Author Topic: DeJuan gets 16 points, 19 rebounds in 22 minutes! :-D  (Read 6713 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
DeJuan gets 16 points, 19 rebounds in 22 minutes! :-D
« on: October 07, 2009, 09:38:17 AM »
===fixed subject line....oops.===

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_rookie_impresses_in_preseason_loss.html

Spurs rookie impresses in preseason loss

The game was over, the sweat had dried, the media horde had finally vacated his locker. At long last after the Spurs' 99-85 preseason-opening loss to Houston on Tuesday night, Spurs rookie DeJuan Blair was ready to go home.

The only hold-up? In just his second semi-official visit to his new home arena, Blair didn't quite know which way was out.

?That way, DeJuan,? someone called out, helpfully pointing Blair in the direction of outdoors.

It was quite a contrast from what had happened for four quarters prior, when Blair always seemed to know which way to go. Namely, wherever the ball was.

Blair was a smash in his preseason debut, scoring a team-leading 16 points and grabbing 19 rebounds in 22 minutes.

?I did what they asked me to, and that's rebound,? Blair said. ?Everything else came off of that.?

Only Gregg Popovich could keep Blair, a second-round pick out Pittsburgh, from becoming the first Spurs player to grab 20 boards in the preseason since Will Perdue in 1996.

He sat Blair for most of the fourth quarter, choosing to look at other players.

After the game, Popovich pronounced himself pleased with Blair's first-game performance. Before it, the coach had cautioned about expecting too much, too soon from the 6-foot-7 rookie.

?I don't want to denigrate anything he's done in the past, and I don't want to over-emphasize anything he's doing well,? Popovich said. ?I just don't know exactly where to put him yet, as far as what kind of impact he might make.?

Popovich chose to rest many of his would-be regulars ? basically anyone over 32, plus Tony Parker ? choosing instead to give a long look to several of his youngsters.

Blair and Ian Mahinmi shared big-man minutes, with vastly different results, while second-year man George Hill ? whom Popovich has been calling his favorite player in camp ? enjoyed a solid outing in relief of Parker at the point.

It was Blair, however, who stole the show ? and, apparently, the hearts of 15,545 fans at the AT&T Center with his see-ball, get-ball ethos.

Raw offensively and undersized for a big man, the 20-year-old Blair is still very much a work in progress. Popovich wants him to fight the urge to do more than he is capable of.

?I don't want him to go out and show me how good he is,? Popovich said. ?I want him to go out and just play his game, and not try to get more minutes by showing me all these different parts of his game.?

Both sides of Blair were on display in the first quarter. Then, he ill-advisedly posted up Rockets center Chuck Hayes ? not Blair's game ? and missed badly on a turnaround. Yet he was able to birddog his own rebound for a put-back basket.

Blair missed 9 of 15 shots Tuesday, which helped account for at least some of his eight offensive rebounds.

As he proved at Pitt, and as he proved in July while demolishing the Las Vegas summer league circuit, Blair certainly has a flair for that. His new teammates have been impressed equally by the number of rebounds Blair gets as the manner in which they come.

?If an arm was close, he would have broken a couple,? Manu Ginobili said.

Still, Ginobili notes what Popovich does. There is still a ways for the rookie to go. He needs to learn the intricacies of the Spurs' pick-and-roll. There will be nights when it will be difficult to find someone for Blair to match up with defensively.

In the meantime, Blair can always do what comes natural. He can rebound.

He might not always know where he's going yet. But he certainly knows why he's here.

?That's what they brought me here for, to rebound,? Blair said. ?I've got a knack for the ball. I just go get it.?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 09:46:45 AM by SPURSX3 »
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: DeJuan gets 16 points, 19 rebounds in 22 minutes! :-D
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 10:46:13 AM »
Chuck Barkley-Dennis Rodman rebounding prowess potential?  ;)

;D ;D

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 10:53:52 AM »
I would like to think Sir Charles, but the fact is this kid will probably be limited to playing at most 25 minutes per game due to the damage he can due to his knees if he overdoes it.  Pop needs to keep his minutes in check or this kid will have a short nba career...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 11:02:18 AM »
I would like to think Sir Charles, but the fact is this kid will probably be limited to playing at most 25 minutes per game due to the damage he can due to his knees if he overdoes it.  Pop needs to keep his minutes in check or this kid will have a short nba career...

Hey - i'm rooting for the kid - I think his college  performance should have been a better indicator of 'stability' than medical doctors - i mean he's had this issue a while right? - and 22 minutes last night and some nice numbers - if he can be a 10/10 guy in 25 MPG for the rest of his career that's pretty darn good I think...

I just think the spurs are one of the 3 best run NBA franchises

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 11:08:57 AM »

Hey - i'm rooting for the kid - I think his college  performance should have been a better indicator of 'stability' than medical doctors - i mean he's had this issue a while right? - and 22 minutes last night and some nice numbers - if he can be a 10/10 guy in 25 MPG for the rest of his career that's pretty darn good I think...

I just think the spurs are one of the 3 best run NBA franchises

Yeah, I think we ended with a great steal this past draft. I just wonder how many minutes is pushing this kid with the knee issues.  Would love to see him develop into a Barkley like player.  He and Tony would be the future of this team.

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 11:14:13 AM »
Yeah, I think we ended with a great steal this past draft. I just wonder how many minutes is pushing this kid with the knee issues.  Would love to see him develop into a Barkley like player.  He and Tony would be the future of this team.

Until the draft stuff started I didn't even know he had knee issues - so how long has he had them - how did they limit him in college....I mean - yes it's college - but in terms of phsyciality - the big east is still the most physical conference right?

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 11:20:05 AM »
Not sure when issue with his knees started.  but freshman year looks like he avg 26 minutes per game, and sophmore year 27.6 mpg.  not bad considering his impact on that team.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 03:00:02 PM »
Do the Spurs REALLY need him to play more than 20 minutes a game?  I don't really think so.  That works out perfect for them and him.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 03:33:18 PM »
Do the Spurs REALLY need him to play more than 20 minutes a game?  I don't really think so.  That works out perfect for them and him.

Don't jinx us!  lol

jemagee

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 03:38:01 PM »

At some point tim duncans career will end :)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 03:40:35 PM »

Of course but this kid will NEVER be as good as Tim Duncan so they would have to address that another way.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 03:40:47 PM »

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

jemagee

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 03:43:42 PM »
Of course but this kid will NEVER be as good as Tim Duncan so they would have to address that another way.

Well no - no one will ever be as good as Tim Duncan - but having a guy who can be a starting PF in the league if Duncan ages (inevitably) or gets hurt is probably something a smart organization looks at sooner than later...not sure how many years that body has but if he's done suddenly and they have NO ONE behind him that's a lot worse than having a guy who puts up good numbers in 20 minutes who can then go to 30-35 (if blair can)...if blair can't ever do more than 25 MPG because of his knees his upside for the future of the spurs is thus limited as he wouldn't be able to fill a starting role when the end of Duncan arrives (if it's still in the prime of blairs years)

It's one things I see a lot of franchises fall down on - they assume their super star will last forver and don't even have a solid 'contingency' for when it happens...i odn't know the shelf life on a PF of duncans body type but i know he's been in the league a long time...hell - depending on the time frame a run at milsap or boozer might not have been a bad idea.

Franchises that prepare for when their stars fade are the franchises that maintain competetiveness for a period of time instead of just depending on a little lottery luck

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 06:28:21 PM »
rickortreat
Against a likely lottery team in Houston? Take a pill dude!  How much PT is he going to get behind Bonner, McDyess etc.?
Houston had Lewie Scola, Landry and Chuck Hayes going while the Spurs sat Timmy Dunks and Micheal Finley so frontlinewise it was a fair fight.
Still waiting to hear when a rookie did 19 boards in 22 minutes in preseason.  I bet you have to go back to Wilt, Mo Malone or Bob Parish.

As to how much time Blair will get, ask the guy who is 1-4 in playoff series vs Phil J.  Or ask Finley, he might be the one calling the shots for the Spurs regarding playing time.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 08:20:24 PM »

Still waiting to hear when a rookie did 19 boards in 22 minutes in preseason.  I bet you have to go back to Wilt, Mo Malone or Bob Parish.

Allah be with you Reality.......

Please do not overhype this kid to the point where everyone on this board is so sick of hearing about him they give him the Flabs treatment.  Even Kwame Brown had solid games in the pre-season  :D