wait until they play the Giants, first game in November.  Probably the winner will be the NFC champs. As of now the Eagles are unproven  thanks to weak early schedule.  But don't count out New Orleans either. Defense isn't quite there, but Brees can score enough to make that unimportant.

The Saints D has been one of the best in the league, now sure who you're watching.  Brees and Co. put so much pressure on the opposing teams offense that the Saints D is eating them up as they try to play catch-up.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 04:55:14 PM »

The Saints D has been one of the best in the league, now sure who you're watching.  Brees and Co. put so much pressure on the opposing teams offense that the Saints D is eating them up as they try to play catch-up.

Currently Saints D is ranked 7th, certainly respectable but probably not NFC championship worthy. We will find out more this week as the Giants roll into town and Eli gets to play in the building his Daddy Archie Manning was a star in.  Brees ball control ability inflates the defense's stats, IMO.

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 04:57:35 PM »
#1 offense plus #7 defense isn't too shabby.

Where are the Eagles and Giants defenses listed - and when you look at the eagles defense bear in mind how the saints offense basically bitchslapped the like they were whiney girls

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 05:27:34 PM »
#1 offense plus #7 defense isn't too shabby.

Where are the Eagles and Giants defenses listed - and when you look at the eagles defense bear in mind how the saints offense basically bitchslapped the like they were whiney girls

Eagles defense is #18 in points/game, #3 in yards/game.  (remember, part of the Saints debacle that resulted in a lot of points were 2 turnovers deep in the Eagles zone).

Eagles offense is #2 in points/game and #8 in yards/game.

none of this matters through 4 games.  Not with the cupcake schedule we've played.

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 06:20:30 PM »
There are a lot of really bad teams in the NFL

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 09:18:27 PM »
The flyers, as usual, have an imaginary shot at the stanley cup but don't have the goaltending...the phillies probably won't get past the dodgers if they get past colorado and the yankees shoudl waltz into the WS title without a problem

For a guy who grew up in the area, you're just blabbing about this and that. Never go against the Champions, particularly when they beat the Dodgers last season in the NLCS. Phillies bats are terrific and they added last season's AL Cy Young winner to their pitching staff. Tonights game against Colorado was terrific entertainment and winning it by scoring 2 runs to go ahead in the top of the ninth away in Denver shows that they are a very dangerous team.

It's way too early in the season to say anything about the Flyers. Other than that they are much improved.

The Eagles stats are excellent considering they have played two games including the Saints game without McNabb. The only thing that bothers me about the Eagles is that they score too quickly and fail to give the defense rest. They were also weak against the run and added a middle linebacker who appeared fine last weekend, to replace their starter who went down before the start of the season.  We still have to see how good the Eagles are, they haven't even unveiled the real wildcat yet. The first time they run it and Vick throws instead of running every other team in the league will get very worried.

Three out of four ain't bad, and in spite of the unappreciative analysis of the Sixers, the changes they have made are significant and indicate a very bright future. Someone's stat-based analysis suggests that Iguodala is the best player in the NBA.  I wouldn't go that far, but he clearly makes the Sixers much better when he is on the floor. The three teams that everyone picks ahead of them have all made drastic changes, which may or may not pan out. I'm going to wait a while before I decide where the Sixres are going to be, but it is a serious mistake to assume that they won't be much improved adding a 20-1o guy to a .500 ballclub.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 09:42:48 AM »
Was going to add the Jets to the list, but maybe they'll have to stay fringe elite after last night.
Their rookie qb Sanchez from USC however is the real deal.  Very impressed.  In fact i missed the Jets final drive but got a replay glimpse.  It looked like he laid another beauty pass on Braylon Edwards.  (Who dropped it?)

Fins sure came out with a new and improved attitude tho and qb Henne was very good also.

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 09:50:18 AM »
Rick

Last season has no bearing on this season...Cliff Lee won't pitch until game 3 - for whatever reason - more balls are falling for hits against cole hamels this year - consistently - being down 0-2 after two games in LA is a distinct possibility.  Tonghts game is another example of why the 'closer' mentality is idiotic.  Tracy had a left handed pitcher with good numbers against Utley and Howard in the bullpen - but it's the 9th inning so match up strategy doesn't matter...just like when Joe Nathan choked against the Yankees in Game 2.  Lidge isn't 'better' - he got one out last night and was shaky against the rockies in game 3 but their batters helped out...the dodgers currently have the better performing pitching staff...last year is irrelevant to this year...the phillies don't have any kind of 'edge' because they beat the dodgers last year...there is no 'hangover' or anything - that's a fan based delusion.

As for the flyers, i couldn't give a good god damn about them, every year they're supposed to do well every year they lose and every year they blame the goaltending - a comcast spectacor owned team will not win a title - in either sport - corporate ownership is one of the evils in professional sports in my mind.

As for the Eagles...yes they played two games without McNabb - they've played 3 really crappy teams and one really good team...they beat the 3 really crappy teams and their defense let the really good team basically walk all over them...Green Colored glasses are the only way to think that this team is in the league with the elite of the NFL right now...they beat who they were supposed to...all we've learned is that Kevin Kolb can throw for a lot of yards but makes some bad decisions (which in a guys first two starts i understandble)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 11:47:27 AM »
Rick

Last season has no bearing on this season...Cliff Lee won't pitch until game 3 - for whatever reason - more balls are falling for hits against cole hamels this year - consistently - being down 0-2 after two games in LA is a distinct possibility.  Tonghts game is another example of why the 'closer' mentality is idiotic.  Tracy had a left handed pitcher with good numbers against Utley and Howard in the bullpen - but it's the 9th inning so match up strategy doesn't matter...just like when Joe Nathan choked against the Yankees in Game 2.  Lidge isn't 'better' - he got one out last night and was shaky against the rockies in game 3 but their batters helped out...the dodgers currently have the better performing pitching staff...last year is irrelevant to this year...the phillies don't have any kind of 'edge' because they beat the dodgers last year...there is no 'hangover' or anything - that's a fan based delusion.

As for the flyers, i couldn't give a good god damn about them, every year they're supposed to do well every year they lose and every year they blame the goaltending - a comcast spectacor owned team will not win a title - in either sport - corporate ownership is one of the evils in professional sports in my mind.

As for the Eagles...yes they played two games without McNabb - they've played 3 really crappy teams and one really good team...they beat the 3 really crappy teams and their defense let the really good team basically walk all over them...Green Colored glasses are the only way to think that this team is in the league with the elite of the NFL right now...they beat who they were supposed to...all we've learned is that Kevin Kolb can throw for a lot of yards but makes some bad decisions (which in a guys first two starts i understandble)

Last night's win shows that the Phillies are a very strong confident team. They scored 3 runs in the top of the Ninth inning against a team facing elimination. Lidge has had two successful close-outs in a row.  To say last year has no relevance is silly. The Lakers are picked as this season's favorite based on what they did last season. Since there are more players in Baseball, it's not quite the same, but there's no question the Phillies are winners and no lead is safe. That definitely gives them a psychological edge, as does the fact that they beat the Dodgers last season. Baseball is a sport I'm no authority in, but the Phils have an attitude about them that I've seen before in other championship teams. Until someone knocks them off and takes that attitude away, it is a mistake to go against them.

Corporate ownership is no different than any other type, in fact the worst franchises are often owned by meddlesome egomaniacs in over their head, like Daniel Snyder for the Redskins.  Because corporate ownership is a relatively new phenomenon, you can't compare it with private ownership and say one is a better predictor of success. I worked for Comcast for a while and they are assholes, but they do run a good business, and they have spent money on their sports franchises. The Flyers and Sixers have been pretty entertaining since Comcast took them over, Sixers even go the the finals a few years ago. With 30+ teams in each league having a good record season after season is a pretty good accomplishment and no sign that corporations can't manage sports teams. Most teams are owned by groups, very few individuals have that kind of wealth to run the whole show in a major sport, it is a sign of the times and I expect that to continue.

I have already said it's too early to say anything about the Eagles, but the statistics indicate well above average performance. The penalties and special teams problems are the only red flags at this point, the offense is absurdly potent and with McNabb behind the center, exceptionally effective.

It is rare for all four teams in the major sports to be competitive at the same time in the same city, it hasn't happened in Philly since the 1980's. That's 29 years ago, and it looks like it's their turn. Makes sense as each league has about 30 teams. 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 03:49:47 PM »
New Orleans very real.  Will it last?

Philly what was that?  Losing to Oakland.

Vikings lucked out when Balti choked the field goal but that is what Brett Farve does, makes other kickers miss field goals.  ;)  That guy has reignighted MN.  JN you must be wearing a Brett jersey.

Chargers for the love of goodness run Norv.  I'm sorry PRivers signed long term.  A real coach and he would be Superbowl contender for the 3rd-4th time.

Denver  what a start.  Can they finish?

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 10:56:23 AM »
NO is very real, After beating the Giants they are the #1 team in the NFC.

Philly, after losing to Oakland, may be no better than the Cowboys. Very disappointing.

Vikings- the upstart pick that may upend New Orleans. Favre is on a mission.

Chargers - stop talking about them, not really a good team.

Denver, don't go against them either, whatever it is that makes teams win, they've got it.