Author Topic: Blazer Fan Fest  (Read 920 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Blazer Fan Fest
« on: October 05, 2009, 07:34:48 PM »
From Dwight Jaynes.  He used to be the beat reporter for the Oregonian, and now he is semi-retired.  Here was his take on the public scrimmage (fan-fest)

http://www.dwightjaynes.com/a-few-notes-and-thoughts-on-the-fan-fest

First, a big thanks to the Trail Blazers? coaches and players, and media relations department, for all the cooperation I got last night as a sideline reporter. Man, it was incredible how nice everyone was about doing interviews before, during and after that event.

I can?t even remember all the people I had on the air but it was quite a few and everyone was not only willing to do it, but seemed to have some fun with it. Nate McMillan, especially, was completely available and did two interviews. I really enjoyed that sideline role ? something I?ve never done before.

Now, to the scrimmage:

? When you see all that talent on the floor, you realize that this team is loaded. Really loaded. It?s going to be next to impossible to get all these guys enough playing time.

? The small forward battle may be the toughest one to call. I?m telling you, Nic Batum and Martell Webster have the potential to be outstanding players in the league. I was shocked by Webster?s mobility. He not only looked big and strong, he was one of the quickest and most athletic players on the floor. And of course, you know how he shoots. Batum is so much more confident he almost looks like a different player than last season. He?s looking much more for his shot. His versatility is going to make him a very, very good player as he matures. He can do everything.

? The battle for a starting job that?s the easiest to call? Of the three we?ve previously talked about, I have to think it?s the one at center. It?s seems to be important to Greg Oden that he start and that?s going to play into McMillan?s decision. But keep in mind, Oden was the No. 1 player taken in the draft. He?s supposed to start. And really, there?s no other place for him because of the importance he has in the team?s future. And come on, the way he?s played so far makes it an easy call. Unless he takes a big dip downward in the exhibition season, or suffers some sort of injury, he?s simply got to be the starter.

? Not sure about the point guard spot. Andre Miller had a shaky first half and played pretty well in the final two quarters. No doubt he?s a good player, but Steve Blake?s comfort level on that unit will be difficult to unseat. Don?t worry, though, about Miller?s ability to play with or play off Brandon Roy. He?s good enough to play with anybody.

? Man, Juwan Howard knows how to play. His passing may be his biggest asset but it?s a pleasure to watch a guy who knows where people are supposed to be and how they?re supposed to play. If they pay attention, other players on this team can learn a lot from this guy.

? I hesitate to write this because of the jinx factor, but it?s amazing how injury free this group has been so far. And really, with the youth, it should be that way. Damn, don?t blame me if it changes. But when you think about it, the depth should allow for reduced minutes for everyone on this roster throughout the regular season. I would hope that would be a help in reducing injuries, too.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil